ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson deserves more time for the fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscoe

Junior
Mar 5, 2007
We beat Mizzou at their place w Sudfeld healthy. No doubt the defense has improved and w the young LBS and Safeties we have a shot to be top half of the conference in defense. Losing BRich will be a huge loss, I think he will play on Sundays, I still think we have depth on the Dline to stay big and athletic up front. Interesting to see how well the corners play taking Bennett out of the picture, he's played big time for us.

This post was edited on 11/30 7:33 PM by rosscoe

He should get a pass for some of the thongs that happened such as injuries and depth-killing transfers. But I think he still needs to win next season especially if healthy.

I agree he should not be fired. He made the right call last off season in changing D-Cor and the defense did improve a ton. But I will say this, unless the injury bug really bites again next season like it did this year, then I think its bowl game or he gets fired. The 2 big recruiting classes he had will all be seniors and juniors next year and if we add some JUCO recruits to this team, then there should be no excuses why we don't at least just make a bowl game

Hunter will be gone too. Opting out of fourth year of eligibility

I don't disagree but...

one could also argue that Wilson does NOT deserve more time for the fact that he lost to a 7-5 MAC school with a healthy Sudfeld.

Again, I agree, give him one more year but just sayin...

Re: I don't disagree but...

The BG loss was largely on the defense that has improved quite a bit since that game. Really, the loss was primarily due to Knorr not understanding the what he had with the current players. Which has been corrected. Play BG again now, and we beat them 7 out of 10 times even with Diamont.

One big thing that everyone was looking for was a team that improved as the season went on and it generally did with the exception of the setback at QB. But even then, Diamont made major strides as the season went along

I think he gets his full 7 years

I think he will get his full 7 years with an extension on the horizon. True, they have not satisfied the IU fans expectations but they have been a better team than their record indicates. I think the D improved a lot this year. Cut down on the "big play" and their D is pretty respectable.

1. Recruiting is better during his tenure
2. Offense is consistant
3. Changed DC and shows improvement
4. Has learned a lot about being a head coach since his first year.
5. Keeping a coach longer than 4 years is a good thing for a program ... hard to do.
6. There is some stability inside the program ... a change in coaching and it's back to starting over.
7. VaTech as an example.

I watched the Apple Cup game, Washington at Wazzu. After going to a bowl last year, Wazzu was 3-8 before the game started. This is Leach's 3rd year. Their football history is very similar to IU's and even with improved facilities they have a smaller stadium, terrible location and in the Pac12. I've been watching to see what a coach like Leach could do at a school similar to IU.

I believe Wilson will finish with a strong recruiting class this year. Some lineup weaknesses will be filled. It will be Knorr's 2nd year in the job as DC, and 2nd year for the OC.

IU wins next year and goes bowling.

This post was edited on 12/1 9:56 AM by iubhounds

Every team has setbacks, every year....

if we don't win 5 games , not 6 or 7, but 5, we need another direction.......the facitlities have helped us more than anything else.

Recruiting suicide....

you'd have to fire him or extend him after the 5th year, imho

Re: Recruiting suicide....

For recruiting I am surprised he hasn't been extended now. He mentioned in Saturday's interview that opposing coaches will cut and past all the negativity of the program and send recruits. I have NOT heard him ever ask or publicly speak of a contract extension was needed.

I agree about the extension after the 5th year. I still think even if next year is the same as this year record wise, that he will be staying the full seven years.

Even Jerry Kill said the other day to ESPN that when he came to Minnesota he told them it would take 7 years for him to build his program.

How can you compare OSU to IU?

I can't understand how someone can compare OSU's injury situation to IU's injury situation. Sure every team has injuries. Depth is the key....OSU is ALWAYS loaded with players while IU is still in the process of building depth.

OSU gets better because they have better athletes sitting on the bench, and in some cases better than starting players for IU.

No way in my opinion can you compare the injury situations of OSU and IU.

I take it you won't be posting any congratualatory note

to CKW and the team for winning the bucket?

Re: 5 Wins

That's a good point and a good number of wins as a gauge. I might have to change my previous prediction a little and go with the 5 win season as a cut off point. Looking at the schedule, 5 games looks possible as well as 6-7. Yet this team has to LEARN how to win 7 games and the only way to do that is to win 7 ... but I mean, do they do what other teams do that win 7 games consistently, such as the turnovers, defensive 3 and outs, convert 3rd downs consistently and better coaching decisions.

You are correct about the facilities ... that took a lot of the past excuses away for success.

If you look back at some situations this year.

dropped passes played a huge part in some losses........we need to upgrade our receivers, I think we need to get a couple of JC guys with size and strength. Wonder where Covington will end up,,,,I hope LB.

Re: How can you compare OSU to IU?

Nope you can't, hard to compare with anyones, too many dynamics along with it.

Re: True

I haven't researched it today but I remember that most of his staff has followed with each coaching change.

Re: If you look back at some situations this year.

I think Covington goes back to LB. They had a JC WR visit this weekend plus Wilson stated in his interview as you probably already know ... he mentioned getting help from the JCs this year. The receivers actually surprised me this year and not in a good way. I was expecting a better performance than what they showed ... but they are freshmen ... still they could have made catches in the open. I would like to see this JC QB decide IU is the place. I'd also like to see at least one good JC DE.

Re: True

Yep, a majority of them, at least the most important to him.

Re: If you look back at some situations this year.

I don't like the receiver situation......such poor techique this year, our guys looked afraid to catch it sometimes, we practically never used the TE.......and that's coaching.

And gee Markie,,,I didn't see your congrats either,,,,

I suppose you told him in person too.......LOL

This post was edited on 12/1 11:11 AM by Cougar1

Actually I sent him an email

Sorry couldn't make the game tiger, as I was spending Saturday with my 87 year old grandfather who had a heart attack.

Did you tell him that you are Cougar1 and that you wanted him fired

for 3 out of the past 4 years?

You and I both know he and the staff read the boards.

Re: Did you tell him that you are Cougar1 and that you wanted him fired

Good job Townsend.......LOL

I'm guessing Coach didn't care one way or the other....

this was what was important

10403669_820837204639888_7137149045292977032_n.jpg

Re: Good thing I didn't get in your head........

LOL lurker .......I understand why you wouldn't post this season.....when you know nothing about the game, just do something else, sell old programs or something........

This post was edited on 12/2 8:18 AM by Cougar1

So after which practice you went to/were invited to did you

tell Coach Wilson that you were Cougar1 and was leading the free board charge to have him fired? You wouldn't be the type of guy that gets an invite to a closed practice, pretend to be all nice nice, and then jump on a message board wearing your super hero sock puppet garb and tell everyone that he should get fired and that he is an "arrogant dumbass"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT