ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Game / IU gets an 8-0 shutout

I guess I should pay more attention. I thought this game was a 6 p.m. start. Oh well, it's a good start to what I hope is a very successful next few days.

Hoosiers Shutout Xavier, 8-0

CINCINNATI, Ohio – Indiana baseball used a five-run fourth inning, which was highlighted by senior Brian Wilhite's third grand slam of the season, to shutout the Xavier Musteteers, 8-0, on Wednesday afternoon.

Junior Luke Stephenson tossed a career-high four innings, scattering three hits and walking one to pick up his first career victory. Indiana's bullpen held the Musketeers to just one hit and collected 1-2-3 innings from freshmen Jonathan Stiever and Pauly Milto in the effort.

Junior Austin Cangelosi drove in two runs during a 2-for-2 day at the plate, while Logan Sowersalso chipped in two hits. Sophomore Chris Lowe also notched two hits off the bench for the Hoosiers, including a double.

Following three scoreless innings for both teams, the Hoosiers put up a five-spot in the fourth frame, which was highlighted by Wilhite's third grand slam of the season. The Musteteers awarded three free bases to start the rally, first granting Sowers two bases on a fielding error in the outfield before plunking freshmen Ryan Fineman and Luke Miller to load the bases. Cangelosi pushed across the game's first run with an RBI single to left field before Wilhite cleared the bases on the following at bat, giving Indiana a commanding 5-0 lead.

The Musteteers tried to get back into the game in the home half of the fourth with a leadoff single and a walk, but an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play got Stephenson out of the inning unscathed. Stiever then tossed a 1-2-3 fifth inning to preserve the five-run lead.

Two wild pitches in the sixth inning helped Indiana up its lead to six runs. After Cangelosi initially drew a one-out walk, he bumped up to second on Xavier's second free pass of the inning to Miller. Two wild pitches during junior Alex Krupa's at bat pushed Cangelosi home.

Lowe snuck a single back up the middle in a pinch hitting effort to lead off the eighth. After Miller's double to left field moved Lowe to third base, Cangelosi's sacrifice fly plated Indiana's seventh run of the day.

In the top of the ninth, junior CraigDedelow scored on a ground ball by Fineman to make it an 8-0 Hoosier advantage.

Indiana will travel to East Lansing, Mich., this weeked for a pivotal three-game set with the Michigan State Spartans. First pitch on Friday is set for 3:05 p.m.

Go Hoosiers!

Boxscore within:
http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/4/20/baseball-hoosiers-shutout-xavier-8-0.aspx

IU routs Xavier, 8-0 for midweek win

by Michael Hughes

CINCINNATI — IU Coach Chris Lemonis had one message for his team Wednesday before they ran out onto Hayden Field.

In the midst of a crucial stretch of games, Lemonis stressed the importance of a midweek game against a Xavier team that has struggled this year.

The Hoosiers responded, defeating the Musketeers 8-0 before they head to Michigan State to play the first-place Spartans this weekend.

“Coach Lemonis said before the game we’ve been having really great midweek games and they’ve led us to good weekends,” senior shortstop Brian Wilhite said. “The ability to come out and play against good opponents, especially away, has been really impressive and helped us get into good weekends.”

Wilhite led the way offensively for IU despite only recording one hit in the win. It helped that the hit was a towering grand slam to left field to give the Hoosiers a 5-0 lead in the fourth inning.

The grand slam was Wilhite’s third this season and his sixth home run so far this year.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had a guy hit that many in his whole career,” Lemonis said. “He’s hit that many in a month.”

The slam lessened the load for junior starting pitcher Luke Stephenson, who picked up his first win of the season after throwing four shutout innings and allowing only three hits.

At the time of Wilhite’s big hit, Stephenson was locked in a scoreless pitchers duel after three innings. By the time he went back to the mound for his fourth inning he had a five-run cushion to work with.

“It’s awesome,” Stephenson said. “It kind of takes the pressure off for a pitcher, but most importantly, I just liked to see him get a good hit in there because he’s a good hitter and a good teammate.”

The Hoosiers were also helped offensively by two RBIs from junior first baseman Austin Cangelosi, who went 2-for-2 and also scored two runs Wednesday. IU’s other two runs came off passed balls from a wild Xavier pitching staff that also hit three IU batters.

Wednesday also saw sophomore outfielder Laren Eustace return to the field for the first time since he tweaked his hamstring April 10 against Purdue.

Eustace didn’t reach base in his only appearance at the plate, but he made a running catch in left center field that ended with the speedy outfielder colliding with the wall. Eustace showed no ill-effects of the hamstring injury, which has been a recurring problem.

Shortly after the catch, once the Hoosiers had officially put away the Musketeers, Lemonis had another message for his team.

Despite having its eight-game win streak ended at home in extra innings against Iowa on Sunday, IU is still rolling heading into the most crucial part of its schedule.

“Just like I told them, we’re playing really good baseball right now,” Lemonis said. “The professional approach in all phases of the game — we just came and took care of business which we’ve been doing for a couple weeks now.”

Go Hoosiers!

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2016/04/iu-routs-xavier-8-0-for-midweek-win

ADVERTISEMENT