ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup - who you got?

France or my dark horse, Croatia.

Good call! Although on that side Croatia were not a dark horse. I mean Modric is one of the best mids the past 20 years and Rakitic starts along him and has won championships at Barcelona. France is stacked though but they also were at the Euro's and lost to a not great Portugal team who lost Ronaldo after like 20 minutes. Bottom line is nothing is guaranteed.

That said. Mbappe should wreak havoc this game. He is as close to unstoppable as I have seen with speed and technique at just only 19. Unreal. He is the future of the sport.

Good call! Although on that side Croatia were not a dark horse. I mean Modric is one of the best mids the past 20 years and Rakitic starts along him and has won championships at Barcelona. France is stacked though but they also were at the Euro's and lost to a not great Portugal team who lost Ronaldo after like 20 minutes. Bottom line is nothing is guaranteed.

That said. Mbappe should wreak havoc this game. He is as close to unstoppable as I have seen with speed and technique at just only 19. Unreal. He is the future of the sport.

I think England ran out of steam and did an Ozil in the 2nd half. Kane I always felt has less impact playing a false 9, on the left wing. Delle was a no-show in the 2nd half which allowed Modric to play and pull the strings in the middle. Southgate should have rotated in earlier matches to keep the starting 11 fresher.
They dominated in the 1st half and should have been 2-3 goals up if not for the diabolical finishing of Sterling.

I think this WC has shown are as follows:

1) A team of superstars doesn't always win if the manager cant get them to gel. But sometimes you can get away with it.
France has a much higher ceiling than a Belgium but they just about scraped through that. Argentina has a star for every position sitting on the bench never mind the starting 11 and was extremely poor.

2) I think we are on the cusp of a sea change in playing philosophies. For the last couple of decades, the possession-based, tiki-taka style was the one that was to be emulated and revered. Whilst pretty on the eye, I always found it boring to watch over a 90mins period. Now you have teams that don't necessarily dominate possession statistics but still win the match.

3) Size isn't everything -- Croatia is a country the population size of Milwaukee. Granted they are a fairly experienced team unlike England and France who are both into their next Golden Generation. But if you play a certain way as a team, you can get far rather than playing a system to accomadate the superstars as was the case with England in the past and Argentina consistently with Messi.

Mbappe is not only an extraordinary athlete but one with a very mature mind. At 19, he is already making all the right decisions of when to pass or where to pass. If you remember Ronaldo, at 19; he would have been hugging the touchline, doing step-overs, beating you then coming back to do step-over but with a nutmeg now with the player he has just fooled. He used to frustrate the hell out of us watching, never mind the strikers ahead of him.
Mbappe, we better hope doesn't get injured and will develop into something really special. He is wasted at PSG.

Last edited:
I am betting on Qatar to win it all.
they have odds out on that yet? I actually think in the next 4 years they will have brought in new citizens to play for their team and will pay them a handsome salary. I wouldn't bet them to win, but maybe quarters or semi's isn't the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Odds will be better now until they naturalize new citizens.

they have odds out on that yet? I actually think in the next 4 years they will have brought in new citizens to play for their team and will pay them a handsome salary. I wouldn't bet them to win, but maybe quarters or semi's isn't the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Odds will be better now until they naturalize new citizens.

Naturalising new citizens isnt that new -- Russia has its Fernandez, even Spain has Costa and not to mention the African countries who pick players from France or England who have African roots and not birthplace.
I hope Qatar will be the last of the 'paid for' world cups. But having said that Putin's WC turned out the best in a generation. It may turn out to be equally good simply because it will be played during mid- European season. Energy levels will be high at least despite the heat.

Naturalising new citizens isnt that new -- Russia has its Fernandez, even Spain has Costa and not to mention the African countries who pick players from France or England who have African roots and not birthplace.
I hope Qatar will be the last of the 'paid for' world cups. But having said that Putin's WC turned out the best in a generation. It may turn out to be equally good simply because it will be played during mid- European season. Energy levels will be high at least despite the heat.
Agreed. Qatar May have a higher budget than most countries though.

Host countries usually do pretty well, so maybe Qatar has a chance. They might be the only team who can stand playing in the 120 degree heat.

Host countries usually do pretty well, so maybe Qatar has a chance. They might be the only team who can stand playing in the 120 degree heat.

Having moved the 2022 World Cup dates, FIFA will avoid the worst heat. Highs will apparently be about 85 that time of year.

I strongly suspect Qatar will turn in the worst host country performance thus far, but I doubt it will be a true disaster. They might even find a team that will roll over for them like France did for South Africa.

I can't help but wonder if Qatar will be the last solo effort for a while. Even we're splitting a few games with Canada and Mexico. Will this be the model going forward?

To tie this back to IU, what's everyone's best guess for a former Hoosier making the 2022 squad?

Reactions: snowling
To tie this back to IU, what's everyone's best guess for a former Hoosier making the 2022 squad?[/QUOTE]
I don't know if I see any former Hoosiers having a great shot in 2022. I think the better chance will come in 2026 with one of the 3 guys in the U20 squad now (Dorsey/Rennicks/Muse). It's surprising that with all the great players to come through IU, the last World Cup player was 1998.

I don't know if I see any former Hoosiers having a great shot in 2022. I think the better chance will come in 2026 with one of the 3 guys in the U20 squad now (Dorsey/Rennicks/Muse). It's surprising that with all the great players to come through IU, the last World Cup player was 1998.

I would agree... What I was really should have asked is who will be the closest to making the squad. I've always thought Tommy Thompson had the talent, but he's not quite developed like I thought he might. I guess I'd say he's our best (long) shot at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT