ADVERTISEMENT

With a solid start, I expect IU's next two or three recruits to be recruiting coups...

fireforeffect

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2016
Only two or three (if DD goes to NBA) positions available... It's going to be interesting none-the-less... GO Hoosiers!!!

Only two or three (if DD goes to NBA) positions available... It's going to be interesting none-the-less... GO Hoosiers!!!
I could see Phinesee and or Henry as the next two commits. Hopefully somehow we can get Romeo as well and that would be a very good class. Also if Davis leaves then we could try to get a 5th year transfer big man.

It might be hoping for too much, but a Romeo / Garland would be a coup. And IMHO I believe we've got a better chance than people think.
That would be great but I don't think we have a great chance at Garland. I know it is not always accurate but the crystal ball has Duke and Vanderbilt was warmer and IU and UK as warm for Garland. I think we have a descent chance at Romeo if he wants to stay close to home but not deal with the UL mess.

That would be great but I don't think we have a great chance at Garland. I know it is not always accurate but the crystal ball has Duke and Vanderbilt was warmer and IU and UK as warm for Garland. I think we have a descent chance at Romeo if he wants to stay close to home but not deal with the UL mess.

Is Duke interested? Yes - but they're more interested in Tre Jones. And their interest in Romeo has receded; IMHO they're looking more and more at Reddish.

UK is locked in on Quickley (which will likely net them Williamson as well). And I got the feeling that Romeo's time with Calipari wasn't the best thing for either; just not the right fit.

When it's all said and done, IU might end up with two great players just because other programs value certain players more.

I would hope the next 2 commits are elite talent. No offense to Archies first 3 commits but the IU HC should be able to land guys like that in his sleep. Crean was essentially a dead man walking when he landed Justin Smith and Clifton Moore and both are on the same level as Archies first 3 guys.

Is Duke interested? Yes - but they're more interested in Tre Jones. And their interest in Romeo has receded; IMHO they're looking more and more at Reddish.

UK is locked in on Quickley (which will likely net them Williamson as well). And I got the feeling that Romeo's time with Calipari wasn't the best thing for either; just not the right fit.

When it's all said and done, IU might end up with two great players just because other programs value certain players more.
I thought I read somewhere that Garland and Jones wouldn't mind going to the same school.

I would hope the next 2 commits are elite talent. No offense to Archies first 3 commits but the IU HC should be able to land guys like that in his sleep. Crean was essentially a dead man walking when he landed Justin Smith and Clifton Moore and both are on the same level as Archies first 3 guys.
Over half of Crean's recruits were well below Archie's first 3. Crean landed more 0 and 3 stars than he did 4 and 5 stars combined. That was the problem. I agree we need elite players as well but I'm encouraged by not seeing the random 0 star recruit commit out of nowhere. I doubt we see that moving forward.

I hope you are right fpeaugh. One of Creans biggest problems was offering D2 talent like Priller and Gelon. However, he also landed a burger boy in 5 straight classes at one point. If Archie can do that and fill in the rest of the spots with guys like his first 3 commits I think we'll be elite yet again.

Reactions: mazz

Yeah, having a team of 4 stars that stay 4 years would really suck.....

Speaking generally, I think the staff has done a great job in a short period of time. The recruiting late start could have potentially got away the staff, but it didn't. I'd take Langford and/or Garland all day long. But if they go elsewhere, I won't consider that a failure. It was a late start with a lot of ground to make up.

For the record I think Archie is doing a fantastic job and was a great hire. Just saying that eventually we need to land some 5 stars if we want to compete with the big boys. I never expected that in his first recruiting class though as we started too far behind.

Speaking generally, I think the staff has done a great job in a short period of time. The recruiting late start could have potentially got away the staff, but it didn't. I'd take Langford and/or Garland all day long. But if they go elsewhere, I won't consider that a failure. It was a late start with a lot of ground to make up.
Spot on

Either Langford or Garland would be great. Both would be awesome, but having very good 4 star players who are 3-4 year players is a good way to start building a team. I'm stoked about where he has us as far as personnel. Another very good big 6'9" or bigger would be great, but if we miss out on 5-star talent I won't be dissuaded. Give him time to show the product and build a consistent and very competitive team, and those will start coming. But nothing wrong with starting a little early...

It's important to avoid large scale class turnover. They need to fill the remainder of the class with guards- more so than 5-stars. That being said, there are some pretty great 4- and 5-star guards out there still.

I could see Phinesee and or Henry as the next two commits. Hopefully somehow we can get Romeo as well and that would be a very good class. Also if Davis leaves then we could try to get a 5th year transfer big man.

I don't think Henry will commit to IU nor do I want him to at this point. We have more than enough wings. PG, SG, and C are the needs.

Either Langford or Garland would be great. Both would be awesome, but having very good 4 star players who are 3-4 year players is a good way to start building a team. I'm stoked about where he has us as far as personnel. Another very good big 6'9" or bigger would be great, but if we miss out on 5-star talent I won't be dissuaded. Give him time to show the product and build a consistent and very competitive team, and those will start coming. But nothing wrong with starting a little early...

Crean was known in some quarters (not mine) for "player development".

IMHO, we're really gonna see player development under Archie - esp with Eddie and Clif on the staff. Has anyone seen the pics of DeRon? The change in his body? Couple that with the way I know Schilling can teach fundamentals and technique and I really feel this staff will be able to develop kids better than their predecessors.

Having said that, I still wouldn't be a bit surprised if CAM pulls in both Garland and Romeo. What CAM is putting together is respected and is easy to sell. Only thing to be concerned about is short amount of time to build relationships with this years top kids.

IMO if Arch can do well in the context of the current roster e.g. Win a couple of the big games, finish in the top four of the BIG, and win a game or two in the dance I think the recruiting quickly becomes what it should be and the sky is the limit.

If he struggles, it is understandable and all is not lost but the impact won't be as dramatic.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Crean was known in some quarters (not mine) for "player development".

IMHO, we're really gonna see player development under Archie - esp with Eddie and Clif on the staff. Has anyone seen the pics of DeRon? The change in his body? Couple that with the way I know Schilling can teach fundamentals and technique and I really feel this staff will be able to develop kids better than their predecessors.

Having said that, I still wouldn't be a bit surprised if CAM pulls in both Garland and Romeo. What CAM is putting together is respected and is easy to sell. Only thing to be concerned about is short amount of time to build relationships with this years top kids.

I thought Tom Crean was a genuinely good guy.... with that being said, it is also my opinion with 10 games remaining last season, a chimpanzee using only sign language should have been able to take that group and win one game in the NCAA tournament...

I thought Tom Crean was a genuinely good guy.... with that being said, it is also my opinion with 10 games remaining last season, a chimpanzee using only sign language should have been able to take that group and win one game in the NCAA tournament...

I'm not so sure on the "good guy" thing. The guy never once took personal responsibility for anything and always blamed others. Heck, after he got fired he ripped Glass for not "supporting him enough".....which is beyond absurd..

I thought Tom Crean was a genuinely good guy....

I'm not so sure on the "good guy" thing. The guy never once took personal responsibility for anything and always blamed others. Heck, after he got fired he ripped Glass for not "supporting him enough".....which is beyond absurd..

If ever calling a basketball coach a "good guy" could be considered an oxymoron, Crean was it.

Did he do some meaningful charity work towards others? Yes.

But as Vegas pointed out, when it came to his shortcomings in basketball he was always pointing the finger elsewhere. And the Creaning of kids is not done by a "genuinely good guy".

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
If ever calling a basketball coach a "good guy" could be considered an oxymoron, Crean was it.

Did he do some meaningful charity work towards others? Yes.

But as Vegas pointed out, when it came to his shortcomings in basketball he was always pointing the finger elsewhere. And the Creaning of kids is not done by a "genuinely good guy".
Also opposing coaches were not fans.

Yes for coaching against but not because of his personality
Really - you think they wanted to coach against a guy that won 2 B10 titles in 4 years?

And you guys using 'Creaning' as a term for players leaving - happens everywhere.

I'm glad Archie is the coach, and think the ceiling is higher now, but Crean wasn't all bad.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
And you guys using 'Creaning' as a term for players leaving - happens everywhere.

Every school over-signs so they have to force kids out? I doubt it.

And please forgive me for laughing at "everyone does it" as the excuse. If "everyone cheats", is that ok for us too?

If you have kids, do you let them do anything they want because "everyone does it"?

Reactions: hondo314
Really - you think they wanted to coach against a guy that won 2 B10 titles in 4 years?

I'm glad Archie is the coach, and think the ceiling is higher now, but Crean wasn't all bad.

were they scared the years he could barely go .500 for the season?

Crean is easily a top-60 coach and everything about his record and accomplishments suggests that.

but keep lugging that cross if it feels good. martyr tom needs his apostles to embellish as much as possible.

Found this funny on Twitter: (peegs article)
We asked Phinisee for one key thing that stands out to him about each school.

“With IU, I know it’s Indiana. They’ve won five national championships. There’s a new coaching staff and they want to the in-state kids to stay home and try to bring a national championship.”

“Purdue, I know the big thing with them is being a hometown kid, staying home, being a hometown hero, so that’s a big thing.”

Last edited:

Actually, fans at some schools use the term "painting" but I think this might refer to making changes in the cheerleading staff. Not sure though.

Yes I am....he had basically 2 years where he achieved something at IU. Rest of his tenure he underachieved or got out coached.

Reactions: mazz and jimmygoiu

^Creaniac Alert!^

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT