ADVERTISEMENT

Who's our Pat Fitzgerald?

SRIV94

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Somewhere near Chicago
We really need someone like him if we're ever going to contend for more than just a 6-6 at best season.

Remember when we used to bash NW repeatedly? Good times. Still think the NW/IND game of 1994 (which kept us out of a bowl as it turns out--we finished 6-5 but no one wanted us) was a game changer for us and for NW. (They've also gone 11-3 against us since--our last win was in 2008.) NW went to the Rose Bowl the following year. We've been to three bowl games total in the ensuing 23 years.

Reactions: td75
We really need someone like him if we're ever going to contend for more than just a 6-6 at best season.

Remember when we used to bash NW repeatedly? Good times. Still think the NW/IND game of 1994 (which kept us out of a bowl as it turns out--we finished 6-5 but no one wanted us) was a game changer for us and for NW. (They've also gone 11-3 against us since--our last win was in 2008.) NW went to the Rose Bowl the following year. We've been to three bowl games total in the ensuing 23 years.

Maybe we already have him. I am not giving up on Allen just yet. Big changes need to be made and we will see if he makes them. Last years class looks to be pretty darn good and this years could be the same. Good players make good coaches and if he can keep the recruiting up we can get where we want to be.

It just kills you that we won. Your true colors are showing...and they aint cream and crimson dude. You need to look in a mirror...or just put your PU tee shirt back on now...

It just kills you that we won. Your true colors are showing...and they aint cream and crimson dude. You need to look in a mirror...or just put your PU tee shirt back on now...
Graduated from IU in 1988, was at Showalter in 1987 when we won the title in basketball. I make no apologies for any opinions that demand that Indiana should be as perennial a contender in basketball and football as anyone.

Doesn't kill me at all--but it's a legit question why NW has surpassed us in football. And for one year, it looked like they were going to do that in hoops, but they've fallen back to Earth a bit and we now have a much better coach (because Glass saw that we were destined for mediocrity under Crean).

Let's stop with the "you're not a true fan" bullcrap. You're better than this.

Reactions: jcg_94

Allen currently has the same number of wins as Fitzgerald had through his first 2 seasons.

In Fitz’s 2nd season, he lost to Duke, which was Dukes only win of year, needed OT to beat 1-11 Minnesota, and needed a last second TD to beat Nevada, not to mentioned a win by a lackluster performance by IU

Reactions: 82hoosier and 76-1
Allen currently has the same number of wins as Fitzgerald had through his first 2 seasons.

In Fitz’s 2nd season, he lost to Duke, which was Dukes only win of year, needed OT to beat 1-11 Minnesota, and needed a last second TD to beat Nevada, not to mentioned a win by a lackluster performance by IU
And if you remember, he beat us that year too (31-28 in Evanston). Nearly derailed our bowl hopes, but we did recover to beat PUR the following week.

ETA: Ah, you sneaked that edit in as I was typing, grasshopper. You learned well. :)

he wouldn't look so good in the east.

Graduated from IU in 1988, was at Showalter in 1987 when we won the title in basketball. I make no apologies for any opinions that demand that Indiana should be as perennial a contender in basketball and football as anyone.

Doesn't kill me at all--but it's a legit question why NW has surpassed us in football. And for one year, it looked like they were going to do that in hoops, but they've fallen back to Earth a bit and we now have a much better coach (because Glass saw that we were destined for mediocrity under Crean).

Let's stop with the "you're not a true fan" bullcrap. You're better than this.

I was at IU at the same time. I saw us rise from zero football wins in year 1 to beating Michigan in the freezing rain.. I love coach Fitz, and he has taken it consistently to the next level. But don't forget the great coaches in front of him - Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, etc.. These guys convinced the school that they could compete/win way before coach Fitz. We have had multiple years of really bad coaching and re-starts. Northwestern has 18 years of really good consistent coaching. That's why they are in their current position and we are in ours.. Brian

I thought there was a subtle nugget in the post-game presser that was really telling. I can’t remember what question Tom was responding to, but he mentioned something about still learning and growing as a coach. I think it’s key to remember that he’s only 2 years in to his stint.

Reactions: ESalum86
he wouldn't look so good in the east.
I dunno—he could beat us, MD and RUTG pretty perenially. He’s also had way more success vs. MSU and PSU than we have, including winning at Sparty the week after Sparty beat us in Bloomington.

Think you’re underselling him by a lot.

But don't forget the great coaches in front of him - Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, etc.. These guys convinced the school that they could compete/win way before coach Fitz. We have had multiple years of really bad coaching and re-starts. Northwestern has 18 years of really good consistent coaching.

This was going to be my exact point as well. NW needed Barnett and Walker to pave the way for what Fitzgerald has done. Keep in mind that Barnett had the two big years (9 & 10 wins) in the middle of his six year tenure bookended by seasons of 2, 3, or 5 wins. Walker got them back to 8 wins in his second year, but followed it up with 4 win and 3 win seasons before getting to three straight 6+ win years. Fitz has built on that and a few reset years where he's sub-500 in there. The last four years, though, have been amazing compared to what NW once was.

I know it's painful, but I think IU has to play the long game and trust the process to replicate what NW has done.

If IU goes bowling this year, not a done deal yet of course, but if they do, I'd say Allen is on his way. 5 win, 6 win, that would be trending in the right direction, especially with the recruiting classes he appears to be able to land. There have been some major contributions from true FR this year, and I expect some contributors next year too. (*If IU beats PU and Brohm leaves, I still think IU would have a shot at David Bell, who I believe has some personal and family desires to stay closer to home.) Penix (or Ramsey) and Coach Allen would all look a lot better with a Bell on the receiving end.

I'll come back to what's actual right now: A great chance to beat PU and go bowling. One step at a time!

I thought there was a subtle nugget in the post-game presser that was really telling. I can’t remember what question Tom was responding to, but he mentioned something about still learning and growing as a coach. I think it’s key to remember that he’s only 2 years in to his stint.

I like the sound of that as well.

He seems to have some loose ends to tie up regarding his staff and figuring out exactly what kind of offense he wants to run.

Reactions: IUCol
Learning on the fly to be B10 HC has got to be one tough learning curve, which I have lamented since the day he was hired. But were this far along now...too late for coaching searches and what nots...Allen is our man for now and the more he learns the better we will play...I hope...vbg

Reactions: td75
Learning on the fly to be B10 HC has got to be one tough learning curve, which I have lamented since the day he was hired. But were this far along now...too late for coaching searches and what nots...Allen is our man for now and the more he learns the better we will play...I hope...vbg
That and I don't think he will have to gamble as much once he gets his defense in order. Yes he is learning and some of the gambles are head scratchers but the way the defense has been playing it makes me nervous when we give the other team the ball.

If there is honestly one identity we have on defense its takeaways! We might not be able to stop everything but damn we force turnovers.

It is, it took Fitz around 6 years to really develop into a competent gameday coach that could handle the swings of games.

But if you have a young coach that can potentially be a multi-decade guy, worth giving a chance to learn.

ADVERTISEMENT