ADVERTISEMENT

WR News: Simmie Cobbs declares for NFL draft, Taysir Mack transfers to Pitt

Good lord you post here more than me and I went to IU. Crazy. Everyone knew that Cobbs was gone. Westbrook and Hale will be back and our WR group will keep right on clicking. Mack is a bit of a surprise, but Timian, Philyor and the frosh are a good nucleus for next season.
Yeah the top four of Westbrook, Hale, Timian, and Whop will be really good. Size and speed. Need some young guys to step up for depth though.

I’m really excited about Whop. He’s all over the place out there.

Reactions: ESalum86 and mk23
Good lord you post here more than me and I went to IU. Crazy. Everyone knew that Cobbs was gone. Westbrook and Hale will be back and our WR group will keep right on clicking. Mack is a bit of a surprise, but Timian, Philyor and the frosh are a good nucleus for next season.

I'd really like to know the story on Mack. Kid played a bunch early when I didn't think he should be. Finally came on late in the year. Seemed poised to have a nice career here.

Those are two big losses.
Not really, Cobbs would have left last year had he not been injured. Cobbs was a loss but expected. We get out top receiver back in Westbrook, along with Hale, Philyor, Timian, Harris(hopefully) who are all better than Mack. Fryfogle was coming on too.

Reactions: IUgradman
IU will be solid at receiver. I had a feeling that Cobbs was gone. Wish him well. I’d vouche for his character. Whatever happened during the arrest I believe was an outlier and why he was suspended. He’s a great teammate. On the flip side, I would’ve liked to see him stay for another year to fix some of the holes in his game. This could end up being a really bad decision for him, as Redding found out. The nfl is impatient with development. Another year could’ve improved the perception on him. With that being said, he is 6’4” 220 and could improve rapidly. He’s still raw and this could be a boom or bust scenario, but his raw skills definitely give him a shot for to be a boom prospect down the road.

Hale is better IMHO though, if he remains healthy

Reactions: ESalum86
Freshman is coming in Jan looks solid and Spring ball will help his cause. Mack had potential and wish he weren’t leaving but he wasn’t #1 WR by a long shot.

Reactions: 76-1
So what if I post here often?

Keep right on clicking? Those are two pretty big losses (especially Cobbs). I think there will be a drop-off.

It's just really weird. A bit creepy too. I've never posted on your board and would never go there. I don't like Purdue. I graduated from IU. Also, you're totally in the minority with your opinion on these 2 leaving being a big loss. Not surprising though. It's your MO.

The kiss of death for you is that the only person that agrees with you on this is the biggest dbag on here. Insufferable.

So what if I post here often?

Keep right on clicking? Those are two pretty big losses (especially Cobbs). I think there will be a drop-off.

Don't quite know how to break it to you gently so I'll just say it: Nobody over here cares what you think about INDIANA Football.

I am personally curious about one thing however: Have you ever actually posted over on your own board???

Mack:

Cobbs:

I'll have 1 Rondale Moore please

Sounds like Patton and Watson found a way to get even for their dismissal...

Simmie was gone pretty much for sure, so that loss was factored into recruiting.

Mack who showed flashes of talent, often struggled to get open... I think he would have gotten better with added strength but who knows...

I truly don't see either of them as irreplaceable based on last seasons performances...

Reactions: mk23
So Cobbs leaving isn’t a big loss? Lol. Congrats on never posting on the Purdue board? I graduated from Purdue but have a lot of family ties to IU and enjoy posting here. If you have a problem with me, feel free to use the ignore button.

No. He was always leaving. Are you stupid or trolling? A loss would be if Hale transferred. Or if Westbrook turned pro. That would be huge setback. A guy that was always going to the NFL actually going to the NFL as expected is not a loss. Mack is a bit of a bummer, but he wouldn't have been a starter. We did lose some depth there. For the record, I have a problem with every boiler that comes here and posts stupidity. You do it the most.

Reactions: IUgradman and mk23
Sounds like Patton and Watson found a way to get even for their dismissal...

Simmie was gone pretty much for sure, so that loss was factored into recruiting.

Mack who showed flashes of talent, often struggled to get open... I think he would have gotten better with added strength but who knows...

I truly don't see either of them as irreplaceable based on last seasons performances...
I’d certainly like to still have him, but yeah, he wasn’t projected to start.

Reactions: 76-1 and mk23
You struck a nerve with a couple of these people. I think they’re a little intimidated by your presence.
How many names have you had here? If you get banned more than once on an internet free board and have to keep coming up with new handles to continue being a troll, then seek help. Seriously, how many heads do you have in your basement freezer?

And, ignored.

As much as I hate to agree with a former pu coach, I think Cobbs was on the wrong side of the ball all along. Now that's his fault not Wilsons because he wouldn't have even have been here if he didn't play WR.

He would've made a heck of a Strong Safety or even an OLB with some added weight. Talent at those positions would've gotten him highly drafted.

I don't see him going higher than the sixth irrespective of what somebody's mock draft has said... Too many drops on this years tape.

Reactions: td75
How many names have you had here? If you get banned more than once on an internet free board and have to keep coming up with new handles to continue being a troll, then seek help. Seriously, how many heads do you have in your basement freezer?

And, ignored.
I’ll keep that in mind if I’m ever banned here. Thanks.

As much as I hate to agree with a former pu coach, I think Cobbs was on the wrong side of the ball all along. Now that's his fault not Wilsons because he wouldn't have even have been here if he didn't play WR.

He would've made a heck of a Strong Safety or even an OLB with some added weight. Talent at those positions would've gotten him highly drafted.

I don't see him going higher than the sixth irrespective of what somebody's mock draft has said... Too many drops on this years tape.
He’s consistently projected to go much higher than that.

No. He was always leaving. Are you stupid or trolling? A loss would be if Hale transferred. Or if Westbrook turned pro. That would be huge setback. A guy that was always going to the NFL actually going to the NFL as expected is not a loss. Mack is a bit of a bummer, but he wouldn't have been a starter. We did lose some depth there. For the record, I have a problem with every boiler that comes here and posts stupidity. You do it the most.
I think those 2 guys leaving has made Boiler87’s Christmas lol
He’s about to wet himself.
Receivers is one area I’m not too concerned about,we have depth there.
Now if we can find someone to get the ball to them is a different subject.

Mack was only in the game due to injuries. Purdue got "lit up" by someone that was 3rd string in Mack. Having Hale/Westbrook back and healthy next year is actually an upgrade over last year's group, if you compare it to what we had in about the 3rd week, when we lost Hale for the season. Westbrook already being lost for the season in week 1 obviously.

Did we even know that Mack was transferring? It seems odd that he would transfer and commit at the same time.

Those two dudes lit us up last year (combined 14 catches 237 yards and 2 TD’s). Obviously I’m glad they’re gone.

It won't matter. WR is one of IUs best positions and Grant Heard is one of our best coaches. If this was an OT or a DT or something leaving, than I'd be concerned. But we are almost always in good shape at WR. The guys we just signed are good too.

Reactions: IUgradman
Kind of got lost in the shuffle of signing day yesterday, but Benker is transferring as well.

Kind of got lost in the shuffle of signing day yesterday, but Benker is transferring as well.

He was never going to play. Walk-ons were ahead of him. Best of luck Phil.

It is interesting to me that both he and Mack had programs that they had already committed to attend and the semester just ended a few days ago? Maybe as part of this new signing period transfers can commit early too? Just seems odd and something I don't think I've seen before. Let alone twice. I feel like players used to say publicly that they were going to transfer, and then later, announce where they were going. Is that just me?

Did we even know that Mack was transferring? It seems odd that he would transfer and commit at the same time.

I think Allen knew as some of his comments about schollies still to be filled make a bit more sense now. He specifically talked about guys leaving early and transfers.

The other thing I wondered with the early signing period was whether recruits could obtain a release without any problems if a coaching staff leaves or is fired after the signing dates. That was unlikely to happen in February.

I'm not a big Cobbs fan, guy just didn't impress me the way he did other people. Indiana has had some nice players at WR through the years, Cobbs isn't at the top of that list. I like Westbrook way better than Cobbs.

Good luck to him...

I'm not a big Cobbs fan, guy just didn't impress me the way he did other people. Indiana has had some nice players at WR through the years, Cobbs isn't at the top of that list. I like Westbrook way better than Cobbs.

Good luck to him...

Cobbs has an NFL ready frame. He's got the measurable's that NFL teams desire. Whether or not he's better than Westbrook is an entirely different conversation.

Cobbs was simply the most frustrating WR I can remember at IU. He'd make 2-3 great, over the top catches then flat out drop simple first-down catches that the O desperately needed to keep the chains moving. Incredibly inconsistent. Can't imagine too many NFL types accepting that uneven level of performance.

Reactions: bang63 and td75
I don't want to see college FB become like NFL free agency, but if a kid knows he wants to go, especially those who really aren't playing much, then I'm fine with them leaving to try to take care or revive their own careers, etc.

Mack was good, but not off the charts. He'll have to sit out a year, then perhaps he can get some time at Pitt. Benker never got it going and UT-Martin is perhaps a more appropriate level for him, also wish him well.

I think the new FR recruits coming in will have 1-2 playing significant minutes next year. Think the skill/athletic talent is an upgrade there.

And I love having scholly spots open up. Possible Feb signee gems we may be able to add, or an ability to award truly worthy walk ons a scholly who have earned it.

Per Cobbs, he was 1st Team all - B10 this season. I'll say no later than 4th round. Think his size will help a lot, some team may say "we can coach him up"

I know but I think that's based on 2 year old tape. Just my opinion (6th round). I hope he goes higher.
I’d take him over Moncrief right now. Not as fast but bigger, stronger, and fights for every ball.

Simmie would need to work on his 1st down celebrations though, to completely replace Donte.

Reactions: redbeetle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT