ADVERTISEMENT

Worst season in IU history!?

HoosierAlum07

Junior
Dec 30, 2013
How does this one rank? Top 3, most definately! Fire everyone on the bkball staff from top to bottom! This season was just so danm embarrassing as a fan! The whole fan base as a whole is pissed off! Pa-effn-thetic!

40+ years watching, I would say the worst. Did I expect a great year? Not at all. But I did expect in a year when 8-9 BT teams get in the dance, IU would be amongst them. Let this sink in folks...this team lost 6 BT home games and really could have lost the other 3 (PSU, Iowa, Minny). A final question?? Did this squad lead a game start to finish all season, even against OOC teams? I don’t think so.

A few of the other “challengers” for worst seasons?? Archie’s first 2 teams certainly need to be mentioned. Crean’s last team and the 2014 squad (Didn’t expect much from his first few teams). Davis’ 2003-04 team. ‘85 team hugely disappointed.

Those would be my “top candidates” for worst teams. Didn’t take Archie long to leave “his mark” (more like a stain) with 3 of his 4 teams in the conversation.

Worst IU offense I have ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen an IU team be 5 games below .500 in the Big Ten. I've never seen an IU coach never win an NCAA game before. I've never seen recruiting crap out and be this bad.

Edit: I forgot about Crean's first 3 years, yikes!

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Those would be my “top candidates” for worst teams. Didn’t take Archie long to leave “his mark” (more like a stain) with 3 of his 4 teams in the conversation.

He may give you a 4th.

Reactions: BHAII
2009, 2010, 2011... all worse.
Not really, if you think about it.

Those teams -especially the first year - were gutted from the Sampson mess and had to be rebuilt. Archie at worst had to deal with APR issues his first year, and did have a ton of injuries his second. But issues we had in 2017-18 continued to the end last night - namely, how fitting was it for a program who has inexplicably gone through scoring droughts for the past 4 years ended the game without a FG in the last 9:50?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
TR, If you measure “worst” strictly in W/L record, sure throw those years in too.

I am with Tas on them though... Most realistic people had zero expectations for the first 2 years of the Crean regime, thus not mentioned.

Definitely the worst season I have seen in 35 years of watching.

Sure, Crean's first 3 seasons were technically as bad or worse on record, but he was rebuilding a program from scratch.

Mike Davis and Crean got fired for having better seasons that this.

Worst IU offense I have ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen an IU team be 5 games below .500 in the Big Ten. I've never seen an IU coach never win an NCAA game before. I've never seen recruiting crap out and be this bad.

Edit: I forgot about Crean's first 3 years, yikes!
I enjoyed watching Crean's first three teams infinitely more than this 2020-21 team. At least you knew they were being coached as well as they possibly could have been given the circumstances... Plus, they played with passion and intensity. You don't see that out of this team at all.

I enjoyed watching Crean's first three teams infinitely more than this 2020-21 team. At least you knew they were being coached as well as they possibly could have been given the circumstances... Plus, they played with passion and intensity. You don't see that out of this team at all.

I appreciated the effort in Crean's first two years, especially year one where baseball players and walk-ons were added mid-season (and started) but his players checked out year 3 and I believe that was a big red flag. Archie's teams have seemingly done the same these last few years and can no longer be tolerated.

Reactions: Chris A.
I appreciated the effort in Crean's first two years, especially year one where baseball players and walk-ons were added mid-season (and started) but his players checked out year 3 and I believe that was a big red flag. Archie's teams have seemingly done the same these last few years and can no longer be tolerated.
This season's team absolutely quit for the season and threw in the towel during the loss at Rutgers on February 24th. There is absolutely no denying it. For that reason alone, Archie should be terminated. As a coach, you simply cannot lose your team the way Archie lost this group.

The ironic thing is by kenpom efficiency scores (not the ranking) this was actually Archie's best season yet.

I know everyone wants to fire Miller, and I'm cool with it if it happens, but there are underlying arguments for why you keep him, if you take emotion out of the equation.

It is very frustrating, watching the team be so inconsistent. Even last night, they looked like a top 10 team for the first ten minutes, and then like straight trash for the last 10 minutes of both halves. I get it.

Still, IU posted the best offensive efficiency numbers of the Miller era this year with the gang that can't shoot straight. Don't be surprised if Miller finds some shooters at his next stop and makes everyone complain about why he couldn't do it here.

Hell, this isn't even the most disappointing team in the BIG this year. Wisconsin returned all 5 starters from a team that won the BIG last year and finished 10-10 this year.

I will grant you, the bar must be higher than "not the most disappointing team in the conference."

Check the stats for someone who has access: Fourth year coach, last game of the season, NO FG in the last 9:48 of the game AND season. Has to be a first in ALL of Div. 1 BB... unless the entire team fouled out. THAT stat alone is headlines... looking at the gamecast graph on ESPN is mind blowing. Un-freaking-believable that this coach can then say, "We'll be fine..."

How does this one rank? Top 3, most definately! Fire everyone on the bkball staff from top to bottom! This season was just so danm embarrassing as a fan! The whole fan base as a whole is pissed off! Pa-effn-thetic!
I would call it the most disappointing.

Not really, if you think about it.

Those teams -especially the first year - were gutted from the Sampson mess and had to be rebuilt. Archie at worst had to deal with APR issues his first year, and did have a ton of injuries his second. But issues we had in 2017-18 continued to the end last night - namely, how fitting was it for a program who has inexplicably gone through scoring droughts for the past 4 years ended the game without a FG in the last 9:50?

I've thought about it plenty of times. The 2010-2011 season in particularly was inexplicably terrible. Crean had 3year starters on that team and their defense was just horrid. Watford appeared lost defensively particularly on the weak side, and the point guard situation was absolutely terrible with Crean demanding to have a scoring point guard when one didn't exist. He had no idea how to coach that team and by then is way obvious that he would live and die with recruiting alone. That is to say, if his players could cover for his weak coaching, he may keep his job longer, which is exactly what happened in 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT