ADVERTISEMENT

Why are there so many young Americans in The Bundesliga?

our youth (academy) style of play really does best mirror the german style of play.

Yeap. The game of football/soccer in the US is still very structured and broken down very similar to American football, militaristic. To me, its becomes over coached. They lose their street footballing skills -- you will never get to allow a Ronaldinho or Rooney style of improv to prosper too. Becomes functional rather than getting you off your seat type displays. (USA v Mexico for example.)

Fergie used to always to his players right before they went onto the pitch:

Enjoy yourself and ...Go express yourself.

It may be a change because the money involved and therefore the results matter more than the entertainment factor. But Fergie was able to combine the two.

Yeap. The game of football/soccer in the US is still very structured and broken down very similar to American football, militaristic. To me, its becomes over coached. They lose their street footballing skills -- you will never get to allow a Ronaldinho or Rooney style of improv to prosper too. Becomes functional rather than getting you off your seat type displays. (USA v Mexico for example.)

Fergie used to always to his players right before they went onto the pitch:

Enjoy yourself and ...Go express yourself.

It may be a change because the money involved and therefore the results matter more than the entertainment factor. But Fergie was able to combine the two.
For sure. It’ll be interesting to see what impact disbanding the US academy system and allowing the mls teams to totally run the highest level of youth soccer will have. I think it’s a positive.

Reactions: sglowrider
Letting mls clubs replace the academy system might increase the talent pool a bit too. Soccer here is still exclusionary. I don’t think it’ll bring in more blacks. I think they still favor our traditional sports far more. But it might help with the Latino communities where many have been priced out in the pay to play structure. The academy system was largely white suburban kids with money.

Letting mls clubs replace the academy system might increase the talent pool a bit too. Soccer here is still exclusionary. I don’t think it’ll bring in more blacks. I think they still favor our traditional sports far more. But it might help with the Latino communities where many have been priced out in the pay to play structure. The academy system was largely white suburban kids with money.

It's just not about the kids. The coaching training needs to be updated. The passing down into the winger and squaring the ball across into the pen box approach is very 70s. Design for your physical players, muscular center forward.

But i also find tiki-taka pocession Pep/Cryuff ball a bit tedious after about 20mins. You need a variance. It's is starting to get found out now as the Man City v Arsenal match last night showed. Pep had 71% pocession and list 0-2.

It's just not about the kids. The coaching training needs to be updated. The passing down into the winger and squaring the ball across into the pen box approach is very 70s. Design for your physical players, muscular center forward.

But i also find tiki-taka pocession Pep/Cryuff ball a bit tedious after about 20mins. You need a variance. It's is starting to get found out now as the Man City v Arsenal match last night showed. Pep had 71% pocession and list 0-2.
For sure and I think the mls clubs running top youth soccer will help greatly. Far broader and more diverse experiences and styles are represented in the mls coaching pool than academy. I coached for many years at a top 20 academy program. Every coach in our club was local and had grown up playing locally. A few made it to the national team but there was zero diversity in thought, tactics or style. Mls will improve this greatly imo.

Reactions: sglowrider
For sure and I think the mls clubs running top youth soccer will help greatly. Far broader and more diverse experiences and styles are represented in the mls coaching pool than academy. I coached for many years at a top 20 academy program. Every coach in our club was local and had grown up playing locally. A few made it to the national team but there was zero diversity in thought, tactics or style. Mls will improve this greatly imo.

I have a sports marathon tonight (8pm till 3am back to back) -- F1 @ Hungary now.
Then Spurs v Leicester (I need Leicester to lose) and then my United v Chelski. (I think we will play a mixed 2nd 11 team as the 1st 11 are looking tired at the moment. And the FA cup isn't a high priority this season in view of the other upcoming matches -- both domestic and Europa matches.)

I have a sports marathon tonight (8pm till 3am back to back) -- F1 @ Hungary now.
Then Spurs v Leicester (I need Leicester to lose) and then my United v Chelski. (I think we will play a mixed 2nd 11 team as the 1st 11 are looking tired at the moment. And the FA cup isn't a high priority this season in view of the other upcoming matches -- both domestic and Europa matches.)
Ha that’s a good night! Agreed. Have to focus on the two paths to champions league.

Ha that’s a good night! Agreed. Have to focus on the two paths to champions league.
Besides, Ole has beaten Frankie Lampard 3 times already this season. (And Pep too) I doubt if its possible to do it for the 4th time ... in one season.

You need seeing Mason Greenwood lately? Everyone knows how two-footed he is -- so they need to lay off him which gives him a gap for his little back-lift shots. Show him the outside and then he cuts in and shoots with his left feet. He is a defender's worst nightmare -- at barely 18y.o.

I have been watching him for the past 3 seasons -- since U15 (via MUTV) He scores as much with his right but I am assuming that being his 1st senior team season, Ole probably told him to keep it simple and use this best attribute first. Then layer it next season.

Besides, Ole has beaten Frankie Lampard 3 times already this season. (And Pep too) I doubt if its possible to do it for the 4th time ... in one season.

You need seeing Mason Greenwood lately? Everyone knows how two-footed he is -- so they need to lay off him which gives him a gap for his little back-lift shots. Show him the outside and then he cuts in and shoots with his left feet. He is a defender's worst nightmare -- at barely 18y.o.

I have been watching him for the past 3 seasons -- since U15 (via MUTV) He scores as much with his right but I am assuming that being his 1st senior team season, Ole probably told him to keep it simple and use this best attribute first. Then layer it next season.
so much talent. unbelievable. i still think fernandes was that missing link they desperately needed. now pogba's happy etc. next season will be fu to watch.

so much talent. unbelievable. i still think fernandes was that missing link they desperately needed. now pogba's happy etc. next season will be fu to watch.

Bruno is the glue but people forget that we lost Pogba since late August and Rashford since late Jan.4

What's interesting is how young the front 3 are. We will need someone like a Sancho to add depth. The goal is to have an ever interchanging frontline similar to a Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez/Saha of the 2006-2009 era. Was a great team -- I think they retained the EPL for 3 seasons in a row and won the CL once. Should have won the CL a couple more times if not for the buzzsaw of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. :(

Bruno is the glue but people forget that we lost Pogba since late August and Rashford since late Jan.4

What's interesting is how young the front 3 are. We will need someone like a Sancho to add depth. The goal is to have an ever interchanging frontline similar to a Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez/Saha of the 2006-2009 era. Was a great team -- I think they retained the EPL for 3 seasons in a row and won the CL once. Should have won the CL a couple more times if not for the buzzsaw of Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. :(
Agreed. A left-sided defender would help shore things up too.

Agreed. A left-sided defender would help shore things up too.

Shaw is too fat. But Williams isn't bad backup for now. I rather get a more fast physical center back -- Lindelof is a bit soft and not rapid enough for my liking. We have a couple of kids in the academy who could come in but in a couple of fo seasons. (Its fun with Ole -- you watch the U18, U23 matches and you can start thinking of who maybe promoted into the senior squad in a couple of seasons. (They play the U16s kids in the U18 matches and the U18 kids in the U23 matches to season them up faster.)

We need a backup for Bruno.

Grealish is the possibility but everytime I have seen him play for Villa, he flatters to deceive -- lots of hip swagger, dribbles, but the end result isn't there -- whether that's because he doesn't have enough high-quality players in front of him to pass on to or not... remains to be seen.

Barca is a mess. They will probably need to go through the same walk in the widnerness like United. Though its slightly less painful considering the dominance of RM, Barca and Athi traditionally.) The EPL is getting harder and harder with every season -- top 8 or top 10 teams next year is the Saudi bone choppers get approval to buy Newcastle.)

Where did you coach?

My son plays for Brett Strang and Galaxy here in Naperville. Ever heard of it?

Where did you coach?

My son plays for Brett Strang and Galaxy here in Naperville. Ever heard of it?
i have not heard of brett but i've definitely heard of galaxy. that's great. how old is your son? i coached in saint louis. club called scott gallagher.

Reactions: Seyton
i have not heard of brett but i've definitely heard of galaxy. that's great. how old is your son? i coached in saint louis. club called scott gallagher.

I know Scott Gallagher. My son is 11 and going into 6th grade.

When he was eight he was playing for a guy named Patrick Ferguson, a Jamaican national, who had an "academy" called USA. United Soccer Academy out of Naperville/Oswego, IL. We went to the national futsal championships in Overland Park, KS.

We had to qualify through St. Louis and Gallagher. We had only six kids and no true goalies but beat them (Gallagher) 11-3 to advance. We wound up beating Sporting KC 9-1 to win the national championship.

A very cool experience.

When he was eight he was playing for a guy named Patrick Ferguson, a Jamaican national, who had an "academy" called USA. United Soccer Academy out of Naperville/Oswego, IL. We went to the national futsal championships in Overland Park, KS.

We had to qualify through St. Louis and Gallagher. We had only six kids and no true goalies but beat them (Gallagher) 11-3 to advance. We wound up beating Sporting KC 9-1 to win the national championship.

A very cool experience.
Ha that’s awesome! I haven’t coached in a while. I was playing for the old man slsg (Gallagher) and my daughter was playing so I agreed to take a team for a few years. She gravitated to tennis and gymnastics (horrible soccer player lol) so I quickly got out of coaching!

Yep sporting kc. We have sporting Stl too. Sporting has become big. Not like rush big but big. It’s crazy what a money making thing all this has become. If you have a check that clears there’s a team for you.

6th grade is a great age. They’re strong enough to really begin to play. You have a lot of fun ahead of you.

A very cool experience.
Hey seyton you pissed about the order in illinois? seems like BS to me. there's ways that these kids can play. i get eliminating travel (too much risk with hotels/meals/etc/density at tourneys) and tournaments whether local or out of town, but there's no reason that the kids can't play local games imo. when we were young everything was local anyway. you got one big out of town tournament a year and that was it. if we can pack 1,200 people into a costco we can put 22 kids on a 120 yard field with proper precautions imo.

Hey seyton you pissed about the order in illinois? seems like BS to me. there's ways that these kids can play. i get eliminating travel (too much risk with hotels/meals/etc/density at tourneys) and tournaments whether local or out of town, but there's no reason that the kids can't play local games imo. when we were young everything was local anyway. you got one big out of town tournament a year and that was it. if we can pack 1,200 people into a costco we can put 22 kids on a 120 yard field with proper precautions imo.

Oh yes. What's not to like about outdoor soccer in Chicago from February 15 to May 1 for high schools?

The hypocrisy of your example (Costco vs. 11 v 11 on a huge field) is maddening.

None of this makes sense to me

Oh yes. What's not to like about outdoor soccer in Chicago from February 15 to May 1 for high schools?

The hypocrisy of your example (Costco vs. 11 v 11 on a huge field) is maddening.

None of this makes sense to me
Yikes. Brutal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT