ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you wanna play at Indiana?

Several things.

He wasn’t winning as much, so the things he did weren’t as excused as they were at one time.

Parents, many of whom played sports as kids, didn’t like someone treating their sons that way, and they realized there were plenty of alternatives.

The media was far more pervasive, providing a much greater view into the things Knight was actually doing. Knight would’ve never survived the Russ Brown or Kit Klinglehoffer incidents in the modern media world, but they were non events then.

And players had options. No longer did they have to accept Knight’s way of doing things. There were plenty of coaches who got great results but did so while managing their tempers and overall comportment.

Other coaches changed with the times. Teachers did, too. And parents. Almost everyone did, owing to the evolving norms and standards of society. Knight didn’t, and he was a dinosaur who became extinct.
Knight did not change.
The kids did.

No, it’s actually very straightforward and sensible.
Good for you, champ. I’m proud that IU degree managed to elevate your written discourse to its present level.

Sometimes, to have a proper appreciation of what another manages to accomplish in this life, one needs must try to contemplate how much worse it could be.

Good for you, champ. I’m proud that IU degree managed to elevate your written discourse to its present level.

Sometimes, to have a proper appreciation of what another manages to accomplish in this life, one needs must try to contemplate how much worse it could be.
Of course, champ. Where you want to be is often defined by where you’ve been, and what you have must always be evaluated in the context of “possibility” (both positive and negative). None of that changes the basic tenant that growth and maturity are positive benefits of the journey, and Knight’s inability to cultivate those two characteristics in himself prematurely ended his time at IU and set back the basketball program. Not a happy result, but entirely predictable.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Of course, champ. Where you want to be is often defined by where you’ve been, and what you have must always be evaluated in the context of “possibility” (both positive and negative). None of that changes the basic tenant that growth and maturity are positive benefits of the journey, and Knight’s inability to cultivate those two characteristics in himself prematurely ended his time at IU and set back the basketball program. Not a happy result, but entirely predictable.
This post illustrates what happens when one too often turns to “books” “written” by management “gurus” for life lessons and insight into the human condition. Well done as a cautionary example.

This post illustrates what happens when one too often turns to “books” “written” by management “gurus” for life lessons and insight into the human condition. Well done as a cautionary example.
If that’s your take, I think you’ve badly missed the message. You seem to have not experienced as much in life as perhaps I thought you had. Go enjoy the journey or, maybe in your case, go initiate it.

Knight did not change.
The kids did.
In an interview once he blamed the parents. He said that parents are not as good today as they were years ago. I would say it is very complicated. On one hand you might have parents who just don't see the see the value or know how to raise good disciplined kids who will contribute to society. On the other hand kids sometimes reject the correct teaching of their parents and grab onto this wretched popular culture.

Reactions: Sassy61
Good players are coming and staying at Indiana because they want to play for Archie Miller. If you are evaluating his recruiting by the rankings, he has brought in one five star, seven four stars, and four three stars so far in his first three classes according to 247. Of those twelve, eight are from Indiana including soon to be three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs. One of the twelve was drafted in the NBA and only one has transferred. He is doing a great job building this roster, and I look forward to another season watching his players develop. Go Hoosiers.

Good players are coming and staying at Indiana because they want to play for Archie Miller. If you are evaluating his recruiting by the rankings, he has brought in one five star, seven four stars, and four three stars so far in his first three classes according to 247. Of those twelve, eight are from Indiana including soon to be three straight Indiana Mr. Basketballs. One of the twelve was drafted in the NBA and only one has transferred. He is doing a great job building this roster, and I look forward to another season watching his players develop. Go Hoosiers.
His recruiting has gotten worse every single year. Just consistently worse and worse as time goes on. It’s a complete train wreck right now.

His recruiting has gotten worse every single year. Just consistently worse and worse as time goes on. It’s a complete train wreck right now.
His recruiting has not gotten worse if you consider the state of Indiana priority number one. He is doing what is necessary to build Indiana into a consistent winner. To me, it’s a positive that one and done players are not attracted to playing for him. I look forward to having a whole team of Phinisee’s, TJD’s, and Franklin’s. Next year he add’s three more high character guys.

Reactions: Sassy61
His recruiting has not gotten worse if you consider the state of Indiana priority number one. He is doing what is necessary to build Indiana into a consistent winner. To me, it’s a positive that one and done players are not attracted to playing for him. I look forward to having a whole team of Phinisee’s, TJD’s, and Franklin’s. Next year he add’s three more high character guys.
You’re being blinded by your fan hood. I know you truly believe your delusions are reality but they’re not. You’re being blinded by false hope.

Archie is not prioritizing these recruits. He’s trying to get better kids but they won’t play for him. Then he settles for these local kids.

Several things.

He wasn’t winning as much, so the things he did weren’t as excused as they were at one time.

Parents, many of whom played sports as kids, didn’t like someone treating their sons that way, and they realized there were plenty of alternatives.

The media was far more pervasive, providing a much greater view into the things Knight was actually doing. Knight would’ve never survived the Russ Brown or Kit Klinglehoffer incidents in the modern media world, but they were non events then.

And players had options. No longer did they have to accept Knight’s way of doing things. There were plenty of coaches who got great results but did so while managing their tempers and overall comportment.

Other coaches changed with the times. Teachers did, too. And parents. Almost everyone did, owing to the evolving norms and standards of society. Knight didn’t, and he was a dinosaur who became extinct.
That's one way of spinning it. People who are teaching and coaching now (Frank Martin example) might tell you that kids haven't changed but the way we treat them has. They may also tell you that although our physical abilities may be evolving our behavior and intellectual abilities to push through difficulties are not. Look at the number of people who came back from WW1 and WW2 and acclimated back into society becoming the "greatest generation". Look at the number of people who need therapy today for trauma that seems much less than what those men went through.

You’re being blinded by your fan hood. I know you truly believe your delusions are reality but they’re not. You’re being blinded by false hope.

Archie is not prioritizing these recruits. He’s trying to get better kids but they won’t play for him. Then he settles for these local kids.
Maybe I am blinded by fan hood. What are you blinded by?

You say the dumbest things. Are you pretending to be dumb or are you the real deal?

That's one way of spinning it. People who are teaching and coaching now (Frank Martin example) might tell you that kids haven't changed but the way we treat them has. They may also tell you that although our physical abilities may be evolving our behavior and intellectual abilities to push through difficulties are not. Look at the number of people who came back from WW1 and WW2 and acclimated back into society becoming the "greatest generation". Look at the number of people who need therapy today for trauma that seems much less than what those men went through.

you mean all the vets from WW1 & 2 (and Vietnam) who came home from war and drank themselves to death? i'm sure there were some in your family. God knows there were a few in mine.

ya, they were tough folks but not asking for or getting help doesn't make you tough. lol.

he's settling for the kids he's clearly stated he is prioritizing? lol. it may or may not work out about he's doing what he said he was going to do.

when you were a little boy did you say "I am going to grow up to be a blowhard asshole!"? no? maybe you could learn a thing or two here...

You might want to drag yourself into the 21st century if you want to weigh in on issues such as the effective treatment of mental and emotional health and well-being.

You might want to drag yourself into the 21st century if you want to weigh in on issues such as the effective treatment of mental and emotional health and well-being.
I am very familiar with current treatments for emotional health. My statement was regarding the ability of people in the mid 1900's who coped with much tougher issues and went on to become the most productive generation in building America. Having worked closely with mental health issues now I am amazed at how well that generation functioned dealing with living through the depression and the war and still went on to greatness.

you mean all the vets from WW1 & 2 (and Vietnam) who came home from war and drank themselves to death? i'm sure there were some in your family. God knows there were a few in mine.

ya, they were tough folks but not asking for or getting help doesn't make you tough. lol.
They came back.....and drank, smoked, and had all kinds of vices not unlike the vices still in the world today that have always been around. The increase in mental health issues has more than tripled in the last few years and we are not going through war, poverty, and the likes of which that generation did. Certainly not demeaning mental health, just amazed by that generation and their ability to accomplish greatness in the midst of that time frame.

I am very familiar with current treatments for emotional health. My statement was regarding the ability of people in the mid 1900's who coped with much tougher issues and went on to become the most productive generation in building America. Having worked closely with mental health issues now I am amazed at how well that generation functioned dealing with living through the depression and the war and still went on to greatness.
A deeper dive would very likely indicate that the generation of which you speak had neither the support network(s) to even consider their mental and emotional needs nor the broader acceptance of society that there was such a string as “mental illness”. Back then, it was commonly referred to as “shell shock” or “battle fatigue” or some other nebulous phrase. Society certainly didn’t embrace the notion that survivors of war might be burdened with debilitating mental and emotional issues, and little was studied on the subject. Thus, “treatment” was pedestrian and generally reserved for the most extreme of conditions. But suggesting returnees merely straightened their backs and pressed on unaffected is horse and buggy thinking.

A deeper dive would very likely indicate that the generation of which you speak had neither the support network(s) to even consider their mental and emotional needs nor the broader acceptance of society that there was such a string as “mental illness”. Back then, it was commonly referred to as “shell shock” or “battle fatigue” or some other nebulous phrase. Society certainly didn’t embrace the notion that survivors of war might be burdened with debilitating mental and emotional issues, and little was studied on the subject. Thus, “treatment” was pedestrian and generally reserved for the most extreme of conditions. But suggesting returnees merely straightened their backs and pressed on unaffected is horse and buggy thinking.
No doubt you are right. Speaking with many veterans of WWII, I am certainly an admirer of their ability to accomplish what they did without the assistance now available. They truly were the greatest generation although it is my hope, we as a nation can find the ability to be that great again. Even if it means going back to horse and buggies

he's settling for the kids he's clearly stated he is prioritizing? lol. it may or may not work out about he's doing what he said he was going to do.

when you were a little boy did you say "I am going to grow up to be a blowhard asshole!"? no? maybe you could learn a thing or two here...
So he didn’t go after Garcia, Brooks, etc? That was make believe?

I’m objective. I can be a fan yet still see reality. I don’t know why that’s so hard for some fans.
I think you are confusing being objective with standing strong for your opinions. Objective people earn credibility by identifying both positive and negative observations with supporting reasons. They also adjust their positions as new information presents itself. You continue to add to your track record of being wrong without pause. To me, you are reckless, and you are as objective as those who believe Archie Miller is going to win a national championship this year.

Reactions: minneman
So he didn’t go after Garcia, Brooks, etc? That was make believe?
You know our favorite coach, Bob Knight, also missed on several high level players he recruited too, right? You can't be taken seriously any longer - if anyone is taking you seriously.

No doubt you are right. Speaking with many veterans of WWII, I am certainly an admirer of their ability to accomplish what they did without the assistance now available. They truly were the greatest generation although it is my hope, we as a nation can find the ability to be that great again. Even if it means going back to horse and buggies
Anyone, in any era, who is subjected to war deserves our admiration and care.

You know our favorite coach, Bob Knight, also missed on several high level players he recruited too, right? You can't be taken seriously any longer - if anyone is taking you seriously.
He landed a bunch too. He didn’t win championships with a bunch of sub top 100 level recruits. No one ever has.

I think you are confusing being objective with standing strong for your opinions. Objective people earn credibility by identifying both positive and negative observations with supporting reasons. They also adjust their positions as new information presents itself. You continue to add to your track record of being wrong without pause. To me, you are reckless, and you are as objective as those who believe Archie Miller is going to win a national championship this year.
Delusional people don’t know they’re delusional. That’s why they’re the way they are.

He landed a bunch too. He didn’t win championships with a bunch of sub top 100 level recruits. No one ever has.
Bob won with lesser talent than many other championship coaches. You know that, or you're no Bob Knight fan. He took over a Texas Tech team that had four or five consecutive losing seasons and immediately took them to over 20 wins and the tournament his first year. I won 250 bucks from an anti-Knight fan on the old Peegs forum because of it. Bob tried to get top talent. Sometimes he succeeded, but many times he didn't get the top talent he targeted. It's just the way it goes. Either you know that, or you're trolling.

Bob won with lesser talent than many other championship coaches. You know that, or you're no Bob Knight fan. He took over a Texas Tech team that had four or five consecutive losing seasons and immediately took them to over 20 wins and the tournament his first year. I won 250 bucks from an anti-Knight fan on the old Peegs forum because of it. Bob tried to get top talent. Sometimes he succeeded, but many times he didn't get the top talent he targeted. It's just the way it goes. Either you know that, or you're trolling.
When he was winning titles he had multiple all Americans on his teams. Like a Duke or North Carolina of today. He wasn’t winning with a bunch of 3 star players. I was very close to the program at that time.

His results faded with time because he couldn’t recruit like he did in the 70s and 80s. The biggest myth among young people is that Knight won with average recruits.

Which of BK’s championship teams (BiG or NCAA) had lesser talent?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT