ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Penix so highly regarded on this board?

Ramsey 25TDS 18 interceptions and back to back 5-7 records.This is the time to use the most talent IU has ever had at QB go for it what’s the worst could happen 4-2 start.Then have one of your most talented 4 star QBS with game experience to go win games not manage losses.

JMHO...Penix seems to make a quicker decision while in the pocket. He doesn't hold onto the ball OR lockdown on one receiver. He also seems comfortable and doesn't get rattled but will hang onto it and take a hit. When he does deliver the ball it has zing and gets there quick. Sometimes the receivers are just coming out of breaks and the ball is there.

For a true freshman last year I was just surprised by how composed he looked. Not rattled. His arm is mind blowing though, he has a rifle. Once this kid gets settled he will be dangerous. He needs to learn how to slide and not take hits.

Also I like his read option off the line better than Peyton. More magician like which is exactly how the great QB's run the option.

Anyways I was impressed watching this kid and watching him live. When Deboer says he has the "IT" factor you can see it.

Nothing against Peyton but I think Penix can take us further. Its up for debate though. This is Peyton's 3rd year so how much can he improve? Jury's out.

I think people see Penix as having more upside, & I would have to agree. Ramsey's arm strength is such that in order to be a high end college QB he needs to be extremely accurate, a good decision maker, & a leader. He's decent in those areas, but doesn't excel, & therefore we're just kinda' so so in the passing game under Ramsey. He's had some good games, some not so good. My biggest issue with him is him not seeing the field. The Rutgers game last season--he missed SO many big plays by just not seeing open receivers. Very costly that day, & the main reason we looked so bad despite winning a road game. Hopefully that will improve, but that's the type of thing that a kid usually has or doesn't, like arm strength.

Ramsey 25TDS 18 interceptions and back to back 5-7 records.This is the time to use the most talent IU has ever had at QB go for it what’s the worst could happen 4-2 start.Then have one of your most talented 4 star QBS with game experience to go win games not manage losses.
And yet there is a real possibility that he could get beaten out for the second straight year. And 2 different offensive coordinators. Does no one else think it is odd? Again no matter who wins the jo b wish them luck.

Rs

Reactions: vesuvius13
Why Penix?
Because he has more talent and upside.
Because not going to a bowl under Allen sucks.
Because 5-7, 4-8 is a losing record.
If IU football wants to never change then go with the same players that got IU a losing record, year, after year, after year.
When you want to win you make a change for the long term better.
If the Patriots had stuck with Drew Bledsoe then Tom Brady would still be on the sidelines and the Patriots would have never won any championships.
Play your most talented players, regardless of class. This isn't high school where Seniors have earned their time. There is something to be said for experience when the talent level is equal, but when the talent level is not equal, you go down fighting with your most talented players on the field. IU needs to take the step to get to a bowl, then more talent will come, go to another bowl, and even more talent will come, win a bowl and now you have a pattern of success and IU rises out of the depths of the B1G and finally becomes competitive. 5-7 is not competitive, 4-8 is not competitive. Competitive is a winning record in the B1G, not 1-8, 2-7 in the B1G. Competitive in the B1G not just against mid-majors. It is time to win a bowl game on National TV where recruits see IU win and want to come to IU to build it further.

Last edited:
Folks are ready to find out if Penix is the real deal or not. PR is as I described earlier...a solid leader and backup. Wont hurt you much but won't win many big games for you. Normal pre season hope.
You either have hope, or you are content with 5-7, 4-8. No change. No Bowl. Again.

Reactions: boston jamie
Because after two seasons PR really never looked the part. I'm not sure if Penix can manage 6 win, but i don't have alot of confidence in PR getting there. Ramsey is a solid player that just can't make all the throws. We all just want better resaults no matter who plays.
Correct. 50 years of losing and mediocrity are wearing thin on the patience. Be bold, play the best talent and go down fighting at least.

His numbers from last year looked a bit skewed since he really only played against the weaker non-conference portion of the schedule.

2 drives/2 scores vs FIU
4-5 vs. Ball State
10-20 and a frozen rope versus Penn State

Increased INTs by Ramsey last season

Losses last year to Penn State and Minnesota and Pee Ewe with Ramsey

Everybody loves No. 2

Anticipation of the possible versus knowledge of the actual

2 drives/2 scores vs FIU
4-5 vs. Ball State
10-20 and a frozen rope versus Penn State

Increased INTs by Ramsey last season

Losses last year to Penn State and Minnesota and Pee Ewe with Ramsey

Everybody loves No. 2

Anticipation of the possible versus knowledge of the actual
The actual was a losing record.
Unacceptable.

And yet there is a real possibility that he could get beaten out for the second straight year. And 2 different offensive coordinators. Does no one else think it is odd? Again no matter who wins the jo b wish them luck.

Rs
Yes
Root for whoever plays.
Coaches get paid to make decisions.
This is the Talking Season, not the Regular Season yet. I am tired of losing. I am tired of PU coworkers "decorating" my office in Black and Gold like a funeral every year PU wins the Bucket.

Your missing point rsFreshman with 4 games of experience at The Ohio State they don’t sit talent they play it.

Who the hell are these people showing up on this board, lmao! He still has 3 years eligibility right? This isn't basketball and a young QB doesn't get to start because he has a (way) higher ceiling.

Last edited:
Who the hell are these people showing up on this board, lmao! He still has 3 years eligibility right? This isn't basketball and a young QB doesn't get to start because he has a (way) higher ceiling.
Enjoy another losing season then with your veteran.

I hope you are right, but I'm not convinced without playing the best talent.

Serious question - why do so many IU fans presume to be better judges of talent than IU coaches?

I see the same arm on Penix, but I don’t automatically conclude he’s the odds on/no question best starter. I can argue for it - I can argue against it. I remember people questioning Knights player choices. Etc. What am I missing?

"My" veteran? No where did I state Penix wouldn't win the starting job. I will defer to the coaches who are with those guys every day.
Fair enough. Coaches see them every day.
Coaches have to know their jobs could be on the line if they never go to a bowl, I would think that would add more urgency to their decision making process.

Serious question - why do so many IU fans presume to be better judges of talent than IU coaches?

I see the same arm on Penix, but I don’t automatically conclude he’s the odds on/no question best starter. I can argue for it - I can argue against it. I remember people questioning Knights player choices. Etc. What am I missing?
What if the Colts would have taken Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning?

So happy to hear we have same talent as Ohio State and we play Penix we should be playing in Indy in December.
Playing in one of the 30 or 40 bowl games is different than playing in the Rose Bowl. Just getting to a bowl game would be a major accomplishment at this point in time and would build positive momentum.

A quicker release and a much stronger arm means the ball gets to the receiver quicker before a defender has a chance to close. If it gets there in stride it's an explosive play. We need explosive plays.

His numbers from last year looked a bit skewed since he really only played against the weaker non-conference portion of the schedule.

Yes
Root for whoever plays.
Coaches get paid to make decisions.
This is the Talking Season, not the Regular Season yet. I am tired of losing. I am tired of PU coworkers "decorating" my office in Black and Gold like a funeral every year PU wins the Bucket.
So you got to do the same for 4 years in a row right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT