ADVERTISEMENT

Would Penn St hire Archie if he is fired?

IndyMitchell

Benchwarmer
Apr 29, 2008
I could see him landing a decent job pretty quickly and I think Penn St would make a lot of sense. He is from the state so he probably still has lots of high school contacts. I also think they would be interested in a guy like him. His name isn't what it was 4 years ago but I think he is still going to be a guy that an AD can sell as a move to lift up that program. They could easily just point to bad luck with injuries or not engouh time time given at IU. They would probably need to pay him more than they gave Chambers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bill4411 and Nieman
Maybe, it would make sense for him, but it would be a hard sale to convince people he's gonna do more with less. At the same time, I kind of think that's why he doesn't work here, he only knows one thing and is incapable of adapting... doing more with less and the crapline, he doesn't understand how to do more with more

I think he will relate better to the scrappy underdog types. Dayton seemed to have luck with tweeners and guys that were undersized a bit. For what ever reason, he was just a bad fit for IU.

Doubt it. Why not go to a lesser conference where there are like 3-4 good teams year in, year out .... so much easier there opposed to B1G.

I could see him landing a decent job pretty quickly and I think Penn St would make a lot of sense. He is from the state so he probably still has lots of high school contacts. I also think they would be interested in a guy like him. His name isn't what it was 4 years ago but I think he is still going to be a guy that an AD can sell as a move to lift up that program. They could easily just point to bad luck with injuries or not engouh time time given at IU. They would probably need to pay him more than they gave Chambers.
PSU might have higher standards for their bball program.

I actually saw an article earlier today (I believe it was a site called Buckets.com) that said Penn State had reached out to Thad Matta. No mention if he responded but if IU is serious and has him on a list to pursue, they might want to at least put feelers out to gauge if he even has any interest.

A lot of people say that Matta’s back is fine now!

Film of Matta summer family reunion says otherwise:

1737982.main_image.gif

Shrewsberry is a much better coach than Archie, and matta’s back is still the same. He’ll coach again if he can deal with horrible pain and the rigors of travel.

Why should Penn State pay a bundle to get Archie to get the same results they are getting now-sitting home and watching the tournament rather than playing?

Reactions: Nieman

PSU's a horrible basketball job. There is less interest in basketball at PSU than any other BT school. Also, there's not that many good recruits in PA, and those that are there are mostly in Philly or Pittsburgh.

Is there a case in modern history of a coach going from one B1G school to another?? Not seeing it. That seems to happen in other conferences WAY more often. I remember this coming up when Groce actually had some initial success at Illinois that he might be a target for OSU one day because he was an assistant there. Forgetting for a second that OSU isn't THAT much better of a job than Illinois so as to warrant that jump (i.e., if you think it's better ... it's subjective and not by that much), that type of thing just seems to NEVER happen in the Big Ten.

Love the idea of Matta, but 3 words apply.......Independent Medical Examination.......pass if he's not willing to do that, and to have his medical records examined.
He's not running for president, WTF? Really, do you think he'd not just say not if he thought he wasn't up to it?

Is there a case in modern history of a coach going from one B1G school to another?? Not seeing it. That seems to happen in other conferences WAY more often. I remember this coming up when Groce actually had some initial success at Illinois that he might be a target for OSU one day because he was an assistant there. Forgetting for a second that OSU isn't THAT much better of a job than Illinois so as to warrant that jump (i.e., if you think it's better ... it's subjective and not by that much), that type of thing just seems to NEVER happen in the Big Ten.
It happened to us in women's basketball. I don't think it's happened in men's basketball or football in a long time.

NC State might be interested in its former point guard. Current HC just loss to Syracuse for the third time this season. Ironic, yes....

He's not running for president, WTF? Really, do you think he'd not just say not if he thought he wasn't up to it?

You don't think he'd be biased if he wants back into coaching? Also, how his back is right now while he's retired sitting at home is going to be different than it is after multiple years of the coaching and recruiting grind.

You want to just take his word and then have him forced into retirement after 2 years because he can no longer walk?

ADVERTISEMENT