ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin

I’m not sure police and military are the same. What percentage of people who join the service do so thinking it’s a career choice as opposed to something along the way to a career? Cops it’s a lifelong choice mentality

But do they plan on a career as a patrolman? Or do they plan on moving to other areas that carry far less danger.

Again, people join the military. Ranger suggested his rules of engagement has more rules than it appeared the Kenosha Police Department had. I doubt he made 6 figures.

So you want the police to get military benefits? Remember that includes tricare, GI bill, and tax free room, board, and allowances. You were also talking about apprenticeships that last years to get the job. Ask Ranger how long his basic training lasted (Probably around 10 weeks). Probably also had some technical training related to specialization as well.

So you want the police to get military benefits? Remember that includes tricare, GI bill, and tax free room, board, and allowances. You were also talking about apprenticeships that last years to get the job. Ask Ranger how long his basic training lasted (Probably around 10 weeks). Probably also had some technical training related to specialization as well.
You can ask me. Before I led soldiers in combat I had been in training from late 2001 - early 2003. So I had well over a year in training between officer candidate school, infantry basic course, airborne school, and ranger school.

How much pay would you require to work as a police officer under the rules you all would like to place on them?

I would personally laugh at you for anything less than 6 figures to go out and be the publics punching bag and the scapegoat for a community that is practically devoid of any personal responsibility.

"You all" posts suck almost as much as monolithic posts that say stupid things like "a community practically devoid of any personal responsibility." When did you become such an awful poster?

What I am getting is that better pay and more training do not help this problem at all. It makes me wonder, is there a problem?

Early in the thread martial arts were discussed. Take a look at the Wiki article on Taiho Jutsu, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiho...g art),usually armed and frequently desperate. After WWII, violent crime became a real problem in Japan. Police were prohibited from using martial arts, and they had been largely disarmed from the war. So they developed their own fighting techniques and it seems to have worked.

You can ask me. Before I led soldiers in combat I had been in training from late 2001 - early 2003. So I had well over a year in training between officer candidate school, infantry basic course, airborne school, and ranger school.

And as a Ranger and an officer to boot, you are among some of the most highly trained individuals in our military. Would that also be fair to say?

I mean, let's give police all of this military training and then pump up their pay and benefits. Sounds good. What are we cutting to do that?

And as a Ranger and an officer to boot, you are among some of the most highly trained individuals in our military. Would that also be fair to say?

I mean, let's give police all of this military training and then pump up their pay and benefits. Sounds good. What are we cutting to do that?
Welfare? Medicaid? Food stamps? ACA? So many choices...

I don't know but she was living with a drug dealer right? What exactly did the police do wrong? They were executing a lawful no knock warrant and were fired upon, right?

No. Her ex-boyfriend was the drug dealer. She left him.

It just so happens that her ex-boyfriend that they were seeking had been arrested 10 minutes PRIOR to the “no knock” warrant being executed.

It amazes me that certain folks are ALWAYS looking for a reason to justify bad police behavior. Sometimes the police are just flat out wrong, and did bad things.

Side note- no knock warrants are a HORRIBLE idea, unless it’s a hostage situation or something similar. Had the officers here identified themselves as police offices, Breonna Taylor would likely still be alive. Instead, they appeared to be breaking into the apartment, and senseless violence followed.

And, I’m not sure how being shot in the back 7 times could EVER be justified. In front of his 3 kids, no less.

Let’s face it-many police officers are out of control, and they treat black people VERY differently than others. I don’t even know how that can be disputed at this point.

For the Kenosha PD, why did they shoot the black guy 7 times in the back? And then a few nights later they allowed a white person to shoot 3 people, 2 of which died, and allowed him to walk away? The second guy was white, and was a guy who was open carrying, which isn’t even legal in WI. The guy wasn’t even from The state of WI, and even if open carry was allowed, he wouldn’t have had the right to do it anyway.

Things were bad prior to the first shooting. But the second one escalated everything to another level. Letting the kid go after he shot 3 people was ridiculous.

In short, those two shootings were a microcosm of how police officers treat different groups of people. And that’s why the protests have been sustained for so long across the country. A good chunk of the country is done with the disparate treatment of different groups of people in this country.

Reactions: cosmickid
No. Her ex-boyfriend was the drug dealer. She left him.

It just so happens that her ex-boyfriend that they were seeking had been arrested 10 minutes PRIOR to the “no knock” warrant being executed.

It amazes me that certain folks are ALWAYS looking for a reason to justify bad police behavior. Sometimes the police are just flat out wrong, and did bad things.

Side note- no knock warrants are a HORRIBLE idea, unless it’s a hostage situation or something similar. Had the officers here identified themselves as police offices, Breonna Taylor would likely still be alive. Instead, they appeared to be breaking into the apartment, and senseless violence followed.

And, I’m not sure how being shot in the back 7 times could EVER be justified. In front of his 3 kids, no less.

Let’s face it-many police officers are out of control, and they treat black people VERY differently than others. I don’t even know how that can be disputed at this point.

For the Kenosha PD, why did they shoot the black guy 7 times in the back? And then a few nights later they allowed a white person to shoot 3 people, 2 of which died, and allowed him to walk away? The second guy was white, and was a guy who was open carrying, which isn’t even legal in WI. The guy wasn’t even from The state of WI, and even if open carry was allowed, he wouldn’t have had the right to do it anyway.

Things were bad prior to the first shooting. But the second one escalated everything to another level. Letting the kid go after he shot 3 people was ridiculous.

In short, those two shootings were a microcosm of how police officers treat different groups of people. And that’s why the protests have been sustained for so long across the country. A good chunk of the country is done with the disparate treatment of different groups of people in this country.
Not true when it comes to police shootings and violent crimes. A good chunk of the country is tired of crime. Including the cops. Like someone so aptly posited the other day: we live in two countries.
Reduce crime, reduce contacts, reduce incidents. how do you reduce crime? better leaders in these cities. greater allocation of resources to prop up depressed communities. more cops not less. legalize drugs. but i don't know what that means. do you then have guys driving around wasted on fentanyl patches. reducing crime is the key imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey
Not true when it comes to police shootings and violent crimes. A good chunk of the country is tired of crime. Including the cops. Like someone so aptly posited the other day: we live in two countries.
Reduce crime, reduce contacts, reduce incidents. how do you reduce crime? better leaders in these cities. greater allocation of resources to prop up depressed communities. more cops not less. legalize drugs. but i don't know what that means. do you then have guys driving around wasted on fentanyl patches. reducing crime is the key imo.

From last Oct. looking for something more recent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe...019/10/17/facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/?amp=1

no what you posted is interesting, but it's a weird thing from i gather in my own reading. at the start of this month 36 out of our 50 biggest cities have seen a double digit increase in homicides. in some cities it's at 50 percent or more. shootings and gun violence is also up. cities with long running crime problems like stl, philly, detroit, memphis, chicago are among the worst hit.

but other types of violent crime and other crime is down. and i think generally you're right that if you go back twenty five years etc it's lower now. anyway a good read, a good relatively current read, is wsj homicide spike hits most large us cities.

i would add that the incidents that have given rise to the blm movement occurred far more frequently prior to cell phones etc.

Reactions: ulrey
no what you posted is interesting, but it's a weird thing from i gather in my own reading. at the start of this month 36 out of our 50 biggest cities have seen a double digit increase in homicides. in some cities it's at 50 percent or more. shootings and gun violence is also up. cities with long running crime problems like stl, philly, detroit, memphis, chicago are among the worst hit.

but other types of violent crime and other crime is down. and i think generally you're right that if you go back twenty five years etc it's lower now. anyway a good read, a good relatively current read, is wsj homicide spike hits most large us cities.

i would add that the incidents that have given rise to the blm movement occurred far more frequently prior to cell phones etc.

Yes and just because overall crime may be down it doesn’t mean there can’t be localized spikes. I also believe a lot of it has to do with news coverage as well. It would be interesting to see if there is a study on how much the news focuses on violent crime. The old “if it bleeds it leads” mentality.

Reactions: mcmurtry66 and Fro
Not really. Only 2% of the army is a ranger graduate but that’s selection bias because only about 4% gets a chance.

I did take advanced courses like Jumpmaster School at Bragg which is hard to pass, but otherwise my DD214 looks mostly like other infantry officers that made it through Ranger.

Not really. Only 2% of the army is a ranger graduate but that’s selection bias because only about 4% gets a chance.

I did take advanced courses like Jumpmaster School at Bragg which is hard to pass, but otherwise my DD214 looks mostly like other infantry officers that made it through Ranger.

I am not comparing your DD214 to another Ranger who holds the officer rank. I would expect that to be similar. The 4% are asked to try and only 2% make it would be what sets Rangers apart from the other 90%+ who are not Rangers or some other type of special forces unit.

I went to take a look and it appears there are definite mental and physical requirements to be considered. Don't sell yourself short. You were not in a basic infantry unit.

I am not comparing your DD214 to another Ranger who holds the officer rank. I would expect that to be similar. The 4% are asked to try and only 2% make it would be what sets Rangers apart from the other 90%+ who are not Rangers or some other type of special forces unit.

I went to take a look and it appears there are definite mental and physical requirements to be considered. Don't sell yourself short. You were not in a basic infantry unit.
Just a reminder I wasn’t in the 75th. I didn’t have a chance to try out as I was deployed during the time in service that they’d want me to try out. I was selected for specialty assignment in other high speed units but I was not in the 75th.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I have no context for this, but if this is as bad as it's being presented, this is excessive fuel for the fire. And again, this isn't heat of the moment. This is cold light of day with institutional players acting with great purpose. (But seriously, I've got no context; others may have clear and informed thoughts).

I have no context for this, but if this is as bad as it's being presented, this is excessive fuel for the fire. And again, this isn't heat of the moment. This is cold light of day with institutional players acting with great purpose. (But seriously, I've got no context; others may have clear and informed thoughts).

this is both sad and disgusting on many levels.

I don't really know the whole story on this, because I just heard snippets from a tv program I wasn't personally watching. But on one of the news programs yesterday, someone on CNN was discussing the BT case and I remember them discussing the police inquiring of postal authorities if she had been receiving "suspicious looking" packages. And according to the report, the postal reply was that they had not seen that to be true...

Berwyn police chief: (Cook County, IL) Prosecutors are “managing a catch and release program”

Being a teacher or Fireman in a bad area isn't much better. There's a reason places like CPS or SLPS have to pay more than their suburban counterparts and are still unable to attract the best talent.
Exactly. I have a friend I taught with in the city and she eventually moved out to the suburbs. Compared it to being in the military and getting paid the same for being on base in Hawaii or in the field in Iraq. Night and day.

How much pay would you require to work as a police officer under the rules you all would like to place on them?

I would personally laugh at you for anything less than 6 figures to go out and be the publics punching bag and the scapegoat for a community that is practically devoid of any personal responsibility.
If you were toxically masculine with a sadistic streak you'd do it for a whole lot less.

Wouldn’t they have to have evidence of that?

It’s sad when this is the automatic assumption rather than they must have some sort of evidence.

The Louisville PD has handled this horribly from the beginning. It’s not safe to assume that anything they do is above board, and legitimate.

Check out the original police report. And what the police did after the shooting. Louisville was already one of the most segregated cities in the country- the folks on the “west side” haven’t trusted the LPD in a LONG time.

If the LPD had “hard” evidence that BT was involved in drug dealing, someone would’ve leaked it by now. If no evidence is produced to that effect, the basis of the entire warrant unravels. And the shooting looks even worse

The attempt at finding something (anything) by making her ex-boyfriend admit that she was involved is desperation, IMO. They know they f’d up, but they still can’t admit it.

Despite all of that, she still didn’t deserve to be gunned down in her own bedroom. Let’s not loose sight of what actually happened here.

Aren’t people innocent until proven guilty? Or does that only work for some of us. There’s not been a shred of evidence that links BT to drug dealing. If an ex-boyfriend did it, that’s probably one of the reasons why he’s an EX- boyfriend. By all accounts, BT was doing well, despite being in a less than ideal Environment.

Side note- some are now apparently guilty until they decide they’re innocent (Michael Flynn). Or guilty, until their sentence is commuted (Stone). the rule of law isn’t some amorphous concept. It’s one of the foundational elements upon which this country was built- and up to this point, it has clearly been applied differently to different citizens.

The pardons/commutations of Trump after the fact only serve to highlight the discrepancies. There are literally two separate, but very unequal, justice systems in this country. And it’s been that way for quite some time. Understand that, and you’ll begin to understand the ongoing protests across the country.

Defund the police = stop f’ing with people over dumb chit that doesn’t matter. Start with the 5k mountain bikes they barely know how to ride
"Defund the police = stop f’ing with people over dumb chit that doesn’t matter," doesn't fit on a bumper sticker. "Defund the Police" fits on a bumper sticker and is the chant heard at protests. It's a horrible phrase that only hurts the BLM protestors' cause.

The Louisville PD has handled this horribly from the beginning. It’s not safe to assume that anything they do is above board, and legitimate.

Check out the original police report. And what the police did after the shooting. Louisville was already one of the most segregated cities in the country- the folks on the “west side” haven’t trusted the LPD in a LONG time.

If the LPD had “hard” evidence that BT was involved in drug dealing, someone would’ve leaked it by now. If no evidence is produced to that effect, the basis of the entire warrant unravels. And the shooting looks even worse

The attempt at finding something (anything) by making her ex-boyfriend admit that she was involved is desperation, IMO. They know they f’d up, but they still can’t admit it.

Despite all of that, she still didn’t deserve to be gunned down in her own bedroom. Let’s not loose sight of what actually happened here.

Aren’t people innocent until proven guilty? Or does that only work for some of us. There’s not been a shred of evidence that links BT to drug dealing. If an ex-boyfriend did it, that’s probably one of the reasons why he’s an EX- boyfriend. By all accounts, BT was doing well, despite being in a less than ideal Environment.

Side note- some are now apparently guilty until they decide they’re innocent (Michael Flynn). Or guilty, until their sentence is commuted (Stone). the rule of law isn’t some amorphous concept. It’s one of the foundational elements upon which this country was built- and up to this point, it has clearly been applied differently to different citizens.

The pardons/commutations of Trump after the fact only serve to highlight the discrepancies. There are literally two separate, but very unequal, justice systems in this country. And it’s been that way for quite some time. Understand that, and you’ll begin to understand the ongoing protests across the country.
"There are literally two separate, but very unequal, justice systems in this country. And it’s been that way for quite some time. Understand that, and you’ll begin to understand the ongoing protests across the country."

Are you a lawyer? Handle a lot of court cases? A lot of confined dockets? Hear the dispositions while you’re sitting there for four hours?

Last edited:
One thing that never comes up in these conversations about trying to resolve these issues as a country is that some of the top voices in the BLM movement are STAUNCH segregationists! They absolutely have advocated strongly for separate territories or states dedicated for resettlement rather than work within the current system. This a real thing.
Many BLM leaders are asking for separate territory where they can resettle and set up their own government and law enforcement.

while this is absolutely the wrong idea, it would be an extremely interest social experiment to see if it would work?
Proponents of this strategy have indicated there would be nearly no crime, little need for law enforcement to police the community and a better environment.

of course the Klan hasbeen advocating for such a scenario for decades but now that some of BLM’s radical leadership is promoting it, I wonder what kind of success they would achieve when an entire state or territory is segregated?
it’s never worked but now you have minorities outright asking for it?
Can this racially motivated utopia be achieved?

One thing that never comes up in these conversations about trying to resolve these issues as a country is that some of the top voices in the BLM movement are STAUNCH segregationists! They absolutely have advocated strongly for separate territories or states dedicated for resettlement rather than work within the current system. This a real thing.
Many BLM leaders are asking for separate territory where they can resettle and set up their own government and law enforcement.

while this is absolutely the wrong idea, it would be an extremely interest social experiment to see if it would work?
Proponents of this strategy have indicated there would be nearly no crime, little need for law enforcement to police the community and a better environment.

of course the Klan hasbeen advocating for such a scenario for decades but now that some of BLM’s radical leadership is promoting it, I wonder what kind of success they would achieve when an entire state or territory is segregated?
it’s never worked but now you have minorities outright asking for it?
Can this racially motivated utopia be achieved?

Sometimes posters make it really easy to identify. Jus' sayin"...

I can’t speak to the world but I truly believe racism will nearly be a thing of the past in 20 years. Kids coming up in the US see things very differently imo. Better times are coming.

I think you are right, I think what we are witnessing today is the last gasp of a failed concept. But it won't completely go away, people will always need to blame someone that looks different for their own failings.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I think you are right, I think what we are witnessing today is the last gasp of a failed concept. But it won't completely go away, people will always need to blame someone that looks different for their own failings.
For sure. and that certainly won't fix the world but it's a start. in back to back articles i read about two latino kids doing their homework in a taco bell parking lot because they needed wifi; followed by man city contemplating a $600 million contract for messi

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT