ADVERTISEMENT

WTF?

Some Japanese dude paid $1,800,000 for a tuna.

608 pounds

$2,960 per pound.
That's the 2nd highest paid for a tuna. Last year it was $3.1 million for a 618 pound blue fin. $5,016 per pound.

Same guy bought both.

[on edit.] What do you think the odds are that the guy buys these tunas as part of his marketing strategy? He's not buying a fish . . . he's getting free media attention.

Last edited:
Explain to me paying for someone's autograph who you never met.....I don't care if it's $1 or $3MM...that's just stupid. I've never really understood autographs....

That's the 2nd highest paid for a tuna. Last year it was $3.1 million for a 618 pound blue fin. $5,016 per pound.

Same guy bought both.

[on edit.] What do you think the odds are that the guy buys these tunas as part of his marketing strategy? He's not buying a fish . . . he's getting free media attention.

He's stoopid. I go to a local place and they assure me with their signage I'm getting the world's best fried flounder sandwich for $5.99! I can't argue.

Speaking of fried fish sandwiches did anyone else used to go to the world's largest fish fry down at the Mason's Lodge off US31 @ Epler? Do they still do that? It was quite an operation: huge tents and a drive thru line that stayed busy all day from my 12 year old's recollection 40 years ago and change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1

Same guy bought both.

If he runs a business, I'm not buying from him. (Does he sell hammers to defense contractors?)

They auction off the blue ribbon country ham at the Kentucky State Fair each year, but that's for charity. The record is $2.8 million. (A bank and an eye doctor combined forces - last year the winner was a piddly $1,000,000.)

PS - 18 days to the wedding. I'm still vertical. Latest purchase - flowers. In January. Not cheap. I'm arguing for pickled boiled eggs and Vienna sausages for the meal. Losing.

He's stoopid. I go to a local place and they assure me with their signage I'm getting the world's best fried flounder sandwich for $5.99! I can't argue.

Speaking of fried fish sandwiches did anyone else used to go to the world's largest fish fry down at the Mason's Lodge off US31 @ Epler? Do they still do that? It was quite an operation: huge tents and a drive thru line that stayed busy all day from my 12 year old recollection 40 years ago and change.
Uhhhhhh . . . .

If he runs a business, I'm not buying from him. (Does he sell hammers to defense contractors?)

They auction off the blue ribbon country ham at the Kentucky State Fair each year, but that's for charity. The record is $2.8 million. (A bank and an eye doctor combined forces - last year the winner was a piddly $1,000,000.)

PS - 18 days to the wedding. I'm still vertical. Latest purchase - flowers. In January. Not cheap. I'm arguing for pickled boiled eggs and Vienna sausages for the meal. Losing.
Dang, and you're still 10 days away from having a socially-sanctioned excuse to start drinkin' heavy . . .

. . . my heart goes out to you, man.

If it's any consolation to you, I'd like to personally thank you for your service as an American taxpayer, as I officially become a government entitlements beneficiary this month . . . Medicare, Part A only.

PS - I've had some of that ham . . . it's a bit salty.

Dang, and you're still 10 days away from having a socially-sanctioned excuse to start drinkin' heavy . . .

. . . my heart goes out to you, man.

If it's any consolation to you, I'd like to personally thank you for your service as an American taxpayer, as I officially become a government entitlements beneficiary this month . . . Medicare, Part A only.

PS - I've had some of that ham . . . it's a bit salty.

Ha ha!
You're old.

My greatest current fear about Medicare is that - when I get there - they won't cover my RA meds like my private insurer.

(Thanks, Obama!)

Ha ha!
You're old.

My greatest current fear about Medicare is that - when I get there - they won't cover my RA meds like my private insurer.

(Thanks, Obama!)
Damn right. And I've earned every year of being old. :)

Don't worry about the RA meds. This wedding will get you hooked on booze . . . you won't need any meds not to feel anything.

Explain to me paying for someone's autograph who you never met.....I don't care if it's $1 or $3MM...that's just stupid. I've never really understood autographs....
I prefer pictures with me and whoever the person is. I have an autographed picture of RMK at the White House that I like. I have an autographed RMK ball that has Cheaney, Bailey, and Keith Smart's autograph.

I have a Tom Crean ball if someone wants to pay shipping. I tried to remove the autograph so Archie could sign it this summer but was unsuccessful. Too bad. It is a nice basketball.

I prefer pictures with me and whoever the person is. I have an autographed picture of RMK at the White House that I like. I have an autographed RMK ball that has Cheaney, Bailey, and Keith Smart's autograph.

I have a Tom Crean ball if someone wants to pay shipping. I tried to remove the autograph so Archie could sign it this summer but was unsuccessful. Too bad. It is a nice basketball.
I have an autographed picture of RMK that has to have been photoshopped . . . he's smiling.

BTW, you ought to use that basketball to play on outdoor courts. That Crean autograph will be gone in no time . . . .

I have an autographed picture of RMK that has to have been photoshopped . . . he's smiling.

BTW, you ought to use that basketball to play on outdoor courts. That Crean autograph will be gone in no time . . . .
It is signed on the white leather and that would get scuffed. I suppose someone at Goodwill would want it if it holds air..

There is someone trying to sell the Georgia version of an autographed pall for $89.99 on Ebay. They also have signed 8x10 pictures. I would try to sell my ball to that guy but it is signed to my son. He wouldn't take it when he moved out.

guys with more money than they know what to do with, have more money than they know what to do with.

Ha ha!
You're old.

(Thanks, Obama!)

Medicare doesn't cover meds without buying a separate plan, and even then you sometimes get charged more with the added insurance than without.

under MFA that the progressives are talking about, meds would be covered 100%.

that said, how much can your RA meds be purchased for out of pocket, after getting the best GoodRx type coupon discounts.

some RA meds are quite cheap with coupon discounts.

It is signed on the white leather and that would get scuffed. I suppose someone at Goodwill would want it if it holds air..

There is someone trying to sell the Georgia version of an autographed pall for $89.99 on Ebay. They also have signed 8x10 pictures. I would try to sell my ball to that guy but it is signed to my son. He wouldn't take it when he moved out.
Kids . . . what are ya gonna do . . . .

Speaking of fried fish sandwiches did anyone else used to go to the world's largest fish fry down at the Mason's Lodge off US31 @ Epler? Do they still do that? It was quite an operation: huge tents and a drive thru line that stayed busy all day from my 12 year old recollection 40 years ago and change.
I never even heard of this place. But I do like a good fried fish sandwich. Back in Washington we had a place called Heinies Hot Fish. MMM GOOOD!!!!

Same guy bought both.

It's absolutely a loss leader for him, so to speak. His joints are known as the joints that get the best tuna in the world. He loses money on that one fish, but he makes a shit ton of money the rest of the day.

My father has an autographed baseball program that has the following signatures.
Ty Cobb
Mel Ott
CY Young
Rogers Hornsby
Charles “Kid” Nichols
Jimmy Foxx

And a few others, I think a total of 13 different ones. I have never been much into autographs either, but I would guess that on might be worth something??

As others have pointed out, its a marketing tactic. And lest we think he's nuts, remember that these are auctions. If he paid $1.8 million, someone else was willing to pay almost that much.

I wonder how much of a premium he charges for sushi made from this fish?

Reactions: IUAPEX
As others have pointed out, its a marketing tactic. And lest we think he's nuts, remember that these are auctions. If he paid $1.8 million, someone else was willing to pay almost that much.

I wonder how much of a premium he charges for sushi made from this fish?

I don't know, but why does something tell me he sells about 1200 lbs of sushi from this one 600lb fish?

Reactions: UncleMark
I don't know, but why does something tell me he sells about 1200 lbs of sushi from this one 600lb fish?

th

Reactions: kkott
I have two baseballs, one autographed by Pete Rose and one by Mike Schmidt, plus an NBA rookie card autographed by Reggie Miller. That's all.

Braunschweiger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT