ADVERTISEMENT

Will the NCAA go as far as to cancel the tournament?

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Or, if they did decide to go forward with it, would you be ok with them restricting it to, say, only involve the conference champions?

Or, if they did decide to go forward with it, would you be ok with them restricting it to, say, only involve the conference champions?

We may have played our last game of the season tonight. They may not even continue with the conference tourneys. If Hoiberg has the coronavirus, no way this tourney continues. He’s at the hospital now.

I’d say that the NCAA is cancelled.

Reactions: IUgradman

I think best case, it is played without spectators. But if any team official, coach, or player test positive, I think it will all be shut down. I don't think they would do a smaller bracket or abridged tournament in that case.

I think they should play all games without fans. Change venues to smaller ones. No domes no reason. Go to Hinkle. I cannot believe I was just at the last NCAA fan attended basketball game for this season. Very sad. I couldn't even get a deal on B1G tournament t-shirt or hat.

Reactions: ams66
I think best case, it is played without spectators. But if any team official, coach, or player test positive, I think it will all be shut down. I don't think they would do a smaller bracket or abridged tournament in that case.
Oh, I have no doubt that it would be cancelled if there was a positive test. I was just thinking hypothetically if we make it through the conference tournaments with no problem, as an attempt to lessen the number of people that could be exposed, it would be only the conference champions playing in the tournament.

Reactions: hometownfan
The more i read the more it sounds inevitable at this point. Probably will happen tomorrow. Could it be rescheduled in a month? No idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel it but I don't think they will. They've already shown that they're willing to run it without fans in the stands so right there they're already greatly reducing the number of potential exposures. And, unlike the NBA, they don't have to pay players for every game played. On top of that, the players definitely fall in to the young and healthy category so their risk is very low. I guess some coaches, officials, tv crews, etc are kind of old though and would be at greater risk if exposed.

I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.

Reactions: hometownfan
Remember, the Golden Goose for the NCAA is the TV rights money it receives from CBS for Broadcast rights. If the Tournament is fully canceled, they forego that Revenue. I don't think they will cancel the whole Tournament and lose the Revenue.
The problem is if they play the Tournament without crowds, they look like hypocrites. They give the appearance that they are concerned about Public Health, but they don't seem to have the same concern about Players, Coaches, Training Staffs, Officials, and Broadcast Members.

Youth sports tournaments and are still taking place across the country this weekend. Not sure why they can play those events, but not have two college teams play in an almost empty gym.

ADVERTISEMENT