ADVERTISEMENT

why did fife leave mich st, money?

I wonder if there was friction on the coaching staff after last year and some of the recruits they missed on. So maybe it was mutually beneficial for Dane to look elsewhere?

Impossible to know for sure. Whenever people make what appears to be lateral, even backward, moves...it gets complicated.

Best guesses:

1. He’s not as much the heir apparent to Izzo as many on here thought.
2. He met with Dolson during the HC search and is excited about what he’s putting together.
3. Tagging on 2. If IU becomes good again, Fifes stock for a quality HC position skyrockets. And maybe he thinks his only option at MSU, is following Izzo.
4. Maybe Izzo told him he wasn’t retiring any time soon?

Tons of potential reasons. I’m sure it’s a well rounded combination of practicality and nostalgia. Being a part of THIS IU rebuild, has to be attractive for a former IU player.

doesn't seem like a smart career move at this point, glad to have him back but it doesn't make a lot of sense for him professionally
I can’t imagine he hasn’t learned all he can from Izzo. An opportunity to learn from another mind, let alone a long time NBA coach, could prove invaluable. Seems like a measured risk. Not like Fife won’t be able to get another job no matter what happens.

Reactions: ndbetterman
Fife didn’t come for free - he drives the same luxury car and lives in the nicest of housing like all top assistants. He’s doing what he wants.

Fife didn’t come for free - he drives the same luxury car and lives in the nicest of housing like all top assistants. He’s doing what he wants.
That and he's maybe considering, hey, I've been there for 10 years and no guarantee ... if I'm going to be just a top assistant forever here, why not. Better cost of living, it's his alma mater, and pay raise to boot. I couldn't speculate as to what it was, but I'm sure they didn't try to bait him on the cost of living thing, probably a substantial enough raise, plus the opportunity.

Reactions: ndbetterman
From Al's story on front page:

"I'm excited to announce that I'm joining coach Mike Woodson's staff and I intend to help bring home number six," Fife said in a statement. "To be an Indiana Hoosier, as I've always said, was my dream as a little boy growing up in Clarkson, Michigan. Now, once more, I'm going to be a Hoosier."

doesn't seem like a smart career move at this point, glad to have him back but it doesn't make a lot of sense for him professionally
Why? He wasn’t in line to succeed Izzo. He played for Indiana so why not come back to help get this program back to blue blood status.

Unbelievable how many idiots under value the pinnacle of what is coaching at IU. So many of you will never be content without trying to spin anything and everything you can in a negative light. It’s the new way of life for the woke.
Maybe because it’s IU and he wants to be a part of returning the tradition. Something many of you have no damn clue about. Many of us have had to listen to your garbage mouths for 20 years. Now you can listen to us. Catch on or go bandwagon a new team please.

good post. but 2015 want's it's lame ass word back.

Stick with basketball, quit being a parrot of entertainment news and your uncle on fake-book, and most of all quit using that lame ass word. Maybe enjoy the moment without the tribal dog whistle.
Agree. If I never hear or see the word woke used in any fashion other than no longer asleep, it will be too soon. Same with snowflake.

Not peanuts but Fife making 345 ish per year. Not hard to find out. I dont know the terms of the deal with Indiana but I would think they could easily double it. These idiots saying Fife wouldn't leave Mich St for head coach at IU gotta feel stupid. I think Indiana was late on getting Fife on board.

There may be a few other reasons for Fife wanting to get our of MSU. First, MSU is urban compared to Bloomington. Much better facilities. 2nd, I got a feeling that Izzo is going to hang it up pretty soon, & MSU will go a different direction. Outside search. Which probably means all the staff would probably disperse anyways. 3rd, he could be a strong candidate in 6-8 years or has a much better chance of getting an offer to HC somewhere.

Did you graduate from IU Bloomington?
I think that IZZO is going to hang it up in 1-2 seasons. Like football, I think MSU wants a clean slate. Which means outside coaching search & the staff will probably disperse anyway. Over the years, there have been reports of behaviors in the program that MSU wants to clean up.

Reactions: johnboiler123
My bet?
Dane didn’t want to wait another decade for Izzo to be carried out of the Breslin Center in a straight jacket and bib.

There may be a few other reasons for Fife wanting to get our of MSU. First, MSU is urban compared to Bloomington. Much better facilities. 2nd, I got a feeling that Izzo is going to hang it up pretty soon, & MSU will go a different direction. Outside search. Which probably means all the staff would probably disperse anyways. 3rd, he could be a strong candidate in 6-8 years or has a much better chance of getting an offer to HC somewhere.
Yeah, msu has kinda turned into the Louisville/baylor of the big ten with scandal after scandal for years now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT