ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Trump against voting by mail?

Voter registration is is way, way down. The lockdowns and inability to canvass is hugely keeping the potential for a large turnout to be low, even with vote by mail. Voter suppression is only going to make it worse.

The mail fraud argument that Trump is putting out there, is him trying to get the election delayed or trying to sow the seeds of a huge fraud claim when he loses to Biden. But whichever it seems part of a plan to keep him in office beyond Jan 2021.

I am pretty sure that if Biden gets a narrow win he will not concede. Then he'll take it to the SC.

Last edited:
Yeah, conventional wisdom is that there are more democrats than Republicans, however Republicans are much more inclined to vote.

So, Republicans are not huge fans of making voting easy.

I believe they've only won one presidential popular vote in the past 30 years (Bush Jr's 2nd term) so yeah, they are all about dat electoral collage and not making it easy to vote....I mean they are worried about voter fraud.

Bwaa haaa haaa haaaa! That's a good one.

I am pretty sure that if Biden gets a narrow win he will not concede. Then he'll take it to the SC.
That's bad news since the Pubs have the majority in the SC. Besides, didn't Trump put in a couple of them there?

Last edited:
I'm voting by mail this week in the primary. Something that Indiana greatly encouraged. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same in the fall. Amazingly Trump hasn't bothered complaining about Indiana voting by mail. :rolleyes:
Because Indiana is a Republican state?

Reactions: Bill4411
Studies I've seen suggest that voting by mail advantages neither party. It's just the right thing to do during a pandemic.

Since I actually believe that Trump is a mentally unfit imbecile, I never worry what his strategery is, because I don't believe he's capable of either forming one or following one. He's just a lunatic ignoramus being triggered by what he sees on his TV. Call me crazy, but my view that he's crazy explains everything. The only thing that confuses me is that so many don't see it.

Studies I've seen suggest that voting by mail advantages neither party. It's just the right thing to do during a pandemic.

Since I actually believe that Trump is a mentally unfit imbecile, I never worry what his strategery is, because I don't believe he's capable of either forming one or following one. He's just a lunatic ignoramus being triggered by what he sees on his TV. Call me crazy, but my view that he's crazy explains everything. The only thing that confuses me is that so many don't see it.

The most obvious answers are usually the correct ones.

Maybe because there are many crazy people in the US? Why else would they adore this crazy man?

I'm voting by mail this week in the primary. Something that Indiana greatly encouraged. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same in the fall. Amazingly Trump hasn't bothered complaining about Indiana voting by mail. :rolleyes:

what is the Indiana protocol for verification of the voter and ballot? Colorado is a vote by mail state and I think it’s excellent with ballot security. I don’t have any objection if all states use Colorado’s system. The problem is that I think it would be difficult to get a system up and running in time if a state is starting from scratch.

what is the Indiana protocol for verification of the voter and ballot? Colorado is a vote by mail state and I think it’s excellent with ballot security. I don’t have any objection if all states use Colorado’s system. The problem is that I think it would be difficult to get a system up and running in time if a state is starting from scratch.
What is Colorado's system?

Why do you think Trump is dead-set against it?

Why do you think Trump is dead-set against it?

Trump focused on California based on the comment I read about. Newsom ordered vote by mail by executive order. That’s dumb, dumb, dumb. I can’t imagine what kind of system you can have without any legislation. As far as California is concerned, I think Trump was correct.

We are just using the absentee ballot system that's always been allowed. Request one online (or by mail).... they mail you one, you sign the envelope and mail it back.. or drop it off at the voting centers.

Last edited:
We are just using the absentee ballot system that's always been allowed. Request one online (or by mail).... they mail you one, you sign the envelope and mail it back.

How does signature verification work? That’s the key to the whole shebang. Maybe for a handful of absentee ballots, verification can be the old fashioned way. Do hanging chads ring a bell? To apply absentee rules to an entire general election would be a disaster.

How does signature verification work? That’s the key to the whole shebang. Maybe for a handful of absentee ballots, verification can be the old fashioned way. Do hanging chads ring a bell? To apply absentee rules to an entire general election would be a disaster.

The ballots are sacntron type where you fill in the circle with a pen.

Signature verification? No clue. You sign the thing. I guess they have access to your signature from your voter registration to compare it with. How is that different than signing the voter book at the polls?

Reactions: Bill4411
Trump focused on California based on the comment I read about. Newsom ordered vote by mail by executive order. That’s dumb, dumb, dumb. I can’t imagine what kind of system you can have without any legislation. As far as California is concerned, I think Trump was correct.
As far as I can remember, you've been saying that Trump is always correct. Tell us something new and worthwhile. You are a smart man; I am sure you can do it.
I am waiting.

As far as I can remember, you've been saying that Trump is always correct. Tell us something new and worthwhile. You are a smart man; I am sure you can do it.
I am waiting.

Maybe you’d like to explain the California system that isn’t done by legislation?

Edit: I have never posted that Trump is always correct. I have said he was correct several times, but those times are by no means every time.

Last edited:
The ballots are sacntron type where you fill in the circle with a pen.

Signature verification? No clue. You sign the thing. I guess they have access to your signature from your voter registration to compare it with. How is that different than signing the voter book at the polls?

I think the Colorado mail system is more secure than signing a voter book at the polls. As I said, the Colorado system operates like a voter ID system but even better than that.

Edit: When I vote, I get three emails. One that my ballot is in the mail to me. Second that my returned ballot has been received. And third that my ballot was accepted and counted. I don’t know how the system works if you don’t have an email address. The signature verification works by algorithms. My signature deteriorated over the years. I’m very careful with it and I haven’t had a ballot rejected yet.

Last edited:

Indiana's vote by mail is by executive fiat. The legislature was not in session when COVID struck and the primary was first delayed and then the rules on who could request absentee ballots was waived. The legislature will not be in session before November either.

The Texas lawsuits are going to be interesting. Texas has similar laws to Indiana on who can request an absentee ballot. In Texas, being over 65 is always a valid reason. So are health conditions such as immobility. Democrats are trying to force fear of COVID into the mix.

Reactions: Ladoga
The mail fraud argument that Trump is putting out there, is him trying to get the election delayed or trying to sow the seeds of a huge fraud claim when he loses to Biden. But whichever it seems part of a plan to keep him in office beyond Jan 2021.

Maybe you’d like to explain the California system that isn’t done by legislation?

Edit: I have never posted that Trump is always correct. I have said he was correct several times, but those times are by no means every time.
Sorry, my mistake.
No, you have never posted that Trump is always correct; You are also right that you never said he is correct every time.
Almost every time is what I meant and what you said. If you disagree, I can search the web, but it will be very time-consuming.

Reactions: sglowrider
I think the Colorado mail system is more secure than signing a voter book at the polls. As I said, the Colorado system operates like a voter ID system but even better than that.

Edit: When I vote, I get three emails. One that my ballot is in the mail to me. Second that my returned ballot has been received. And third that my ballot was accepted and counted. I don’t know how the system works if you don’t have an email address. The signature verification works by algorithms. My signature deteriorated over the years. I’m very careful with it and I haven’t had a ballot rejected yet.
Does receiving an email make it more secure?

Also Indiana has voter ID laws as well.

Does receiving an email make it more secure?

Also Indiana has voter ID laws as well.

The emails do make voting more secure. Ballots are bar coded. If I don’t receive my ballot I can make sure my ballot isn’t voted by a mail thief. If the election officials don’t receive my ballot, I can remedy that and if my ballot isn’t accepted I can remedy that also.

I don’t know how voter ID laws work with a mail system. You would need at ID system that works like Colorado’s.

Your link doesn't say anything about the process. You insist Colorado's signature verification is somehow more "robust." How?

In addition, below is how this site (https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/verification-of-absentee-ballots.aspx) describes Colorado's law:

Note: Colorado sends a mail ballot to all eligible voters for every election.

In every mail ballot election an election judge shall compare the signature on the self-affirmation on each return envelope with the signature of the eligible elector stored in the statewide voter registration system. If the election judge determines the signatures do not match, two other election judges of different political party affiliations shall simultaneously compare the signatures. If both other election judges agree that the signatures do not match, the county clerk and recorder shall send to the eligible elector a letter explaining the discrepancy in signatures and a form for the eligible elector to confirm that the elector returned a ballot to the county clerk and recorder. If the county clerk and recorder receives the form within eight days after election day confirming that the elector returned a ballot to the county clerk and recorder and enclosing a copy of the elector's identification as defined in section 1-1-104(19.5), and if the ballot is otherwise valid, the ballot shall be counted. If the eligible elector returns the form indicating that the elector did not return a ballot to the county clerk and recorder, or if the eligible elector does not return the form within eight days after election day, the self-affirmation on the return envelope shall be categorized as incorrect, the ballot shall not be counted, and the county clerk and recorder shall send copies of the eligible elector's signature on the return envelope and the signature stored in the statewide voter registration system to the district attorney for investigation.
There is no fancy algorithm, from the CO Secretary of State's office (https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/policyManual/ElectionsPolicyManual.pdf):

Signature Verification Judges: A signature verification judge is a regular judge that has been assigned by the clerk to conduct signature verification. Each signature verification judge must complete a training course provided by or approved by the Secretary of State. The county clerk is prohibited from acting as a signature verification judge. In addition, some counties may not use regular staff as signature verification judges. See Election Rules 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, and 6.8 for further information.​

Indiana's vote by mail for this delayed Primary Election is a temporary matter. We don't know what the situation will be in November. Currently, a voter can choose to vote in person on election day in their precinct, vote early in person in days prior to an election date - early voting for the primary started at centralized locations yesterday, vote absentee by mail if request deadlines are met - over now. The ballot security issue is critical in vote by mail states. 200,000 blank ballots were sent, in Clark County, Nevada (Las Vegas), to people who the election commissioner had already purged. The Clark Co. Commissioners (large majority Democrat) ordered the election commissioner to send them out - they got sent. Now there are 200,000 loose ballot floating around Las Vegas. You can look it up. That's a great reason to not allow mail in voting. There are cases of a variety of abuses around the country. Any system that allows mail voting MUST eliminate the slightest possibility that you could vote twice, that someone could vote under your name, or that thousands of ballots get "harvested" by 3rd persons and voted or that 3rd persons go to registered voters and "help" them prepare their ballot.
There is one reason Democrats are advocating for mail elections - so they can cheat and steal elections. Not that no Republican has ever cheated on mail ballots. Its happened, but the Dems want to make it their common tool.

In addition, below is how this site (https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/verification-of-absentee-ballots.aspx) describes Colorado's law:

Note: Colorado sends a mail ballot to all eligible voters for every election.

In every mail ballot election an election judge shall compare the signature on the self-affirmation on each return envelope with the signature of the eligible elector stored in the statewide voter registration system. If the election judge determines the signatures do not match, two other election judges of different political party affiliations shall simultaneously compare the signatures. If both other election judges agree that the signatures do not match, the county clerk and recorder shall send to the eligible elector a letter explaining the discrepancy in signatures and a form for the eligible elector to confirm that the elector returned a ballot to the county clerk and recorder. If the county clerk and recorder receives the form within eight days after election day confirming that the elector returned a ballot to the county clerk and recorder and enclosing a copy of the elector's identification as defined in section 1-1-104(19.5), and if the ballot is otherwise valid, the ballot shall be counted. If the eligible elector returns the form indicating that the elector did not return a ballot to the county clerk and recorder, or if the eligible elector does not return the form within eight days after election day, the self-affirmation on the return envelope shall be categorized as incorrect, the ballot shall not be counted, and the county clerk and recorder shall send copies of the eligible elector's signature on the return envelope and the signature stored in the statewide voter registration system to the district attorney for investigation.
There is no fancy algorithm, from the CO Secretary of State's office (https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/policyManual/ElectionsPolicyManual.pdf):

Signature Verification Judges: A signature verification judge is a regular judge that has been assigned by the clerk to conduct signature verification. Each signature verification judge must complete a training course provided by or approved by the Secretary of State. The county clerk is prohibited from acting as a signature verification judge. In addition, some counties may not use regular staff as signature verification judges. See Election Rules 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, and 6.8 for further information.​

Signature verification devices are permissible under Colorado law. Not all countries use them.

Signature verification devices are permissible under Colorado law. Not all countries use them.

But the Colorado law does not require them. Under Colorado law, there are no systems bur an election worker receiving extra training. Some local systems may do more, but under state law a person with training is all that is required.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT