ADVERTISEMENT

Will the weather affect recruiting?

IUgradman

All-American
Mar 31, 2009
Bloomington was hit by a torrential downpour last night that flooded Kirkwood and caused thousands of power outages. Not a good look for all of the recruits in town. Were they staying at the Graduate hotel? If so, they got an up close view of a river. Hopefully it doesn’t sour them on IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I wondered the same thing myself. I was on the same flight yesterday as DL Sledge from LA. His Mom said that they were at Purdue last weekend and that he really liked it. He's a 5.4, and is visiting Baylor next weekend before deciding on July 2nd.

Bloomington was hit by a torrential downpour last night that flooded Kirkwood and caused thousands of power outages. Not a good look for all of the recruits in town. Were they staying at the Graduate hotel? If so, they got an up close view of a river. Hopefully it doesn’t sour them on IU.

Seems to have had a negative impact...

Life threatening flooding, forcing you to shelter in place, will usually leave a negative impression (unless you had to take shelter at a sorority house 😉)...

I'm guessing the staff was hoping to pick up at least 4 plus commits from that group and, so far, we only picked up 2... Bad Break... 😞

Last edited:
This won’t, but weather will always be a recruiting challenge (just like every other school in the north). Hard to convince a kid to play half the season in 30s and 40s weather when they can play in 70s.

Anyone we were going to get in the first place isn’t going to be swayed by rain.

Mullen is from Florida. He’s seen storms before and he’s pretty much a lock.
It's officially hurricane season in the south as many here know. Already had a little gift here in the central coast over the weekend. A little rain isn't life threatening. I'm guessing "no biggie." Now if we sent them to a shelter then maybe. Go Hoosiers!

This won’t, but weather will always be a recruiting challenge (just like every other school in the north). Hard to convince a kid to play half the season in 30s and 40s weather when they can play in 70s.

The average temp in Bloomington for November for the low is 35 and the high is 54.

In Oct, the average low is 45 and high is 66.

They're not playing half the year in 30 and 40 degree temps when the season starts at the beginning of September.

horrible look! lol

Seems to have had a negative impact...

Life threatening flooding, forcing you to shelter in place, will usually leave a negative impression (unless you had to take shelter at a sorority house 😉)...

I'm guessing the staff was hoping to pick up at least 4 plus commits from that group and, so far, we only picked up 2... Bad Break... 😞
Never fear, this staff has overcome much higher obstacles than a storm with flooding, recruiting is just fine, patience my friend ! I think everyone will be happy at the end of the day.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Waitint for your list of "all these people"

Never fear, this staff has overcome much higher obstacles than a storm with flooding, recruiting is just fine, patience my friend ! I think everyone will be happy at the end of the day.
There's always a positive side to everything... I guess the recruits reaction to stressful situations was slightly tested so I suppose not getting a guy who let a little rough weather shake him might be a blessing in the long run...

In J.R. I trust (when it comes to "inside" info...) I'm looking forward to the good news...😎🇺🇸🍺

Last edited:
You've been around long enough to know IU rarely plays games with temps in the 30s and even temps in the 40s are limited.

You counter that by saying in the NFL they won’t be playing in balmy weather all the time. Better to get used to it in college.

The average temp in Bloomington for November for the low is 35 and the high is 54.

In Oct, the average low is 45 and high is 66.

They're not playing half the year in 30 and 40 degree temps when the season starts at the beginning of September.
It’s not just games. It’s spring ball. It’s training in the winter. It’s walking to classes in January.

Then there’s the fact that southern states have more top level recruits.

The hill isn’t unclimbable but it’s definitely an uphill climb.

It’s not just games. It’s spring ball. It’s training in the winter. It’s walking to classes in January.

Yeah..., that must explain why Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State have struggled so mightily all these years... (not to mention Iowa State and MN's recent success, along with WI & Iowa's sustained success...).🙄

Last edited:
Yeah..., that must explain why Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State have struggled so mightily all these years... (not to mention Iowa State and MN's recent success, along with WI & Iowa's sustained success...).🙄
Take OSU out and how many titles do the rest combine for in the last 20 years? You listed OSU followed by a bunch of B and C level programs these days. I never said it can’t be done, just that it’s harder.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Take OSU out and how many titles do the rest combine for in the last 20 years? You listed OSU followed by a bunch of B and C level programs these days. I never said it can’t be done, just that it’s harder.
You working on excuses for the demise of your hero Brohmardi? Reads like it...😂🤣😂

I’d hope our athletes are moderately healthy enough to make it up the hill.

We have the most Florida kids of any big 10 school on our roster.

The weather isn't a problem in recruiting.

Still think Brohm will be better then Allen?

We have the most Florida kids of any big 10 school on our roster.

The weather isn't a problem in recruiting.

Still think Brohm will be better then Allen?
Key part being “of any big 10 school”. Aka all northern schools.

Look, 11 of the last 15 national titles have come from the SEC. Then Clemson has 2 and Florida St 1. The only northern team to win it is OSU when they went on that miracle run. This isn’t a coincidence, nor is it rocket science.

You working on excuses for the demise of your hero Brohmardi? Reads like it...😂🤣😂
I was dead wrong on Allen. I don’t think I was wrong on Brohm. He’s going to be great too. And no I wouldn’t trade Allen for Brohm any more.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Key part being “of any big 10 school”. Aka all northern schools.

Look, 11 of the last 15 national titles have come from the SEC. Then Clemson has 2 and Florida St 1. The only northern team to win it is OSU when they went on that miracle run. This isn’t a coincidence, nor is it rocket science.

Well, no kidding the south has more kids that play football year round. The more practice you get, the better you are.

By the way, average temp for spring ball, which is generally in April is in mid 60s and low of mid 40s.

You don't follow our football recruiting very well. We go after a good majority of our kids from the southern states. Yes, we recruit from Indiana and the surrounding states as well, but since CTA has gotten here, he has made it a point that we're going to recruit Florida, Georgia and the rest of SEC country and he's done it really well.

I wouldn't expect you to be objective here since you once claimed that Tom Allen would be the worst football hire of the century.
Allen was handled our best program in decades. Brohm was handed a dumpster fire.

Allen will go down as the worst power 5 hire this century.

Well, no kidding the south has more kids that play football year round. The more practice you get, the better you are.

By the way, average temp for spring ball, which is generally in April is in mid 60s and low of mid 40s.

You don't follow our football recruiting very well. We go after a good majority of our kids from the southern states. Yes, we recruit from Indiana and the surrounding states as well, but since CTA has gotten here, he has made it a point that we're going to recruit Florida, Georgia and the rest of SEC country and he's done it really well.

I wouldn't expect you to be objective here since you once claimed that Tom Allen would be the worst football hire of the century.
Your bias is clouding your reasoning. Of course we recruit Florida, every school does. CTA has done a great job there. I’ve never said it’s impossible, just tougher.

It’s absurd to claim there aren’t any built in advantages of a college football program being located in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc compared to Indiana, Minnesota, or Michigan.

Your bias is clouding your reasoning. Of course we recruit Florida, every school does. CTA has done a great job there. I’ve never said it’s impossible, just tougher.

It’s absurd to claim there aren’t any built in advantages of a college football program being located in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc compared to Indiana, Minnesota, or Michigan.

The next positive thing you say about indiana football will be your first.

Reactions: 76-1
I literally said something positive in the post you replied to. You’re so dramatic and emotional.

Remember Tom Allen would be the worst hire of any power 5 coach this century according to you?

Or our season when we we went 8-5. You kept spouting we hadn't beaten anyone good so it didn't matter.

You're always negative. The first sign of trouble, you'll turn.

Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
ADVERTISEMENT