ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Recruiting

Chris Beard has lost 13 games this season. That includes 9 losses in a conference far weaker (top to bottom) than the B1G and the last 4 to date. A few of those losses have been similar to the "choke jobs" some posters here consistently pin on Archie.

None of that means Chris Beard is a bad coach. He didn't begin to suck overnight. Quite the opposite, in fact. What happened this year is that Texas Tech has holes in its lineup. Just like IU.

Beard was loaded the last two years with experienced players, including multiple transfers who were all-conference type performers at their previous schools. They weren't freshmen and sophomores that he was magically transforming into great teams.

This Indiana team has one huge problem that is the difference between challenging for the conference championship and being two games below .500 - it has zero consistently good perimeter shooters. The other nonsense about "killer instinct" or substitution patterns or lack of player development is just that - nonsense.

There is sometimes a sense of urgency found in experienced teams with strong player leadership that this IU team sometimes lacks. But mostly those late-game fades or prolonged scoring droughts are the result of individual failure to execute on the offensive end. There is a lack of confidence brought about by a lack of demonstrated competence. That can change in only two ways. One, that the players already here become better scorers or two, that we are more successful at recruiting better scorers.

Archie and his staff bear the blame for the fact that we have not been able to find a strong shooter or two to add to this team the past two seasons. Failure to attract a player like that is squarely on the coach. In every other regard Archie Miller is as good as any coach in this conference and as good as most in the country.

If you want to fire the coach at this stage because you believe he will not be able to recruit or develop better offensive players, that's an argument you can reasonably make, I suppose. I happen to disagree. If you believe that Archie Miller is inherently an inferior coach who should be having greater success with the players who happen to be here now, in their current state of experience and development, then you either don't have a very deep understanding of basketball or you are irrational - or both.
Great post

I also might add that his biggest recruiting gaffe was prioritising Brooks over Trendan Watford. Little Wat was very interest in coming to Bloomington - until he was told by the staff in Sept 2018 that although they were still interested in him, they were focused on TJD and Brooks. Big recruiting mistake on Archie's part I'm sure he'd like to have back.

Last edited:
Chris Beard has lost 13 games this season. That includes 9 losses in a conference far weaker (top to bottom) than the B1G and the last 4 to date. A few of those losses have been similar to the "choke jobs" some posters here consistently pin on Archie.

None of that means Chris Beard is a bad coach. He didn't begin to suck overnight. Quite the opposite, in fact. What happened this year is that Texas Tech has holes in its lineup. Just like IU.

Beard was loaded the last two years with experienced players, including multiple transfers who were all-conference type performers at their previous schools. They weren't freshmen and sophomores that he was magically transforming into great teams.

This Indiana team has one huge problem that is the difference between challenging for the conference championship and being two games below .500 - it has zero consistently good perimeter shooters. The other nonsense about "killer instinct" or substitution patterns or lack of player development is just that - nonsense.

There is sometimes a sense of urgency found in experienced teams with strong player leadership that this IU team sometimes lacks. But mostly those late-game fades or prolonged scoring droughts are the result of individual failure to execute on the offensive end. There is a lack of confidence brought about by a lack of demonstrated competence. That can change in only two ways. One, that the players already here become better scorers or two, that we are more successful at recruiting better scorers.

Archie and his staff bear the blame for the fact that we have not been able to find a strong shooter or two to add to this team the past two seasons. Failure to attract a player like that is squarely on the coach. In every other regard Archie Miller is as good as any coach in this conference and as good as most in the country.

If you want to fire the coach at this stage because you believe he will not be able to recruit or develop better offensive players, that's an argument you can reasonably make, I suppose. I happen to disagree. If you believe that Archie Miller is inherently an inferior coach who should be having greater success with the players who happen to be here now, in their current state of experience and development, then you either don't have a very deep understanding of basketball or you are irrational - or both.

I'm not an Archie hater, and it is somewhat subjective, but I don't see how you can watch this team play and not think there's a problem with their communication or passion, or killer instinct or whatever term you want to use for moxy, smart play and effort. Some of it will take care of itself I believe from this roster gaining experience, but does IL have that much more experience than us (hint: I know the answer before I asked the question)?

I'm not an Archie hater, and it is somewhat subjective, but I don't see how you can watch this team play and not think there's a problem with their communication or passion, or killer instinct or whatever term you want to use for moxy, smart play and effort. Some of it will take care of itself I believe from this roster gaining experience, but does IL have that much more experience than us (hint: I know the answer before I asked the question)?

Well, I mean if you're hitting your perimeter shots and flexing for the camera, it gives the impression of a "killer instinct"

Yeah I'd trade Wisky's roster for UK's / Duke / & Kansas year in and out..
Their a possible sweet 16 team.
Or a game one loss..
Oh for heaven's sake. Nope. Garl would rather have those rosters. All coaches want to run their systems with the highest level athletes possible. But, he knows they won't come to Wisc cause no once wants to live there and no one is a fan except those in the state. So he has adapted to what he can get. That's good leadership. But to say that's the roster we want, NOPE!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT