ADVERTISEMENT

Why we didn't have a televised Spring Game

I’m glad they didn’t have anything open. Why? Because it cuts down on all the hype and rah-rah junk. Practice behind closed doors and then leave it a mystery. Go prove it on the field and win some fans.
Exactly- who cares. Keep head down, let new players and new coaches acclimate and come out during vs Illinois.

I don’t believe him.
Here’s the English translation on that:

“Last year was a black eye for our program and I’m very pissed about that! I’m pissed that our team didn’t work hard enough in the preseason last year and got full of themselves. So, to cut down on any of these guys thinking they might get a big head about all of this, I’m not going to give them the privilege to play in front of the fans or talking a bunch to the media. They don’t deserve it. We’re closing the doors. Block out all this outside noise. Put our heads down. Eat some humble pie. Leave it in the family. Shut out this noise. Oh, and by the way, I know we aren’t nearly as good as I think we can be and I’m not giving up one iota of any potential edge we can have on anybody in this league.”

Here’s the English translation on that:

“Last year was a black eye for our program and I’m very pissed about that! I’m pissed that our team didn’t work hard enough in the preseason last year and got full of themselves. So, to cut down on any of these guys thinking they might get a big head about all of this, I’m not going to give them the privilege to play in front of the fans or talking a bunch to the media. They don’t deserve it. We’re closing the doors. Block out all this outside noise. Put our heads down. Eat some humble pie. Leave it in the family. Shut out this noise. Oh, and by the way, I know we aren’t nearly as good as I think we can be and I’m not giving up one iota of any potential edge we can have on anybody in this league.”
Or demand.

I don’t know what point you were trying to make. I just know you didn’t make it. LOL.
Simple. You took a cheap shot at IU's lack of fan-demand for a televised spring game, and I simply pointed out the irony/hypocrisy in your taking it.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 76-1
Doesn’t sound like Allen is very bullish on the chances of a good season. Hiding out to beat the Illini? Ok. Say that works, although I have my doubts. You have a gimmie and then all the cards are on the table anyway. If he wants to keep the players from playing in front of fans he is going in the right direction.

Doesn’t sound like Allen is very bullish on the chances of a good season. Hiding out to beat the Illini? Ok. Say that works, although I have my doubts. You have a gimmie and then all the cards are on the table anyway. If he wants to keep the players from playing in front of fans he is going in the right direction.
Who says Ill is a gimme? They proved they can play in the Penn St. game last year. They also have the opportunity to improve. IU was winless in the Big Ten last year. There are no gummies For this team. I will take anything CTA can do to help IU get that first win Thank you.

Who says Ill is a gimme? They proved they can play in the Penn St. game last year. They also have the opportunity to improve. IU was winless in the Big Ten last year. There are no gummies For this team. I will take anything CTA can do to help IU get that first win Thank you.
Illinois is definitely not a gimme. Teams better be ready to tackle when they play the Illini.

"gummies" would not help for sure and there will be no gimmies for this team that has too many new parts and pieces. Obviously a killer recruiting class but all of this has to be assimilated with new coaches and systems.

I wasn’t saying Illinois is a gimmie, I was speaking of Idaho. Illinois is going to be strong on both lines of scrimmage and they are going to line up and be very physical. So what I’m saying is if we lose that game we then have a gimmie the next game and then but the rest we have already shown what we have probably week 1. So you have deprived the fan base of a spring peek for nothing. Even if we win the first game i am not a big fan of this way of thinking.

Reactions: vesuvius13
And even that level of demand commanded a televised spring practice. LOL.
Well, to be fair, the BTN shows up at every spring game if there is one and the program allows it. It’s not like the Black and Gold game was something that networks were lining up around the block to get their hooks in. It’s televised because it’s part of the BTN group of schools.

IU, Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin didn’t have a spring game this year.

All that matters starts with Illinois opener, and I’m going to keep the faith that the players are hungry and working hard. And that the three new offensive coaches, led by our new OC, will be working hard and get back some of the IU mojo. I truly believe the defense will be able to compete with most, and it’s having an equivalent offense that will make the season a success.

All that matters starts with Illinois opener, and I’m going to keep the faith that the players are hungry and working hard. And that the three new offensive coaches, led by our new OC, will be working hard and get back some of the IU mojo. I truly believe the defense will be able to compete with most, and it’s having an equivalent offense that will make the season a success.
I hope the players have learned their lesson from last season and work as hard as possible to be the best team and players they can be. Get ready for Illinois, win that game to get the season off to a good start. I am hoping to see a much better offense than last season along with a very good defense and STs to challenge our opponents every game.

I was thinking it was a gimme for Illinois.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT