ADVERTISEMENT

Will you music snobs go see this movie?

Beatles would not be a commercial success today, mostly because they’re boring af.
hottakes.jpg

Reactions: IU40IU
Beatles would not be a commercial success today, mostly because they’re boring af.
All I remember about the Beatles is laughing at my sister crying when they broke up. I always imagined their popularity was initially due to girls liking them the way later generations liked the boy bands. They weren't the first of their type, but they marketed their personalities with their music.

It would be hard to say if they would be successful today in a category they largely created 55+ years ago. Without the Beatles there would not have been the Monkees. What a tragedy that would have been!

To separate The Beatles the band from their songs, a better question might be...would Yesterday, Let it Be, Hey Jude, or any other Beatles song in that trailer gain any traction if an artist wrote it today? That's really the movie's premise. A modern artist writing the songs in the present day.

BTW, we can see the end of this film coming miles away. It'll turn out that the dude was in a coma (he hit his head, right?) and dreamed the whole thing. He'll wake up and realize that fame and fortune isn't what he really wants and he'll be content with his cute girlfriend.

Yes they were ...
I was thinking of The Dave Clark Five and other bands that had success around and even before the Beatles in the UK. The Beatles were definitely the first British band to have major success in the US and opened the doors to those bands and those that formed based on their success..

read an article a long time ago about the bands Epstein managed and George Martin recorded in the early 60's.

Yesterday, Let it Be, Hey Jude, or any other Beatles song in that trailer gain any traction if an artist wrote it today?

Yea, especially the early pop stuff. Those same hooks have been used since the Brill Building and Tin Pan Alley and musical idiots eat it up. Just add a back beat.

The Beatles are three different bands, the early one before fame which was closer to a Rolling Stones like rock and roll cover band. Then the studio created boy band pop group (which was kind of a joke) geared to make 13 year old girls wet and then into the post Rubber Soul band where they became actual creative artists.

I prefer versions one and three .. version two was... ugh.... horrible. Unless of course you were a 13 year old girl in 63.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Yea, especially the early pop stuff. Those same hooks have been used since the Brill Building and Tin Pan Alley and musical idiots eat it up. Just add a back beat.

The Beatles are three different bands, the early one before fame which was closer to a Rolling Stones like rock and roll cover band. Then the studio created boy band pop group (which was kind of a joke) geared to make 13 year old girls wet and then into the post Rubber Soul band where they became actual creative artists.

I prefer versions one and three .. version two was... ugh.... horrible. Unless of course you were a 13 year old girl in 63.

I’d agree with that, except I’ll have to ask that you draw the line on the other side of Rubber Soul. That’s a fantastic album.

We had to have Beatles version two in order to get to three.

was more a Beach Boys fan at the time, but don't underestimate the "fab four" British invasion era of The Beatles just because it's pop.

there might not be any other band that has as many really good songs that i like, but i don't just love any of them like i do some things from other artists who came after, who had moments of greatness, but no where near the entire collection of work The Beatles did.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
Commercial got nuthin to do with it.

sad how melodic lead guitar has vanished today. (thanks U2 bwg).

seems like so much of the stuff i like best is when everybody else lets the lead guitarist go off when playing live.

Page in Stairway at MSG,

Gilmore in Numb,

Campbell in Runnin Down A Dream, (the guitar solo IS the song).

Knopfler in Brothers In Arms, Sultans, Tunnel Of Love,

and Prince shines in that video above.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT