ADVERTISEMENT

Wiltfong crystal ball picks in for IU for...

Coaches don't base offers on them
Well, Urban Meyer would be the exception, but hey I’m not still bitter or anything!*

*some of you who have been here awhile know exactly what I’m talking about**

** and yes actually I am

Last edited:
In all reality, college recruiting for most sports is a lot about the players marketing themselves now (typically through a paid recruiting service). Some players get “found” but many, especially in a sport like football without a robust club/aau system reach out to coaches with their own highlight tapes, or their HS coach makes calls on their behalf, or they go to camps at the colleges they are interested in.

Google “how to get recruited for college football” and you will see what I mean. It’s a gazillion $ industry with a lot of scholarship $$ at stake.

In my daughters AAA HS alone there are probably close to 20 kids with recruiting service memberships (golf, tennis, volleyball, track, you name it).

i've heard Rex Grossman and his dad showed up with a highlight tape at UF. (Spurrier at the time i think).

iirc ARE had just completed his 1st yr playing at IU, and i wonder if IU would have had a better chance at Rex III had he not been looking at ARE in front of him, being no one ever had a stronger IU legacy.

i've heard Rex Grossman and his dad showed up with a highlight tape at UF. (Spurrier at the time i think).

iirc ARE had just completed his 1st yr playing at IU, and i wonder if IU would have had a better chance at Rex III had he not been looking at ARE in front of him, being no one ever had a stronger IU legacy.
I doubt it. RG was a pretty entitled kid and wanted to play for a name football school for sure. There were enough stories about him in BT Im not sure how bad IU wanted him. Would have been Bill M. recruiting him who was not going to put up with any shenanigans out of a young hot shot whose wealthy Dad was always bailing him out.

I doubt it. RG was a pretty entitled kid and wanted to play for a name football school for sure. There were enough stories about him in BT Im not sure how bad IU wanted him. Would have been Bill M. recruiting him who was not going to put up with any shenanigans out of a young hot shot whose wealthy Dad was always bailing him out.

i believe it would have been Cam as head coach then.

as for Rex III's "shenanigans", while i know nothing of that, i question if Rex II would have put up with much of that.

i believe it would have been Cam as head coach then.

as for Rex III's "shenanigans", while i know nothing of that, i question if Rex II would have put up with much of that.
You’re right BM last season was ‘96 which was Rex’s soph year of HS. Don’t recall when he committed to SS but Cam probably made a play for him.

Also I had forgotten Rex almost won the Hiesman in 2000 (2nd highest vote getter).

Reactions: vesuvius13
Bill Mallory successfully recruited one of the most highly rated QB’s in Indiana HS history in Earl Haniford. Cam came in and signed ARE and Earl never saw the field except to hold PAT’s. Why on earth would Rex have even slightly considered IU at that time, when Cam clearly wanted a run/pass QB, and not a pocket passer? Ludicrous to think it had to do with anything other than Rex wasn’t a good fit for Cam’s offense. Rex was never in trouble off the field at BHSS or UF as well. He was a model citizen by all accounts.

Bill Mallory successfully recruited one of the most highly rated QB’s in Indiana HS history in Earl Haniford. Cam came in and signed ARE and Earl never saw the field except to hold PAT’s. Why on earth would Rex have even slightly considered IU at that time, when Cam clearly wanted a run/pass QB, and not a pocket passer? Ludicrous to think it had to do with anything other than Rex wasn’t a good fit for Cam’s offense. Rex was never in trouble off the field at BHSS or UF as well. He was a model citizen by all accounts.
So it’s ludicrous that a 17 year old would pick Florida over IU in the late 90’s for any reason other than playing style? We will agree to disagree but good to hear you think highly of him.

So it’s ludicrous that a 17 year old would pick Florida over IU in the late 90’s for any reason other than playing style? We will agree to disagree but good to hear you think highly of him.
So you think Cam would’ve changed his entire offensive philosophy just to get a shot at recruiting Rex? You also think that Rex gets a shot to play for Spurrier and he chooses IU and Cam Instead? What’s your angle here?

So you think Cam would’ve changed his entire offensive philosophy just to get a shot at recruiting Rex? You also think that Rex gets a shot to play for Spurrier and he chooses IU and Cam Instead? What’s your angle here?
No angle just making casual conversation based on (probably faulty) impressions I had from way back then. everyone in the eye business knew about the Grossmans - his dad was Dan btw not Rex II, so we talked about it some.

It’s honestly not a big deal I’m sure he was offered and etc and it just wasn’t a good fit. Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers or suggest anything “ludicrous”. No offense intended. I never heard any serious allegations they just seemed like the type to walk into SS office with a VHS tape vs go to the local obvious university that’s all. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Well, Urban Meyer would be the exception, but hey I’m not still bitter or anything!*

*some of you who have been here awhile know exactly what I’m talking about**

** and yes actually I am

well i've been here awhile, and i have no idea.

enquiring minds want to know.

well i've been here awhile, and i have no idea.

enquiring minds want to know.
Haha, didn’t mean to be cryptic…back when Terry Hoeppner was desperately trying to build the program he scored a huge win with a verbal from Jeremy Finch, the number one rated safety on Rivals. This was viewed at the time as a near miraculous turn of events! Literally on signing day or the day before, Finch flipped and signed with UM at Florida. TH looked like he was fighting back tears on NSD.

The story that went around and has never been denied was that Meyer found himself with a scholly in his pocket days before NSD and went shopping on Rivals, found a number one rated kid who was verballed to lowly IN, swooped in for the kill sight unseen, and just like that IU and Hoeppner lost the biggest recruit in modern times.

It’s just a piece of the ongoing lore of tragedy that we are finally witnessing come to an end!

Last edited:
Yes - knew that he was here for a semester. .
Just surprised that when he left IU that he didn’t transfer to a D-1 school if was about dissatisfaction with IU. He went to a JUCO.

I guess the question was:

Why did he not transfer directly to an FBS school in a P5 conference?
I guess I assumed if he could have he would have. As CKW used to say “There’s a reason these guys go to JUCO!”

Cam's obsession with a running QB is no doubt why Cam tried to move ARE to receiver and go with a passing QB.

so, so much for that theory.

while i know nothing of how hard Cam tried to recruit Rex, i have a hard time believing he didn't want him, as Rex was a superior talent.. (enough that Spurrier wanted him).

as for whether Rex had any desire to play for IU, i also have zero idea on that.

that said, not only did Rex III grow up in Btown, but we are talking about as strong a legacy as there ever was.

glad it worked out great for Rex, but sorry i didn't get to see him play for IU.

Last edited:
Finch!! Wow!! There is a name I haven’t heard or thought of in years. Believe he verballed to UM, the changed to IU and signed with Florida.

Played some as a freshman for the Gators, got hurt, transferred to IU. Was allowed to play without sitting out a year and didn’t do much in his year and a half at IU. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Finch!! Wow!! There is a name I haven’t heard or thought of in years. Believe he verballed to UM, the changed to IU and signed with Florida.

Played some as a freshman for the Gators, got hurt, transferred to IU. Was allowed to play without sitting out a year and didn’t do much in his year and a half at IU. Wonder what ever happened to him?
I remember him transferring from IU to Marian in Indy.

Finch had immediate eligibility at Indiana. He blocked two punts, but that was about it. Apparently, he didn't like to hit.

Was arrested in 2014 on felony burglary charges robbing a liquor store on Emerson Ave.

• Sad
Reactions: 76-1
Finch had immediate eligibility at Indiana. He blocked two punts, but that was about it. Apparently, he didn't like to hit.
Yeah, in his short time at FL they had him at LB and he had an interception vs Tennessee.

IIRC he was starting to get PT as a true frosh at FL then broke his leg. At IU he wasn’t seeing much PT outside of ST.

Fans often wondered how he could play at FL but not at IU (especially with how bad our D was at the time), and the thought was he never fully recovered psychologically from his injury.

Last edited:
As I understand it Fla told him he wasn't good enough to play safety and switched him to LB. He considered himself to be a future pro at safety and transferred to IU b/c we told him he could be a safety for us. Turns out Florida was right, he was a poor to middlin' safety and we told him so ... so he transferred again.

Didn't make the league -- robbed a liquor store ... life goes on.

Rex never considered playing for IU. His family has major egos. They went to Florida preparing to see all the big schools. Turns out they didn’t have to go anywhere else. Spurrier liked what he saw and it didn’t hurt they had a donation ready.

Reactions: UncleMark
Rex never considered playing for IU. His family has major egos. They went to Florida preparing to see all the big schools. Turns out they didn’t have to go anywhere else. Spurrier liked what he saw and it didn’t hurt they had a donation ready.

i'll take your word for it that he never considered IU, as i know nothing of that.

my curiosity then is "why" he never considered them, and if ARE being here had anything to do with it.

i also have zero idea what dad's relationship with IU or Cam was at the time.

not your everyday legacy, plus he did grow up and live in Btown, so it would seem a bit strange to not consider IU at all.

that said, some want to get away.

ADVERTISEMENT