ADVERTISEMENT

Will Romeo be a lottery pick?

Dealing with money and bills or about dealing with teammates who are 10 years older than you. When you are on the road and the rest can go out on the town you will have to stay by yourself since you are not old enough. Are they able to handle of the hanger ons that think you owe them because they have been your friend since childhood. The other day I heard an interview with Danny Manning on one and done players and he said some of the same things about kids leaving early and things that could go wrong.

Yes, they've lost 6 in a row and look like a middle school team sometimes. I don't see NBA level play out there by anyone. And why talk about it? Personally, it seems to me even more embarrassing to lose like that to Purdue and then try to say "oh, yeah, but our players are NBA talent"!
but there are many threads dedicated to that topic. does every single thread have to?

Dealing with money and bills or about dealing with teammates who are 10 years older than you. When you are on the road and the rest can go out on the town you will have to stay by yourself since you are not old enough. Are they able to handle of the hanger ons that think you owe them because they have been your friend since childhood. The other day I heard an interview with Danny Manning on one and done players and he said some of the same things about kids leaving early and things that could go wrong.
Most of the NBA teams take a flight out to their next destination from where they play a few hours or less after the game. There isn't as much of a nightlife on the road as one would think.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see Langford's game being NBA ready at this time. At this level he can drive the ball to the basket, but will he be able to do at the next level against stronger players and taller shot blockers who can knock his shot into the middle of next week? He doesn't have an effective outside shot, is an inconsistent passer and ball handler, and he is questionable on defense. He does rebound effectively for his size. The other problem is that he doesn't have an obvious court position. He is definitely not a point guard, and he isn't an effective shooting guard at this point.

With that being said, the NBA has shown over the years that it prefers to pay players with high upside potential as opposed to a 4 year college player who could play effectively right away. If he is projected to be a high draft pick, and the money is there, it would be very difficult to pass up.

Looking at his stats, don’t see he is any better than Rutgers Cory Sanders. Left early (after junior year) played one G league game and is now playing in Serbia.

In college they are in a way more structure life than they would be on their own in a strange city.

I think you could create more structure in life at 19 with a Million dollar plus income each year than being in college. Plenty of 21+ year olds make mistakes. Right now the NFL has a long list of those players.

Look at all the euros coming to the NBA. They start as pros when they are high school age. Jokic and Porzingus are examples at 17. Luka at 14. It's almost 2020. Times are changing if not already changed. The NBA is making plans for basketball development programs that will likely include NBA culture training. IMO, there is no better development organization in basketball anywhere than the San Antonio spurs.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I think you could create more structure in life at 19 with a Million dollar plus income each year than being in college. Plenty of 21+ year olds make mistakes. Right now the NFL has a long list of those players.

Look at all the euros coming to the NBA. They start as pros when they are high school age. Jokic and Porzingus are examples at 17. Luka at 14. It's almost 2020. Times are changing if not already changed. The NBA is making plans for basketball development programs that will likely include NBA culture training. IMO, there is no better development organization in basketball anywhere than the San Antonio spurs.

You are hoping for the end of college basketball then?

What I think college basketball should do is have league teams play more summer ball in international competition. They already do it but not as a regular "Big Ten Allstars" for example. It would bring some honor to juniors and seniors who can mop the floor with 18 year old "pro" players and give a little incentive to some of the kids thinking about staying in school longer. Let the coaches rotate.

The idea that basketball players are brainless morons who should skip school so they can play pro hoops for 6 years of their life is absurd. I don't really care to see the same NBA players playing 16-18 seasons anyhow.

How about the looooooong list of college players with DUI, drug charges, sexual assault cases. I don't see one or the other situation being more "protective".
In college they are in a way more structure life than they would be on their own in a strange city.

How about the looooooong list of college players with DUI, drug charges, sexual assault cases. I don't see one or the other situation being more "protective". They are dropped off at college, told they are Gods.... IMO the NBA is no worse for these kids than college

Comments like this is what is really hurting this fan base because you need to stop the personal attacks on the players. Saw the tweet from TJD shooting down tweets that he was looking to decommit and totally denied this. Most of this came from so called IU fans who thinks that downgrading everything about the program will help.
Meh...Idk, this is an honest opinion, not an attack, imo. & there's a HUGE difference. Not to mention, if you want to criticize a post in which a fan personally attacks a player, there are HUNDREDS of examples in here. This is a poor one(example).

Maybe it’s the pathetic offense we run ever think of that.
No, because it's irrelevant to the point. Romeo is a 2nd-3rd team all conference caliber of player, Barret & Williamson are 1st team All-Americans. Period. No matter what offense anyone is running, they are light years ahead of Romeo, in pretty much every way. & it's a shame, because he's had a good Freshman season, flashing big time potential, but he is experiencing the downside to all the super hype he received out of H.S., it puts one in an extremely difficult situation, in which anything less than superstardom is an underachievement, & a disappointing season.

No, because it's irrelevant to the point. Romeo is a 2nd-3rd team all conference caliber of player, Barret & Williamson are 1st team All-Americans. Period. No matter what offense anyone is running, they are light years ahead of Romeo, in pretty much every way. & it's a shame, because he's had a good Freshman season, flashing big time potential, but he is experiencing the downside to all the super hype he received out of H.S., it puts one in an extremely difficult situation, in which anything less than superstardom is an underachievement, & a disappointing season.
Excellent post, like I said earlier, he's had a good Frosh year, 25 yrs ago fans would look forward to the Frosh to Soph year improvement that usually happens, Romeo isn't a Zion or Barrett, however, money is too great for him to return for another season, he'll be gone. Just think, Patrick Ewing and Ralph Sampson played all 4 years, Jordan, Barkley, Worthy, 3 years, nowadays, they all most likely would be one and dones.

You are hoping for the end of college basketball then?

What I think college basketball should do is have league teams play more summer ball in international competition. They already do it but not as a regular "Big Ten Allstars" for example. It would bring some honor to juniors and seniors who can mop the floor with 18 year old "pro" players and give a little incentive to some of the kids thinking about staying in school longer. Let the coaches rotate.

The idea that basketball players are brainless morons who should skip school so they can play pro hoops for 6 years of their life is absurd. I don't really care to see the same NBA players playing 16-18 seasons anyhow.

So is that how you view people who do not go to college. Brainless morons. Nah. It's about having more options not forcing them to go here or there. I do not think college basketball would suffer. Most US kids are not going to skip college to play pro basketball.

Well, I've enjoyed watching Dirk for the past 20 years. Love seeing him get accolades from all fans as he travels around the NBA. I doubt they (Europe) have basketball programs like US high school and colleges unless they go pro. They (NBA)are only taking the best euros in the draft.

Who cares. He is Noah Vonleh. I thought an instate kid would have pride and bust his ass for the state school but that isn’t happening.

He will be only because of hype. He’s not that much of a game changer and he’s all about him getting his. Him leaving is addition by subtraction

He will be only because of hype. He’s not that much of a game changer and he’s all about
him getting his. Him leaving is addition by subtraction

For all the hype and excitement we gave this kid last year talk about all for not. I suggest none of us ever get caught up in a recruit like this again. For whatever reason the NBA loves him but i am not really that impressed with him.

ADVERTISEMENT