ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Jan 6 responders committing suicide?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Capitol Police who were at the Jan 6 riot and have since taken their lives is now up to four. Does this seem weird to anyone else?

Capitol Police who were at the Jan 6 riot and have since taken their lives is now up to four. Does this seem weird to anyone else?

Very. Cops have a high suicide rate. Something like 2x as many kill themselves as die in the line, but this struck me as odd

Very. Cops have a high suicide rate. Something like 2x as many kill themselves as die in the line, but this struck me as odd
It's a tough job, and they always have access to a gun, so a higher suicide rate makes sense, but yeah, this sticks out.

You know the biggest cause of on-duty police deaths? Traffic accidents. They are not like us, but they are also just like us.

It's a tough job, and they always have access to a gun, so a higher suicide rate makes sense, but yeah, this sticks out.

You know the biggest cause of on-duty police deaths? Traffic accidents. They are not like us, but they are also just like us.
So what's your theory?

Me either. The family of the one cop related that he had been hit in the head during the riot and "wasnt the same since" prior to his suicide. But three others....strange
It could be that there is no single common cause, even if Jan 6 is the thread that ties them all together. I.e., maybe one got hit on the head, and became depressed. Maybe another started questioning his job and its value in the America he was witnessing...and became depressed. Maybe another one inhaled some pepper spray, and it messed him up really bad...and became depressed. And maybe with one or more of them, the ultimate cause had nothing to do with Jan 6 at all. Who knows?

But if it keeps happening, my eyebrows will continue to rise.

It could be that there is no single common cause, even if Jan 6 is the thread that ties them all together. I.e., maybe one got hit on the head, and became depressed. Maybe another started questioning his job and its value in the America he was witnessing...and became depressed. Maybe another one inhaled some pepper spray, and it messed him up really bad...and became depressed. And maybe with one or more of them, the ultimate cause had nothing to do with Jan 6 at all. Who knows?

And another cop died of stroke. Ive written that the lion's share of those charged will get off relatively painlessly but if i was sitting in jail with charges arising from battery, resisting, etc reading about these suicides i wouldnt be feeling great about leniency from the bench. That many cops offing themselves is troubling.

And another cop died of stroke. Ive written that the lion's share of those charged will get off relatively painlessly but if i was sitting in jail with charges arising from battery, resisting, etc reading about these suicides i wouldnt be feeling great about leniency from the bench. That many cops offing themselves is troubling.
I've never been a big fan of harsh punishment for insurrectionists. It always felt like winning was enough, and you sort of try to bury the hatchet after. But after seeing it happen up close, I can understand why a lot of people default to wanting blood.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Painting with a broad brush here, but I wonder if it frustration or disenfranchisement over perceived lack of support. First it was some in the Left saying defund the police. Now you have the Right basically calling them out with lies about we can all see happened that day. The attack from many Republicans trying to justify what happened at the Capital has to be extremely frustrating to those in uniform.

Painting with a broad brush here, but I wonder if it frustration or disenfranchisement over perceived lack of support. First it was some in the Left saying defund the police. Now you have the Right basically calling them out with lies about we can all see happened that day. The attack from many Republicans trying to justify what happened at the Capital has to be extremely frustrating to those in uniform.
I’d call it more a sense of betrayal. Like when soldiers are asked to kill the enemy, then listen to half a country say they shouldn’t have been there at all.

Or feeling like they have sacrificed a part of themselves to be the enforcers and societal guard rails, and suddenly learn the truth, that nobody gives a crap - they just want what they want and wish the cops weren’t there at all either.

First of all, only one suicide was by a Capitol Police officer. The other three were DC Metro cops—one of the most violent cities in America. Cops commit suicide at more than 3 times the average rate. Middle aged white males are committing suicide at rates higher than any other demographic. Some experts also contend that suicide is contagious in that they seem to be temporally clustered in a given group. Educators are well aware of temporal suicide clusters in youngsters.

I think CNN is making way too much of the January 6 similarity and the role it might have played in each case. (And I think I know why) A careful look at each case will reveal its own complicated set of causes.

Reactions: DANC
The Speaker of the house called the federal police in Portland stormtroopers as they protected federal buildings, which were actually set on fire. Then she called federal police at the US Capitol heroes. If I’m one of the Portland federal police I’m thinking WTF?
Politics 101

Four suicides...likely four different situations. But looks like a good talking point opportunity for both sides.

I think CNN is making way too much of the January 6 similarity and the role it might have played in each case. (And I think I know why)
Why?

And what bubble are you living in? This is not merely a CNN story. Virtually every major news organization is covering this.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I think CNN made it political.
By having an interview with someone who said these police officers need to be aware of mental illness and that there's help out there? I think it's just you seeing through your politically biased glasses. Hey, it's CNN, they are liberal so they must be promoting a liberal agenda.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Why?

And what bubble are you living in? This is not merely a CNN story. Virtually every major news organization is covering this.

By having an interview with someone who said these police officers need to be aware of mental illness and that there's help out there? I think it's just you seeing through your politically biased glasses. Hey, it's CNN, they are liberal so they must be promoting a liberal agenda.
Other parts of big media covering this as CNN does is not exactly a shocker.
CNN made it political by superficially connecting the January 6 and suicide dots without any evidence.

Officer suicide is a terrible thing. I had experience with that. It deserves better than the way CNN (and others) make it part of their January 6 narrative, at least until more is known about each case. Officers and their families are entitled to privacy.

Why?

The Dems and their supporting entertainment networks CNN/MSNBC etc did not create Jan 6, the Trumpers handed it to them on a silver platter. The fact that that the party, networks and left wing Twatter injected in to their veins and ran with it was to be expected and would have happened in reverse. No surprises here.

Other parts of big media covering this as CNN does is not exactly a shocker.
CNN made it political by superficially connecting the January 6 and suicide dots without any evidence.

Officer suicide is a terrible thing. I had experience with that. It deserves better than the way CNN (and others) make it part of their January 6 narrative, at least until more is known about each case. Officers and their families are entitled to privacy.
All the political entertainment networks grab something like this that fits their narrative and runs with it. If it later proven false they just stop talking about it and pretend it never happened although FOX sometimes decides to double down.

NYPD Suicides

At least they didn’t tie this to Cuomo’s actions resulting in hundreds or thousands of deaths…

Chicago PD

Or did the insurrection have an impact on police depts everywhere?

Anyone that thinks the DC thing isn’t being politicized is likely incapable of objectivity. Isn’t it safe to say every DC Metro cop responded to the mayhem on Jan 6, or is there a meaningful sample size of those that didn’t to compare to?

I think CNN made it political.
Maybe they got defunded and couldn’t care for their family anymore.

Maybe constantly being portrayed as racists by Lefty Lumpers got to them.

But it was probably really Trump caused it somehow.

The politics of personal destruction used to only be aimed at vote whores. Not anymore. And social media makes it much worse, much more personal, and to a much broader audience.

I guess all I can say is yes.

“and yet Hillary and pizza do nothing to your brows, how despicable”

-Mas

I guess we're not capable. Thanks for the lack of effort, guys.
I think the Jeff Smith case is one of those mentioned previously in the thread, so I wanted to share something that I found interesting that some others might as well. His wife has been pretty outspoken and even pinned an article earlier in USA Today about how Jan 6 "changed" him...

So today I came across an article mentioning that the family had filed suit against the person they feel may be responsible for striking him in the head. One interesting aspect is that the Feds have not formally charged this man (DC Chiropractor David Walls-Kaufman), but one of the groups who are sleuthing out people who appear in Jan 6 videos found out his name after being asked by the Smith family lawyers to do a deep dive into the available hours of video.

Apparently, there are many groups of online sleuths working independently (and sometimes more rapidly) of federal investigators... This particular group (Deep State Dogs) worked for over a month to establish the identity of the last person seen close to Smith prior to his collapse and Thursday they were able to use facial recognition to identify Walls-Kaufman and the Smith family filed suit. For context, the Dogs were also able to identify the man who was later charged with electroshocking Ofc Fanone in the neck...

Walls-Kaufman is another interesting character. He admitted shortly after the riot that he was on the Capitol steps, but claimed he wasn't a "Trump supporter". However looking into his social media told a different story, and also revealed a pic he posted in which he is wearing the same coat he is wearing in Jan 6 videos.

The Dogs poured over hours of video and they were able to pick out Smith's badge number on the helmet of a cop battling rioters. They then zeroed in on a man who came face to face with Smith just before Smith collapsed and were able to id Walls-Kaufman.
Within 24 hrs of identifying him, the lawsuit was filed. More details here...

Reactions: UncleMark
I think the Jeff Smith case is one of those mentioned previously in the thread, so I wanted to share something that I found interesting that some others might as well. His wife has been pretty outspoken and even pinned an article earlier in USA Today about how Jan 6 "changed" him...

So today I came across an article mentioning that the family had filed suit against the person they feel may be responsible for striking him in the head. One interesting aspect is that the Feds have not formally charged this man (DC Chiropractor David Walls-Kaufman), but one of the groups who are sleuthing out people who appear in Jan 6 videos found out his name after being asked by the Smith family lawyers to do a deep dive into the available hours of video.

Apparently, there are many groups of online sleuths working independently (and sometimes more rapidly) of federal investigators... This particular group (Deep State Dogs) worked for over a month to establish the identity of the last person seen close to Smith prior to his collapse and Thursday they were able to use facial recognition to identify Walls-Kaufman and the Smith family filed suit. For context, the Dogs were also able to identify the man who was later charged with electroshocking Ofc Fanone in the neck...

Walls-Kaufman is another interesting character. He admitted shortly after the riot that he was on the Capitol steps, but claimed he wasn't a "Trump supporter". However looking into his social media told a different story, and also revealed a pic he posted in which he is wearing the same coat he is wearing in Jan 6 videos.

The Dogs poured over hours of video and they were able to pick out Smith's badge number on the helmet of a cop battling rioters. They then zeroed in on a man who came face to face with Smith just before Smith collapsed and were able to id Walls-Kaufman.

hopefully online sleuths are looking for the culprits that gave rise to these injuries. what do you think cosmic? would that be good? Do you ever "come across" articles like the one set forth below? or is it just always a one way street for you? there are crazy people on both sides. there will always be crazy people on both sides. one would have to be crazy to not see that and to focus exclusively on one side

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC

people can talk cops having higher suicide rates all they want, the statistical odds of this just happening are beyond astronomical.

as to possible causes of this happening absent just being a really strange statistical anomaly, i suppose we can start with,

1), were part of the plan, and thought that would eventually come out.

2), the Clintons are at it again.

3), suicided by the "leave no loose ends" guys.

4), study shows large doses of bear spray causes severe depression.

Survey Says

family_feud.jpg

Last edited:
people can talk cops having higher suicide rates all they want, the statistical odds of this just happening are beyond astronomical.

as to possible causes of this happening absent just being a really strange statistical anomaly, i suppose we can start with,

1), were part of the plan, and thought that would eventually come out.

2), the Clintons are at it again.

3), suicided by the "leave no loose ends" guys.

4), study shows large doses of bear spray causes sever depression.

Survey Says

family_feud.jpg
Interesting yet not surprising take. Well played. Per usual. I feel like you're getting stretched a little thin tho. Let's sort out surfside first

Reactions: larsIU

Just an update for anyone interested... The 2nd suspected assailant of Ofc Smith has been identified...

Just an update for anyone interested... The 2nd suspected assailant of Ofc Smith has been identified...

C’mon man. That link is just dumb.
The symptoms that he manifested after being injured in the riot and leading up to his suicide, including anxiety and depression, represented postconcussion syndrome,” Arden wrote in a formal declaration. “Therefore, his mood changes were the direct result of the head trauma he suffered in the riot on January 6, 2021.”​
This opinion as a basis for establishing a cause of suicide would be shredded in seconds by even a rookie lawyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT