ADVERTISEMENT

Worst IU loss in last 10 years

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Is the worst Hoosier loss against IUPUI Ft Wayne? I believe we were ranked in top 5 ?? Any worse losses?

I would say: not pulling out all the stops and putting all the money on the table it would have taken to get Brad Stevens.

One game doesn't even begin to compare.
He wasn’t coming. IU wasn’t ever willing to pony up to buy him out and pay enough to get Stevens. Otherwise, it would’ve happened. Can we take up an offering to get feepee out of here?

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
I know Syracuse is the obvious answer for most and agree it’s been one of the most frustrating losses in the given time frame, but hardly the worst in my opinion. IU was only a 4-5pt favorite at tip and it’s not like Syracuse was a slouch either. Team had multiple draft picks, an AA in CJ Fair, and was just an overall bad matchup for IU given their length and size.

Reactions: cryano and MrBing
Syracuse most likely but that's too easy. I'll throw a couple recent ones out there to debate:

1. losing at home, to Purdue....again. This year. RMK halftime reunion with the fan base, then the team comes out and plays a totally uninspired second half.
2. Nearly every game vs Bucky or Purdue over the past several yrs. Getting smoked by 30 in Madison after good start against cupcakes. Reality check. Last minute of first half in Mackey this year. Looked like a 4th grade YMCA team.
3. Home blow out to open CAM era (ISU?). 21 pt home opener vs the Sycamores.
4. loss at ILL 2013...uncontested layup after under-the-basket out of bounds play....to win/lose game. You have a 7 foot All American lottery pick, guarding his man past the 3 pt line, instead of camping out in the lane with his arms up. Typical Crean coaching.

And yet, none these can hold a candle to some of the loses vs Kansas in the early 90s.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Syracuse most likely but that's too easy. I'll throw a couple recent ones out there to debate:

1. losing at home, to Purdue....again. This year. RMK halftime reunion with the fan base, then the team comes out and plays a totally uninspired second half.
2. Nearly every game vs Bucky or Purdue over the past several yrs. Getting smoked by 30 in Madison after good start against cupcakes. Reality check. Last minute of first half in Mackey this year. Looked like a 4th grade YMCA team.
3. Home blow out to open CAM era (ISU?). 21 pt home opener vs the Sycamores.
4. loss at ILL 2013...uncontested layup after under-the-basket out of bounds play....to win/lose game. You have a 7 foot All American lottery pick, guarding his man past the 3 pt line, instead of camping out in the lane with his arms up. Typical Crean coaching.

And yet, none these can hold a candle to some of the loses vs Kansas in the early 90s.

Interesting...no one even mentions Maryland 2002....

To be fair it says last 10 years. I don't think losing in the national championship constitutes as a "worse loss". Tough.... sure.

Ha I understand. Most painful loss for me is still in the 75 tournament to UK, with a one-armed May.
yes that is going back a ways but definitely one of the toughest in program history. When you consider 75 and the 91-93 period, we easily could have 2 more banners hanging, and the program (and RMK) legacy would be even more elevated. Come to think of it....scratch "easily could" and replace with "should".

yes that is going back a ways but definitely one of the toughest in program history. When you consider 75 and the 91-93 period, we easily could have 2 more banners hanging, and the program (and RMK) legacy would be even more elevated. Come to think of it....scratch "easily could" and replace with "should".
Remember Christian L. shot that propelled Duke over UK? If UK doesn't get beat we probably would of hung a banner.

Remember Christian L. shot that propelled Duke over UK? If UK doesn't get beat we probably would of hung a banner.
yep, and he arguably should have been tossed from that UK game for chest stomping the UK player with his size 15 foot. But still....IU was on a roll, clicking on all cylinders....if it weren't for Bobby Hurley we might have been up 15 pts at half time. Then the whistles started blowing and....game over.

yep, and he arguably should have been tossed from that UK game for chest stomping the UK player with his size 15 foot. But still....IU was on a roll, clicking on all cylinders....if it weren't for Bobby Hurley we might have been up 15 pts at half time. Then the whistles started blowing and....game over.

In the FF, if Todd Leary hits one more three, he is immortal.

you include losses in a coach’s first year with a team that was going nowhere? How dumb
Those were the worst. That was the question. Neither of those teams had a single player that could make our 14 man roster. Unfortunately those were a sign that more failures were coming.

Reactions: cryano
Lander committing to Louisville was a really big loss, IMO. Oh wait.

My vote also goes to the Syracuse game.

I know Syracuse is the obvious answer for most and agree it’s been one of the most frustrating losses in the given time frame, but hardly the worst in my opinion. IU was only a 4-5pt favorite at tip and it’s not like Syracuse was a slouch either. Team had multiple draft picks, an AA in CJ Fair, and was just an overall bad matchup for IU given their length and size.

They were the #1 seed, a 5 point favorite, had 2 of the 4 top NBA draft picks, and it was never competitive. Pretty terrible loss.

They were the #1 seed, a 5 point favorite, had 2 of the 4 top NBA draft picks, and it was never competitive. Pretty terrible loss.

That's the thing with that Syracuse game, it was never competetive. The score didn't do justice to how badly IU was beaten. There was never a doubt after say, midway through the first half as to what the result would be.

Reactions: Bligedy
That's the thing with that Syracuse game, it was never competetive. The score didn't do justice to how badly IU was beaten. There was never a doubt after say, midway through the first half as to what the result would be.
that's the thing about the Cuse game...they also had NBA talent, so losing wasn't the issue. I'm on record as saying, I knew we were screwed after 90 seconds. Like we had no clue a 2-3 zone was coming. I texted my brother before the first TV time out, and my text only read "are you watching this? WTF??"

Crean ran that team into the ground. They were on empty going into the B1G tourney and got bounced by Bucky (yet again). Almost lost their #1 seed as a result. Probably should have considering how they played in the tourney.

It was a bad loss. But nowhere near the worst loss the last 10 years. Losing on your home court by 20+ points as a 20 pt something favorite is way more of a bad loss.

Syracuse wasn’t even a bad loss. Those things happen in the tournament all the time. The real loss is the fact that we only had one legitimate shot at winning a title in 10 years. That’s why so much emphasis is placed on that one game. We should’ve lost to Temple the game before so it’s not like we were on a roll.

that's the thing about the Cuse game...they also had NBA talent, so losing wasn't the issue. I'm on record as saying, I knew we were screwed after 90 seconds. Like we had no clue a 2-3 zone was coming. I texted my brother before the first TV time out, and my text only read "are you watching this? WTF??"

Crean ran that team into the ground. They were on empty going into the B1G tourney and got bounced by Bucky (yet again). Almost lost their #1 seed as a result. Probably should have considering how they played in the tourney.
I can still conjure up the image of of Yogi Taking the inbounds pass and dribbling straight at Carter - Williams who just reaches out with two hands and takes it from him. He actually laughed at Yogi.

That was just a couple minutes in. Couple that with Zeller eating leather every time he went to the rim. Still painful to think about.

ADVERTISEMENT