ADVERTISEMENT

yesterdays game

Yes, that pretty much sums up the lack of a run game. I felt like our oline wasn't playing mean...I screamed at them to get mean and knock them off the ball, didn't happen!

I will say, 90% of the team played their collective asses off. Whop made catch after catch and our DBs worked HARD. The kicker made several nice field goals.

It seems to me that Michael Penix needs a REAL shot at the job. I say that because he has a million dollar arm and common sense tells me he should be playing. He doesn't have Ramsey's experience and I'm guessing Allen simply felt like last night wasn't the appropriate time to play him. However, his arm talent could've been the great equalizer!!!

Reactions: Mbooch12
Yes, that pretty much sums up the lack of a run game. I felt like our oline wasn't playing mean...I screamed at them to get mean and knock them off the ball, didn't happen!

I will say, 90% of the team played their collective asses off. Whop made catch after catch and our DBs worked HARD. The kicker made several nice field goals.

It seems to me that Michael Penix needs a REAL shot at the job. I say that because he has a million dollar arm and common sense tells me he should be playing. He doesn't have Ramsey's experience and I'm guessing Allen simply felt like last night wasn't the appropriate time to play him. However, his arm talent could've been the great equalizer!!!
Look that was a pretty good post but this Penix thing needs to die until the coaches say so...and they aint.

Where does this million dollar arm come from? He has a strong arm but accuracy is already a question. Don't attribute to this kid things he hasn't done. Have a cannon arm is nice...but being a winning QB means way way more than that. Penix should be saved for next season...period. This team aint going to the Rose Bowl people...period. Why waste the guy on a season the team is not capable of winning more than 6 games anyway? If we win 7, is that worth his redshirt? What crumb is worth that 5th season? Whether he stays or goes is totally problematic to the question.

Bottom line, I see no reason 4 games into the season to scrap our starting QB...for an untested Freshman. When he is ready, if he is ready, the coaches will make a change. But I would bet $10 that aint going to happen either. Penix can still play in 2 more games without a problem. Save it for when Ramsey needs a break...imo

Why do players people have seen for 5 minutes against inferior teams become world savers? Oh my head...

Reactions: DANC
I think the question is can Penix lead us to 8 wins this year? Now IMO, Ramsey is what he is, a smart and absolutely tough kid who can win you 6 games. Looking ahead, Ramsey can probably win you the Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue games. Can Penix win you the Iowa game? I think the Iowa game just became a MUST WIN GAME.

I'm pretty sure Penix won't play though, this is a very conservative staff. They had opportunities to play him last night and light a fire in the first half after the interception return and didn't. Traditionally speaking, that was the time to give MP a shot to run the show.

Reactions: IUCol
You know I watched the game and watched Ramsey take shots and get and make plays. Yes he had 2 glaring mistakes. This kid is a winner and only going to get better. I listened to Glenn Mason talk about impressive he was. I know peop are gonna bad mouth Mason but he has won a helluva lot more BIG games than anyone on this board .

Reactions: td75
I think the question is can Penix lead us to 8 wins this year? Now IMO, Ramsey is what he is, a smart and absolutely tough kid who can win you 6 games. Looking ahead, Ramsey can probably win you the Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue games. Can Penix win you the Iowa game? I think the Iowa game just became a MUST WIN GAME.

I'm pretty sure Penix won't play though, this is a very conservative staff. They had opportunities to play him last night and light a fire in the first half after the interception return and didn't. Traditionally speaking, that was the time to give MP a shot to run the show.
The very short answer is “no”.

That’s what kills me. The “conservative” approach and you’re absolutely right. As a fan I’m sick of having to bite our fingernails against a Rutgers, Minnesota; Maryland and Purdue and never beating a strong team. Those should be slam dunks.. Last year Maryland and Purdue were very winnable games and costed them a bowl bid. Ugh, just frustrating.

You know, I hate being on the opposite side on the Penix thing. I just love the kid. I do think he is a special talent. But he is young and a weak oline is not the place to put him behind...and damn if its possible I would love to see a 5th year Penix who might take the team and fans places they haven beem in way too long. Im not negative about him, Im 100% for him. I hope that makes sense.

Well, I just looked up the Iowa score because I didn't know if they won or not...IU doesn't tend to show scores from around the nation on the video board!! What's that all about?

Anyway, we can beat Iowa at home. They gave up tons of rushing yards to Whisky, way over 200. If we establish a run game, we win.

You know I watched the game and watched Ramsey take shots and get and make plays. Yes he had 2 glaring mistakes. This kid is a winner and only going to get better. I listened to Glenn Mason talk about impressive he was. I know peop are gonna bad mouth Mason but he has won a helluva lot more BIG games than anyone on this board .
Mason may be a decent coach, but he sucks as an announcer.

He might as well have been on the MSU payroll.

That’s what kills me. The “conservative” approach and you’re absolutely right. As a fan I’m sick of having to bite our fingernails against a Rutgers, Minnesota; Maryland and Purdue and never beating a strong team. Those should be slam dunks.. Last year Maryland and Purdue were very winnable games and costed them a bowl bid. Ugh, just frustrating.
yesterdays game This thread was started about line play. It now has turned into a debate about qb play. Would a change in qbs make the offensive line block better? I doubt it. Penix is a very good qb according to reports. Does he know all the offense? Only the coaches know from practice. I believe in not burning his red shirt until it has to be done. Ramsey is doing a good job. May I remind you all that there were times all we needed was to pick up a yard for a first down and our line could not get enough push to do it.

It is true but he was impressed with much of IU . Young talent, stadium, atmosphere,Ramsey.
Yeah, he started to say that after constantly making excuses for MSU the entire game and the game was decided.

Watch any telecast of any game and the announcers always give lip service to how 'young' and 'talented' the losing team is.

Reactions: Mbooch12
Well, I just looked up the Iowa score because I didn't know if they won or not...IU doesn't tend to show scores from around the nation on the video board!! What's that all about?

Anyway, we can beat Iowa at home. They gave up tons of rushing yards to Whisky, way over 200. If we establish a run game, we win.
IU will have an extremely difficult time running against Iowa.

I am not gonna say I agree with every decision Debord makes because I don’t. I do not like power on 4th and short. I don’t like pulling lineman when the entire defensive front selling out on run. I would rather wedge it or hat on hat and let back try to find a crease. Also hate that spread teams can’t line up and take a hand to hand snap on short yardage. I do think Ramsey needs to run the read option. I think his reads are a little suspect. But Ramsey is a winner and I hope he stays healthy and that we can find a way to redshirt Penix that kid is going to be special.

Reactions: 76-1
Iowa will for sure be another tough game but we can win that game. They always play sound defense and have a solid run game.
Can they win it? Sure, just like they could’ve won last night. But they’ll be at a competitive disadvantage at just about every position group on the field. You think MSU has a solid D front. Check out Iowa’s.

yesterdays game This thread was started about line play. It now has turned into a debate about qb play. Would a change in qbs make the offensive line block better? I doubt it. Penix is a very good qb according to reports. Does he know all the offense? Only the coaches know from practice. I believe in not burning his red shirt until it has to be done. Ramsey is doing a good job. May I remind you all that there were times all we needed was to pick up a yard for a first down and our line could not get enough push to do it.

Why do you think the O-line has trouble getting any push and we had zero run game from Stevie Scott or protection the in second half? Dantonio and his defense doesn’t respect a QB that can only complete 5 yard passes.

A fired coach on TV always sounds much smarter than
he did when he was actually coaching.

Why do you think the O-line has trouble getting any push and we had zero run game from Stevie Scott or protection the in second half? Dantonio and his defense doesn’t respect a QB that can only complete 5 yard passes.

Ramsey tried a 40 yard pass to Reese Taylor, I believe in the first series, and over threw him by 3 yards. Careful what you wish for.

Ramsey tried a 40 yard pass to Reese Taylor, I believe in the first series, and over threw him by 3 yards. Careful what you wish for.

An offense can’t take one shot down the field the entire game. It has to at least try and take the top off of the defense. There is always a chance of a PI call with a deep ball. We have two monsters at wide receivers that can go up and get a ball in Hale and Westbrook, why are we not utalizing them?

Reactions: DANC and grammy2
Splitting hairs here but that pass was 31 yards past the line of scrimmage. That was the deep ball of the game.

An offense can’t take one shot down the field the entire game. It has to at least try and take the top off of the defense. There is always a chance of a PI call with a deep ball. We have two monsters at wide receivers that can go up and get a ball in Hale and Westbrook, why are we not utalizing them?
Two problems with this thinking:

1. It takes time for receivers to run deep routes, meaning the QB has to have time to hold the ball. Ramsey had d-linemen in his face by the time he was throwing underneath routes. Those deep balls are more likely sacks than completions.

2. Your suggestion would make sense if MSU had its safeties in the box as run stuffers. They didn't (because their front 7 was manhandling us). Those deep balls are hanging in the air while safeties are tracking them.

When the box isn't loaded and you still can't run the ball, you aren't beating a defense over the top. It can't be "loosened up" because it already is "loose". That strategy leads to sacks and picks. Sacks and picks get you blown out.

Two problems with this thinking:

1. It takes time for receivers to run deep routes, meaning the QB has to have time to hold the ball. Ramsey had d-linemen in his face by the time he was throwing underneath routes. Those deep balls are more likely sacks than completions.

2. Your suggestion would make sense if MSU had its safeties in the box as run stuffers. They didn't (because their front 7 was manhandling us). Those deep balls are hanging in the air while safeties are tracking them.

When the box isn't loaded and you still can't run the ball, you aren't beating a defense over the top. It can't be "loosened up" because it already is "loose". That strategy leads to sacks and picks. Sacks and picks get you blown out.
This post rocks. I wonder how CTA is going to respond, and if we'll see an at all improved o-line against Michigan, OSU, or PSU

Splitting hairs here but that pass was 31 yards past the line of scrimmage. That was the deep ball of the game.

And probably one of the few times in the entire game that the kid had more than 2 seconds to get rid of it. The OL offered zero pass protection.

This post rocks. I wonder how CTA is going to respond, and if we'll see an at all improved o-line against Michigan, OSU, or PSU
What kind of magic do you think he can do with the OL? He is kind of stuck with the guys he has for now. I’m sure they will continue to coach them up as best they can. But I would assume they were already doing that.

What kind of magic do you think he can do with the OL? He is kind of stuck with the guys he has for now. I’m sure they will continue to coach them up as best they can. But I would assume they were already doing that.
Do you just expect the same results without doing anything differently?

There are all kinds of things an Offense can do to offset a weak OL. It might take up out of what the OC wants to run, but you've got to either adjust or accept the fact that the OL is just going to be bad.

If it were me, I'd roll the QB out more and run play-action more. Hell, I'd run the I-Formation, which MSU did several times. Get an extra blocker in there. Extreme times call for extreme measures.

Do you just expect the same results without doing anything differently?

There are all kinds of things an Offense can do to offset a weak OL. It might take up out of what the OC wants to run, but you've got to either adjust or accept the fact that the OL is just going to be bad.

If it were me, I'd roll the QB out more and run play-action more. Hell, I'd run the I-Formation, which MSU did several times. Get an extra blocker in there. Extreme times call for extreme measures.
Sure there are ways to attack when the OL can’t hold up as you point out. The post however wondered if we would see an improved OL against MU, OSU and PSU. My only point was that it is too late to go get other guys and I’m confident they are doing all they can to coach and strengthen they guys they have. But there is no magic.

Sure there are ways to attack when the OL can’t hold up as you point out. The post however wondered if we would see an improved OL against MU, OSU and PSU. My only point was that it is too late to go get other guys and I’m confident they are doing all they can to coach and strengthen they guys they have. But there is no magic.
The "real" issue isn't how improved they will be against the teams we wont beat...but against the rest of the schedule. I am far far more comcerned about the Oline and PU and Maryland and Rutgers and the games that might get us into a bowl.

We aren't going to beat the 3 top team...that is an unhealthy fantasy. Lets worry about what we can do, not what we cant...seems simple enough...

Reactions: DANC
The "real" issue isn't how improved they will be against the teams we wont beat...but against the rest of the schedule. I am far far more comcerned about the Oline and PU and Maryland and Rutgers and the games that might get us into a bowl.

We aren't going to beat the 3 top team...that is an unhealthy fantasy. Lets worry about what we can do, not what we cant...seems simple enough...

When are we going to beat the top three? It's been a long hard ride looking for water in this desert!

Reactions: IUCol
When are we going to beat the top three? It's been a long hard ride looking for water in this desert!
Well, IMHO after watching every damn game of our two long losing streaks is that it is going to take continued improvement in recruiting, coaching and commitment from IU for a long long time to get to the point where we can compete on a realatively even basis if we ever are able to.

Cane we pick one of them off occasionally. well we came close a couple of times against Mich. so you gotta think with a little luck and some non help from the officials for the other side it could happen fairly soon agains MU. Not sure divine intervention can get us over OSU at this point.

Reactions: td75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT