ADVERTISEMENT

will IU baseball always be a stepping stone?

hoosierfan35

Sophomore
Mar 11, 2010
If we can't keep Coach Smith, it makes me think we will always be a stepping stone. I really am surprised he left after what he built. I can't believe IU couldn't afford him, but I guess tradition won out
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Can't be purely money.

It seems like Fred G would have done whatever necessary from a compensation standpoint. This HAS to be about the climate, fertile recruiting grounds, power conference, tradition, etc. Damn shame.

I am sure you are right, but will that part ever change. If we get another good coach, will he leave also? I guess that is for Fred Glass to fix

Yes for the elite powerhouse jobs in the PAC 12, SEC etc.

The Big 10's lack of respect weighed on him. The Big Ten, although improved, is a mid-major baseball conference. Midwest baseball will always be at a huge disadvantage with the weather, recruiting etc. Early in the season it hurt IU with awful Midwest winter.

IU just lost their coach to a collegiate powerhouse in a powerhouse conference. IU baseball can never compete with that.

As much as I truly hate to admit it...

I don't think ol' Fred can fix it. Mother Nature maybe, but not Fred. I have to believe it has a whole lot more to do with that damned Northern Team stigma and all the obstacles that playing in Indiana presents. The good news is I think CTS has set us up to continue having success with the facilities. Being able to actually play home games in February is huge.

It just seems like EVERYTHING would be easier in the South and West.

There is no history of IU baseball being a stepping stone

Tracy Smith did a great job while he was here, and those results got him into consideration by a program which has more history in terms of recognition and results at the national level. Whether the next coach gets recruited away will depend on a lot of things. It is difficult to predict what will happen, but if the results at IU are good I'm fine with having to hire a new baseball coach every few years. Why should we expect that a coach in baseball or any sport will be at IU for a lifetime?
This post was edited on 6/24 11:02 PM by IUXC68

Until we put up more than two good years...

yes. I was wrong. I thought Tracy would stay. But I do understand.

ADVERTISEMENT