ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you wanna play at Indiana?

You get your scholarship guaranteed for four years thanks to Fred Glass. You can be absolutely terrible and still get a free education.

Reactions: smitty3725
Clearly no one does. At least not top 100 kids.
Well if you want immediate playing time it might work. Once you are on Scholarship there is no performance accountability. We don't allow Walk Ons to surpass you on the depth chart. You can mail in your practice effort and fool the Coaching staff into thinking you will simply turn it on on game day and play like Michael Jordan. You get a personal key to a state of the art practice facility that you can use at any time of the day to improve your skills, but nobody cares if you ever use it.

Off the Court, there are the Strombolis at Nicks, and a great Memorial Union Facility with lots of services and options for your leisure time which you will have a lot of seeing as how you aren't spending your time at the practice facility

Candystripes? The candystripes are IU’s drawing power. Who doesn’t want to wear candystripes?

I heard the Mike Davis/Myles Brand crowd claim IU would be just like Duke once they got rid of Knight...………..

You get your scholarship guaranteed for four years thanks to Fred Glass. You can be absolutely terrible and still get a free education.

I hear so much whining about the SBOR, but what is it everyone objects to so much, and how do you see it having any impact on our teams? The only facet I know about it is that it guarantees 4 years of an education if you come to IU to play a sport on scholly, right? Do you really think we're getting a bunch of no account kids who don't care about their sport and just want their education paid for? In the years since it was enacted, how many kids have left the bball team and are still pursuing their degree here? How many in any sports? Maybe it's more far-reaching than I know, but I really see it as a puff piece without much in the way of impact. If anything, I see it as a good selling point to parents of athletes, but these kids are all serious about their sports and want to play. I don't think it was in place when Mo Creek or Gelon left (maybe Gelon), but even they wanted to play elsewhere and not just take the education but not play. Tim Priller is the only kid I can think of, and oh yeah, he was on the team for all 4 years.

Last edited:
We suck... 26 years....???
I disagree. There were a few IU teams I really enjoyed watching and if not for Maurice Creek and OG going down I think IU would have had even more the two Big Ten championships in the last ten years. IU was also ranked number one in the nation at one point in 2013 and had two top five draft picks.

IU needs a couple kids who can't stand to lose and will go all out to win. The leaders on this team are either too into themselves or afraid to lead others. Perfect example is when DD was scoring repeatedly today and DG hoists a 3 pointer without even trying to go inside. Recognition of what is going on in the game is beyond him if it's not about him. Unfortunately JS appears to be the same as on defense he refuses to step in the lane or get a rebound if it's not his man.

Phinisee should be the leader but he doesn't seem to be the same player he was last year and everyone else is too young or unwilling to step up because of the older players. No doubt Green and Smith are the best players talent wise in practice which hurts. IU needs someone like Quinn Buckner who came in day one and took over as a freshman telling people what to do, even if they were all-americans. I have a feeling the Bob Knight had a lot to do with that.

I disagree. There were a few IU teams I really enjoyed watching and if not for Maurice Creek and OG going down I think IU would have had even more the two Big Ten championships in the last ten years. IU was also ranked number one in the nation at one point in 2013 and had two top five draft picks.

IU needs a couple kids who can't stand to lose and will go all out to win. The leaders on this team are either too into themselves or afraid to lead others. Perfect example is when DD was scoring repeatedly today and DG hoists a 3 pointer without even trying to go inside. Recognition of what is going on in the game is beyond him if it's not about him. Unfortunately JS appears to be the same as on defense he refuses to step in the lane or get a rebound if it's not his man.

Phinisee should be the leader but he doesn't seem to be the same player he was last year and everyone else is too young or unwilling to step up because of the older players. No doubt Green and Smith are the best players talent wise in practice which hurts. IU needs someone like Quinn Buckner who came in day one and took over as a freshman telling people what to do, even if they were all-americans. I have a feeling the Bob Knight had a lot to do with that.
Recruiting sucks Mo Creek filled it up as a freshman too Archie is really bad does nothing well

Reactions: Radio Zero

No doubt Green and Smith are the best players talent wise in practice? Looks like our fans forget about TJD just like our players do!

Reactions: minneman
Maybe for the no accountability culture
I remember people complaining about Knight’s accountability hurting IU recruiting with “today’s” players. The young kids weren’t blamed by their parents for not adjusting to his discipline, it was only Knight who was faulted by the parents who read the media faulting Knight for not giving in to the demands of the modern day way of thinking. Knight held true to his beliefs, never caving to peer pressure. Accountability through demanding discipline morphed into abnormal social bullying. How did this change in perspective evolve to what it is today? Look into the eyes of a mirror and reflect upon it for the answer. The pendulum, like some fun-loving people, swings both ways.

I remember people complaining about Knight’s accountability hurting IU recruiting with “today’s” players. The young kids weren’t blamed by their parents for not adjusting to his discipline, it was only Knight who was faulted by the parents who read the media faulting Knight for not giving in to the demands of the modern day way of thinking. Knight held true to his beliefs, never caving to peer pressure. Accountability through demanding discipline morphed into abnormal social bullying. How did this change in perspective evolve to what it is today? Look into the eyes of a mirror and reflect upon it for the answer. The pendulum, like some fun-loving people, swings both ways.
No one complained about Knight’ “accountability through demanding discipline”. Many complained about his tactics for ensuring that accountability, and fewer and fewer players and their parents were willing to submit to his way of achieving said discipline.

No one complained about Knight’ “accountability through demanding discipline”. Many complained about his tactics for ensuring that accountability, and fewer and fewer players and their parents were willing to submit to his way of achieving said discipline.
Knight went out of style to his demanding public, still demanding more.

We suck... 26 years....???
Our arena has character, history, and more screaming fans than most. Our game was on CBS yesterday. We play in one of the top two conferences in the country. Even when we're down our best kids get drafted to the NBA. We're in a state full of rabid fans, a state full of history and tradition and an unmatched love for the sport. Movies have been made about our school. Our business school boasts of billionaire alums and an absurd amount of fortune 500 ceos. hot girls. great bars that suit every taste. eclectic restaurants. everywhere you need to go in town you can do so by foot. massive alumni network. if i had to guess, i bet i've been on 150 college campuses in my life. IU-Bloomington is easily top five. Why wouldn't you want to play at indiana is a better question...it's a very special place.

I hear so much whining about the SBOR, but what is it everyone objects to so much, and how do you see it having any impact on our teams? The only facet I know about it is that it guarantees 4 years of an education if you come to IU to play a sport on scholly, right? Do you really think we're getting a bunch of no account kids who don't care about their sport and just want their education paid for? In the years since it was enacted, how many kids have left the bball team and are still pursuing their degree here? How many in any sports? Maybe it's more far-reaching than I know, but I really see it as a puff piece without much in the way of impact. If anything, I see it as a good selling point to parents of athletes, but these kids are all serious about their sports and want to play. I don't think it was in place when Mo Creek or Gelon left (maybe Gelon), but even they wanted to play elsewhere and not just take the education but not play. Tim Priller is the only kid I can think of, and oh yeah, he was on the team for all 4 years.
All the SBoR does is guarantee a kid that his education will be paid for if he gets cut from the team for reasons beyond his control. People blaming that for IU's poor basketball performance are idiots.

Knight went out of style to his demanding public, still demanding more.
Without question, but the issue wasn’t people complaining about Knight’s demand of accountability. People always wanted accountability from everyone, including Knight. Unfortunately, he demanded it from everyone but himself, and his tactics became less and less palatable as his unwillingness to hold himself to the standards he espoused became more evident. In other words, he didn’t practice what he preached, and his method of preaching became far less acceptable to most people.

Without question, but the issue wasn’t people complaining about Knight’s demand of accountability. People always wanted accountability from everyone, including Knight. Unfortunately, he demanded it from everyone but himself, and his tactics became less and less palatable as his unwillingness to hold himself to the standards he espoused became more evident. In other words, he didn’t practice what he preached, and his method of preaching became far less acceptable to most people.
The hundred dollar question then becomes, Why did his teaching tactics become less and less palatable and his method less acceptable through the years? What changed, other than the years to produce this now differing attitude towards this discipline of Knight’s nature? What was it that made his unwillingness to change from what he espoused more evident?

The hundred dollar question then becomes, Why did his teaching tactics become less and less palatable and his method less acceptable through the years? What changed, other than the years to produce this now differing attitude towards this discipline of Knight’s nature? What was it that made his unwillingness to change from what he espoused more evident?
Several things.

He wasn’t winning as much, so the things he did weren’t as excused as they were at one time.

Parents, many of whom played sports as kids, didn’t like someone treating their sons that way, and they realized there were plenty of alternatives.

The media was far more pervasive, providing a much greater view into the things Knight was actually doing. Knight would’ve never survived the Russ Brown or Kit Klinglehoffer incidents in the modern media world, but they were non events then.

And players had options. No longer did they have to accept Knight’s way of doing things. There were plenty of coaches who got great results but did so while managing their tempers and overall comportment.

Other coaches changed with the times. Teachers did, too. And parents. Almost everyone did, owing to the evolving norms and standards of society. Knight didn’t, and he was a dinosaur who became extinct.

Several things.

He wasn’t winning as much, so the things he did weren’t as excused as they were at one time.

Parents, many of whom played sports as kids, didn’t like someone treating their sons that way, and they realized there were plenty of alternatives.

The media was far more pervasive, providing a much greater view into the things Knight was actually doing. Knight would’ve never survived the Russ Brown or Kit Klinglehoffer incidents in the modern media world, but they were non events then.

And players had options. No longer did they have to accept Knight’s way of doing things. There were plenty of coaches who got great results but did so while managing their tempers and overall comportment.

Other coaches changed with the times. Teachers did, too. And parents. Almost everyone did, owing to the evolving norms and standards of society. Knight didn’t, and he was a dinosaur who became extinct.
Your final paragraph ought to be extracted and preserved for a rhetoric class as a wonderful example of how confused thinking can nonetheless written to the high levels asked of, say, advertising copy writers.

Your final paragraph ought to be extracted and preserved for a rhetoric class as a wonderful example of how confused thinking can nonetheless written to the high levels asked of, say, advertising copy writers.
“Confused thinking”? There’s scant evidence of f that.

Student Bill of Rights
Makes you untouchable and no accountability for success. A guaranteed 4 year scholarship irregardless of my effort or performance.

ADVERTISEMENT