ADVERTISEMENT

Why did we drop an already scheduled Home game for 2023???

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Anyone have the backstory details on this move?

Unless we're replacing them with Rice or New Mexico as a Home game I don't understand this move at all...

Link: https://saturdaytradition.com/india...-game-non-conference-contract-with-charlotte/

Let's hope Fred hasn't been swayed by the "we've got to upgrade our schedule" group. That's the same group of guys who leave at halftime of a Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and/or Michigan State game when we're not up by more than 10... (DWS)...

Reactions: Chriselli

Unless we're replacing them with Rice or New Mexico as a Home game I don't understand this move at all...

Link: https://saturdaytradition.com/india...-game-non-conference-contract-with-charlotte/

Let's hope Fred hasn't been swayed by the "we've got to upgrade our schedule" group. That's the same group of guys who leave at halftime of a Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and/or Michigan State game when we're not up by more than 10... (DWS)...

I wonder if C-USA might be moving to a 9 game conference schedule in the future and Charlotte needed to drop the game

Reactions: 76-1
If they wanted out we should have mandated a lower payout to them. $1.3 mil seems like a huge amount for IU to pay anyone.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If they wanted out we should have mandated a lower payout to them. $1.3 mil seems like a huge amount for IU to pay anyone.

If they'd been smart when they wrote that contract they should have had a reversion to one game vs two games revert to the lower payout. Clearly we got somewhat snookered...

Reactions: ESalum86
Central Michigan looks available.

Also CT and KA but they may have things turned around by then (particularly KA who'll most likely cheat their butt off to do so)...

Central Michigan looks available.

Also CT and KA but they may have things turned around by then (particularly KA who'll most likely cheat their butt off to do so)...

Is that UConn and Kansas? We're already playing UConn during that time period. I think a home and home with Kansas would be a great idea. Vandy, Kansas, NC State, Cal, Colorado, Mississippi, and Kentucky would all be very interesting scheduling possibilities in the future.

Well we are playing Louisville that year.

Is that UConn and Kansas? We're already playing UConn during that time period. I think a home and home with Kansas would be a great idea. Vandy, Kansas, NC State, Cal, Colorado, Mississippi, and Kentucky would all be very interesting scheduling possibilities in the future.

We don't play CT in 2023. Right now we have one out of conference home game scheduled with MA and a neutral site game with Lou at the Luke, giving us only 5 Home games at the moment.

Here's one version of the 2023 schedule as it currently stands (with 9/23 to be filled):

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2023/team/indiana

//Edited: I was wrong about the bye week, looks like that's on 10/14...//

Back to playing Kansas...: two years ago that would have seemed a great idea but since they just brought in a proven cheater at head coach (see his past transgressions at OkSt & L$$$U), I'd fully expect Les to double down on his past practices and have Kansas turned around and fully stocked by 2023... Even though Les Miles is an average coach and I think we could beat him and his fighting jaybirds it's the wear and tear factor that has to be considered when scheduling out of conference play (which is why rekindling the KY series is a bad idea).

You want to play a team that's not likely to knock out a third of your starting lineup for the next 8 games...(in my opinion)...... There's no such thing as a "sure win" anymore but by playing a team that's generally smaller and lighter across their roster, physics dictates that it would be a safer matchup for our guys...

If you look at the rest of our schedule, an out of conference team to take the place of Charlotte should be someone in their category rather than tougher (in my opinion).

Bowling Green might be an option for a one game contract (and yeah, that game doesn't "excite" me either but I'm willing to deal with that for the long term good of the program)...

In any event, by allowing this situation to occur we've all but made certain that we'll be negotiating from a position of weakness (need) and we'll have to pay more than what we were going to pay Charlotte (1.1 Mil) for that slot. Once again an amateur move by the Athletic Department. Why does this not surprise me...

Last edited:
we're paying more not to play them than we were to play them, so before looking for replacements, we need to know why the game was bought out in the first place.

Russia, if you're listening, we'd love to see those emails.

we're paying more not to play them than we were to play them, so before looking for replacements, we need to know why the game was bought out in the first place.

Russia, if you're listening, we'd love to see those emails.
The OP seems to think we bought out a home game but in another thread it was stated this was an away game we bought out. I don’t really know but that makes a lot more sense.

The OP seems to think we bought out a home game but in another thread it was stated this was an away game we bought out. I don’t really know but that makes a lot more sense.

what other thread?

according to the article, it was a home game we were paying them $1.1 mil to come here. (and $1.3 to then not come here)..

we were paying them to come here 2 yrs in a row, which is a major wtf to begin with, considering who it was..

IU site currently shows us having 10 games sched for 2023, (9 B10 already), and only 4 home games.

so 2 non con spots to fill, and both need to be home games just to have 6 Btown games that yr. (playing Louisville in the middle of Sept at LOS that yr, which i'll assume is technically a home game for us).

why would we play a home game at LOS during the normally best weather window of the yr?

Last edited:

We don't play CT in 2023. Right now we have one out of conference home game scheduled with MA and a neutral site game with Lou at the Luke, giving us only 5 Home games at the moment.

Here's one version of the 2023 schedule as it currently stands (with 9/23 to be filled):

//Edited: I was wrong about the bye week, looks like that's on 10/14...//

Back to playing Kansas...: two years ago that would have seemed a great idea but since they just brought in a proven cheater at head coach (see his past transgressions at OkSt & L$$$U), I'd fully expect Les to double down on his past practices and have Kansas turned around and fully stocked by 2023... Even though Les Miles is an average coach and I think we could beat him and his fighting jaybirds it's the wear and tear factor that has to be considered when scheduling out of conference play (which is why rekindling the KY series is a bad idea).

You want to play a team that's not likely to knock a third of your starting lineup for the next 8 games...(in my opinion)...... There's no such thing as a "sure win" anymore but by playing a team that's generally smaller and lighter across their roster, physics dictates that it would be a safer matchup for our guys...

If you look at the rest of our schedule, an out of conference team to take the place of Charlotte should be someone in their category rather than tougher (in my opinion).

Bowling Green might be an option for a one game contract (and yeah, that game doesn't "excite" me either but I'm willing to deal with that for the long term good of the program)...

In any event, by allowing this situation to occur we've all but made certain that we'll be negotiating from a position of weakness (need) and we'll have to pay more than what we were going to pay Charlotte (1.1 Mil) for that slot. Once again an amateur move by the Athletic Department. Why does this not surprise me...
Mentioned this in another thread but why we are even facing another year with only 6 home games is beyond me.

Walt if you read the link I attached to the original post you'll see it was two home games not an away and a home. That was a good deal.

Now I don't think we are paying them to drop the 2023 game. The way I read it we are letting them simply cancel the first game, while still paying more for the 2nd game (with no cancellation penalty attached)... Dumb move at several levels if you ask me. I thought our AD was a lawyer? Did he even bother to read this contract???

Walt if you read the link I attached to the original post you'll see it was two home games not an away and a home. That was a good deal.

Now I don't think we are paying them to drop the 2023 game. The way I read it we are letting them simply cancel the first game, while still paying more for the 2nd game (with no cancellation penalty attached)... Dumb move at several levels if you ask me. I thought our AD was a lawyer? Did he even bother to read this contract???

if i read things right, we were already paying them 1.3 mil for the 2024 game, before the 2023 cancellation.

question is, did we buy out the 2023 game, or were we just allowed to cancel it?

if i read things right, we were already paying them 1.3 mil for the 2024 game, before the 2023 cancellation.

question is, did we buy out the 2023 game, or were we just allowed to cancel it?

Way I read it, we allowed Charlotte to cancel it (with no penalty)...

A home and home deal with Rice might work (for recruiting purposes).

Or possibly 2 at our place, 1 at Lucas Oil with Indiana State deal. The Lucas Oil Stadium one would be Indiana States Home game. Preferably those would all be Home openers...

In fact..., that replacement game for Charlotte should be attempted to be moved to 8/25/23 if the Big Ten and Ohio State would allow it. Not so much for the warmup game prior to O$U but to gain the extra bye week (which is invaluable when it comes to healing up sprains and strains...).

Last edited:
Wasn't the attendance at the Charlotte game two seasons ago less than 10000?

We've never played Charlotte (ever).

If you're thinking of Charleston Southern then the listed attendance was 35,995...

Last edited:
We've never played Charlotte (ever).

If you're thinking of Charleston Southern then the listed attendance was 35,995...
Thanks. I think the big number was related for how many tickets were sold for Florida Atlantic

Here's the current 2023 schedule (Charlotte originally had the 9/23 slot):

That leaves 8/25 or 9/23 to play one more out of conference opponent (hopefully at Home)...

Indiana State, Georgia State, Central Michigan and Rice are all possiblities...(I think..., I've slept since I checked their schedules...).

what other thread?

according to the article, it was a home game we were paying them $1.1 mil to come here. (and $1.3 to then not come here)..

we were paying them to come here 2 yrs in a row, which is a major wtf to begin with, considering who it was..

IU site currently shows us having 10 games sched for 2023, (9 B10 already), and only 4 home games.

so 2 non con spots to fill, and both need to be home games just to have 6 Btown games that yr. (playing Louisville in the middle of Sept at LOS that yr, which i'll assume is technically a home game for us).

why would we play a home game at LOS during the normally best weather window of the yr?
Sorry, the other thread where I read that it was an away game is on the Premie Board. Didn’t mean to confuse you.

We play at Louisville that year and only 4 conference home games that year.

so you're saying Louisville at LOS in 23 is technically a home game for Louisville?

considering we play at their place the next yr that seems unlikely, and more like strange if true.

even as a home and home with neither paying the other, seems like Louisville got by far the best of that one.

no doubt Louisville loves the idea of playing at LOS for effectively what's an IU home game, both from a recruiting pov and for their fans, who can make that drive almost as easily as IU's fans.

i could see IU and PU maybe trying a series at LOS, since it's usually freezing cold by then, but not at all a fan of moving a Sept home game to LOS, ever. (and while BSU at LOS is technically a home game for BSU, it's still what could have been a Btown home game that FG sold out imo).

Sept home games against big 5 opponents, B10 or non con, are special commodities imo, as the weather is usually the nicest all yr for a day in Btown, and usually only a couple big Sept home games against major schools at most each yr..

still curious if the 23 Charlotte game was mutually just cancelled, or bought out by one side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT