oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
If this was a choice you had to make would you rather:

A. Start football season later this fall and play with no fans in attendance
or
B. Play in the spring with fans allowed to attend

Just curious as to where everyone comes down on this

I'm sticking with the above concept: an early Spring Practice with every teams biggest rivalry game taking the place of a Spring Game.

Last edited:
I'd choose A if I have to choose one. And that's just to protect the boys' bodies ahead of the 2021 season.

Although in reality, I'm all-in with 76-1's proposal.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

or

Good Question, but I'll choose A. Keep the schedule normal. I can watch on TV from my easy chair and not miss the hussle and bussle of traffic and people one bit lol

or

Fall if it's safe. Otherwise, move on to fall 2021

Reactions: UncleMark and TMFT

I'm sticking with the above concept: an early Spring Practice with every teams biggest rivalry game taking the place of a Spring Game.

Ha you really want this. Unfortunately, one game vs a rival sounds like p00h. Either give me a season or don't but don't try to force a meaningful game into an all or nothing spring scrimmage. It would be incredibly watered down rivalry game that wouldn't really resemble what the rivalry is. It would be like watching a player who has played too long and just doesn't know when to hang em up. Yuck.

Ha you really want this. Unfortunately, one game vs a rival sounds like p00h. Either give me a season or don't but don't try to force a meaningful game into an all or nothing spring scrimmage. It would be incredibly watered down rivalry game that wouldn't really resemble what the rivalry is. It would be like watching a player who has played too long and just doesn't know when to hang em up. Yuck.

It wouldn't be just a scrimmage.

It's intended to be THE Game (in our case for The Bucket).

This would allow a transition from the 2020 disaster to the 2021 Fall regular season without overloading players bodies and perhaps more importantly, it would allow some semblance of normalcy to occur as far as Strength & Conditioning goes over the long term (next 10 months)...

Properly promoted this nationally televised, (one time only), approach could be a Huge money maker and attract fan interest from much of the country, in my opinion...

I personally find this a heck of a Lot more interesting than some oddball hybrid season whose results will always have a monster asterisk next to the final results...

or

I believe the Spring Season is a fallacy designed to appease fans that there MAY be a season.

I do NOT believe that they know how they would pull it off. Scholarship limits, managing rosters and much more will influence this decision drastically. Especially with other Power 5's playing now. Big Ten could be at a recruiting disadvantage for years following.

I also don't believe events will open to fans in the spring and if they are it will still be drastically limited.

For the reasons above, I say play ASAP. Fans or no fans, these kids on scholarship should be allowed to play if they are willing. If they are not willing they should be automatically granted medical redshirts.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I believe the Spring Season is a fallacy designed to appease fans that there MAY be a season.

I do NOT believe that they know how they would pull it off. Scholarship limits, managing rosters and much more will influence this decision drastically. Especially with other Power 5's playing now. Big Ten could be at a recruiting disadvantage for years following.

I also don't believe events will open to fans in the spring and if they are it will still be drastically limited.

For the reasons above, I say play ASAP. Fans or no fans, these kids on scholarship should be allowed to play if they are willing. If they are not willing they should be automatically granted medical redshirts.
I really am yearning for Indiana football and basketball games to be played. However, not everything is yet known about Coronavirus-19. Hindsight says maybe the B1G paused the season too early. Now we are stuck with scrambling to put lipstick on this pig(skin). But every day we learn more. I say play as soon as is reasonably possible.

Next year, or next spring we may be worse off. It seems more disruptive relative to the whole program, scheduling and keeping players engaged, protected and on campus. And every day, those that downplay this pandemic have more of an opportunity to confuse those that do not pay attention to scientific methods.

if not safe for fans now, why assume differently for the spring.

waiting till spring, then still having to play absent fans, is the worst case scenario.

and no reason to think we'd play in the spring under those circumstances.

that said, and while no one wants to hear this, old people are at risk, young people not so much.

that we don't take this game changing revelation into consideration when forming our entire covid strategy, from work to school to sports and entertainment, is leadership incompetence or malfeasance, or both, imo.

currently our entire strategy is based on a miracle being right around the corner, and just treading water till then.

and that the youngers who aren't at risk will abandon their normal lives and all tread water indefinitely too, despite all evidence to the contrary.

neither one of those "hopes and wishes" are good baskets to put all our eggs into, let alone staying with a strategy indefinitely that's 100% dependent on both happening..

or

It depends on whether fall ball allows for the B1G to participate in Bowl & CFP seasons. If so, it's a no brainer for fall ball, imo. I don't & never have understood the desire to play a conference only season if it doesn't include post season opportunities. What would be the point? Not to mention, I don't understand how it improves safety or reduces risk substantially in the 1st place. a TINY amount to gain & a large amount to lose. Head scratching & eternally irritating to have to live w/& suffer the consequences of the decisions of others that you don't agree with.

I really am yearning for Indiana football and basketball games to be played. However, not everything is yet known about Coronavirus-19. Hindsight says maybe the B1G paused the season too early. Now we are stuck with scrambling to put lipstick on this pig(skin). But every day we learn more. I say play as soon as is reasonably possible.

Next year, or next spring we may be worse off. It seems more disruptive relative to the whole program, scheduling and keeping players engaged, protected and on campus. And every day, those that downplay this pandemic have more of an opportunity to confuse those that do not pay attention to scientific methods.

No downplaying from me. They just need to play it now or forget about it. Weigh the risk and determine if it is worth the risk. Either way, I don't think there should be fans now or in the spring. There will not be a high enough percentage of the population vaccinated by that point to do it safely.

Playing in the spring presents far too many challenges for all involved. Either play this fall or hang it up until next fall.

Reactions: Bligedy and DANC
if not safe for fans now, why assume differently for the spring.

waiting till spring, then still having to play absent fans, is the worst case scenario.

and no reason to think we'd play in the spring under those circumstances.

that said, and while no one wants to hear this, old people are at risk, young people not so much.

that we don't take this game changing revelation into consideration when forming our entire covid strategy, from work to school to sports and entertainment, is leadership incompetence or malfeasance, or both, imo.

currently our entire strategy is based on a miracle being right around the corner, and just treading water till then.

and that the youngers who aren't at risk will abandon their normal lives and all tread water indefinitely too, despite all evidence to the contrary.

neither one of those "hopes and wishes" are good baskets to put all our eggs into, let alone staying with a strategy indefinitely that's 100% dependent on both happening..
What might be different in the spring is a vaccine. I emphasize "might".

What might be different in the spring is a vaccine. I emphasize "might".

while little to no hope by spring, maybe by next fall.

or a yr from next spring.

or a yr from next fall.

or 2 yrs from next fall.

that said, why would young people take the vaccine when most young people would have already been bitten by the time a vaccine was cleared, and don't see themselves as in greater danger from spread as possibly from the vaccine.

we all want a miracle, but we're not having a national conversation that really needs to be had, while waiting for that miracle.

Playing in the spring presents far too many challenges for all involved. Either play this fall or hang it up until next fall.

I doubt the powers that be really believe a spring season could happen. That is put out to pacify fans and coaches and players. I agree it will be a fall season or nothing.

Moment of levity...If we're playing "would you rather"...would you rather have sex with a goat, and have nobody ever know, or not have sex with a goat and have everyone convinced that you did?

Reactions: BayernFan

or

Earlier...talent will be better. (Fewer DNP due to awaiting the draft).

Who knows what is up with PAC-12 but would you rather have a shortened 8 game conference season so Ohio St. can have a shot at the CFP or would you rather extend season and play a couple of extra games. Maybe find a deal with the Pac-12 and have an 8 team tourney with a title game in Sofi Stadium late January. Logistics are probably really bad for this but they they should look into it. These 2 conferences are big and rich enough to do their own thing in a strange season.

Moment of levity...If we're playing "would you rather"...would you rather have sex with a goat, and have nobody ever know, or not have sex with a goat and have everyone convinced that you did?

The Mrs said no one would get the joke, but my response would be:

Is it a boy goat or a girl goat? Because I'm not gay.

The big problem with spring football is that the Big Ten Network and ESPN have to be banking on showing basketball. There won't be any slots for football in the spring. Follow the money

ADVERTISEMENT