ADVERTISEMENT

Would be a major pickup if Creane could get Rawle Alkins & Thon Maker

Like it or not we have a lame duck coach. At least that has become the perception among many. Perception is reality. I do not expect recruiting to ever be as good under Crean as it once was.

Don't know what the odds are of this happening but you never know in the recruiting game.

You say that as if Crean is going to be here past this season. Chances of that are slim -- Crean would have to pull a rabbit out of his hat, and, from the looks of it thus far, that rabbit would have to be about the size of Harvey.

And, yes, this situation makes recruiting more difficult. Will he be there? If not, who will? What about the assistants you've gotten to know? Don't think our competition isn't encouraging these questions.

You sure you meant Mick Cronin because I don't think Cincinnati has any of our retreads or recruits. I think you are talking about Chris Mack at Xavier with Blueitt and Abbel.

Don't bother trying to correct facts...as long as it's anti-Crean that's all that matters.

Reactions: ORG
Nothing wrong with recruiting these type kids. Although if you start landing them you have to do it EVERY year.

Don't bother trying to correct facts...as long as it's anti-Crean that's all that matters.

I'm not anti-Crean per se, I'm anti losing double digit games every year. I'm anti finishing 5th or worse every year. I'm anti getting 10 seeds in the NCAA and being told to be content with a single digit loss. I'm anti watching a team play terrible defense and getting blown out on national tv. But by all means, keep framing the narrative that CTLT hasn't been given a fair shake in 8 years and needs more time.

Last edited:
Like it or not we have a lame duck coach. At least that has become the perception among many. Perception is reality. I do not expect recruiting to ever be as good under Crean as it once was.
This perception has been created and perpetuated by the fanbase. Who that actually knows anything has said CTC is in trouble. Message board "experts" on all things basketball do not create a reality.

This perception has been created and perpetuated by the fanbase and Media. Who that actually knows anything has said CTC is in trouble. Message board "experts" on all things basketball do not create a reality.

Fixed it for you......also if this season goes poorly I doubt he is here next year.

the fan base hasn't cost IU one game, one recruit or one seeding in the tournament. Blame the fans all you want.....as long as it makes you feel better.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
the fan base hasn't cost IU one game, one recruit or one seeding in the tournament. Blame the fans all you want.....as long as it makes you feel better.
Where did he say that the fans has cost us a game, all he said that the only place you see Crean is in trouble is the message boards and some media outlets but nothing from the people who matter.

the perception has not been created by the fan base.....Crean created the perception by his coaching, team management and recruiting.....that's the point.

Reactions: hgdownunder
That is not the point and the point is until we here something from the administration nobody really knows if Crean seat is hot or not.
I've heard from a few beat writers that Crean is undoubtedly on the hot seat.

If his seat isn't scalding right now, I might as well become a Butler fan

Where did he say that the fans has cost us a game, all he said that the only place you see Crean is in trouble is the message boards and some media outlets but nothing from the people who matter.
Which the school isn't going to make public knowledge if he is which he most likely is.

Which the school isn't going to make public knowledge if he is which he most likely is.
that is kind of the point because nobody on here really knows if the administration back him or not and we also have no idea what the real criteria is for him keeping his job. The fans might say this year he has to finish in the top 3 of the conference and at least go to the sweet 16 or beyond for him to keep his job. Maybe the administration feels that if they see enough improvement this year and see what they want then they could still keep him.

I've heard from a few beat writers that Crean is undoubtedly on the hot seat.

If his seat isn't scalding right now, I might as well become a Butler fan
who did the beat writers get this info from or is it just their opinion which is the only thing they have and no concrete evidence. I am not saying he is not on the hot seat but right now all we have is people's opinion. Also don't let the door hit your ass on the way out if you would actually think of changing your team

that is kind of the point because nobody on here really knows if the administration back him or not and we also have no idea what the real criteria is for him keeping his job. The fans might say this year he has to finish in the top 3 of the conference and at least go to the sweet 16 or beyond for him to keep his job. Maybe the administration feels that if they see enough improvement this year and see what they want then they could still keep him.[/QUOTE

you lost me at improvement

who did the beat writers get this info from or is it just their opinion which is the only thing they have and no concrete evidence. I am not saying he is not on the hot seat but right now all we have is people's opinion.

he is a bloomington beat writer that talks to Glass very frequently. the writer is not a big Crean fan but also doesn't want to slant his articles to getting Crean fired. He thinks he will do that very well on his own. He says Glass is very aware of the fan base anger but will obviously not do anything in season.

he is a bloomington beat writer that talks to Glass very frequently. the writer is not a big Crean fan but also doesn't want to slant his articles to getting Crean fired. He thinks he will do that very well on his own. He says Glass is very aware of the fan base anger but will obviously not do anything in season.
I hope Glass does know how we feel and I hope you would never change your team

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight, except that I want IU to do well in the BIG. I have not seen anything in the national media about CTC being on the hot seat. It is certainly a considered a FACT here on this forum, but I don't see it reported anywhere else. He has a winning record, and is recruiting at a fairly high consistently. Please don't expend any energy convincing me he is the wrong guy for IU. I am in that camp already. I am not sure he is on the hot seat at this time. My angle is the recruiting side of things.

Here is the issue I think. The recruitment is often dependent on how a recruit interacts with the current team. How do you think the current players would interact with recruits? Would Yogi come across as me-first? How will Bryant or JBJ portray the team to someone from the outside? I am thinking that the current team will be attractive to me-first type players (not a good thing). That is just my take, and I have no doubt there are differing opinions.

I don't have a dog in this fight, except that I want IU to do well in the BIG. I have not seen anything in the national media about CTC being on the hot seat. It is certainly a considered a FACT here on this forum, but I don't see it reported anywhere else. He has a winning record, and is recruiting at a fairly high consistently. Please don't expend any energy convincing me he is the wrong guy for IU. I am in that camp already. I am not sure he is on the hot seat at this time. My angle is the recruiting side of things.

Here is the issue I think. The recruitment is often dependent on how a recruit interacts with the current team. How do you think the current players would interact with recruits? Would Yogi come across as me-first? How will Bryant or JBJ portray the team to someone from the outside? I am thinking that the current team will be attractive to me-first type players (not a good thing). That is just my take, and I have no doubt there are differing opinions.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/college-basketball-coaches-hot-seat-2015-2016/story?id=35021251
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-hot-seat-2015-2016-college-basketball-season
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...dex-heat-turning-up-at-oklahoma-state-indiana
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...m-crean-leads-list-coaches-hot-seat/75472922/
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/09/30/coaches-on-the-hot-seat/

Thanks for enlightening me. All of them say "if he doesn't make the NCAA's in 2015... blah-blah-blah". They are also the same story repeated over and over by lazy beat writers. That's not on you by any means. It is just one story repeated. I think he will make the NCAAT, so then what? Does IU still dump him? I hope so, but there is no certainty.

I am not saying it is going to happen but I am not going to root for us to have a bad season just to get a new coach.
Worst thing we can have happen is IU have a solid year. We need IU to either gain momentum and have a great year or we need an underachieving bad season. Because of lack of quality wins in non conf I think at best we could do this year be a 6-10 seed. I don't see us winning conference or conference tourney.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
who did the beat writers get this info from or is it just their opinion which is the only thing they have and no concrete evidence. I am not saying he is not on the hot seat but right now all we have is people's opinion. Also don't let the door hit your ass on the way out if you would actually think of changing your team
Well he should be on the hot seat after the last two seasons.

That is not the point and the point is until we here something from the administration nobody really knows if Crean seat is hot or not.
If he wins 25-26 games, wins a couple of games in the BIG tourney, and makes it at least to the NCAA final sixteen he will be back. Otherwise he is probably gone.

I'm not anti-Crean per se, I'm anti losing double digit games every year. I'm anti finishing 5th or worse every year. I'm anti getting 10 seeds in the NCAA and being told to be content with a single digit loss. I'm anti watching a team play terrible defense and getting blown out on national tv. But by all means, keep framing the narrative that CTLT hasn't been given a fair shake in 8 years and needs more time.

Not my narrative. Original poster asked about 2 recruits who obviously have IU interest. Your first post (in this thread) stated these recruits are what's wrong with Crean's recruiting strategy. For a such a blanket authoritative absolute statement it was surprising to realize you didn't know who the head coach was at Cincy/Xavier....and exactly which former players/targets had transferred where. That's all.

Reactions: Kylehornsbyrules
Not my narrative. Original poster asked about 2 recruits who obviously have IU interest. Your first post (in this thread) stated these recruits are what's wrong with Crean's recruiting strategy. For a such a blanket authoritative absolute statement it was surprising to realize you didn't know who the head coach was at Cincy/Xavier....and exactly which former players/targets had transferred where. That's all.

Exactly....gotta know ur sh^t

CBS sports and ESPN came out with the hot seats article at the beginning of the year with Crean as #1 in both pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT