ADVERTISEMENT

Why Long Game Perspective is Needed

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I'm NOT done with this season and fully hope and expect IU to hit 6 games (if not 7) and go bowling still. I really do. But after 3 losses to 3 very good teams we weren't favored to beat, many of same pessimists are ready to fire coach, fire AD, call IU worst team ever, nothing changes, etc.

After this season, assuming Allen keeps the current recruits and adds another 6-7 in same caliber (or a few higher) which I anticipate, then that will be 3 years of recruits next year he'll have brought in.

Imagine what hope will be a better OL next season with some seniors flanked possibly by the 6'7-6'8 guys ready to step in and start at tackles (and move Cronk to Martin's spot at guard).

Then let's say Penix is starting QB, with 2 springs, 2 summers and one season under his belt, RS FR with confidence and the starting job. Throwing to good WR's (Westbrook back, Whop, maybe a David Bell, but Fryfogle & R Taylor back too). TE Hendershot improving along with other young TEs. Sampson James as lead RB, with Scott/Walker/Gest/Pechac behind him for great depth. That could be a really potent offense loaded with talent.

Next year's Defense is again losing people on the DL (but this DL is still not world beaters.) There are some very good DE's returning (year older/bigger) and some big boys coming in the recruiting class along DL that will be providing depth likely behind Jerome Johnson & 3-4 FR this year who will also be year older/bigger. But the LB's and especially DB's have a lot of athletes returning who've gotten a ton of playing time. That back 7 should have a ton of depth to rotate of players who are a higher caliber athlete than in IU teams past.

Then likely next year IU will NOT have to play as many FR, just the top ones ready to step in now on talent or those who warrant time up to 4 games w/out losing RS.

That is how teams are built over a few seasons, not the quick fix turnaround. IU has better athletes already right now in the pipeline. Give them the next 2 seasons and think we'll be seeing a really, really different caliber team on the field given current and future talent that will be here.

I'm NOT done with this season and fully hope and expect IU to hit 6 games (if not 7) and go bowling still. I really do. But after 3 losses to 3 very good teams we weren't favored to beat, many of same pessimists are ready to fire coach, fire AD, call IU worst team ever, nothing changes, etc.

After this season, assuming Allen keeps the current recruits and adds another 6-7 in same caliber (or a few higher) which I anticipate, then that will be 3 years of recruits next year he'll have brought in.

Imagine what hope will be a better OL next season with some seniors flanked possibly by the 6'7-6'8 guys ready to step in and start at tackles (and move Cronk to Martin's spot at guard).

Then let's say Penix is starting QB, with 2 springs, 2 summers and one season under his belt, RS FR with confidence and the starting job. Throwing to good WR's (Westbrook back, Whop, maybe a David Bell, but Fryfogle & R Taylor back too). TE Hendershot improving along with other young TEs. Sampson James as lead RB, with Scott/Walker/Gest/Pechac behind him for great depth. That could be a really potent offense loaded with talent.

Next year's Defense is again losing people on the DL (but this DL is still not world beaters.) There are some very good DE's returning (year older/bigger) and some big boys coming in the recruiting class along DL that will be providing depth likely behind Jerome Johnson & 3-4 FR this year who will also be year older/bigger. But the LB's and especially DB's have a lot of athletes returning who've gotten a ton of playing time. That back 7 should have a ton of depth to rotate of players who are a higher caliber athlete than in IU teams past.

Then likely next year IU will NOT have to play as many FR, just the top ones ready to step in now on talent or those who warrant time up to 4 games w/out losing RS.

That is how teams are built over a few seasons, not the quick fix turnaround. IU has better athletes already right now in the pipeline. Give them the next 2 seasons and think we'll be seeing a really, really different caliber team on the field given current and future talent that will be here.
You said many of the things that I was thinking. So, I feel that I am in good company.

Good post. I am 100% with you here. All these people on here complaining so much must have never played the sport. They cannot realize what it is like out there on the field and the very thin margin between making the plays that are the difference between winning and losing. They cannot understand the impact that the youth has or the strength that will be gained by that youth over the next 3 or 4 years.

Stay with these guys. We will see this program continue to improve. It may take a year or even two to see it translate into more wins, but if they continue their striving for incremental improvement every day they will get better.

But from a fan perspective, they are fun to watch. Yes, they laid an egg with Iowa, and it was disappointing, but there are still a lot of games to watch this season. It is too bad that so many people cannot learn to enjoy watching them and get so miserable. I truly do feel sorry for these people. Even though I have to put them on ignore on here.

Reactions: Indianaftw

I’m not giving up on this season either, BUT ...

When I ask myself, “which players can lead this team to wins in 50-50 games” nobody comes to mind. I don’t see or hear that kind of player when I listen to interviews or the radio shows. I hear good kids, if not guys who can lead a charge in the 4th quarter.

I have zero idea who this team looks up to and would follow and respond to. Who performs and understands and leads?

The disadvantage of youth.

I like the 2019 roster with the exception of OL.

They have underperformed.

If they don’t get better, having to wait for newbies to get up to Big Ten East speed will lower the ceiling.

Good post. I am 100% with you here. All these people on here complaining so much must have never played the sport. They cannot realize what it is like out there on the field and the very thin margin between making the plays that are the difference between winning and losing. They cannot understand the impact that the youth has or the strength that will be gained by that youth over the next 3 or 4 years.

Stay with these guys. We will see this program continue to improve. It may take a year or even two to see it translate into more wins, but if they continue their striving for incremental improvement every day they will get better.

But from a fan perspective, they are fun to watch. Yes, they laid an egg with Iowa, and it was disappointing, but there are still a lot of games to watch this season. It is too bad that so many people cannot learn to enjoy watching them and get so miserable. I truly do feel sorry for these people. Even though I have to put them on ignore on here.
Thank you Walt what you say is so true. And I lik you can’t wait from Saturday to Saturday to watch them play. Yes I was disappointed with last weeks game I had truly underestimated Iowa’s offensive line without having seen them . I hope we can develop like that. That being said I am so envious of my brother who is flying up from Florida to go to the game on Saturday and I am stuck here. No matter the results I will still be anticipating the next game.

Reactions: Walt542 and Sassy61
When it comes to exactly who this team is, I must admit that more than any team in recent memory, I don't know who they are, what they are capable of accomplishing or whether or not they have enough talent to compete for wins in the B10.

But I do know this...they are my Alma Mater and I support them every game, win or lose. I love IU FB or I wouldn't be here, or give my money, or the time I gave in the past. Every game, no matter what my head or logic or Vegas tells us, I secretly believe we can win.

Sometimes it's hard to keep it going. Over the decades the ups and downs have taken their toll on patience and all the unnecessary losses has been like a pin prick bleeding out our enthusiasm and dreams.

But when game time comes, all that is put aside. From the first snap I root for a win to the last. Sometimes I'm rewarded, many times not. I watched my older friends, those now well into their 80s and 90's, many of them have just given up. Maybe one day I will too, but that isn't today. Hope does spring eternal for IU FB...though one day it may need to be inherited by younger fans than I. I wish I could see them on the horizon, but I don't.

Get behind our staff and team...Homecoming crowd was an abysmal failure...if that's the best we can do, do we deserve a winning team? PSU will be a very tough nut to crack...but it can be done. Lets come together and root for a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
A lot of fans tend to be fickle. Many like to complain and criticize. This isn't unique to IU and, as I opined in another thread, criticism is better than apathy.

I think the thing that generated all the angst last weekend was not the fact that we lost, but the way we lost. We were never in a game that most thought would be competitive. Missed tackles and sloppy play on defense were reminiscent of years past. Our overall performance was, in my opinion, the worst in the Tom Allen era.

I don't expect a W this Saturday, but I'm hoping to see the same spirited team that showed up for the OSU game, not the team that played last Saturday. I want to know that the Iowa game was an aberration and not a forewarning of bad things.

Win six. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Walt542
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT