ADVERTISEMENT

With a 1-4 offense, how does that affect offensive rebounding?

Tru2Irish

Senior
Aug 2, 2013
Do they crash the boards ? Seems like if you miss shots,it gives the D the rebound advantage. Don't really know is why I am asking.

Do they crash the boards ? Seems like if you miss shots,it gives the D the rebound advantage. Don't really know is why I am asking.
Be interested to hear other responses, but I don't think the "rules" change that much: when the shot goes up, find your man, make contact and block out... top guy back doesn't crash and is responsible for run outs. So, really doesn't matter if I'm blocking my guy out 5' or 25' from the basket.

to me, the killer is lack of discipline - knowing when/how to crash the boards and not make a miss turn into an easy fast break and/or an over the back call.

Probably won't change much. Would have to assume the defense will also be more spread out when the shot goes up than they might otherwise be if we had 2 post players.

We may be at a size disadvantage, but on positive side it may make it harder for defenders to box us out. Plus, if our shots come from longer range, the balls will tend to bounce farther for the rebound and give us a better opportunity to get it.

I don't think it will hurt us with offensive rebounding.

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC
Rebounding in general is more about your commitment to it as a program, and having guys on the floor that go get rebounds, hopefully relentlessly.

Obviously having size near the basket helps you rebound. But if they’re not active and aggressively going after the ball, they’ll lose out to 6’5-6’7” guys that are attacking the glass, nearly every time.

So to answer your question...no, not necessarily. And I think we’ll have TJD and Race on the floor a fair bit together, so while it might be setup like a 4 around 1. Those 2 guys will offensive rebound.

Probably won't change much. Would have to assume the defense will also be more spread out when the shot goes up than they might otherwise be if we had 2 post players.

We may be at a size disadvantage, but on positive side it may make it harder for defenders to box us out. Plus, if our shots come from longer range, the balls will tend to bounce farther for the rebound and give us a better opportunity to get it.

I don't think it will hurt us with offensive rebounding.
True... I was thinking more of defensive rebounding anyway. I would think it really comes down to shooting prowess. if you've got good perimeter shooters, defenders will have to be closer which should allow more room for rebounds. And the old addage is that a long shot creates a long rebound.

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
True... I was thinking more of defensive rebounding anyway. I would think it really comes down to shooting prowess. if you've got good perimeter shooters, defenders will have to be closer which should allow more room for rebounds. And the old addage is that a long shot creates a long rebound.
your last line is so true. In high school I would clean house on the boards. Fast foward 30+ yrs later and I'm playing weekend warrior ball at my local gym with the 20-50 yr old crowd and everyone is chucking from 22 feet. At first I was frustrated because my down-on-the-blocks training and blocking out just led to watching missed shots fly over my head, and more times than not, the guy I was blocking out down low, ended up getting the rebound. So yes...long rebounds are now a fact of life on the court. But it still comes back to finding your man and fighting for position. Just out at 10-15 feet, rather than under the rim.

It still does drive me nuts when an opponent misses a layup and IU gives up 2-3 consecutive close-range rebounds/put backs underneath. That's all heart balls and toughness. Strength and position helps out too.

your last line is so true. In high school I would clean house on the boards. Fast foward 30+ yrs later and I'm playing weekend warrior ball at my local gym with the 20-50 yr old crowd and everyone is chucking from 22 feet. At first I was frustrated because my down-on-the-blocks training and blocking out just led to watching missed shots fly over my head, and more times than not, the guy I was blocking out down low, ended up getting the rebound. So yes...long rebounds are now a fact of life on the court. But it still comes back to finding your man and fighting for position. Just out at 10-15 feet, rather than under the rim.

It still does drive me nuts when an opponent misses a layup and IU gives up 2-3 consecutive close-range rebounds/put backs underneath. That's all heart balls and toughness. Strength and position helps out too.
where do we find these heart balls you speak of?

I’m not worried. Look at Baylor’s guards. They iutrebounded the forwards. 6’5” vital lead them at like 7 boards a game. The rest of the guards rebounded well too. They all crashed.

Quickness and Speed to loose ball rebounds is more important than rebounding under the basket off of missed 3pt shots.
The game has changed. IU will change to become a more wide open offense with shooters and one post player.

I’m not worried. Look at Baylor’s guards. They iutrebounded the forwards. 6’5” vital lead them at like 7 boards a game. The rest of the guards rebounded well too. They all crashed
Baylor guards were quicker than the Zags to every loose ball rebound off of primarily deep 3pt attempts that will bounce much further away from the basket resulting in guards running to loose balls much more important than a post player getting a rebound under the bucket.

3s count more than 2s.
Simple math.
Shooting a lower % 3pt shots is a higher overall point per possession that 2pt shots.
Archie never adjusted and recruited shooters.
Woodson is.

Any system can work. The only thing that matters about a system is whether or not kids want to play in it. College sports are 99% recruiting.

And to answer the question directly it shouldn’t materially matter. A lot of offensive rebounds are track down long kick outs.

Any system can work. The only thing that matters about a system is whether or not kids want to play in it. College sports are 99% recruiting.

And to answer the question directly it shouldn’t materially matter. A lot of offensive rebounds are track down long kick outs.
Systems do matter. Look at the tournament the last few years. The majority of teams getting to the 3rd weekend aren’t exactly playing in the post. It’s a wide open pro style that’s thrashing everything else. No longer a post dominated game.

To be clear, the 1-4 offense is not what Woodson wants to run. It's actually the opposite.

To your point, spacing and quickness can help offset size. I'll take an athletic 6'-9" with range over a slower 7' player that doesn't leave the paint.

Systems do matter. Look at the tournament the last few years. The majority of teams getting to the 3rd weekend aren’t exactly playing in the post. It’s a wide open pro style that’s thrashing everything else. No longer a post dominated game.
The teams getting the furthest have the most talent. If it was the system you’d see less talented teams deep in the tournament. Talent wins. I believe this staff gives us our best chance in 20 years to get the necessary talent.

Crash from opposite side of shot to create space for shooters. I’ve played it. Not for slow guys who can’t jump. Teams can’t sit in paint. Give up too many 10 footers. Got to come get you which creates rebounding lanes. Massive grin! I didn’t do well. Go Hoosiers!

Rebounding in general is more about your commitment to it as a program, and having guys on the floor that go get rebounds, hopefully relentlessly.

Obviously having size near the basket helps you rebound. But if they’re not active and aggressively going after the ball, they’ll lose out to 6’5-6’7” guys that are attacking the glass, nearly every time.

So to answer your question...no, not necessarily. And I think we’ll have TJD and Race on the floor a fair bit together, so while it might be setup like a 4 around 1. Those 2 guys will offensive rebound.
Race + TJD don’t make much sense in 4-1. Neither one stretches the D at all. We’ll see if they develop jumpshots, but zero sign of it so far. Would be really surprised if Race shares time with Trayce if this is truly the push.

The teams getting the furthest have the most talent. If it was the system you’d see less talented teams deep in the tournament. Talent wins. I believe this staff gives us our best chance in 20 years to get the necessary talent.
Experience and talent wins. UK has proven it takes more than just talent.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Quickness and Speed to loose ball rebounds is more important than rebounding under the basket off of missed 3pt shots.
The game has changed. IU will change to become a more wide open offense with shooters and one post player.
That is what I absolutely despised about AM's gimmick D .... missed shot, whos gonna get to it first? One of the 5 guys ritualistically standing with their back to the basket or maybe one of the 5 other guys that know it was a miss first and don't have to spin, beat their man, and try to get it. It's a poor man's D unless you're going up against Shaq every night

No shit Sherlock. Nobody said it didn’t but it’s not like all the teams making had knock out the recruiting trail. It just makes it easier but the notion that systems don’t matter is false. If any system made it how come Michigan state and Wisconsin don’t have more final 4s? They beat up on everyone in the big ten but can’t win one.

A 4 out 1 in offense can represent a number of different offenses. I will be honest, I do not know explicitly if he is referring to a more motion based and/or read n react dribble drive look. Assuming it will be a blend thst will involve a lot of ball screen action. Almost every offense is predicated on spacing and creating gaps so by referencing 4 out that represents most offenses in the modern game. Unless he has gone into detail I am unaware of, his offensive philosophy remains a bit of a mystery.

I coach high school ball in the northern half of the state and the biggest thing is you better have guards who are willing to get after it and rebound. As far as offensive rebounds you better only crash 3 You should have 2 dropping back to stop the break because if you have 4 outside the 3 line when the shot goes up you have potentially 4 players that are threats on the break. You have to really be careful unless you have high bball iq guys that can read the guy they are guarding

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Experience and talent wins. UK has proven it takes more than just talent.

No shit Sherlock. Nobody said it didn’t but it’s not like all the teams making had knock out the recruiting trail. It just makes it easier but the notion that systems don’t matter is false. If any system made it how come Michigan state and Wisconsin don’t have more final 4s? They beat up on everyone in the big ten but can’t win one.
What has UK proven? Have you been in a coma the last 15 years?

In 11 seasons with Cal UK has been to 7 Elite 8s, 5 Final Fours, and won a title.

The last time IU made an Elite 8 the US hadn’t even invaded Iraq, no one knew what a Google was, the iPhone was 5 years away, Amazon was a bookstore, Facebook/Twitter/social media didn’t even exist. What in the world is wrong with you? How can you be so blind?

And MSU/Wisky never win in the tournament because the Big Ten is a below average conference and has been overrated for 20 years. The tournament shows this every year and every year fans fall for it all over again.

Reactions: 82hoosier

In 11 seasons with Cal UK has been to 7 Elite 8s, 5 Final Fours, and won a title.

The last time IU made an Elite 8 the US hadn’t even invaded Iraq, no one knew what a Google was, the iPhone was 5 years away, Amazon was a bookstore, Facebook/Twitter/social media didn’t even exist. What in the world is wrong with you? How can you be so blind?

And MSU/Wisky never win in the tournament because the Big Ten is a below average conference and has been overrated for 20 years. The tournament shows this every year and every year fans fall for it all over again.
Google had been around for 5 years. Amazon started selling power tools 3 years earlier (they bought one of my customers and we did the migration and integration work). The US had invaded Iraq over 10 years earlier. The social network Six Degrees had 3.5 million users and had already been bought and sold for $125M a few years earlier. Maybe stick with what you know, whatever that might be, because you're obviously not as bright as you fancy yourself to be.

Feepee...continuously arguing moot points since....1972. Good grief. So now you are saying their players didn’t have the talent.

Google had been around for 5 years. Amazon started selling power tools 3 years earlier (they bought one of my customers and we did the migration and integration work). The US had invaded Iraq over 10 years earlier. The social network Six Degrees had 3.5 million users and had already been bought and sold for $125M a few years earlier. Maybe stick with what you know, whatever that might be, because you're obviously not as bright as you fancy yourself to be.

Feepee...continuously arguing moot points since....1972. Good grief. So now you are saying their players didn’t have the talent.
In 2002 the two most popular search engines were Yahoo and MSN. The Iraq war began in March 2003. And the fact that you had to even mention Six Degrees just proves my point.

And IU fans keep criticizing UK for “only” going to 7 Elite 8s in the 11 NCAA Tournaments since Calipari went to UK. It’s baffling and beyond ignorant.

And no MSU or Wisky have never consistently had the talent to compete for championships. Basketball isn’t a NASA science lab. If it was you’d have nerds coaching. Why do people insist on over complicating it? Get better players and you stack the odds heavily in your favor, period.

In 2002 the two most popular search engines were Yahoo and MSN. The Iraq war began in March 2003. And the fact that you had to even mention Six Degrees just proves my point.

And IU fans keep criticizing UK for “only” going to 7 Elite 8s in the 11 NCAA Tournaments since Calipari went to UK. It’s baffling and beyond ignorant.

And no MSU or Wisky have never consistently had the talent to compete for championships. Basketball isn’t a NASA science lab. If it was you’d have nerds coaching. Why do people insist on over complicating it? Get better players and you stack the odds heavily in your favor, period.
You must’ve been waiting a decade to post that. 🤦🏻

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Remember Ralph Sampson at Virginia playing 20-plus feet away from the basket? Do you send a defender out to try to block a shot 20 feet away from a guy that's 7 foot 3? Or do you just say thank you to the Virginia coaching staff for running such a stupid offense?

You must’ve been waiting a decade to post that. 🤦🏻
It’s way past time for IU fans to lose the delusions and start living in reality. Let’s stop denying UK’s dominance the last decade and just catch up to them. This staff gives us a chance. Catch up kid.

Reactions: Seyton
It’s way past time for IU fans to lose the delusions and start living in reality. Let’s stop denying UK’s dominance the last decade and just catch up to them. This staff gives us a chance. Catch up kid.
Just shut it. We know how you just love Purdue and UK. We can’t even talk about IU anymore without you trashing a post. Give it a friggin rest. Not one word of my post has anything remotely saying anything about UK. I’m no kid I’m an adult. “Catch up” boomer.

The 1-4 isn't strictly going to be a post player on the block and everyone else standing around the perimeter. We'll have cutters, weaves, off ball action.

There will be more room in the middle lane for sure, but there will still be movement.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT