ADVERTISEMENT

Why do you think IU couldn't recruit QBs, RBs or WRs

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I am talking about this season. Thank god UAB dropped football so we could get Howard. Thank god UConn's coaching changes created such a dumpster fire that Lagow ended up going JC route instead.

I am talking about highly recruited freshman skill position players not wanting to come to IU for four years as student-athletes. With all of the positive changes that have occurred on Wilson and John's watch, why could they not bring anybody in? Zero commitments as of the day IU and CKW parted ways.

I am talking about this season. Thank god UAB dropped football so we could get Howard. Thank god UConn's coaching changes created such a dumpster fire that Lagow ended up going JC route instead.

I am talking about highly recruited freshman skill position players not wanting to come to IU for four years as student-athletes. With all of the positive changes that have occurred on Wilson and John's watch, why could they not bring anybody in? Zero commitments as of the day IU and CKW parted ways.
IU had a highly recruited player at a position of need try to commit in the Fall only to be told he was no longer wanted because they were after someone else. When someone else committed to another school, highly recruited player at a position of need told them to piss off. Life in the Big Ten.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Since they have been 7 years old or so everybody has been telling them that they will be or are the best and will be a first round NFL draft choice. And they actually are naive enough to believe that baloney.

IU had a highly recruited player at a position of need try to commit in the Fall only to be told he was no longer wanted because they were after someone else. When someone else committed to another school, highly recruited player at a position of need told them to piss off. Life in the Big Ten.
Like you said,that is life in the B10, it's no different at IU than it is anywhere else.

Its funny... And telling... That no one - not a single poster - can answer the OPs question.

The best you can come up with is a discussion on "a bag of d!cks? Hilarious.

If you can't figure this out, then you collectively have zero football IQ.

Its funny... And telling... That no one - not a single poster - can answer the OPs question.

The best you can come up with is a discussion on "a bag of d!cks? Hilarious.

If you can't figure this out, then you collectively have zero football IQ.
Wilson was a barrier to bringing in highly rated quarterbacks. He had a reputation for pushing too hard, for having a quick hook, and for not being as much a teacher as he was a tactician. Now that you have your answer, will you please leave?

Reactions: CC Mac

I have wondered if there might have been an issue with Johns' ability to recruit. QB recruiting has always seemed to be lacking, and while WR recruiting was decent, it has never been great, and several of the better WR's in the last few classes (Cobbs, Westbrook, Morris) I don't had Johns as their primary recruiter. This year, it seemed like we had been pursuing and perhaps trying to hold out for better recruits. Which perhaps suggests Wilson may have been making Johns' job contingent on elevating his recruiting haul.

It started and ended with Wilson.

But we did get Camion Patrick, who if ever healthy, will be the best player at IU offensively since ARE.

The lack of a solid QB really was on Wilson. RB and WR I think we've done pretty well with. Coleman and Howard were excellent snags. People dog Redding all the time, but he's got back to back 1000 yard seasons which isn't too shabby. At WR we've got Westbrook and Cobbs and both will be drafted. We signed Morris and Mack last year and both of them are excellent prospects.

So I can see the beef at QB, but really not anywhere else.

Now as of this year, Wilson wasn't even going to take a QB until he changed his mind midyear! So we got a late jump at that spot. We are only going to take one RB and Wilson wanted a Coleman type, but Allen has changed that to more of a scat back desire, so again, we got in late with kids there. We are only taking 2 WRs and so far our top choices.....Corralas and Phylor are still uncommitted.

So we got late jumps, changed philosophies, and aren't really taking too many, so until the ink dries on the letters of intent, I'm content to take a wait and see approach. I think we will get some good prospects, and now that the staff is settled in, we will see a much bigger push for 2018 kids. IU has normally done it's best recruiting work in June and January. Let's see what this month produces.

Last edited:

But we did get Camion Patrick, who if ever healthy, will be the best player at IU offensively since ARE.

The lack of a solid QB really was on Wilson. RB and WR I think we've done pretty well with. Coleman and Howard were excellent snags. People dog Redding all the time, but he's got back to back 1000 yard seasons which isn't too shabby. At WR we've got Westbrook and Cobbs and both will be drafted. We signed Morris and Mack last year and both of them are excellent prospects.

Now as of this year, Wilson wasn't even going to take a QB until he changed his mind midyear! So we got a late jump at that spot. We are only going to take one RB and Wilson wanted a Coleman type, but Allen has changed that to more of a scat back desire, so again, we got in late with kids there. We are only taking 2 WRs and so far our top choices.....Corralas and Phylor are still uncommitted.

So we got late jumps, changed philosophies, and aren't really taking too many, so until the ink dries on the letters of intent, I'm content to take a wait and see approach. I think we will get some good prospects, and now that the staff is settled in, we will see a much bigger push for 2018 kids. IU has normally done it's best recruiting work in June and January. Let's see what this month produces.
I'm not as high on Cobbs and Westbrook as you, they have good size, good but not great athletes without top end speed. Those types aren't a dime a dozen but they aren't rare commodities either

What do you see in them that you didn't see in undrafted Kofi Hughes?

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Howard fell in IU's lap because UAB dropped their program. Transfer students are brought in to fill holes. My question is why h

Camion Patrick is also a Juco transfer. IU get shots at these guys because top tier programs are already loaded up.

My question was why couldn't CKW/CKJ recruit freshman running backs and quarterbacks? More specifically quarterbacks.

Howard fell in IU's lap because UAB dropped their program. Transfer students are brought in to fill holes. My question is why h

Camion Patrick is also a Juco transfer. IU get shots at these guys because top tier programs are already loaded up.

My question was why couldn't CKW/CKJ recruit freshman running backs and quarterbacks? More specifically quarterbacks.
They recruited several quarterbacks. They just coveted the wrong one and it blew up on them. All moot once Wilson was fired anyway.

I'm not as high on Cobbs and Westbrook as you, they have good size, good but not great athletes without top end speed. Those types aren't a dime a dozen but they aren't repairs commodities either

Westbrook and Cobbs are both in the 6"3-6"4 range and can run around a 4.5-4.6. The same goes for Mack and Morris. IU has some nice talent on the outside. I'd like a few more 4.4-4.3 40 guys as well. We need a little more explosion.

I'm not as high on Cobbs and Westbrook as you, they have good size, good but not great athletes without top end speed. Those types aren't a dime a dozen but they aren't rare commodities either

Honestly? Westbrook and Cobbs have NFL talent. Scouts like them. They won't be first round picks but they can play due to size and route ability.

Kofi was a good WR but not great at one thing. I don't recall his speed numbers but I just don't think he ever found anything professionally where he fit.

Honestly? Westbrook and Cobbs have NFL talent. Scouts like them. They won't be first round picks but they can play due to size and route ability.

Kofi was a good WR but not great at one thing. I don't recall his speed numbers but I just don't think he ever found anything professionally where he fit.
Where have you read the scouts opinions?

Reactions: DANC

Who was the highly rated player that wanted to commit and who was IU holding out for?

Wilson couldn't get out of his own damn way that's why. He burned a lot of bridges hopefully Tom can rebuild.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT