ADVERTISEMENT

Woman's Intuition about Archie

SoccerSammy

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2012
Flash back to November 2017.... I fortunately missed the Indiana St. game because my family was doing something.... Just remember checking my phone and wiping my eyes a few times to make sure what I was seeing was true.... Then a couple days later, sitting on my couch with my son (my daughter, who was the bigger fan, was away for her freshman year of college). We were playing Howard, and I was excited (despite the ISU debacle) to see what kind of product the new coach was going to put on the floor. My wife (the ever casual fan) walks down at some point, looks at the screen, and promptly says, "I don't like him". My son (15 at the time) and I look at her like she has horns coming out of her head and my son says, "Mom, what are you talking about? This is the first game we've seen". My wife said, "His shirt looks ridiculous, he looks like he's wearing a turtle shirt".... For those who have been SNL fans through the years, you'll know what this means. If not, it's a pretty funny commercial sketch done just a few short years ago. So I asked my wife this year if she liked the more buff looking, tight-shirt wearing version. She just grumbled. If only Fred Glass would have listened to the style commentators we might not be in the current mess we are in!!!

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
Flash back to November 2017.... I fortunately missed the Indiana St. game because my family was doing something.... Just remember checking my phone and wiping my eyes a few times to make sure what I was seeing was true.... Then a couple days later, sitting on my couch with my son (my daughter, who was the bigger fan, was away for her freshman year of college). We were playing Howard, and I was excited (despite the ISU debacle) to see what kind of product the new coach was going to put on the floor. My wife (the ever casual fan) walks down at some point, looks at the screen, and promptly says, "I don't like him". My son (15 at the time) and I look at her like she has horns coming out of her head and my son says, "Mom, what are you talking about? This is the first game we've seen". My wife said, "His shirt looks ridiculous, he looks like he's wearing a turtle shirt".... For those who have been SNL fans through the years, you'll know what this means. If not, it's a pretty funny commercial sketch done just a few short years ago. So I asked my wife this year if she liked the more buff looking, tight-shirt wearing version. She just grumbled. If only Fred Glass would have listened to the style commentators we might not be in the current mess we are in!!!

I have no idea of what a turtle shirt is.......but I remember that in the first two years or so he was wearing a suit that was 2 sizes too small for him. Looked ridiculous.....the guy makes $3.2M a year and can't dress himself? At the time I wondered why Glass (or anyone) wouldn't say something to him about it. Kind of an "emperor has no clothes" moment.

A small thing, but just an example of how the guy has never looked comfortable in his own skin in this job.

I have no idea of what a turtle shirt is.......but I remember that in the first two years or so he was wearing a suit that was 2 sizes too small for him. Looked ridiculous.....the guy makes $3.2M a year and can't dress himself? At the time I wondered why Glass (or anyone) wouldn't say something to him about it. Kind of an "emperor has no clothes" moment.

A small thing, but just an example of how the guy has never looked comfortable in his own skin in this job.

You know, I'd forgotten about this, but I think it's an interesting metaphor for Archie's situation.

I do think Archie literally looks more comfortable now....in his little sweaters and polo shirts....and he has, in a sense, settled into the position.

Unfortunately, he's been too late in making changes.

It took him 3 years to get rid of the bad eggs. Now the roster, while not talented, is devoid of malcontents.

The Lander-Leal-Galloway-Geronimo class is the type of class he needed early on. Now, it doesn't have time to develop. The stars that we've had.....Morgan, Romeo, TJD have had to put up with a lot and have been dragged down by the roster.

His original coaching staff sucked. The development guy (forget his name) wasn't really a coach. Buster was awful, and never got a decent recruit. His staff now is much better. Too late, because now we can't recruit any top 50 guys. So the chance for any type of real competitiveness with Archie is gone, unless TJD returns. That seems unlikely. And even then, we'd have to be a 'surprise' team that over-achieved and finished 1-3 in the BT. Unlikely. So, unlikely x unlikely = very damn unlikely.

You know, I'd forgotten about this, but I think it's an interesting metaphor for Archie's situation.

I do think Archie literally looks more comfortable now....in his little sweaters and polo shirts....and he has, in a sense, settled into the position.

It took him 3 years to get rid of the bad eggs. Now the roster, while not talented, is devoid of malcontents.

The Lander-Leal-Galloway-Geronimo class is the type of class he needed early on. Now, it doesn't have time to develop. The stars that we've had.....Morgan, Romeo, TJD have had to put up with a lot and have been dragged down by the roster.

His original coaching staff sucked. The development guy (forget his name) wasn't really a coach. Buster was awful, and never got a decent recruit. His staff now is much better. Too late, because now we can't recruit any top 50 guys. So the chance for any type of real competitiveness with Archie is gone, unless TJD returns. That seems unlikely. And even then, we'd have to be a 'surprise' team that over-achieved and finished 1-3 in the BT. Unlikely. So, unlikely x unlikely = very damn unlikely.
quit using higher math... most of us can't understand it.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Style points and comfortability are good. Frosh too late to the party is good. Your staff assessment is iffy. What exactly do you see from these 3 that give you any level of confidence that they are difference makers? And it's really just 2. Archie's buddy from Dayton is still here as is his strength coach.

Style points and comfortability are good. Frosh too late to the party is good. Your staff assessment is iffy. What exactly do you see from these 3 that give you any level of confidence that they are difference makers? And it's really just 2. Archie's buddy from Dayton is still here as is his strength coach.

Yes, re-reading that, perhaps too optimistic. It's more like "can't be any worse". What was the name of the AC who ran the development camp? Did he ever get a recruit or otherwise contribute? What about Buster? Was he involved with Geronimo? Maybe the Forrester kid from PA? At least Roberts and Hunter are trying.

I am curious and havent heard anything said, but where has his wife been? I don't mean this year but there were a lot of online pictures of her at Dayton games and I haven't seen much, if anything about her since he got to IU . Maybe that has something to do with things?

Yes, re-reading that, perhaps too optimistic. It's more like "can't be any worse". What was the name of the AC who ran the development camp? Did he ever get a recruit or otherwise contribute? What about Buster? Was he involved with Geronimo? Maybe the Forrester kid from PA? At least Roberts and Hunter are trying.
Ed Schilling and Bruiser Flint are the people you're referring to.

Reactions: mk23
I am curious and havent heard anything said, but where has his wife been? I don't mean this year but there were a lot of online pictures of her at Dayton games and I haven't seen much, if anything about her since he got to IU . Maybe that has something to do with things?

She sits behind the bench at (some of / most of / all of) the games.

IUMSU0002.jpg

yeah i'm really going to miss her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT