ADVERTISEMENT

You guys are elite

You guys proved a lot of people wrong on Saturday. I was rooting for you the whole way, and even though it didn’t end up like you guys wanted, you showed you guys belong in the top 10. I hope Iowa can get up to number 2 in the West so our teams can play in week 9. It would be a fun match up to watch.
I think Iowa is the best team in the west. If it wasnt for the slow start you guys would be playing in Indy. I think we end up playing and it will be a tough game.

I wonder if that is how they would match us up? NW is likely in the B1G title game, even if WI finished 2nd, I think they wouldn't want us playing them again so we would play Iowa, right?

Reactions: vesuvius13
You guys proved a lot of people wrong on Saturday. I was rooting for you the whole way, and even though it didn’t end up like you guys wanted, you showed you guys belong in the top 10. I hope Iowa can get up to number 2 in the West so our teams can play in week 9. It would be a fun match up to watch.
I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to call IU elite, but I really appreciate the sentiment.

The passing game has been there, if not inconsistently at times. The run game has been very rough, although they've put games (MSU & UM) away with long drives at the end. The defense (other than a game breaking pass rusher) has been outstanding overall and really carried the team.

If IU can win out, it seems that Iowa is the most likely week 9 matchup, and it seems like it could be a good game on paper.

I’ve said for decades that IU could have a good team if they focused on defense. You don’t:

1. Put all your best athletes on offense.
2. Hope to win games outscoring the other team.

Those two points were what IU tried to exist on for years until it hired a coach with a defensive background.

I think Iowa is the best team in the west. If it wasnt for the slow start you guys would be playing in Indy. I think we end up playing and it will be a tough game.
I feel similarly. Iowa always seems to do better as the season progresses and I think we are beginning to see that. The run game and o-line have been really good and the defense has picked up right where it left off last year. It just sucks we couldn’t start well this year.

I feel similarly. Iowa always seems to do better as the season progresses and I think we are beginning to see that. The run game and o-line have been really good and the defense has picked up right where it left off last year. It just sucks we couldn’t start well this year.
How is Cronk playing?

It's almost like everyone who told him he was actually a guard and that moving inside would be the best for his pro prospects was actually right...
I don’t think he will ever start at tackle again for the Hawks. Even with Alaric Jackson moving in next year, Iowa still has some really good players behind him. He also won’t take Mark Kallenberger’s spot because he’s been one of the more underrated offensive lineman this year.

I don’t think he will ever start at tackle again for the Hawks. Even with Alaric Jackson moving in next year, Iowa still has some really good players behind him. He also won’t take Mark Kallenberger’s spot because he’s been one of the more underrated offensive lineman this year.
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic since he basically left IU because the staff told him he was a OG and that Bedford and Jones would be the starting OT's. He and his family made a "business decision" that he is an OT and moved on. They appear to have made a very bad decision and it sucks for us and him...and Iowa.

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic since he basically left IU because the staff told him he was a OG and that Bedford and Jones would be the starting OT's. He and his family made a "business decision" that he is an OT and moved on. They appear to have made a very bad decision and it sucks for us and him...and Iowa.
I feel for him. He won’t be a starting tackle at Iowa again.

He was starting before he was hurt, right?

Iowa never really has starters, and especially starters on the OL early season. There is always an experimental period shifting players around.

Cronk isn't a bad player, he is a solid B1G back up, or 1-2 rotation players at better OL teams. It's a challenge when Iowa picks up players from other programs. One could clearly see him struggling with fundamentals early, and fundamentals that aren't specific to guard or tackle.

Iowa never really has starters, and especially starters on the OL early season. There is always an experimental period shifting players around.

Cronk isn't a bad player, he is a solid B1G back up, or 1-2 rotation players at better OL teams. It's a challenge when Iowa picks up players from other programs. One could clearly see him struggling with fundamentals early, and fundamentals that aren't specific to guard or tackle.
That's not good to hear from an OL coaching standpoint at IU, if true.

Hoosier Rising wrote: "I think Iowa is the best team in the west. If it wasnt for the slow start you guys would be playing in Indy. I think we end up playing and it will be a tough game."

I feel similarly. Iowa always seems to do better as the season progresses and I think we are beginning to see that...It just sucks we couldn’t start well this year.

Iowa seems to do better until they have to play Northwestern. In other words, it just sucks for Iowa to play Northwestern every year. It doesn't matter if the game is early in the B1G season (2016, 2020), in the middle (2017), or later (2018). NU has won 4 of the last 5 games and the last three games played in Kinnick. In fact, no team comes in and beats Iowa at Kinnick as NU does: 6-3 in the last nine games played there.

Last edited:
Hoosier Rising wrote: "I think Iowa is the best team in the west. If it wasnt for the slow start you guys would be playing in Indy. I think we end up playing and it will be a tough game."

Iowa seems to do better until they have to play Northwestern. In other words, it just sucks for Iowa to play Northwestern every year. It doesn't matter if the game is early in the B1G season (2016, 2020), in the middle (2017), or later (2018). NU has won 4 of the last 5 games and the last three games played in Kinnick. In fact, no team comes in and beats Iowa at Kinnick as NU does: 6-3 in the last nine games played there.
Yeah we’ve struggled against NU the past couple years. We owned you from 2011-15 winning 4 of 5.

Cronk plateaued early in his college career. Never thought the guy got better. The injury didn’t help. I said this even when he was at IU. He’s decent but is a borderline starter.
I'm more interested in why he was starting for Iowa if he is as mediocre as the other posted said.

Iowa has enough depth at OL to have situational substitutions. Yesterday they got back some players. One worked his way back to #2. He saw action in a limited number of plays. This was a situational substitution to work back into the rotation. There were other situational substitutions that were down and distance specific.

GH1 started to elude to this when Iowa played Indiana last time and fans were up in arms about how bad Indiana looked. GH1 was saying he could see the difference in Indiana football in this and other areas. He's been right about understanding the process and what one is watching.

Ha ha. Tally Ho. I haven't heard that in a while, and it is fitting this season.

If we (Iowa) takes care of business next week against Wisconsin (which is no guaranty), it an almost certainty we play Indiana, and it's looking like it will be Friday night in Indianapolis. Actually if Iowa loses to Wisconsin, I still think we play Indiana.

Let it happen, a compelling match up in my view. And Indiana matches up very well with Iowa's weaknesses, so it could get very interesting.

Reactions: iulb
Ha ha. Tally Ho. I haven't heard that in a while, and it is fitting this season.

If we (Iowa) takes care of business next week against Wisconsin (which is no guaranty), it an almost certainty we play Indiana, and it's looking like it will be Friday night in Indianapolis. Actually if Iowa loses to Wisconsin, I still think we play Indiana.

Let it happen, a compelling match up in my view. And Indiana matches up very well with Iowa's weaknesses, so it could get very interesting.
I thought only the conference championship game was in Indy and the others were played on campus.

Reactions: DANC
Beat me to it CO. Always need to be careful to make sure it isn't fake news media. But it looks like it has legs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT