ADVERTISEMENT

WTH was the game plan today?

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Both sides of the ball looked absolutely unprepared today. They're playing a backup QB at WR and eating our defense alive. It's like our guys weren't prepared to defend a hurry up offense. And on offense....my goodness gracious...really WTH was the actual gameplan? I just want to know what the plan was b/c I sure don't get it.

Reactions: goody1986
A disjointed, uneven effort. Ole Miss had the defense on its heels all game. Running game was ignored until late. The ball was force fed to Whop at the expense of other talented receivers.

Defense held them to half their usual points. This is all on Sheridan.

I understand what you're saying, but I believe I heard that 80% of their offensive production for the year had opted out of the game.

In my opinion, the defense looked totally lost against the hurry up and the only reason we were close was because their kicker kept missing. I don't know how many times we actually STOPPED them but it wasn't a lot. So, I respect your opinion, but I, personally, don't think the defense gets a pass. I thought they looked terrible today

And the offense....I might feel better if I could understand why....why, in the world, aren't we running the ball against a terrible run defense?

I have some issues with the gameplan, but not as many as I do with the missed tackles and dropped passes. That’s what killed us — especially in the 1st half. Put us in a hole.

Reactions: IUgradman and IU73
I understand what you're saying, but I believe I heard that 80% of their offensive production for the year had opted out of the game.

In my opinion, the defense looked totally lost against the hurry up and the only reason we were close was because their kicker kept missing. I don't know how many times we actually STOPPED them but it wasn't a lot. So, I respect your opinion, but I, personally, don't think the defense gets a pass. I thought they looked terrible today

And the offense....I might feel better if I could understand why....why, in the world, aren't we running the ball against a terrible run defense?
Fair enough. They still had us in a position to win. I wouldn't call that terrible.

Reactions: SixthFlagComing

The last series was some of the worst play calling I’ve seen...ever. They aren’t stopping your 230lb RB and you start throwing balls into bunch formations on the sideline?

Next year’s goal: Don’t run your mouths before you win the game!

It appears our game plan on offense was to try to be really good at the thing we aren't currently very good at.

We threw for 150 yards against Wisconsin, and decided to come out and throw the ball all over. Not wise.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but,...did we come in thinking we were going to outscore this team in a shootout? If we thought that then shame on us for living in a dreamworld. Goodness gracious.

I just can't get over it because I just can't understand what we were TRYING to do.

The INT and fumble really hurt. The D did its job and we rushed for 169 yards. Our game plan was adequate enough to win. With a pretty green QB we still had a chance. Hard to win turning the ball over.

The INT and fumble really hurt. The D did its job and we rushed for 169 yards. Our game plan was adequate enough to win. With a pretty green QB we still had a chance. Hard to win turning the ball over.

What was the gameplan? That's the question. I don't know if it was adequate or inadequate b/c I, literally, can't figure out what it was.

I guess our thinking on offense was something like, let's use Whop's athleticism to make plays. I guess.
On defense, it seemed like we were "keeping things in front of us"

So, if you add those together, the plan appeared to be, let them have the ball a lot and get a lot of underneath plays and let's use our "athleticism" on offense to create plays.

If, in fact, that was the plan, then again...shame on us for living in a dream world.

Reactions: IUgradman
Puzzling is all I can say of Sheridan's pass heavy, bubble screen heavy scheme today. They were a bad D that couldn't stop the run, yet IU kept throwing. The bubble screen didn't work at all today after barely using it this yr. Whop running backwards multiple times didn't help either. Nor did his drive killing fumble.

It was as if the game plan was to knock them out early by throwing. It obviously didn't work and the run was there all day. Yet Sheridan didn't figure that out until the last 20 minutes of the game.

The D wasn't great, but still held a good Ole Miss O to 26 points, despite not getting any TOs.

We played arguably one of the worst defenses in the country! And that was the best we could do???

Usually I hold my thoughts until the next morning, but i think I can set them out calmly and logically now.

1. I believe we really lost this game in the first half by never attempting to sustain a running game. I know that at least the first 5 plays were all pass plays. I don't think we had more than 8 running plays in the half and I don't think Scott had more than 3 attempts. As a result, we never used a lot of clock running the offense, their were no sustained Drives, and our Defense was on the field much more than they should have been

2. They must have passed a new Rule this week that prohibits a QB from throwing the Ball more than 15 Yards downfield or throwing a pass of more than 5 Yards to the Tight End. Too many of those flat Wide Receiver Screens for minimal yardage. Other than that, we were pretty much left with long go routes down the Sideline.

3. I have maintained this for years. It seems that no matter who is Coaching, we don't have any type of Screen Pass Game. If we could run 3 of those a game and get some yardage, it would take some pressure off the Oline by slowing down the pass rush.

4. On Defense, there were too many plays where it looked like the Defense was moving and not set in their stance. We couldn't take anything away from Ole Miss and limit their Offense and make them more predictable. We Couldn't get people loose on the Pass Rush to Make Corral uncomfortable, and when we did, he was able to avoid big losses and move forward for several yards after contact.

5. Our Tackling was atrocious. Too many yards after initial contact, several situations where multiple tackles or gang tackles were broken. We just didn't look sharp.

What was the gameplan? That's the question. I don't know if it was adequate or inadequate b/c I, literally, can't figure out what it was.

I guess our thinking on offense was something like, let's use Whop's athleticism to make plays. I guess.
On defense, it seemed like we were "keeping things in front of us"

So, if you add those together, the plan appeared to be, let them have the ball a lot and get a lot of underneath plays and let's use our "athleticism" on offense to create plays.

If, in fact, that was the plan, then again...shame on us for living in a dream world.
It’s who was open. It’s a match up game. Whop was 1 on 1 all game. Everyone else had zone over the top. Kept us outside. We definitely should’ve ran the ball. Those 2 turnovers hurt more than the lack of production. Their game plan to keep the ball out of our studs hands worked.

Usually I hold my thoughts until the next morning, but i think I can set them out calmly and logically now.

1. I believe we really lost this game in the first half by never attempting to sustain a running game. I know that at least the first 5 plays were all pass plays. I don't think we had more than 8 running plays in the half and I don't think Scott had more than 3 attempts. As a result, we never used a lot of clock running the offense, their were no sustained Drives, and our Defense was on the field much more than they should have been

2. They must have passed a new Rule this week that prohibits a QB from throwing the Ball more than 15 Yards downfield or throwing a pass of more than 5 Yards to the Tight End. Too many of those flat Wide Receiver Screens for minimal yardage. Other than that, we were pretty much left with long go routes down the Sideline.

3. I have maintained this for years. It seems that no matter who is Coaching, we don't have any type of Screen Pass Game. If we could run 3 of those a game and get some yardage, it would take some pressure off the Oline by slowing down the pass rush.

4. On Defense, there were too many plays where it looked like the Defense was moving and not set in their stance. We couldn't take anything away from Ole Miss and limit their Offense and make them more predictable. We Couldn't get people loose on the Pass Rush to Make Corral uncomfortable, and when we did, he was able to avoid big losses and move forward for several yards after contact.

5. Our Tackling was atrocious. Too many yards after initial contact, several situations where multiple tackles or gang tackles were broken. We just didn't look sharp.
We did try some screens today. Scott dropped 2. Lots of throwing into coverage too. The tackling was very bad today.

We did try some screens today. Scott dropped 2. Lots of throwing into coverage too. The tackling was very bad today.
Those passes aren't true screen passes. They are more slip or flat passes to a Back after a run fake. When I think of a Screen, I'm referring to a play where linemen block for a count of 3, then release their Man for a pass rush and move to a position in front of the back as the QB lofts a pass to the Back over or around the pass rushing Linemen.

The last series was some of the worst play calling I’ve seen...ever. They aren’t stopping your 230lb RB and you start throwing balls into bunch formations on the sideline?

Next year’s goal: Don’t run your mouths before you win the game!
Or to put it simply, don't Talk the Talk if you can't Walk the Walk.

Those passes aren't true screen passes. They are more slip or flat passes to a Back after a run fake. When I think of a Screen, I'm referring to a play where linemen block for a count of 3, then release their Man for a pass rush and move to a position in front of the back as the QB lofts a pass to the Back over or around the pass rushing Linemen.
From my point of view I couldn’t tell. We had bubble screens that weren’t executed or was a kitchen sink effort.

Ole Miss played without 80% of their offensive production available - missing a consensus All American record setting wide receiver, 1st string tight end and 1st string tailback. Missing your QB is big, but the score could have been much worse if Ole Miss is full strength. Should keep your mouth shut before the game and never act like you've been slighted when playing anyone especially from the SEC!!!!!
LEO=LOL

We’ll do what we want, punk. Cry more.

The D was terrible. You cannot just look at the points given up. Look no further then at 20-20 they come up so small in the clutch and with very little resistance let a depleted Ole Miss jam it down our throats for an easy TD. Pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT