ADVERTISEMENT

Why We ALL Should Wear a Mask

Someone arguing with a resident of another country about what that country is like is kinda batshit crazy. It's like the POTUS lecturing Dr. Fauci on infectious disease practices.

No worries. I am used to arguing with 80-90y.o people. You need to repeat the same thing many times in the hope that it will osmosise at some point. Pretty standard procedure for folks that age.

Thak god I don't HV to be actually talking becoz then I would need to verbally repeat myself. Plus he maybe hard of hearing at that age. That's my biggest pet peeve.

I am just happy some one that old is on the internet.

No worries. I am used to arguing with 80-90y.o people. You need to repeat the same thing many times in the hope that it will osmosise at some point. Pretty standard procedure for folks that age.

Thak god I don't HV to be actually talking becoz then I would need to verbally repeat myself. Plus he maybe hard of hearing at that age. That's my biggest pet peeve.

I am just happy some one that old is on the internet.
What makes you think what he is saying doesn’t apply to YOU lecturing us? No, I’m not 80-90...no where close. Be careful, I may turn you into your authorities for elder abuse and get a front row seat to YOUR justice.

Oh, and I'm new here. Heard it was a lot more civil than the GBI GD forum.
The legal system is a bit like the menu form you find is some states like Minnesota, Pennsylvania. At certain speeds over the limit, you pay a fixed fee. 10mph over the limit its XXX.

Here it's the same for crimes. It's quite boring for judges really.

And spitting or whatever you made up isn't on that list. Its very clear that when you enter the country and when you fill-up the immigration form, there is a big statement that you will face a death penalty for drug trafficking. That and murder are the two capital punishments I can think of.

Incest, sexual abuse and assault (and that will vary) will get you the cane.

Incest, sexual abuse and assault (and that will vary) will get you the cane

Across the Ohio River (in Kentucky), they just make you a Kentucky Colonel...JK, sort of...;)

Reactions: sglowrider
Lashing are done in prison for rape, etc.Unless you think the whole country is a prison then that's a different discussion.

The legal system here is cruel no doubt but when you look at the crime rates, the murder rates (60-70 murders a year) and the mass shooting (ZERO, NEVER).

I know which I prefer.

Lets face the facts hack, you don't know every much about this country and yet you are making wild statements as those they are gospel. Its another whataboutism -- many countries are managing it much better than the US and yet you are unwilling to look into the mirror why.
Wait a minute, you’re advocating for a justice system that doesn’t allow jury trials and still canes people? Really?

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Wait a minute, you’re advocating for a justice system that doesn’t allow jury trials and still canes people? Really?

Each judicial system has their pros and cons and I am certainly not some legal historian nor scholar. What matters ultimately is the result.

You want to discuss that?

Each judicial system has their pros and cons and I am certainly not some legal historian nor scholar. What matters ultimately is the result.

You want to discuss that?
The Taliban had the same results too.... so does Iran. Let’s hear from the resident spammer about how good it is. I wonder what they have in common?

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
The Taliban had the same results too.... so does Iran. Let’s hear from the resident spammer about how good it is. I wonder what they have in common?

giphy.gif

Reactions: DrHoops
https://www.foxnews.com/science/coronavirus-infections-plunge-80-percent-wore-masks

You can read the original Abstract if you click on "research" (highlighted within the article)...

It's worth a look.
Not peer reviewed, and no consensus, by far.

Simon Clarke, associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, told The Guardian that the report “falls short of delivering new evidence and too casually dismisses precautionary principle when addressing the possibility that masks and coverings could have negative effects on people’s behaviours.

“Until more evidence is delivered in either direction, that’s all advice can be based on – opinions,” he added.

Ben Killingley, consultant in acute medicine and infectious diseases at University College London hospital, also criticized the report.

“The report is overly optimistic about the value of face coverings and it is incorrect to conclude that the evidence shows that face covering can reduce viral transmission in the community,” he said. “There is in fact no good evidence that face coverings achieve this.”​

Not peer reviewed, and no consensus, by far.

Simon Clarke, associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, told The Guardian that the report “falls short of delivering new evidence and too casually dismisses precautionary principle when addressing the possibility that masks and coverings could have negative effects on people’s behaviours.

“Until more evidence is delivered in either direction, that’s all advice can be based on – opinions,” he added.

Ben Killingley, consultant in acute medicine and infectious diseases at University College London hospital, also criticized the report.

“The report is overly optimistic about the value of face coverings and it is incorrect to conclude that the evidence shows that face covering can reduce viral transmission in the community,” he said. “There is in fact no good evidence that face coverings achieve this.”​

Just reported what I had read.

Common Sense alone however should tell you that a mask can cut the droplet load being spewed out with every breath and/or cough...

I really don't grasp the mask phobia. This isn't a political issue (at least not in my mind) it seems to me it's simply a good manners issue...

I go along with wearing the mask partly as a symbol of solidarity. Not absolutely sure it helps.

I also realize others don't wear a mask as a symbol of not conforming to a scare being perpetuated by authorities with an agenda that runs contrary to their beliefs.

Let us face it, both sets of people are operating from gut feelings to a large extent.

I go along with wearing the mask partly as a symbol of solidarity. Not absolutely sure it helps.

I also realize others don't wear a mask as a symbol of not conforming to a scare being perpetuated by authorities with an agenda that runs contrary to their beliefs.

Let us face it, both sets of people are operating from gut feelings to a large extent.
The difference seems to be that if one group is wrong, they have the potential to infect a shit ton of people with a pesky virus that has been known to kill a few people.
The other group...not so much.

If your glasses have ever fogged up while wearing a mask, you have direct evidence that wearing a mask can have a benefit.

What is making your mask fog up is an aerosol of water vapor / water droplets from your exhaled breath. If you were infected with COVID-19, this aerosol could contain millions of virus particles. Wearing a mask confines this aerosol close to you face, such that your glasses fog over. No mask, your glasses would not fog over, because each breath launches the aerosol cloud much further from your body. The further from your body that the aerosol cloud goes, the greater the probability that the aerosol (and virus particles) can be breathed in by another person.

Just reported what I had read.

Common Sense alone however should tell you that a mask can cut the droplet load being spewed out with every breath and/or cough...

I really don't grasp the mask phobia. This isn't a political issue (at least not in my mind) it seems to me it's simply a good manners issue...
It's science. Six feet of separation is just as effective. The latest from the CDC reports very minimal risk of spread via surfaces, so if you care about me, back off. No need to wear a mask unless you can't help coughing or sneezing into the wind like a moran.

I am an adult and I have thought it through-- I dont like to wear them, they are uncomfortable, the benfit of using one is debateable, so in general I don't. If it makes people feel better, they should wear one, but save the shaming, etc and understand that's what it's about.

If your glasses have ever fogged up while wearing a mask, you have direct evidence that wearing a mask can have a benefit.

What is making your mask fog up is an aerosol of water vapor / water droplets from your exhaled breath. If you were infected with COVID-19, this aerosol could contain millions of virus particles. Wearing a mask confines this aerosol close to you face, such that your glasses fog over. No mask, your glasses would not fog over, because each breath launches the aerosol cloud much further from your body. The further from your body that the aerosol cloud goes, the greater the probability that the aerosol (and virus particles) can be breathed in by another person.
I would wear a mask inside a LTC facility, and where management requires, but let my face sans mask remind everyone to give me my 6 feet. TYVM.

I would wear a mask inside a LTC facility, and where management requires, but let my face sans mask remind everyone to give me my 6 feet. TYVM.

So when you walk through Wal Mart and stop to decide which flavor of chap stick will suit you today, you expect every other person to stop more than 6 feet from you and wait? That isn't my experience on how the world is working. I stopped to pick up carry out from a restaurant on Tuesday, every other table had tape around it. But people still walked back and forth along the aisles well within 6 feet.

We know masks work, or every doctor and nurse in America would have COVID. Now the question is, do lesser masks like cloth masks work. I linked an article the other day about why they work, a person exhaling exhales a whole lot of moisture that contains COVID. The moisture is in the form of very tiny droplets that quickly evaporate. So the infected person's mask catches those droplets before they shrink down to a size that can easily get through. No, they are not perfect. Seat belts aren't perfect but I suspect you wear one. Air bags aren't perfect, your car probably has them. Life vests aren't perfect, you probably use them out on a boat. surgeons aren't perfect, you probably have had surgeries, doctors aren't perfect, you probably go to a doctor.

The mask lowers the risk, doesn't eliminate it. Studies seem to indicate that viral load at infection is critical, the higher the viral load the more likely one is to have a problem. IF you are a super spreader and walk around with a mask and that mask just blocks 10% of the viral load, isn't that something?

Suck it up, wear a mask.I don't get why many of the people who were most adamant weeks ago that we need to open up NOW are the ones who say they won't wear a mask. If you want the economy as open as possible, you should wear a mask. The math is quite simple.

It's science. Six feet of separation is just as effective. The latest from the CDC reports very minimal risk of spread via surfaces, so if you care about me, back off. No need to wear a mask unless you can't help coughing or sneezing into the wind like a moran.

I am an adult and I have thought it through-- I dont like to wear them, they are uncomfortable, the benfit of using one is debateable, so in general I don't. If it makes people feel better, they should wear one, but save the shaming, etc and understand that's what it's about.

It seems clear that your personal comfort trumps your fellow citizens safety.

This just confirms what I suspected about those who wander around without a mask right now.

So when you walk through Wal Mart and stop to decide which flavor of chap stick will suit you today, you expect every other person to stop more than 6 feet from you and wait? That isn't my experience on how the world is working. I stopped to pick up carry out from a restaurant on Tuesday, every other table had tape around it. But people still walked back and forth along the aisles well within 6 feet.

We know masks work, or every doctor and nurse in America would have COVID. Now the question is, do lesser masks like cloth masks work. I linked an article the other day about why they work, a person exhaling exhales a whole lot of moisture that contains COVID. The moisture is in the form of very tiny droplets that quickly evaporate. So the infected person's mask catches those droplets before they shrink down to a size that can easily get through. No, they are not perfect. Seat belts aren't perfect but I suspect you wear one. Air bags aren't perfect, your car probably has them. Life vests aren't perfect, you probably use them out on a boat. surgeons aren't perfect, you probably have had surgeries, doctors aren't perfect, you probably go to a doctor.

The mask lowers the risk, doesn't eliminate it. Studies seem to indicate that viral load at infection is critical, the higher the viral load the more likely one is to have a problem. IF you are a super spreader and walk around with a mask and that mask just blocks 10% of the viral load, isn't that something?

Suck it up, wear a mask.I don't get why many of the people who were most adamant weeks ago that we need to open up NOW are the ones who say they won't wear a mask. If you want the economy as open as possible, you should wear a mask. The math is quite simple.
No offense to Hillz, but not only is it the people that blame the government for the economy, it's also the people that who claim to be the most patriotic. The people who post the most about their thankfulness of military sacrifice. The people who post how brave nurses are and how important first responders are.

We are all proud of our military, the nurses, and first responders. We aren't asking everyone to go fight a war in a foreign land. We aren't asking for them to save people from a bloody car crash, or to enter a hospital full of COVID-19. We are simply asking people to wear a mask to stop/slow the asymptomatic spread.

Hospital personnel and first responders wear a mask all day, everyday. We just need people to be 1/1000th as brave as a first responder. Sacrifice 1/1000th as much as our medical personnel. Given the ask, and the stakes, this just seems so petty and trivial to me.

The difference seems to be that if one group is wrong, they have the potential to infect a shit ton of people with a pesky virus that has been known to kill a few people.
The other group...not so much.
It’s called freedom of choice. Apply what you just said to you Party platform on abortion. If you are wrong when life starts you guys have done more harm than the big “H” ever dreamed of...

It seems clear that your personal comfort trumps your fellow citizens safety.

This just confirms what I suspected about those who wander around without a mask right now.

Does anyone like wearing a mask? I had my yearly physical this week, I asked both the nurse and nurse practitioner I see and both said they didn't like wearing a mask but of course they have to. I sure don't. Is there anyone out there thinking, "wow, this is great, I love my mask and I'm going to keep on even when we aren't in a pandemic"?

It’s called freedom of choice. Apply what you just said to you Party platform on abortion. If you are wrong when life starts you guys have done more harm than the big “H” ever dreamed of...

I think you're mixing me up with someone else .
I'm a conservative leaning, life long Independent who voted for Trump (not because I thought he was a great guy [he isn't] but because I could never vote for Hillary.

What I'm not is someone who mixes up basic public health standards with infringements on my personal freedom...

I think you're mixing me up with someone else .
I'm a conservative leaning, life long Independent who voted for Trump (not because I thought he was a great guy [he isn't] but because I could never vote for Hillary.

What I'm not is someone who mixes up basic public health standards with infringements on my personal freedom...
If you want to feel superior to me because you wear a mask consider that my gift to you. Also know that I'm mindful of touching my face and I cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze, and sanitize my hands frequently. I hope you respect my personal space if we happen to cross paths, as I will respect yours. If that isn't sufficient to put your mind at ease, then I recommend you stay home until you get vaccinated.

If you want to feel superior to me because you wear a mask consider that my gift to you. Also know that I'm mindful of touching my face and I cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze, and sanitize my hands frequently. I hope you respect my personal space if we happen to cross paths, as I will respect yours. If that isn't sufficient to put your mind at ease, then I recommend you stay home until you get vaccinated.

you-have-to-know-300x262.jpg

Honestly this paragraph sounds like it is coming from a toddler. Translation = WAH! I DON'T LIKE IT SO YOU CAN'T MAKE ME WEAR IT!!" It is the opposite of being an adult.

Honestly this paragraph sounds like it is coming from a toddler. Translation = WAH! I DON'T LIKE IT SO YOU CAN'T MAKE ME WEAR IT!!" It is the opposite of being an adult.
Stay home if you're uncomfortable with my choice, or be sure to stay 6 ft away. Also wash your hands, stop touching your face, and don't leave your rubber gloves on the ground, Sir Cares-a-lot.

Last edited:
The

The mask is for everyone elses benefit. Not wearing one just means your parents did a poor job in teaching you respect for others.
So you think doctors and nurses are wearing PPE to stop sick pple from catching doctor germs?

So you think doctors and nurses are wearing PPE to stop sick pple from catching doctor germs?
We were talking about the general public but yes it will protect the person wearing the PPE as well to some degree. The quality and quantity of the PPE differs from the general public to the professionals. Doctors, nurses and other first responders in close proximity to people with the virus wear the PPE to protect themselves, other patients, their families and you.

What an immature, insecure baby with zero redeeming qualities would say:

(CNN)President Donald Trump brought a navy blue mask stamped with the presidential seal to a Ford plant in Michigan on Thursday. But he refused to wear it in front of cameras.

"I didn't want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it," Trump said before showing off his fabric face covering, which he said he'd briefly strapped on backstage before removing for a tour of the factory. "It was very nice. It looked very nice. They said not necessary."

Reactions: cosmickid
We were talking about the general public but yes it will protect the person wearing the PPE as well to some degree. The quality and quantity of the PPE differs from the general public to the professionals. Doctors, nurses and other first responders in close proximity to people with the virus wear the PPE to protect themselves, other patients, their families and you.
Again, if I worked in a hospital and was risking that level of exposure, I'd wear the N95 and gown and face shields, like my wife does where she works. We don't wear them at the park. Or in Wal-Mart. Or the drive thru at Huckleberry s when we pick up breakfast on weekends. Instead, we practice good hygiene, particularly hand washing. Only because we care.

Again, if I worked in a hospital and was risking that level of exposure, I'd wear the N95 and gown and face shields, like my wife does where she works. We don't wear them at the park. Or in Wal-Mart. Or the drive thru at Huckleberry s when we pick up breakfast on weekends. Instead, we practice good hygiene, particularly hand washing. Only because we care.
Damn Hillz I’d wear a hazmat suit at Walmart if I owned one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT