ADVERTISEMENT

You Have To Admit

iubhounds

All-American
Feb 15, 2002
Whether you are for or against CTA's program you have to admit something is wrong. Good players from top programs declaring for the transfer portal. Good teams not in the Power5 getting some of those players while other B1G teams are too. The only announcement I have seen from IU is getting the JuCo DB. 14 players have declared for the portal from IU, subtract the 4 walk-ons ... that leaves 10 open scholarships and some that would have been starting in 2023. Playing time is available for those portal players but have I missed the announcements that IU FB has them in for an official visit? Yes, coaches are out recruiting but so are all the other coaches, yet they are not only hosting portal transfers they are getting them.

1 Juco DB and not a word about anything else, except a couple of photos with CTA and an assistant coach with a recruit on an in-home visit.

You have to admit something is wrong ... UNLESS ... CTA has decided to fill positions with high school recruits. Yes, they have announced who they are looking at in the portal but many of them have announced they are going to other schools.

An example that makes my brain cells scramble. IOWA ... worst offense in the B1G if not the nation. An OC that is hated more by Iowa fans than IU fans hate Bell and no hope on the O side of things ... yet they get a QB from Michigan and just today a TE from Michigan, both that have started for the Wolverines. How does that happen, compared to IU? Don't tell me it's the coach. Iowa fans have been screaming to fire their long time coach this season and besides his son is the OC and not liked.

What is going on with IU and getting players from the transfer portal??

Reactions: vesuvius13
Whether you are for or against CTA's program you have to admit something is wrong. Good players from top programs declaring for the transfer portal. Good teams not in the Power5 getting some of those players while other B1G teams are too. The only announcement I have seen from IU is getting the JuCo DB. 14 players have declared for the portal from IU, subtract the 4 walk-ons ... that leaves 10 open scholarships and some that would have been starting in 2023. Playing time is available for those portal players but have I missed the announcements that IU FB has them in for an official visit? Yes, coaches are out recruiting but so are all the other coaches, yet they are not only hosting portal transfers they are getting them.

1 Juco DB and not a word about anything else, except a couple of photos with CTA and an assistant coach with a recruit on an in-home visit.

You have to admit something is wrong ... UNLESS ... CTA has decided to fill positions with high school recruits. Yes, they have announced who they are looking at in the portal but many of them have announced they are going to other schools.

An example that makes my brain cells scramble. IOWA ... worst offense in the B1G if not the nation. An OC that is hated more by Iowa fans than IU fans hate Bell and no hope on the O side of things ... yet they get a QB from Michigan and just today a TE from Michigan, both that have started for the Wolverines. How does that happen, compared to IU? Don't tell me it's the coach. Iowa fans have been screaming to fire their long time coach this season and besides his son is the OC and not liked.

What is going on with IU and getting players from the transfer portal??
You might want this to play out a little longer before you proclaim the big failure. Let me know a week after signing day.

You might want this to play out a little longer before you proclaim the big failure. Let me know a week after signing day.
I will definitely be waiting for signing day. Still, not claiming it is a failure (your words) but many of our opponents have a good head start after they were leading us to begin with. You cannot deny that.

What do you do with a verbal recruit, whose photo with the coaches were on Twitter just yesterday and today is visiting Tulane. Not a problem?

Reactions: jsenleo
What do you do with a verbal recruit, whose photo with the coaches were on Twitter just yesterday and today is visiting Tulane. Not a problem?
Well we do have 2 million dollars to spend so could be being picky. More players in the portal every day. Texas Tech had 5 enter today and we have an assistant coach from there.

Well we do have 2 million dollars to spend so could be being picky. More players in the portal every day. Texas Tech had 5 enter today and we have an assistant coach from there.
Are we sure that goes to football?
Dolson’s letter specifically calls out the fact that the donor can specify what program they want the NIL money to go to. Who is to say that at the end of the day, we find out that $100,000 was routed toward football and $1.9 million to Trace Jackson-Davis’ bank account?

What player would want to join this dumpster fire? IU self imposed the death penalty. It will be playing with walk-ons and castoffs the next two seasons.

Dolson’s letter specifically calls out the fact that the donor can specify what program they want the NIL money to go to. Who is to say that at the end of the day, we find out that $100,000 was routed toward football and $1.9 million to Trace Jackson-Davis’ bank account?
I talked to Tyler at Hoosiers for Good. Overwhelming majority is for football.

My consistent take here is this: Definitely been a rough 2 years for Allen. Hiller did SO much damage to his reputation, then add playing Baze without any chances for Tuttle/Williams until too late, not playing Henderson enough, and ending year saying "We need a mobile QB for sure" as if he doesn't know what he wants in his program after 6 years.

However, I don't think Allen is a quitter, but believe has a good grinder work ethic. He definitely in my view made a great OL coach hire, which was badly needed post Hiller, and which "should" help with recruiting QB's, WR, RB's knowing we may have a chance to do something in the future.

As per portal/recruiting...Think the ONLY fair thing is to wait until "Portal 1 timeline" is closed and then review what do we have from portal and HS recruits? (I.e. did we flip any good HS recruits?)

If all bowl bound teams could also be adding players into the portal, that is about what 32 or so more teams, many strong programs, that we could also be adding from. Who knows how the musical chairs works in terms of IU maybe being able to have some good options in the end when the music stops and there are legit good players who may have over played their hands and are left with only an IU chair left available?

Does it look superb right now? No. But why judge something on 12/14/22 when the portal closes on 1/18/23?

If we have completely struck out by then, then fire away. But suggest everyone keep the powder dry until 1/18/23 before judging EXACTLY how we've done. (And even then, remember there will be "Portal 2" potential at the end of spring ball too.

It's a marathon, not a 100-yd dash!

My consistent take here is this: Definitely been a rough 2 years for Allen. Hiller did SO much damage to his reputation, then add playing Baze without any chances for Tuttle/Williams until too late, not playing Henderson enough, and ending year saying "We need a mobile QB for sure" as if he doesn't know what he wants in his program after 6 years.

However, I don't think Allen is a quitter, but believe has a good grinder work ethic. He definitely in my view made a great OL coach hire, which was badly needed post Hiller, and which "should" help with recruiting QB's, WR, RB's knowing we may have a chance to do something in the future.

As per portal/recruiting...Think the ONLY fair thing is to wait until "Portal 1 timeline" is closed and then review what do we have from portal and HS recruits? (I.e. did we flip any good HS recruits?)

If all bowl bound teams could also be adding players into the portal, that is about what 32 or so more teams, many strong programs, that we could also be adding from. Who knows how the musical chairs works in terms of IU maybe being able to have some good options in the end when the music stops and there are legit good players who may have over played their hands and are left with only an IU chair left available?

Does it look superb right now? No. But why judge something on 12/14/22 when the portal closes on 1/18/23?

If we have completely struck out by then, then fire away. But suggest everyone keep the powder dry until 1/18/23 before judging EXACTLY how we've done. (And even then, remember there will be "Portal 2" potential at the end of spring ball too.

Bill Lynch was a grinder with a good work ethic.

For some reason I had the middle of December in my mind for signing day. Thanks for the clarification.

What does what the fans think of a coach have to do with how he relates to recruits?
*This rebuttal is actually aimed at the original poster: Iubhonds , not you Al...*

Recruiting has been the least of TA's problems while he's been here...

I both respect and enjoy most of your posts on here... This doesn't seem like you to be this concerned in this early in the game...

While it's apparent we're taking a different tact away from hoping that just because a guy was a backup on a big name SEC team that he will automatically flourish as starter here..

I like the new approach... I'd much rather have a guy out there who can actually catch the ball And hold on to it (as in Camper a *JC player*) or a guy from D2 who has similar traits...

I ask you to give a TA and staff a few weeks see how your Valued, respected, Valid, concerns turn out , positive or negative...

Last edited:
Lol, that's Indiana in a nutshell. It's terrible optics, it really is.

Tom Allen has in some ways been his own worst enemy, so his leash is shorter for sure. (With no buyout he may have been gone).

But he’s here now, going to be coach next year, so I am trying to be as positive as possible for now.

If Boatad can be close to his Wiscy days, that alone could be huge. Let’s hope he can, because I think Hiller’s ineptness led to an offense so bad it demoralized an otherwise decent defense that was doing it’s part until whelks del off.

If we can get more Juco players like Camper, sign me up.

And hopefully Allen can reflect and grow from being down and make some changes in his hyper kinetic sideline behavior, or let go of DC play calling role, and realize can’t be so hands off on offense to have another Baze debacle.

Those are hopes, definitely not guarantees. But life is often a pendulum and I want to believe it could swing back IU’s way. 🤞

Tom Allen has in some ways been his own worst enemy, so his leash is shorter for sure. (With no buyout he may have been gone).

But he’s here now, going to be coach next year, so I am trying to be as positive as possible for now.

If Boatad can be close to his Wiscy days, that alone could be huge. Let’s hope he can, because I think Hiller’s ineptness led to an offense so bad it demoralized an otherwise decent defense that was doing it’s part until whelks del off.

If we can get more Juco players like Camper, sign me up.

And hopefully Allen can reflect and grow from being down and make some changes in his hyper kinetic sideline behavior, or let go of DC play calling role, and realize can’t be so hands off on offense to have another Baze debacle.

Those are hopes, definitely not guarantees. But life is often a pendulum and I want to believe it could swing back IU’s way. 🤞
If Allen hasn’t changed by now he never will. He is who he is. Did Crean stop being a spaz? Did Archie stop having the personality of a brick?

If Allen hasn’t changed by now he never will. He is who he is. Did Crean stop being a spaz? Did Archie stop having the personality of a brick?
I don't think Allen's personality really makes a difference. What type of coaching talent he surrounds himself with does however. He still acted like a maniac when they went 8-4 and 6-2 just a few years ago, difference being Deboer and Wommack were on staff.

I don't think Allen's personality really makes a difference. What type of coaching talent he surrounds himself with does however. He still acted like a maniac when they went 8-4 and 6-2 just a few years ago, difference being Deboer and Wommack were on staff.
Maybe so, but I also think the psycho face, slow build up into a rage speeches in pregame or practices and jumping around like a crazy man on sidelines in games could wear thin with players. Tone some of that down and act like you’ve been there might help his cause too.

What makes you think CTA will be smarter next year? Not a better coach, just more in tune with the team and using more common sense? Is there another Rod Carey in the fold
The elimination of Hiller could be the turning point. We have talented you OL. Defense is going to be the issue to solve. This freshmen class with the OL, Lucas and Nick James will be very important. Omar Cooper as well. Hopefully the 2 million in NIL will pay off.

Reactions: 76-1
Bill Lynch was a grinder with a good work ethic.

But prioritized playing upperclassman over all else and didn't seem to make much in the way of halftime adjustments. Talent dwindled under his watch as well. His peak was taking Hep's team but couldn't sustain anything, let alone build on it.

Are you saying you would trade Allen for Lynch?

But prioritized playing upperclassman over all else and didn't seem to make much in the way of halftime adjustments. Talent dwindled under his watch as well. His peak was taking Hep's team but couldn't sustain anything, let alone build on it.

Are you saying you would trade Allen for Lynch?
Jesus. No! Making the point that being a grinder and a hard worker doesn’t mean anything in terms of W’s and L’s.

Reactions: IUgradman
Jesus. No! Making the point that being a grinder and a hard worker doesn’t mean anything in terms of W’s and L’s.

oh ok. I'd say you have to be a hard worker but it doesn't guarantee anything in the Ws and Ls. If you're not a hard worker, then you can guarantee Ls.

Gotta work smart and hard.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yes. with our schedule if we go 2-10 I think he's gone.
Maybe, if TA were willing to accept a negotiated settlement like Chryst did

(it would be IMO stunning and out of character for IU to be both able and willing to spend twice as much to buy out a football coach as it recently did—with donor help—to buy out a basketball coach

Maybe so, but I also think the psycho face, slow build up into a rage speeches in pregame or practices and jumping around like a crazy man on sidelines in games could wear thin with players. Tone some of that down and act like you’ve been there might help his cause too.
It would sure as hell help my cause. Drives me nuts when he goes theatrical.

Reactions: jsenleo
I particularly enjoy watching him head bump players coming off the field who are wearing helmets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT