ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. The Bowl game stunk, but the off-season...

It has been a good off-season so far and I hope the good news keep coming in.
Whop declared today, & no disrespect to Whop whatsoever, but with the transfer coming in from Florida State, it would have been...awkward if Whop had returned, honestly. Of course he would have been welcomed back & would have contributed next year, but Fryfogle's return is much more important to our 2021 team, if I'm being honest. Not to mention he & Penix have a strong connection, Whop never gelled as much with Penix as TyFry has.

As many ch as I liked the FSU WR and UM OL transfers, think the Ole Miss DE excites me the most as he seems like he may be able to get to the QB, and will make a veteran bookend with Head, allowing Ziemba & other DE’s to be depth and keep everyone fresh.

Would not be surprised if we get one or two more transfers given players not coming back and transferring out, but if not, we have a great crew returning next year!

Now to coaches: need strong DC / new coach on D hire, and interested to see if any other tweaks made.

with vaccine, fans back in the stands, feel like 2021 has potential to be an even more special year than 2020!

Awaiting Jerome Johnson's decision. We definitely need him or a strong DL transfer.
I think he goes NFL but would welcome him back of course.

think Ole Miss DE is only transfer we get, maybe Swann plays most DT next year? Things still look really good to me for next year, maybe best possible year in a decade, full season better than this year.

Well I certainly spoke too soon....since my optimistic post, Whop, Crider, Swann, Jerome Johnson, Jamar Johnson, & now Stevie Scott have all declared...not to mention Mike Hart leaving. I'm a bit surprised at Jamar & Stevie leaving...I thought hey would play 4 years. Not sure their in that strong of a draft position, but i guess we'll see. The running game is going to come down to the O-line anyway, imo.

Last edited:
Well I certainly spoke too soon....since my optimistic post, Whop, Crider, Swann, Jerome Johnson, Jamar Johnson, & now Stevie Scott have all declared...not to mention Steve Hart leaving. I'm a bit surprised at Jamar & Stevie leaving...I thought hey would play 4 years. Not sure their in that strong of a draft position, but i guess we'll see. The running game is going to come down to the O-line anyway, imo.

Jamar and Stevie are the only two really leaving early and I’m not really surprised by either. I have long thought Jamar was the best defensive player on the team and it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets drafted much higher than folks think he will.

We have depth at both positions and the off-season is still a win in my book. Ty fry returning is huge.

Well I certainly spoke too soon....since my optimistic post, Whop, Crider, Swann, Jerome Johnson, Jamar Johnson, & now Stevie Scott have all declared...not to mention Steve Hart leaving. I'm a bit surprised at Jamar & Stevie leaving...I thought hey would play 4 years. Not sure their in that strong of a draft position, but i guess we'll see. The running game is going to come down to the O-line anyway, imo.

Small correction, it's Mike Hart, not Steve.

Anyway, I'm not surprised at Stevie leaving. He's had a lot of carries over the last three years and I'm not sure he could have risen his draft stock. He is what he is at this point.

Jamar on the other hand, I thought might have came back. He only had one year of really showing what he had at this level or play, which was 8 games. I thought coming back for another year, if he did it again, he could have raised his stock some.

Still, I will never fault a guy for wanting to go out and make a living for him and his family. Good luck to all the Hoosiers.

All this has been a successful off-season still. We picked up the three transfers and will get Taylor, the tight end, Layne and Lino all back who didn't play at all this year. So in a way, we're getting six new kids for next year that weren't on this year's team that could make a big impact for us.

Didn't Steve play basketball for a minute? Pretty sure you mean Mike. :)

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and RBB89
It's time for Sampson James and Tim Baldwin to take the bull by the horns and lead the way at the rb position. Stevie was a very good player and I wish him big success at the next level!!

I watched the highlights on YouTube versus PSU and Michigan and I'm telling you, Stevie is a load. He trucked those teams' secondaries are more than one occasion.

I’m a little nervous about the RB room now, with SS gone - but am excited to see what Sampson can do as a lead guy - I know we have TB & DE also,and we need them,but SJ needs to step up and be the man - I thought he looked good in the small sample sizes of the last 2 years and always thought he should have had more carries - need OL to improve also....

Ellis and Baldwin should be fine catching passes out of the backfield. Hopefully James will be too. Can't recall him doing that much. Where all 3 must improve where Stevie was great is pass protection. Size wise, James has the best build for it right now. Again, idk if I recall him doing it much in game though.

Run-wise, IU has got to get something going off tackle and out to the edge with these guys. Neither Baldwin, nor Ellis are built for a lot of between the tackle runs. James definitely could be, but O-Line needs to be way more consistent in establishing a run game inside or out.

And good luck to all the guys chasing their NFL dreams or just heading out to start their lives. All have provided good times and memories for us IU football fans. They certainly believed and in doing so, leave with the program in much better shape than when they got here. Job well done. If a few of them make it at the next level, hopefully that helps in recruiting.

I’m a little nervous about the RB room now, with SS gone - but am excited to see what Sampson can do as a lead guy - I know we have TB & DE also,and we need them,but SJ needs to step up and be the man - I thought he looked good in the small sample sizes of the last 2 years and always thought he should have had more carries - need OL to improve also....
Part of me always wondered if there was a Coach Hart didn’t trust him issue. We shall see ahead. I like Baldwin a lot! But let’s not forget SJ was a 4-star OSU dip. He too could have a Tom Allen breakthrough of his own!

Sampson James should be RB1 out of the gate. He has shown he is strong and fast enough to carry the load. Tim Baldwin needs to be RB2 for more specialized runs outside of the tackle. (Loved what I saw from him in his limited carries this season, serious talent). David Ellis needs to remain a 3rd down receiver on screens plays, crossing patterns, and wheel routes where he can make people miss with his speed.

Small correction, it's Mike Hart, not Steve.

Anyway, I'm not surprised at Stevie leaving. He's had a lot of carries over the last three years and I'm not sure he could have risen his draft stock. He is what he is at this point.

Jamar on the other hand, I thought might have came back. He only had one year of really showing what he had at this level or play, which was 8 games. I thought coming back for another year, if he did it again, he could have raised his stock some.

Still, I will never fault a guy for wanting to go out and make a living for him and his family. Good luck to all the Hoosiers.

All this has been a successful off-season still. We picked up the three transfers and will get Taylor, the tight end, Layne and Lino all back who didn't play at all this year. So in a way, we're getting six new kids for next year that weren't on this year's team that could make a big impact for us.
Jamar had a really good Soph. season. He might not have made the headlines as much, but he has had 2 very good years. I think he'll play a lot on Sundays.

ADVERTISEMENT