ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi Signs 2-year deal with Mavs - Vonleh still a free agent

You’re assuming he would have developed better in college with Tom Crean as his coach than in ththe NBA with the best developers in the world? Pretty bold assumption.

Good for Yogi.

Reactions: IU/NDFAN
You’re assuming he would have developed better in college with Tom Crean as his coach than in ththe NBA with the best developers in the world? Pretty bold assumption.

Would be at that, but not mine. Only thought it possible he just wasn't ready for the intensity. Some are, some aren't - great athlete but can't say as he ever got close to hitting his stride even in college.

Would be at that, but not mine. Only thought it possible he just wasn't ready for the intensity. Some are, some aren't - great athlete but can't say as he ever got close to hitting his stride even in college.
Yes, I agree about the intensity. Sometimes people might need a more forgiving environment to mature. Thinking back to some of the early Crean classes, I think many wilted after being thrust into starting roles too early.

Reactions: IUgradman
Reactions: fpeaugh
What I remember is that they did not make the NIT his one year in school.

He was Big Ten freshman of the year, 3rd team all Big Ten, led the conference in rebounding, 3rd in conference in FG%, and was 8th in blocked shots.

What more would he do in 1 year?

This myth that Vonleh wasn’t any good at IU and was a cancer to the team has to die. It just has to. That myth was there with Yogi too until his senior year. They’re both equally insane. Both were terrific college players.

He was Big Ten freshman of the year, 3rd team all Big Ten, led the conference in rebounding, 3rd in conference in FG%, and was 8th in blocked shots.

This myth that Vonleh wasn’t any good at IU and was a cancer to the team has to die. It just has to. That myth was there with Yogi too until his senior year. They’re both equally insane. Both were terrific college players.

Who ever said anything about cancer?! Or that he wasn't "any good"? My sense of his being "ready" was mostly about mental aspects rather than physical. That makes it mostly subjective so throwing out stats that I'm already well aware of isn't going to change my opinion anymore than his current level of play. Some guys become all-stars and some don't - happen to believe there's a lot more to that than athleticism and talent. Call it mojo or whatever, much as I like(d) him just never quite saw Noah develop/express that sufficiently to make me think he was ready to jump to the NBA.

Maybe another year in D1 wouldn't have made any difference, and perhaps especially under CTC & Co. Maybe my opinion is colored by the feeling that 'we never really knew ye' or got to really see him shine at the collegiate level. Or perhaps I misread his on-court bearing and demeanor. At the end of the day just thought he could have been more than he's shown. Only hope the change he's facing now ends up being a good thing...

Yogi as a cancer is no myth. At least up until his Senior year.

Yet we didnt even make the NIT.

Who ever said anything about cancer?! Or that he wasn't "any good"? My sense of his being "ready" was mostly about mental aspects rather than physical. That makes it mostly subjective so throwing out stats that I'm already well aware of isn't going to change my opinion anymore than his current level of play. Some guys become all-stars and some don't - happen to believe there's a lot more to that than athleticism and talent. Call it mojo or whatever, much as I like(d) him just never quite saw Noah develop/express that sufficiently to make me think he was ready to jump to the NBA.

Maybe another year in D1 wouldn't have made any difference, and perhaps especially under CTC & Co. Maybe my opinion is colored by the feeling that 'we never really knew ye' or got to really see him shine at the collegiate level. Or perhaps I misread his on-court bearing and demeanor. At the end of the day just thought he could have been more than he's shown. Only hope the change he's facing now ends up being a good thing...

To me the point is that basketball is a team game and that simply rolling out a 5-star player is no sure means of success. As I recall the Fab 5 never won a Big 10 championship. I am eagerly looking forward to both the Hoosier football and basketball seasons but I am not banking on anything. Though I like almost everyone is optimistic about the future.

Headed to the Kings.

So he turned down $5.3M in a state with no income tax to take $6.2M in a state with a 13.3% income tax. Rough calculation, he'll make $76,400 more with the Kings than he would have with the Mavs.

I also don't see the value in the Kings having Yogi and Frank Mason on the roster behind Fox. Credit to Yogi though for holding out and getting himself a salary bump, however slight it may be....

edit: I guess Dallas didn't fully guarantee the 2nd year and the Kings did. Makes more sense now....

Reactions: largemouth

You said he “never even got close to hitting his stride, even in college”.

His accomplishments and stats in college beg to differ.

I believe coming back would’ve further exposed his weaknesses and cost him millions of dollars. He made the right decision imo and has made a lot of money for being under 25.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Pretty unbelievable you still believe this. He was one of the best players in IU history.

It seems you guys have had this debate before but I'd be interested to hear Raka's rationale for this. Does he honestly think we would have been better off 2012-2015 sans Yogi?

You said he “never even got close to hitting his stride, even in college”.

His accomplishments and stats in college beg to differ.

I believe coming back would’ve further exposed his weaknesses and cost him millions of dollars. He made the right decision imo and has made a lot of money for being under 25.

I did and would again.

What I saw and didn't see watching him play isn't in the stats.

Never said his choice to move on wasn't financially astute.

Fini.

I have always thought that if IU had good shooters that year Vonleh would have done even better. He was getting double and triple teamed halfway through the season

Meh ....

You despised Crean, as did I, but It tends to cloud your judgment and makes it hard for you to remain impartial when discussing players from the Crean era.

Remember when I had to prove to you that Oladipo was, in fact, a good defender in college?

You're doing the same thing here. Do you really want to take the stand that Yogi and Vonleh weren't fantastic college players?

Pretty unbelievable you still believe this. He was one of the best players in IU history.

It's pretty unbelievable you think he wasn't a cancer. He was absolutely part of the problem during those middle years. Now maybe he got his act together by the time he was a Senior and the team fared better. Being "one of the best players in IU history" and being a cancer are not mutually exclusive. And despite being one of the best players in the history of the program, a lot of lesser players achieved a hell of a lot more than Yogi ever did when they played.

It's pretty unbelievable you think he wasn't a cancer. He was absolutely part of the problem during those middle years. Now maybe he got his act together by the time he was a Senior and the team fared better. Being "one of the best players in IU history" and being a cancer are not mutually exclusive. And despite being one of the best players in the history of the program, a lot of lesser players achieved a hell of a lot more than Yogi ever did when they played.
What evidence do you have that he was a cancer? Other than the fact that the team didn’t live up to your expectations? Anything?

If you talk to his teammates they’ll tell you he was a great leader and the hardest worker on the team.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Any chance Noah ends up in a Pacers uniform? As a OAD in an unremarkable year for IU not sure it matters, always thought maybe he jumped in the 'deep end' a little too soon. Can't recall ever seeing anyone start so many games and record so few minutes.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/07/19/report-yogi-ferrell-agrees-to-2-year-deal-with-dallas/
I don't think the Pacers would need him. I was never overly impressed with him. He could rebound and had some nice moves around the basket. He was a good freshman, but so was Tom Pritchard.

There is a lot of competition every year for spots on the roster. I hope he finds a place he can contribute.

Reactions: IUgradman
What evidence do you have that he was a cancer? Other than the fact that the team didn’t live up to your expectations? Anything?

If you talk to his teammates they’ll tell you he was a great leader and the hardest worker on the team.

Sure they would. I'm guessing Will Sheehey would vehemently disagree with you. And if he was such a great leader why were there so many transfers due to the toxic environment within the program during that time? Even the walk-ons were leaving Bloomington. A leader would have prevented the Luke Fischer/Troy Williams issues. Or the Emmitt Holt/Devin Davis fiasco. Or Hanner-Perea's DUI the night before the Purdue game. Or wouldn't have pulled the "Do you know who I am?" routine with the state ABC Excise police. All happened on Yogi's watch.

Yes, a great leader indeed.

Sure they would. I'm guessing Will Sheehey would vehemently disagree with you. And if he was such a great leader why were there so many transfers due to the toxic environment within the program during that time? Even the walk-ons were leaving Bloomington. A leader would have prevented the Luke Fischer/Troy Williams issues. Or the Emmitt Holt/Devin Davis fiasco. Or Hanner-Perea's DUI the night before the Purdue game. Or wouldn't have pulled the "Do you know who I am?" routine with the state ABC Excise police. All happened on Yogi's watch.

Most overrated player in an IU uniform, bar none.

He was only part of the cancer, the others were Troy and most especially Crean.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I don't think the Pacers would need him. I was never overly impressed with him. He could rebound and had some nice moves around the basket. He was a good freshman, but so was Tom Pritchard.

There is a lot of competition every year for spots on the roster. I hope he finds a place he can contribute.
C’mon, comparing Pritchard to Vonleh? While Pritchard turned heads in the non conference, He seriously faded in his first year to be overshadowed by VJIII.

But I get it. Vonleh played on a disappointing team that obviously had some sort of homesick-inducing friction and was rumoured to have not totally committed himself because he didn’t want to be injured before the draft.

Crean recruited a number of numb-nuts who lacked maturity or common sense. As an underclassman Yogi was in a lousy position to try to be a leader in this circus. He was basically set up to fail regarding all of the off the court issues. And of course he shot himself in foot with the fake ID.

Interesting logic. There sure we're a lot of transfers in the 70s and 80s, too. Should we hold that against Buckner, Woodson, Alford, and Cheaney for not being strong enough leaders to prevent mass exodus? Shoot, Benson all but packed Larry Bird's bags for him with how he treated the freshman when he was on campus. Bennie was considered a great player and leader, too.

I don't get the Yogi hate at all. Not everything from the Crean years has to be vilified. Yogi was one of the best we've had and a great leader. Period. Jeebus, this fan base's tendency to eat its own never ceases to amaze me.

I think all that Vonleh is guilty of is being immature. Didn't he reclassify a year early so he was like a HS senior when he played for IU. Had he not reclassified early and played a full four years of college, he would of just now graduated and have gone through the draft.

He was probably to immature when on IU to be a cancerous influence on the others that had alternate agendas to basketball. He might of followed Fisher out the door in December had he not known he was headed for the NBA and a desire to have a college career.

A 3 year college career would of done him a lot of good. At least now the G-League has become a solid place to develop skills and will continue to improve in that aspect. He has earned 11+ million dollars and still has some decent upside to work with at 22. So I doubt he regrets anything. I don't remember what his family's monetary situation was.

No there wasn't ... not even close to the amount that happened under Crean. Quit making stuff up.
What am I making up? Transfers, and a lot of them in a single given year, happened all throughout the past few decades. We were all told earlier in the thread that it's a sign of a lack of leadership among the players. Is it only a player like Yogi's problem when it's Crean as the coach? Does it really matter if two scholarship players and two walkons in one year transferred under "Yogi's watch", instead of three scholarship players in another year from the past? Are you trying to split hairs that much? Heck, from 77-78 in a two-year period, IU had Bird, Bender, Valavicius, Haymore, and Holcomb leave, all starting-caliber players either right away or eventually at their next stops. The late 80s/early 90s, after the last title, saw Tony Freeman, David Minor, Ricky Calloway, Lawrence Funderburke, and Chris Lawson all leave. 93-97 saw Malcolm Sims, Rob Foster, Steve Hart, Michael Hermon, Lou Moore, Sherron Wilkerson, and Neil Reed transfer. To be followed quickly the next two years by Luke Recker and Jason Collier. Now , again, how am I making this up?

Interesting logic. There sure we're a lot of transfers in the 70s and 80s, too. Should we hold that against Buckner, Woodson, Alford, and Cheaney for not being strong enough leaders to prevent mass exodus? Shoot, Benson all but packed Larry Bird's bags for him with how he treated the freshman when he was on campus. Bennie was considered a great player and leader, too.

I don't get the Yogi hate at all. Not everything from the Crean years has to be vilified. Yogi was one of the best we've had and a great leader. Period. Jeebus, this fan base's tendency to eat its own never ceases to amaze me.
Only thing Yogi did wrong was try to get into a Bloomington bar with a fake ID. That was just plain dumb. He is Yogi Ferrell. Everybody knows him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT