ADVERTISEMENT

Why Are Groceries Cutting Hours??????

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
i assume they are still doing well.

just read that Kroger is closing all it's Indiana and other states stores at 10pm, and that Walmart is closing at i think 11pm, instead of being 24 hrs as usual.

social distancing is the nation's top strategy to slow this thing down, and compressing grocery store hours does the exact polar opposite, in the one place all people can't avoid going to even if they wanted to..

being i'm an old fart, my plan was to do my grocery shopping late when others weren't.

now i will have zero way to go to the grocery when the aisles aren't crowded with people, and that the check out lanes aren't backed up with everyone else waiting to check out scrunched around you.

just read that Kroger is closing all it's Indiana and other states stores at 10pm, and that Walmart is closing at i think 11pm, instead of being 24 hrs as usual.

social distancing is the nation's top strategy to slow this thing down, and compressing grocery store hours does the exact polar opposite, in the one place all people can't avoid going to even if they wanted to..

being i'm an old fart, my plan was to do my grocery shopping late when others weren't.

now i will have zero way to go to the grocery when the aisles aren't crowded with people, and that the check out lanes aren't backed up with everyone else waiting to check out scrunched around you.
It's time you go fishing and get your potatoes in the ground.

1) cleaning
2) restocking empty shelves

Too bad that Peapod pulled out of the midwest just before this hit. Would think this would have been a boom for them.

1) cleaning

Too bad that Peapod pulled out of the midwest just before this hit. Would think this would have been a boom for them.

they have no problem restocking shelves late night with the stores open.. they have done it for 70 yrs.

and i doubt they are bringing in hazmat guys at night to sanitize the stores.

1) cleaning

We use green bean delivery. I would imagine the demand for them has increased significantly.

Thanks for your retail expertise. I'm just telling you the reasons they have given. Good luck.

no offense, but have you never been in a grocery at night?

i know the reasons they gave.

those reasons make absolutely zero sense, thus wonder why they would pursue a policy that works exactly opposite the nation's number one strategy to combat this.

no offense, but have you never been in a grocery at night?

i know the reasons they gave.

those reasons make absolutely zero sense, thus wonder why they would pursue a policy that works exactly opposite the nation's number one strategy to combat this.

Many times.

We're you in a grocery store yesterday? I was. It's not normal times when all the shelves are being emptied out day after day.

My wife got toilet paper today at Dollar General. Thank goodness because I thought I was going to have to resort to physical violence and take somebody elses.

Many times.

We're you in a grocery store yesterday? I was. It's not normal times when all the shelves are being emptied out day after day.

only limited products are being hoarded, (thus a very limited minority of shelves being emptied).

the run on the few things like toilet paper being horded will be short lived, (other than maybe sanitizer and bottled water to a lessor degree), and i see no actual logistical reason the shelves can't still be restocked with the stores open, as they have been for decade after decade.

if they need to hire an extra stock person or 2, so be it.

regardless, compressed grocery hours, the one place everybody still HAS to go to, totally undermines the nation's number one strategy of social distancing. (a reality you seem totally unconcerned with).

and good luck being in a supermarket other than late night, with less than 50 people in it.

being contrary just to do so, is not productive.

they have no problem restocking shelves late night with the stores open.. they have done it for 70 yrs.

and i doubt they are bringing in hazmat guys at night to sanitize the stores.

You can’t compare the two. I worked on a ship where we had a staph infection that seemed to occasionally flare up. Every week at the end of the cruise the entire crew will be wiping down every surface on the ship after passenger departed. I mean every surface.

I imagine they are going to get recommendations from the department of health as to what they should do. After all, supermarkets are going to be the highest traffic buildings everywhere. Thus they’re going to have to have the most intensive cleaning. Forget about restaurants bars in movie theaters they’re all gonna be closed.

only limited products are being hoarded, (thus a very limited minority of shelves being emptied).

the run on the few things like toilet paper being horded will be short lived, (other than maybe sanitizer and bottled water to a lessor degree), and i see no actual logistical reason the shelves can't still be restocked with the stores open, as they have been for decade after decade.

if they need to hire an extra stock person or 2, so be it.

regardless, compressed grocery hours, the one place everybody still HAS to go to, totally undermines the nation's number one strategy of social distancing. (a reality you seem totally unconcerned with).

and good luck being in a supermarket other than late night, with less than 50 people in it.

being contrary just to do so, is not productive.

Were you in a store yesterday? The local Meijer was picked clean of most everything. From vegetables, fruits, to meat of every variety. Meat coolers were EMPTY. Zero bread to be found other than basic white bread.

Even the packaged goods aisles were pretty well looted. Even out of most ice creams!

The whole damn store needed restocked in every section. Then you have them needing to go and sanitize everything. You think stores want to close? What possible benefit would it be for them?

You can’t compare the two. I worked on a ship where we had a staph infection that seemed to occasionally flare up. Every week at the end of the cruise the entire crew will be wiping down every surface on the ship after passenger departed. I mean every surface.

I imagine they are going to get recommendations from the department of health as to what they should do. After all, supermarkets are going to be the highest traffic buildings everywhere. Thus they’re going to have to have the most intensive cleaning. Forget about restaurants bars in movie theaters they’re all gonna be closed.

i have no idea where you're going with this, or why.

news flash, the hazmat guys aren't going to sanitize grocery stores every night, (as if we could logistically even do that within a yr of ramping up).

social distancing is what we can do now, thus why it's strategy one around the world, and compressed hours at the one place everybody still has to go, totally undermines the whole idea of social distancing.

again, being contrary just to be so, isn't productive.

Were you in a store yesterday? The local Meijer was picked clean of most everything. From vegetables, fruits, to meat of every variety. Meat coolers were EMPTY. Zero bread to be found other than basic white bread.

Even the packaged goods aisles were pretty well looted. Even out of most ice creams!

The whole damn store needed restocked in every section. Then you have them needing to go and sanitize everything. You think stores want to close? What possible benefit would it be for them?

that's a supply chain thing, and has absolutely zero to do with the discussion on store hours or the ability to stock shelves with the store open.

and again, the hording thing will be short lived other than a few items like sanitizer.

someone with a cabinet full of canned ravioli and a freezer full of ice cream isn't going to keep buying up all they can of either.

that said, if everyone was going back every other day to sock up more and more, that's only further reason not to compress store hours, and totally undermine the whole strategy of social distancing.

Groceries are also losing employees. Notice the carts are all outside?

After waiting in line for checkout for 25 minutes today with the same full cart everyone else had, I looked at my beleaguered cashier and thanked her for being there and told her I know how hard this must be.

She looked up at me with welled eyes and said "this is so nice to hear once in awhile" This lady and the store is overwhelmed with stressed shoppers as she deals with thousands of people up close wondering which ones are passing this to her and will she pass it to her family...

I kind of agree with this take in principle but, really, how many people shop between 10 pm and 7 am? 1 or 2 percent? I don’t know but I would assume Kroger execs had done some consultation before they made this change.

I kind of agree with this take in principle but, really, how many people shop between 10 pm and 7 am? 1 or 2 percent? I don’t know but I would assume Kroger execs had done some consultation before they made this change.

which is the whole point, though it's more than 1 or 2 %.

the store is being manned anyway, and only self check out is available late, so not sure what is gained by not allowing customers wanting to avoid a crowd situation.

i have no idea where you're going with this, or why.

news flash, the hazmat guys aren't going to sanitize grocery stores every night, (as if we could logistically even do that within a yr of ramping up).

social distancing is what we can do now, thus why it's strategy one around the world, and compressed hours at the one place everybody still has to go, totally undermines the whole idea of social distancing.

again, being contrary just to be so, isn't productive.
What are you talking about with hazmat? These are going to be regular employees who are going to have Lysol disinfectant and Clorox bleach and they are going to be wearing rubber gloves. They are going to wash down every surface in the store. I have no idea what they do with fresh produce where people are picking up an apple and then putting it back. They were likely wipe down all of the shopping carts. Same with the hand baskets and the cash registers and the whole checkout station. Then will have to do the same thing with the butcher shop in the deli section etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT