ADVERTISEMENT

Yo, Charlie.. You have any experience performing with Ableton Live?

I FAN U

Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2002
Somewhere out there
It's a trip. We like tossing in the supplemental multi-tracks, but the click track is killing us, mainly because it's killing me as the drummer. I've always played by "feel" which evidently has created a lot of subtle ebb & flow we've had tempo-wise to our music. Now with the click track and it's rigid tempo, well, it's been a very difficult thing for us to adapt to. Been a very humbling experience.

Just wondered if you've ever dabbled with anything like that? Impressive software for sure...

No not that program in particular

but others, and metronomes, sure. Yea, they're annoying. I tend to speed up like most do during songs and during choruses. I guess you get used to it like anything else but it takes a while. They bother me too, it's much easier playing with an actual drummer, I wish I knew a trick to help, but all I can say is if a timing is bothering you, slow it down and practice it and increase speed as you get it ... right?

This post was edited on 2/27 11:31 AM by Guy_Fawkes

Yeah, I know. We've just begun to scratch the surface with it, really..

One song we've been playing (without the click) was basically at 82 beats / minute. For kicks and giggles, we set the click for 85 and started playing along and it was U-G-L-Y. You wouldn't think that small tempo increase would sink the Titanic, but it did. Our ingrained internal tempo kept creeping back and screwing with us. The Sweetwater folks warned us that the learning curve can be difficult but to hang with it, so we will.

The cool thing about Ableton is (if you aren't familiar with it) you can layer in additional instruments or voices that you don't have available. You can also change key and tempo on the fly and it automatically adjusts everything for you. It even can correct pitch if you have a vocalist that can't quite hit the note.

Truly amazing technology..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT