ADVERTISEMENT

Will Painter get the big one today?

Who has recruited more 5 stars in the last two years than Purdue and iu combined over the last 5 I think. Their coach might not be a great coach, but he can recruit. Got harrison's friend and that was the difference maker. It happens.

Name the 5 stars at IU and purdue the last 5 years. TIA

Nope- Romeo and Lander for IU. Stanford has Zaire and Ingram. pu has... noone.
Swanigan was 2015. Couldn't remember the exact year. Anywho. Point remains. I don't look for 5 stars as much as I do fit. That's what's more important imo

Never once heard any of my fellow IU alums complain about it. It’s a rivalry and, in the grand scheme, harmless. The whining and panic among some over it is really much ado about nothing. Do like your huge new video board, though.

The football renovations will be legit when completed. Well over $100 million.

Swanigan was 2015. Couldn't remember the exact year. Anywho. Point remains. I don't look for 5 stars as much as I do fit. That's what's more important imo

Yeah, I‘ve never been too big on the whole “star” thing. It’s not that it doesn’t matter - I mean, nobody could argue that Calipari hasn’t been extraordinarily successful with his OAD strategy.

But it’s not the end-all, be-all. Villanova has won 2 recent NCs without rosters chock-full of 5-stars.

Ultimately, it all comes down to Ws and Ls. Is recruiting highly talented players a key ingredient of that? Of course it is. Is recruiting blue chippers an end unto itself? No.

Yeah, I‘ve never been too big on the whole “star” thing. It’s not that it doesn’t matter - I mean, nobody could argue that Calipari hasn’t been extraordinarily successful with his OAD strategy.

But it’s not the end-all, be-all. Villanova has won 2 recent NCs without rosters chock-full of 5-stars.

Ultimately, it all comes down to Ws and Ls. Is recruiting highly talented players a key ingredient of that? Of course it is. Is recruiting blue chippers an end unto itself? No.
Agreed The key is to get those top 40 or 50 guys that are also fits. Then you are going to be a dangerous team. Hard to have both though.

The football renovations will be legit when completed. Well over $100 million.

Hopefully that gets PU caught up, but I don't think it is enough given how badly and widely the renovations were needed. Are they finally going to do something about the field? How about the tailgate areas?

Define "extraordinarily successful".

He has more wins than most, but would you want IU to be a program that is set up this way? Outsourced to off-campus mercenaries, with little connection to the "university" other than laundry?

The most common question during Hoops season in KY (besides "are second cousins ok"?) is "can some-body read da roster ta me"?

He has more wins than most, but would you want IU to be a program that is set up this way? Outsourced to off-campus mercenaries, with little connection to the "university" other than laundry?

That's two really different questions, innit?

On the first question, there isn't a definition of "extraordinarily successful" that Calipari's record at Kentucky doesn't satisfy. He's been there for 11 seasons now, 10 of which they could play in a postseason tournament. In that span:

- .811 Overall winning percentage.
- .786 Conference winning percentage
- 3 Seasons with 3 losses or fewer
- 6 Conference finishes of 1st or T1
- 4 Conference finishes of 2nd or T2
- 9 NCAA Tournament Bids
- 8 Sweet Sixteens
- 7 Elite Eights
- 4 Final Fours
- 1 National Championship

I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best 11-year runs in college basketball history. Not quite Wooden level, but certainly in rare territory. Maybe the worst thing you can say about it is that he only walked home with the hardware once in 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours. But, still, 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours....in 10 eligible years?

On the second question, I would just say "not necessarily." Being in southern Indiana, I know a gob of UK fans. The vast majority of them are thrilled with what their program is. I know a couple that complain about Calipari, but mostly that he hasn't done more with all the talent he's gotten to Lexington. They have no issue with the revolving door roster, so long as the wins and championships keep coming in.

Now, does that strike me as a bit...hollow? Well, sure. I like to get to watch our players develop for more than 1 or 2 seasons. I'm not sure I'd like to feel like our basketball program was set up like a quick turnaround assembly line.

But, to paraphrase a certain real estate tycoon turned populist politician with bad hair, I don't think I'd get tired of all the winning.

So...I'm perfectly fine not being that kind of program. But I would say that whatever we've been doing hasn't exactly been working, no?

That's two really different questions, innit?

On the first question, there isn't a definition of "extraordinarily successful" that Calipari's record at Kentucky doesn't satisfy. He's been there for 11 seasons now, 10 of which they could play in a postseason tournament. In that span:

- .811 Overall winning percentage.
- .786 Conference winning percentage
- 3 Seasons with 3 losses or fewer
- 6 Conference finishes of 1st or T1
- 4 Conference finishes of 2nd or T2
- 9 NCAA Tournament Bids
- 8 Sweet Sixteens
- 7 Elite Eights
- 4 Final Fours
- 1 National Championship

I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best 11-year runs in college basketball history. Not quite Wooden level, but certainly in rare territory. Maybe the worst thing you can say about it is that he only walked home with the hardware once in 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours. But, still, 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours....in 10 eligible years?

On the second question, I would just say "not necessarily." Being in southern Indiana, I know a gob of UK fans. The vast majority of them are thrilled with what their program is. I know a couple that complain about Calipari, but mostly that he hasn't done more with all the talent he's gotten to Lexington. They have no issue with the revolving door roster, so long as the wins and championships keep coming in.

Now, does that strike me as a bit...hollow? Well, sure. I like to get to watch our players develop for more than 1 or 2 seasons. I'm not sure I'd like to feel like our basketball program was set up like a quick turnaround assembly line.

But, to paraphrase a certain real estate tycoon turned populist politician with bad hair, I don't think I'd get tired of all the winning.

So...I'm perfectly fine not being that kind of program. But I would say that whatever we've been doing hasn't exactly been working, no?

IU needs to get better...a lot better. But i have no interest in a program like that. The UK grads i know (those that remember "The Unforgettables") when being perfectly honest...wish it was different as well.

IU needs to get better...a lot better. But i have no interest in a program like that. The UK grads i know (those that remember "The Unforgettables") when being perfectly honest...wish it was different as well.

But notice that there's virtually nobody calling for John Calipari's job. Quite the contrary, last year he got a contract that was officially a 10-year extension -- but with a "lifetime ambassador" clause to go along with it.

I'm sure there are plenty of Kentucky fans who wish they weren't a 1-year stopover for NBA players-in-wait to lay their head. But if you ask them if they'd be willing to accept lesser results for this, it becomes a different question.

Again, I'm not saying I want IU to become that. In fact, I doubt we even could if we wanted to. But I do know that we've been a depressingly mediocre program for way too long.

Anyway, you took issue with my use of the term "extraordinarily successful" to describe Calipari's time at UK. But absolutely nobody could argue with a straight face about the results he's gotten. Pointing that out doesn't mean we should emulate how he's done it.

Hopefully that gets PU caught up, but I don't think it is enough given how badly and widely the renovations were needed. Are they finally going to do something about the field? How about the tailgate areas?

I think it’ll at least get them caught up worst case scenario. It might be a few years further out now because of Covid but once it’s done it should be legit. The video board is a great start. Who knows about the field? Which tailgating area are you referring to? Right by the stadium?

What’s wrong with being a Purdue fan?
The inherent hazards are numerous
P3vT9qN.gif

I think it’ll at least get them caught up worst case scenario. It might be a few years further out now because of Covid but once it’s done it should be legit. The video board is a great start. Who knows about the field? Which tailgating area are you referring to? Right by the stadium?
Anyone who’s seen the football facility knows you guys not only caught up, you passed quite a few others.

Reactions: Mackeyfan247

The indoor facility is state of the art as is the video board and yes Covid cost them probably 18-24 months, the supply chain is a disaster right now. The stadium itself needs lots and lots of work as you know.

If we don't have a pass for the big lot at the north end zone we usually get one for Slayter hill (although we had a very bad experience with a large group of Band alumni there by the stage.) I know they can't knock down buildings for tailgates but the whole thing seems disorganized and chopped up. We took the RV up once and will never do that again.

The indoor facility is state of the art as is the video board and yes Covid cost them probably 18-24 months, the supply chain is a disaster right now. The stadium itself needs lots and lots of work as you know.

If we don't have a pass for the big lot at the north end zone we usually get one for Slayter hill (although we had a very bad experience with a large group of Band alumni there by the stage.) I know they can't knock down buildings for tailgates but the whole thing seems disorganized and chopped up. We took the RV up once and will never do that again.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they tear down Hilltop Apartments (the ones by the stadium) and maybe use that for tailgating space. They’re run-down and that land could be used for something fooball-specific. The intramural fields are technically for tailgating but that’s a trek from there to the stadium.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they tear down Hilltop Apartments (the ones by the stadium) and maybe use that for tailgating space. They’re run-down and that land could be used for something fooball-specific. The intramural fields are technically for tailgating but that’s a trek from there to the stadium.

that is pretty valuable real estate to use for parking but they are dumps.

The field isn't anymore injury prone than turf and has come a long way in the last few years. Should be better this year as this is the 2nd year with a new Bermuda which is more cold resistance and has shown great success in wisconsin and is currently being tested as far north as the upper peninsula.

The most common question during Hoops season in KY (besides "are second cousins ok"?) is "can some-body read da roster ta me"?
I know, in Indiana you prefer first cousins. Here's how it works in college basketball: You can get the best players and live with the fact they will only be around one or two years, or you can get the not-the-best players and expect them to be around four years. Given those two scenarios, at UK we prefer the former. The option of getting the best players and having them stay four years, doesn't exist in this reality. But you keep right on dreaming of it. Maybe it will happen in your next life.

Have you watched the NBA playoffs? Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis, Jamal Murray, have all been tearing it up. Do I wish they had stayed longer at UK? Sure do. Am I happy they played one season there? Sure am. See how that works?

I know, in Indiana you prefer first cousins. Here's how it works in college basketball: You can get the best players and live with the fact they will only be around one or two years, or you can get the not-the-best players and expect them to be around four years. Given those two scenarios, at UK we prefer the former. The option of getting the best players and having them stay four years, doesn't exist in this reality. But you keep right on dreaming of it. Maybe it will happen in your next life.

Have you watched the NBA playoffs? Tyler Herro, Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis, Jamal Murray, have all been tearing it up. Do I wish they had stayed longer at UK? Sure do. Am I happy they played one season there? Sure am. See how that works?

Yeah, as I said above, there's definitely something to be said for Cal's 5-star OAD strategy. And there's no question he's been highly successful with it.

But there's also something to be said for the other way -- and you're flat wrong that it "doesn't exist in reality." Let's not forget that Jay Wright has more national championship rings than John Calipari does. And neither one of his NC teams had any OADs. Brunson was a legit 5-star. But he stayed 3 years and played on both teams.

Tony Bennett's NC team likewise didn't have any OADs. Kyle Guy was a Top 30 5-star, but he also played 3 years.

Spoken like the typical non-grad bandwagon fan.

Just win Baby...at any cost

ADVERTISEMENT