ADVERTISEMENT

Will Conferences and Schools Still Get Their TV Money If No Games?

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
an interesting "follow the money" question.

i wonder if the tv contracts address such a situation as covid at all.

that said, do Disney/ESPN or Fox/BTN even want it addressed.

much of your cable/satellite bill is sports programming based, and you notice your bill hasn't gone down one cent even without sports, other than reruns and now some golf.

at first glance, one might reason that Disney/ABC/ESPN and Fox and CBS and NBC/Comcast and TBS/TNT might fight to not have to pay out contracts to the Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, PAC, NBA, MLB, PGA, NFL, as we're talking huge money being paid out here for what's currently, the past 5 months, and for the foreseeable future, absolutely nothing in return for all that money paid out.

but "not so fast my friend".

if Disney/ABC/ESPN, CBS, FOX/BTN, TBS/TNT, NBC, don't have to pay all those huge bucks for zero in return, then arguably they can't as easily turn around and charge Comcast, AT&T/Directv, Spectrum/Charter, Dish Net, Altice USA, etc, and now You Tube TV and all the other streaming cable options carrying those networks, even bigger bucks after their markup is also figured in, for absolutely nothing either.

and if Comcast, AT&T/Directv, Spectrum/Charter, Dish Net, You Tube TV, etc, fought paying the networks the even bigger bucks for the now non existent sports programming, then Comcast, AT&T/Directv, etc, arguably couldn't turn around, mark up, and charge cable/satellite/streaming customers for the non existent sports programming they are currently charging them a huge chunk of their overall monthly bill for.

again, notice your cable/satellite bill hasn't gone down one cent, even though a good percentage of what you are paying for is no longer being provided.

and your cable/satellite provider is also your home/business internet provider, so they've really got you by the balls.

therefore, even without a season at all in college football or bball, not inconceivable that the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC, PAC, still get their gigantic tv payouts.

and if the conferences, thus the major schools, are still getting their tv money even absent any games being played, then not unreasonable to think the smaller schools who have game contracts with the big schools will argue for and come after their share of the game contracts, for which the major schools they contracted with are still getting paid for the tv rights to if they still are.

and while i suppose some consumer group could sue the big telecom guys for charging subscribers big bucks for programing they are no longer getting, big telecom could drag it out forever in the courts, and SCOTUS just like the legislature, hasn't backed the consumer vs big business in over 50 yr, so good luck with that.

anyway, just some middle of the night ramblings from an old guy in lock down with no sports to watch, but still being charged big bucks for them..

Last edited:
Well, they lost a lot of money when they did not play the basketball tourney. I think the income all comes from the commercials so there is no free money.

Reactions: vesuvius13
There will be no tv money. There is no area untouched by the pandemic. Ad agencies will not. Ecdoiung commercials and will lay-off people. Sales people have lost jobs and will have a difficult time. Pretty terrible time to be taking about big bucks from name and likeness.the impact on college athletics will be catastrophic.

I see the numbers rising yet my friends and myself have gone to restaurants and other places multiple times and yet I don’t know of one person my age has caught this. Maybe we are lucky? Perhaps I was my hands and wear a mask? I work with about 2000 people. 6 have tested positive. There was one older gentleman who passed away. MLB tested 3200 players and staff and 38 tested positive. How many young people have died? I’d like to see actual numbers and not the BS numbers spewed by the media.

Add that only 1% of the population has tested positive for this virus. But that hasn't prevented ICUs in major cities filling up and refrigerated trucks being turned into temporary morgues. It hasn't prevented crews of Navy vessels being swamped with virus. It hasn't prevented about 800 hospital workers in the US from dying.

Do you see a trend here? 6 Indiana Hoosier football players tested positive two days ago and practice has been shut down.

Who was that guy's said there are only 15 cases in the US and its going towards zero?

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
I would really like the BTN to air games of the 1950s and 1960s, before many fans would have been alive to see it. I would watch them even if IU was not involved. I always enjoy old film footage anyway, such as the World Wars.

much of your cable/satellite bill is sports programming based, and you notice your bill hasn't gone down one cent even without sports, other than reruns and now some golf.

at first glance, one might reason that Disney/ABC/ESPN and Fox and CBS and NBC/Comcast and TBS/TNT might fight to not have to pay out contracts to the Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, PAC, NBA, MLB, PGA, NFL, as we're talking huge money being paid out here for what's currently, the past 5 months, and for the foreseeable future, absolutely nothing in return for all that money paid out.

if Disney/ABC/ESPN, CBS, FOX/BTN, TBS/TNT, NBC, don't have to pay all those huge bucks for zero in return, then arguably they can't as easily turn around and charge Comcast, AT&T/Directv, Spectrum/Charter, Dish Net, Altice USA, etc, and now You Tube TV and all the other streaming cable options carrying those networks, even bigger bucks after their markup is also figured in, for absolutely nothing either.

and if Comcast, AT&T/Directv, Spectrum/Charter, Dish Net, You Tube TV, etc, fought paying the networks the even bigger bucks for the now non existent sports programming, then Comcast, AT&T/Directv, etc, arguably couldn't turn around, mark up, and charge cable/satellite/streaming customers for the non existent sports programming they are currently charging them a huge chunk of their overall monthly bill for.

again, notice your cable/satellite bill hasn't gone down one cent, even though a good percentage of what you are paying for is no longer being provided.

and your cable/satellite provider is also your home/business internet provider, so they've really got you by the balls.

therefore, even without a season at all in college football or bball, not inconceivable that the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC, PAC, still get their gigantic tv payouts.

and if the conferences, thus the major schools, are still getting their tv money even absent any games being played, then not unreasonable to think the smaller schools who have game contracts with the big schools will argue for and come after their share of the game contracts, for which the major schools they contracted with are still getting paid for the tv rights to if they still are.

and while i suppose some consumer group could sue the big telecom guys for charging subscribers big bucks for programing they are no longer getting, big telecom could drag it out forever in the courts, and SCOTUS just like the legislature, hasn't backed the consumer vs big business in over 50 yr, so good luck with that.

anyway, just some middle of the night ramblings from an old guy in lock down with no sports to watch, but still being charged big bucks for them..

Lots of points that haven't percolate to the top of my conciousness. Thanks.

Add that only 1% of the population has tested positive for this virus. But that hasn't prevented ICUs in major cities filling up and refrigerated trucks being turned into temporary morgues. It hasn't prevented crews of Navy vessels being swamped with virus. It hasn't prevented about 800 hospital workers in the US from dying.

Do you see a trend here? 6 Indiana Hoosier football players tested positive two days ago and practice has been shut down.

Who was that guy's said there are only 15 cases in the US and its going towards zero?
If it's true that 1% tested positive, it's a certainty that there are more positives who are untested.

And ICUs haven't 'filled up' in major cities - only New York. And when the government brought in a Navy ship and set up temporary hospitals, they went unused.

Refrigerated trucks were used in NYC - for a short period of time.

Please try to keep things in perspective.

One of the things severely skewing the numbers is that every death that can get a COVID diagnosis is being pushed to do so. You could have a terminal patient with metastasized cancer throughout and on life support and if they can get a COVID diagnosis from said patient, they will log that as the cause of death. They completely ignore any underlying health conditions. They have patients who have a positive test, no symptoms, and if they die from something else, they tally it as COVID.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
If it's true that 1% tested positive, it's a certainty that there are more positives who are untested.

And ICUs haven't 'filled up' in major cities - only New York. And when the government brought in a Navy ship and set up temporary hospitals, they went unused.

Refrigerated trucks were used in NYC - for a short period of time.

Please try to keep things in perspective.

On July 9th 40 ICUs in Florida were filled to capacity
In Miami-Dade County they are at 119% of capacity. Texas and Arizona are out of control. Both are currently using refrigerated trucks as temporary morgues.

Here in Florida cases have doubled in about a week and we're testing 10,000+ people positive daily. A small percentage has those people will be hospitalized but it does not take much to overtax the system.

Check out Florida, Texas and Arizona for starters. Texas and Arizona are using refrigerated trucks.

Approximately 3.7 million people have tested positive. 3.3 million people would be 1% of the population.

This is still in its infancy stage. Again, about 1% of the population has tested positive and look at all the havoc this is caused. At any level, city, state or federal we are not geared up to deal with a major catastrophe.

This is why wearing a mask is a common sense civic responsibility. Anybody can be an asymptomatic carrier. Nobody has the right to say f*** you I don't care if somebody else dies.

We need more masks. We need better masks. We need more testing. We need effective tracing. Right now in Florida tracing is completely ineffective because it is not being taken seriously by our governor .

We need a national solution. We need effective leadership at all levels of government working together. We need private Industry working from the same page.

To add insult to injury I just read this morning that in Central Florida police are breaking up more of these assinine covid parties. Some have 400 people at them.

Edit: new cases today a little less than 12,500.

Last edited:
Well, they lost a lot of money when they did not play the basketball tourney. I think the income all comes from the commercials so there is no free money.

the schools may have lost ticket money from no conf BB tourney, but i question if they lost any tv money, and doubt the schools get any of the tv ad money. (they do get some ad money from BTN, but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things).

the networks no doubt lost some tv ad money, but the bulk of their revenues are carriage fees more so than ad money, at least with the non broadcast channels like BTN and ESPN. (and whatever replacement shows they had would have had ad money, even if they couldn't charge as much for ad time).

the providers like Comcast and Spectrum would have lost some ad money, but the overwhelming bulk of their revenues are subscriber fees, and those haven't gone down any due to no sports. (at least i haven't seen my bill go down one cent).

Last edited:
In Miami-Dade County they are at 119% of capacity. Texas and Arizona are out of control. Both are currently using refrigerated trucks as temporary morgues.

Here in Florida cases have doubled in about a week and we're testing 10,000+ people positive daily. A small percentage has those people will be hospitalized but it does not take much to overtax the system.

Check out Florida, Texas and Arizona for starters. Texas and Arizona are using refrigerated trucks.

Approximately 3.7 million people have tested positive. 3.3 million people would be 1% of the population.

This is still in its infancy stage. Again, about 1% of the population has tested positive and look at all the havoc this is caused. At any level, city, state or federal we are not geared up to deal with a major catastrophe.

This is why wearing a mask is a common sense civic responsibility. Anybody can be an asymptomatic carrier. Nobody has the right to say f*** you I don't care if somebody else dies.

We need more masks. We need better masks. We need more testing. We need effective tracing. Right now in Florida tracing is completely ineffective because it is not being taken seriously by our governor .

We need a national solution. We need effective leadership at all levels of government working together. We need private Industry working from the same page.

To add insult to injury I just read this morning that in Central Florida police are breaking up more of these assinine covid parties. Some have 400 people at them.

You said all that was happening in 'major cities'. It's not. It has happened only rarely.

Individual hospitals may be reaching capacity. but 'major cities' have more than 1 hospital. They can move patients that need the bed. I have not heard of 1 patient who was denied ICU care.

You can be assured if that was the case, there would be temporary hospitals set up, yet there's no word of that happening or even being in the works. Not even the Navy hospital ships, which could surely dock in Miami, if needed.

As far as a national solution, no country has one. The US is leading the way in developing a vaccine - so much so that Russia and China are trying to hack into our labs.

the schools may have lost ticket money from no conf BB tourney, but i question if they lost any tv money, and doubt the schools get any of the tv ad money.

the networks no doubt lost some tv ad money, but the bulk of their revenues are carriage fees more so than ad money, at least with the non broadcast channels like BTN and ESPN. (and whatever replacement shows they had would have had ad money, even if they couldn't charge as much for ad time).

the providers like Comcast and Spectrum would have lost some ad money, but the overwhelming bulk of their revenues are subscriber fees, and those haven't gone down any due to no sports. (at least i haven't seen my bill go down one cent).
I’m pretty sure the bulk of the money lost from the tourney was tv money. There would be huge losses if they don’t play football.

You said all that was happening in 'major cities'. It's not. It has happened only rarely.

Individual hospitals may be reaching capacity. but 'major cities' have more than 1 hospital. They can move patients that need the bed. I have not heard of 1 patient who

You keep moving the goalposts. And it's not my job to educate you about things that you choose to ignore. And by the way Miami, Houston in Phoenix our major cities.

There are hospitals that are putting patients in helicopters and flying them long distances two other hospital so that they can have a bed. And by your definition no problem they found a bed. One can argue with you because you never admit when you are wrong.
Even States like Alabama and Arkansas are requiring masks now.

Reactions: muubell
You keep moving the goalposts. And it's not my job to educate you about things that you choose to ignore. And by the way Miami, Houston in Phoenix our major cities.

There are hospitals that are putting patients in helicopters and flying them long distances two other hospital so that they can have a bed. And by your definition no problem they found a bed. One can argue with you because you never admit when you are wrong.
What goalposts have I moved?

You want to talk about moving goalposts? Ever heard of 'flattening the curve'? That was supposed to happen so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Hospitals were so overwhelmed that some had to close for lack of patients.

You use anecdotes to prove your point, with no data whatsoever. You make overblown statements and then one or two examples to counter argument. If you want to be taken seriously, quit making sweeping statements that are easily proven wrong.

So which ''two'' hospital are they sending people too? Ones that ''our '' major cities? I love a post telling some one else it's not my job to educate you and you can't even use English properly but feel the need to educate others? Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight!

Reactions: DANC

Will you pay me to not mow your yard?

Individual hospitals may be reaching capacity. but 'major cities' have more than 1 hospital. They can move patients that need the bed. I have not heard of 1 patient who was denied ICU care.

You can be assured if that was the case, there would be temporary hospitals set up, yet there's no word of that happening or even being in the works. Not even the Navy hospital ships, which could surely dock in Miami, if needed.

As far as a national solution, no country has one. The US is leading the way in developing a vaccine - so much so that Russia and China are trying to hack into our labs.

not sure why you're holding on so tight to what's obviously not so.

and while no one has solved the problem, many countries with far less resources have managed things far better.

that said, please take the thread hijack to one of the many covid threads available, and not respond here other than to the thread topic.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the bulk of the money lost from the tourney was tv money. There would be huge losses if they don’t play football.

please show what TV money was lost from not playing the tourney.

did the B10 return or not collect any of the tv money they long ago contracted for with the networks?

did the networks give any carriage fee rebates to the cable/satellite/streaming providers.

did the cable/satellite/streaming providers give the subscribers any refunds?

i think not, but if you have evidence to the contrary, i'm open to your showing us what you have.

please show what TV money was lost from not playing the tourney.

did the B10 return or not collect any of the tv money they long ago contracted for with the networks?

did the networks give any carriage fee rebates to the cable/satellite/streaming providers.

did the cable/satellite/streaming providers give the subscribers any refunds?

i think not, but if you have evidence to the contrary, i'm open to your showing us what you have.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/sport...ering/65-cec95da1-2d01-4613-bbf8-543d60d26033

[URL]https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-tournament-coronavirus.html
[/URL]

Both these articles site TV revenue. There are many others.

First of all I wear a mask. Most people I know where a mask. I see in the hippie coffee shops not so much. Here in Texas the ICU units normally operate around 85% capacity so only 15% was available for the first wave we got. Yes a little over 3.7 million have tested positive but the daily rate getting is going steadily down and was at 1.5% yesterday. Deaths are going down vs those getting the virus. I saw huge parties in Miami where the FL problem is based. So where is the mayor?
As of July 20, deaths rates per 100K:
Michigan-64
New York-167
New Jersey-176
Florida-22

Reactions: DANC
What goalposts have I moved?

You want to talk about moving goalposts? Ever heard of 'flattening the curve'? That was supposed to happen so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Hospitals were so overwhelmed that some had to close for lack of patients.

You use anecdotes to prove your point, with no data whatsoever. You make overblown statements and then one or two examples to counter argument. If you want to be taken seriously, quit making sweeping statements that are easily proven wrong.

The number of Florida Hospital ICU operating capacity was 50 this morning and it's 53 now.
Patiets in California are being transferred as many as six hundred miles to find an ICU bed. How do I know this? I read the news everyday.
So which ''two'' hospital are they sending people too? Ones that ''our '' major cities? I love a post telling some one else it's not my job to educate you and you can't even use English properly but feel the need to educate others? Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight!

Yep. I'm guilty have using the dictation function on my cellphone. At least it didn't to transcribe anything with a swear word which occasionally happens. But if you got a good laugh from this take a look at Trump's Fourth of July speech last year where George Washington's troops stormed the airports and in the morning our flag was still there.

The number of Florida Hospital ICU operating capacity was 50 this morning and it's 53 now.
Patiets in California are being transferred as many as six hundred miles to find an ICU bed. How do I know this? I read the news everyday.

Yep. I'm guilty have using the dictation function on my cellphone. At least it didn't to transcribe anything with a swear word which occasionally happens. But if you got a good laugh from this take a look at Trump's Fourth of July speech last year where George Washington's troops stormed the airports and in the morning our flag was still there.
How many have been denied ICU care? Does your news tell you that?

yes, the NCAA tourney was canceled..

that said, for major conference schools that's a small portion of their annual tv money, even if they indeed did lose out on it, which i still know not.

the big chunk comes from the tier 1 contracts with Disney/ABC/ESPN, Fox, CBS for regular season games, the conference networks, and bowls.

this coming yr could be a different story, or not, but i don't think the big schools took a significant, if any, hit on tv money last yr.

they also played most of the yr before things started getting cancelled, so there's that.

that said, the articles regarding the NCAA tourney cited the amounts contracted for, not actually paid out.

one might assume these amounts were not paid out because the tourney wasn't played, but i know not the answer to that and i wouldn't just assume that to be the case because it seems logical, as things are often more complex than that.

the case of do IU and B10 schools owe UConn and other non con schools for cancelled games has already be been brought up, and not answered to my knowledge.

and we also don't know how the NCAA contracts were worded.

seems like summer is when the per school B10 payouts for the yr are usually announced, and it will be interesting to see if they vary much from the projections. (though not sure if these don't run a yr behind).

neither CBS, TNT/TBS, nor any of the other networks, charge the cable/satellite/streaming providers for specific events like the NCAA tourney.

they charge per subscriber per month access to carriage fees.

i highly doubt CBS/Viacom or TBS/TNT adjusted those contracted for fees with the cable/satellite/streaming providers, and even if CBS and TNT/TBS did ding the NCAA for that money, which we don't know, i don't think the cable/etc providers could then necessarily come after them. (though again, i know not on that).

but there is a giant domino effect dynamic here, especially when addressing non single events like the tourney and bowls.

i'm sure IU could tell us if CBS and Turner did withhold payment to the NCAA when the tourney was cancelled, but good luck getting info out of IU. (and probably not settled yet).

as for the coming yr, it will be interesting to see how things play out, and if the long term tier and conference networks contracts get honored in full or in part.

and like i said, there is a huge hypothetical domino dynamic here.

if Disney/ABC/ESPN, Fox, and all the other nets do come after the conferences contracted with if no seasons, do they open themselves up to the cable/etc providers coming after them in turn.

and would the cable/satellite/streaming providers coming after the networks in turn for a massive reduction in per sub per month carriage fees, then open themselves up to subscribers coming after the cable/etc providers thru govt or other means for an adjustment in monthly bills. (and many subscribers are on contracts with the providers, which should be illegal along with bundling, but that's another discussion).

and i could see a' la carte becoming an issue brought back to the public discourse in all this, which is the nightmare scenario for the schools/conferences, networks, cable/satellite/streaming providers, and even both political parties who absolutely don't want this brought up, due to their tightly interwoven quid pro quo relationships with Comcast, AT&T, and Fox. (although how much traction can something get, if neither NBC, CNN, Fox, nor any other network, will ever so much as mention it, ever).

and this is before even bringing up the pro sports contracts.

Last edited:
Oh wow.
yes, the NCAA tourney was canceled..

that said, for major conference schools that's a small portion of their annual tv money, even if they indeed did lose out on it, which i still know not.

the big chunk comes from the tier 1 contracts with Disney/ABC/ESPN, Fox, CBS for regular season games, the conference networks, and bowls.

this coming yr could be a different story, or not, but i don't think the big schools took a significant, if any, hit on tv money last yr.

they also played most of the yr before things started getting cancelled, so there's that.

that said, the articles regarding the NCAA tourney cited the amounts contracted for.

one might assume these amounts were not paid out because the tourney wasn't played, but i know not the answer to that and i wouldn't just assume that to be the case because it seems logical, as things are often more complex than that.

the case of do IU and B10 schools owe UConn and other non con schools for cancelled games has already be been brought up, and not answered to my knowledge.

and we also don't know how the NCAA contracts were worded.

seems like summer is when the per school B10 payouts for the yr are usually announced, and it will be interesting to see if they vary much from the projections. (though not sure if these don't run a yr behind).

neither CBS, TNT/TBS, nor any of the other networks, charge the cable/satellite/streaming providers for specific events like the NCAA tourney.

they charge per subscriber per month access to carriage fees.

i highly doubt CBS/Viacom or TBS/TNT adjusted those contracted for fees with the cable/satellite/streaming providers, and even if CBS and TNT/TBS did ding the NCAA for that money, i don't think the cable/etc providers could then necessarily come after them. (though again, i know not on that).

but there is giant domino effect dynamic here, especially when addressing non single events like the tourney and bowls.

i'm sure IU could tell us if CBS and Turner did withhold payment to the NCAA when the tourney was cancelled, but good luck getting info out of IU.

as for the coming yr, it will be interesting to see how things play out, and if the long term tier and conference networks contracts get honored in full or in part.

and like i said, there is a huge hypothetical domino dynamic here.

if Disney/ABC/ESPN, Fox, and all the other nets do come after the conferences contracted with if no seasons, do they open themselves up to the cable/etc providers coming after them in turn.

and would the cable/satellite/streaming providers coming after the networks in turn for a massive reduction in per sub per month carriage fees, then open themselves up to subscribers coming after the cable/etc providers thru govt or other means for an adjustment in monthly bills. (and many subscribers are on contracts with the providers, which should be illegal along with bundling, but that's another discussion).

and i could see a' la carte becoming an issue brought back to the public discourse in all this, which is the nightmare scenario for the schools/conferences, networks, cable/satellite/streaming providers, and even both political parties who absolutely don't want this brought up, due to their tightly interwoven quid pro quo relationships with Comcast, AT&T, and Fox. (although how much traction can something get, if neither NBC, CNN, Fox, nor any other network, will ever so much as mention it, ever).

and this is before even bringing up the pro sports contracts.
OK make it out to be what ever you want but there will be a big drop off in TV revenue if football is not played as there was for the BB tourney. Hopefully though we will not have to find out the answer to that question.

Oh wow.

OK make it out to be what ever you want but there will be a big drop off in TV revenue if football is not played as there was for the BB tourney. Hopefully though we will not have to find out the answer to that question.

"as there was for the BB tourney"
----------------------------------------------------

again, you're assuming facts not in evidence.

as i'm guessing were whomever wrote the article you linked.

you're links were all to the same story from mid March, and no way the writer(s) had access to the legal/financial implications to the cancellation at that time.

the NCAA's contracts with CBS and Turner aren't done annually, and the current i believe 22 yr contract runs through 2032.

perhaps someone with access to IU could lend verification one way or another whether or how much, if any, the cancellation impacted the contract and/or the payouts.

or whether this has even as yet been settled. (which i'm guessing "no way").

but good luck with that, as i doubt IU is commenting on that..

as to how covid affects tv money in sports for the next yr will be interesting to see, thus my thread in the first place.

but this isn't ordering a sweater online, the sweater being out of stock, thus getting a refund because the sweater wasn't delivered.

tv contracts are very long term, i doubt had "pandemic" clauses written in, and then there is the domino dynamic that i mentioned above.

CBS/Viacom and Turner/Time Warner/AT&T already had the tv sports contracts expense factored in when they contracted for carriage agreements with the Cable/satellite/streaming providers. (thus why they get the big per mo per sub access fees)

and i doubt CBS or Turner are refunding anything yet to providers, nor are providers refunding anything yet to subscribers.

will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT