ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward (and Drudge) unload on Trump

9 hours of taped interviews with Bob Woodward isn't very smart considering how much Trump whined about the last book.

9 hours of taped interviews with Bob Woodward isn't very smart considering how much Trump whined about the last book.
It's bizarre. It's like Trump thought in his fantasy world that he could buddy up with Woodward or charm him or convince him he was doing the right thing. "Woodward is a reasonable guy. I can bring him around."

The only shocking thing is his supporters still think he's this great guy.
The fact that he knew how serious Covid was and deliberately misled the public has got to hurt with his base. Not only was he lying, he was lying to them.

The fact that he knew how serious Covid was and deliberately misled the public has got to hurt with his base. Not only was he lying, he was lying to them.
The family members that I have that are in his base will not believe anything that doesn't come directly out of Trump's mouth. And if he misspeaks on something, they'll trust the corrective spin from Hannity or Carlson.

The family members that I have that are in his base will not believe anything that doesn't come directly out of Trump's mouth. And if he misspeaks on something, they'll trust the corrective spin from Hannity or Carlson.
Will they believe the tapes?

A wise man on this forum once said

“tax cuts, judges, deregulation”

And he was right.

And I think this was already brought up in 2018, but still appropriate.

If you want to hear the WH press secretary lie and BS for 20 minutes (again), here's the C-SPAN video of her responses to the Woodward tapes...

But, but, but . . . that he knew COVID was serious just shows how SMART he is. Who could have foreseen that?

He HAD to lie to the rest of us because we're too dumb to see just how serious it was at the time.

Reactions: Bill4411
This book by Woodward will be a major hit to Trump. Woodward has credibility. It probably won't move the 40% base, but it will move independents and those Obama voters who cast their vote for Trump in 2016. RAGE will be followed by other prominent voices that will speak up between now and November. We often see elections get tighter the closer we get to election day. This election will be different. Some of those Trump supporters will likely stay away from the polls as numbers continue to move in Biden's direction.

So the base suddenly experiences an epiphany as a result of this? Not a chance.

So the base suddenly experiences an epiphany as a result of this? Not a chance.

Trump needs more than his base to win re-election. His base won't carry Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, and Minnesota. The base may not even get him Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
It's bizarre. It's like Trump thought in his fantasy world that he could buddy up with Woodward or charm him or convince him he was doing the right thing. "Woodward is a reasonable guy. I can bring him around."
You know why he did it. It's a combination of him thinking he was genius level smart that he would wow someone like Woodward and he's stupid enough to not understand why Woodward would want to talk with him in the first place.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Trump needs more than his base to win re-election. His base won't carry Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, and Minnesota. The base may not even get him Florida, Georgia, and Texas.
yeah. The bigger problem may be the drowing-out of the targeted narrative with little time before the election. The constant gush of new revelations puts the administration on the defensive and prevents them from defining the news cycle on topics of their own choosing. They are not defining the news cycle...it's being defined for them...and in the most damaging possible framework. With ballots going out as we speak, an October counter-surprise may prove too little too late.

You know why he did it. It's a combination of him thinking he was genius level smart that he would wow someone like Woodward and he's stupid enough to not understand why Woodward would want to talk with him in the first place.

According to Maggie Haberman, several top administration officials went on record with Woodward, including Kushner “extensively”.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
yeah. The bigger problem may be the drowing-out of the targeted narrative with little time before the election. The constant gush of new revelations puts the administration on the defensive and prevents them from defining the news cycle on topics of their own choosing. They are not defining the news cycle...it's being defined for them...and in the most damaging possible framework. With ballots going out as we speak, an October counter-surprise ma

80% of voters in Arizona vote by mail. Those ballots will be in the hands of voters in 30 days. I expect most voters will return those completed ballots within a week. Trump has less than 40 days to change the minds of Arizona voters.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
My point was there's not going to be any erosion of his base because of this. (He literally could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot someone and he wouldn't lose any voters). But it could galvanize many clear-thinking people who see this an extreme example of his gross irresponsibility and utter lack of leadership.

Good lord. According to Woodward, Trump was first advised of the seriousness of Covid on January 28. Within a day he appointed the task force and banned travel; for which the Democrats and Biden said he overacted. Prominent Democrat officials, including Pelosi and Cuomo continued to minimize the problem as a way to RESIST! Fauchi said often that Trump followed the Task Force recommendations. Fauchi said today that he didn’t believe Trump misled anybody.

The only shocking thing is his supporters still think he's this great guy.
I really enjoy this claim by Trumpees that all his critics are obsessed with Trump. Huh?

The Trumpees barely pay attention to him and yet they're the ones who are supposed to be in love with him.

If you want to hear the WH press secretary lie and BS for 20 minutes (again), here's the C-SPAN video of her responses to the Woodward tapes...

Short form translation of today's remarks by Barbie the Press Secretary:

"He didn't lie, but the reason he lied was because he wanted to calm everybody down. That's what good leaders do."

Reactions: UncleMark
Good lord. According to Woodward, Trump was first advised of the seriousness of Covid on January 28. Within a day he appointed the task force and banned travel; for which the Democrats and Biden said he overacted. Prominent Democrat officials, including Pelosi and Cuomo continued to minimize the problem as a way to RESIST! Fauchi said often that Trump followed the Task Force recommendations. Fauchi said today that he didn’t believe Trump misled anybody.
The problem with everything you've said here is that we have a plethora of tweets and interviews of Trump saying Democratic states should 'LIBERATE' themselves from COVID lockdowns, people are only wearing masks out of spite for him, the US has it under control and that it'd all go away eventually any way.

Maybe you like being gaslit (gaslighted?), but most of us can see what's going on here.

Voter turnout!
Voter turnout!
Voter turnout!

Cool story, Jan.

Reactions: Circlejoe
The problem with everything you've said here is that we have a plethora of tweets and interviews of Trump saying Democratic states should 'LIBERATE' themselves from COVID lockdowns, people are only wearing masks out of spite for him, the US has it under control and that it'd all go away eventually any way.

Maybe you like being gaslit (gaslighted?), but most of us can see what's going on here.

You have to admit, Trump did make some recommendations for battling COVID...bleach...disinfectant, high-intensity light (inserted internally), and some malaria drug. Nothing calms a panicked populace like telling people to stick a light bulb up their ass. :cool:

Trump misled me. He insisted it was just like the flu and that it would magically go away. I then followed his recommendation of liberating myself, even though he told my governor that they would manage the pandemic at the state-level, and I later followed his advice of taking that hydroxychloroquine drank. He said it would work but it didn't.

When he gave information that conflicted with the health experts at the press briefings, I followed his advice. When he posted dank tweet after dank tweet, I listened. Why would he say all of these things while telling Woodward the opposite? Did you listen to the tapes?

Yet, here we are still wearing masks, not visiting businesses, and not close to a somewhat better stage of recovery. And there you are...

if Trump was telling all of this to Woodward then how is it thatFauci, Birx, Pense and all sat there for months without saying anything with regard to the major disconnect between the president's knowledge and what he was telling the public. How is this not treasonous?

Reactions: Bill4411
No he didn't "ban" travel from China.

Even the Trump-kissing NY Post agrees:

The Trump administration's so-called "ban" had at least 11 exceptions that let hundreds of thousands of people come to the U.S. from China in the first quarter of 2020.

COH, you really don't need to help him lie. He, Pence and Barbie the Press Secretary are excellent liars already.

Trump misled me. He insisted it was just like the flu and that it would magically go away. I then followed his recommendation of liberating myself, even though he told my governor that they would manage the pandemic at the state-level, and I later followed his advice of taking that hydroxychloroquine drank. He said it would work but it didn't.

When he gave information that conflicted with the health experts at the press briefings, I followed his advice. When he posted dank tweet after dank tweet, I listened. Why would he say all of these things while telling Woodward the opposite? Did you listen to the tapes?

Yet, here we are still wearing masks, not visiting businesses, and not close to a somewhat better stage of recovery. And there you are...
I, too, was misled about that "hydroxychloroquine drink." I can't stand gin and tonic.

No he didn't "ban" travel from China.

Even the Trump-kissing NY Post agrees:

The Trump administration's so-called "ban" had at least 11 exceptions that let hundreds of thousands of people come to the U.S. from China in the first quarter of 2020.

COH, you really don't need to help him lie. He, Pence and Barbie the Press Secretary are excellent liars already.

That’s true. He couldn’t ban all. But those who were banned were banned.

• Haha
Reactions: outside shooter

All that, and claiming Trump banned travel from China is a stretch at best. After all the loopholes there were tens (if not hundreds) of thousands who managed to come here from China. Even Fox News talked about this. Of course Trump just kept spewing the same horseshit that he banned travel (to make it sound like he shut it down completely or something) and people like this CO guy lapped it up like it was chocolate ice cream.

ADVERTISEMENT