ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson Success Formula

Indiana_1993

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2015
Everyone watched our team and agreed that our failure was a direct result of the fact that we couldn't hit a free throw, a 15-footer, or an open three. We flat out couldn't shoot the ball. It didn't take very many tape sessions for Coach to see a change in culture and lineup was what was needed. People were upset because we had players leave in the portal. I was upset that we didn't have more leave because I doubt my heart could take another season of dribble, dribble, dribble at the top of the key only to shoot with six seconds left. It was flat out killing me!

He did the right thing - he fired the people who were not a fit and brought in kids who have proven that they are workers on both ends of the court and can shoot the basketball. I believe Rob Phinisee is going to be a fantastic player next year in this offense. Asking Rob to create shots within that lineup was an impossible task. This team will be in constant motion with three players who can handle the ball. I do not see Lander seeing the court very often as the game was too fast and complex for him. I also see Leal growing over the summer and battling for time. He's a fighter and wants to be in motion all the time. The same is true with Trey. With a little space created by motion picks and a solid threat from a right-handed TJD, I see the 20-footer opening up for these guys.

Next year is going to be a really fun year to watch. My guess is we'll not lose against Pur-Don't!

Everyone watched our team and agreed that our failure was a direct result of the fact that we couldn't hit a free throw, a 15-footer, or an open three. We flat out couldn't shoot the ball. It didn't take very many tape sessions for Coach to see a change in culture and lineup was what was needed. People were upset because we had players leave in the portal. I was upset that we didn't have more leave because I doubt my heart could take another season of dribble, dribble, dribble at the top of the key only to shoot with six seconds left. It was flat out killing me!

He did the right thing - he fired the people who were not a fit and brought in kids who have proven that they are workers on both ends of the court and can shoot the basketball. I believe Rob Phinisee is going to be a fantastic player next year in this offense. Asking Rob to create shots within that lineup was an impossible task. This team will be in constant motion with three players who can handle the ball. I do not see Lander seeing the court very often as the game was too fast and complex for him. I also see Leal growing over the summer and battling for time. He's a fighter and wants to be in motion all the time. The same is true with Trey. With a little space created by motion picks and a solid threat from a right-handed TJD, I see the 20-footer opening up for these guys.

Next year is going to be a really fun year to watch. My guess is we'll not lose against Pur-Don't!
Interesting place there in your mind! Fired the people who didn't fit? Who was that, AD and AF... they were the problem, and he fired them and didn't try and keep them? Brunk who never played a minute? I'm looking forward to next season and the future, but don't expect too much, and let's not create an alternate truth. Be great to sweep Purdue, but realistically (I know, I don't think that enters your wonderland often!) they are going to be good and if I were betting on a sweep, it would be on them not us. We didn't add any post depth, so it's going to be another year of watching our undersized guys try and hold off their bigger guys. Let's get 1 first.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2

Trey, Leal and Rob are most likely in the 10-13 group on the bench with Duncomb. Sorry, but your write up is almost all wrong. We sucked last year because are system sucked and asked players to do what they were bad at. #1 being Rob being a PG. He is an awful passer, dribbler, facilitator and shooter, yet Archie ran the offense through him. I doubt he will play more than 15 mons a game if he is even on the team this year.

Trey, Leal and Rob are most likely in the 10-13 group on the bench with Duncomb. Sorry, but your write up is almost all wrong. We sucked last year because are system sucked and asked players to do what they were bad at. #1 being Rob being a PG. He is an awful passer, dribbler, facilitator and shooter, yet Archie ran the offense through him. I doubt he will play more than 15 mons a game if he is even on the team this year.
I agree, and think that RP brings nothing to the table except three years of under-performing. Maybe he was the victim of a system/coach that held him back, but he's not going to have some basketball epiphany over the summer. I can't see him being on the floor while Stewart and/or Johnson sit on the bench. Lander is the future, and if Bates is anywhere near as advertised, CMW would be repeating the mistakes of the past by trusting the offense to him.

And he's not so great at the FT line either.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Rob is the best on ball defender on the team and has the best body control in attacking the rim-able to score on bigger help defenders. He is not a problem and will improve his confidence in this offense.

He may not shoot outside as much and that will be fine, but the truth is he isn't as bad a shooter as he showed.

He is miles ahead of Lander, at least at this time, as a point guard.

Interesting place there in your mind! Fired the people who didn't fit? Who was that, AD and AF... they were the problem, and he fired them and didn't try and keep them? Brunk who never played a minute? I'm looking forward to next season and the future, but don't expect too much, and let's not create an alternate truth. Be great to sweep Purdue, but realistically (I know, I don't think that enters your wonderland often!) they are going to be good and if I were betting on a sweep, it would be on them not us. We didn't add any post depth, so it's going to be another year of watching our undersized guys try and hold off their bigger guys. Let's get 1 first.
I agree. Al and Franklin were literally our best two 3 point shooters on the team. We kept all the horrible shooters, mostly Rob and Lander.

For this team to reach the expectations of most people here, Rob, Lander, Galloway and either/both of Race and TJD have to find a way to shoot 35%+ from outside.

I believe we will be better with the shooters we brought in but for the lofty expectations I am seeing, we need returning players to vastly improve their games.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
There is more to the game than shooting.

I wonder how many people saying Rob is worthless also thought Dane Fife was worthless prior to his senior year. There is something called defense ;)

Reactions: still4IU
I agree. Al and Franklin were literally our best two 3 point shooters on the team. We kept all the horrible shooters, mostly Rob and Lander.

For this team to reach the expectations of most people here, Rob, Lander, Galloway and either/both of Race and TJD have to find a way to shoot 35%+ from outside.

I believe we will be better with the shooters we brought in but for the lofty expectations I am seeing, we need returning players to vastly improve their games.
Al only really started shooting at a higher clip as the season went on. He gets better the last month of the season. We need more consistent shooters and we got 3 that I think are. I totally agree the rest must get remarkable better at shooting or it’s going to be rough. I’m still hopeful.

Reactions: Beorik
There is more to the game than shooting.

I wonder how many people saying Rob is worthless also thought Dane Fife was worthless prior to his senior year. There is something called defense ;)
Dane was a very bad offensive guy for 2 3/4 of his time at IU. The style of offense helped him.

Al only really started shooting at a higher clip as the season went on. He gets better the last month of the season. We need more consistent shooters and we got 3 that I think are. I totally agree the rest must get remarkable better at shooting or it’s going to be rough. I’m still hopeful.
Al started the year pretty bad for sure. I think he ended up shooting like 38% from 3 on the year which means he really finished the year great. My biggest problem with Al was he was asked to be our creator way too much. He wasn’t great finishing around the rim and he dribbled himself into trouble. If Rob or Lander either one could have played like an average offensive point guard then I think Al would have had a great year.

Hopefully next year with the addition of Johnson we will not have that problem.

WTF? "I do not see Lander seeing the court very often as the game was too fast and complex for him" . You are so wrong on THIS!
This new offense will fit his skill set nicely.

Ward, you're being a little hard on the Beaver.

Two players I don't mind losing from last years team left. Durham and Brunk. I was sorry to see Franklin leave. While another big man satisfies the part of me raised in the 70's and early 80's, I realize that 4's are more athletic, often smaller and more of an outside shooting threat than when I was learning the game.

I'm a little nervous about the 4 out - one in offense. Teams will have to go smaller and quicker if we can shoot well enough and space the floor. We have 3 players that could play inside if we can't.

We will see how it works out. I feel I will like this year better than the zombies we had on the floorlast year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT