Who's our Pat Fitzgerald?

Discussion in 'IU Football Board' started by SRIV94, Nov 10, 2018 at 7:25 PM.

1. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We really need someone like him if we're ever going to contend for more than just a 6-6 at best season.

Remember when we used to bash NW repeatedly? Good times. Still think the NW/IND game of 1994 (which kept us out of a bowl as it turns out--we finished 6-5 but no one wanted us) was a game changer for us and for NW. (They've also gone 11-3 against us since--our last win was in 2008.) NW went to the Rose Bowl the following year. We've been to three bowl games total in the ensuing 23 years.

td75 likes this.
  2. Hoosiers Rising

Expand Collapse

Maybe we already have him. I am not giving up on Allen just yet. Big changes need to be made and we will see if he makes them. Last years class looks to be pretty darn good and this years could be the same. Good players make good coaches and if he can keep the recruiting up we can get where we want to be.

kmathum likes this.
  3. IUCol

IUCol Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

It just kills you that we won. Your true colors are showing...and they aint cream and crimson dude. You need to look in a mirror...or just put your PU tee shirt back on now...

4. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Graduated from IU in 1988, was at Showalter in 1987 when we won the title in basketball. I make no apologies for any opinions that demand that Indiana should be as perennial a contender in basketball and football as anyone.

Doesn't kill me at all--but it's a legit question why NW has surpassed us in football. And for one year, it looked like they were going to do that in hoops, but they've fallen back to Earth a bit and we now have a much better coach (because Glass saw that we were destined for mediocrity under Crean).

Let's stop with the "you're not a true fan" bullcrap. You're better than this.

5. turney333

turney333 All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Allen currently has the same number of wins as Fitzgerald had through his first 2 seasons.

In Fitz’s 2nd season, he lost to Duke, which was Dukes only win of year, needed OT to beat 1-11 Minnesota, and needed a last second TD to beat Nevada, not to mentioned a win by a lackluster performance by IU

82hoosier and 76-1 like this.
  6. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And if you remember, he beat us that year too (31-28 in Evanston). Nearly derailed our bowl hopes, but we did recover to beat PUR the following week.

ETA: Ah, you sneaked that edit in as I was typing, grasshopper. You learned well. :)

7. kmathum

kmathum Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

he wouldn't look so good in the east.

82hoosier, hoosier roadtrips and 76-1 like this.
  8. IUFANBB

Expand Collapse

I was at IU at the same time. I saw us rise from zero football wins in year 1 to beating Michigan in the freezing rain.. I love coach Fitz, and he has taken it consistently to the next level. But don't forget the great coaches in front of him - Gary Barnett, Randy Walker, etc.. These guys convinced the school that they could compete/win way before coach Fitz. We have had multiple years of really bad coaching and re-starts. Northwestern has 18 years of really good consistent coaching. That's why they are in their current position and we are in ours.. Brian

82hoosier likes this.
  9. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Fitz was a major part originally—as one of NW’s linebackers under Barnett, he learned well.

10. Indianaftw

Indianaftw Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Fitz was a major part today...6 tackles and 5 solo. Not bad for a redshirt freshman. He's learning!

SRIV94 likes this.
  11. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

12. whuesman

Expand Collapse

I thought there was a subtle nugget in the post-game presser that was really telling. I can’t remember what question Tom was responding to, but he mentioned something about still learning and growing as a coach. I think it’s key to remember that he’s only 2 years in to his stint.

13. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I dunno—he could beat us, MD and RUTG pretty perenially. He’s also had way more success vs. MSU and PSU than we have, including winning at Sparty the week after Sparty beat us in Bloomington.

Think you’re underselling him by a lot.

14. Bligedy

Bligedy Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Our board would have had him fired after losing at home to Akron.

SRIV94, 76-1 and 82hoosier like this.
  15. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Certainly a point. :)

16. SRIV94

SRIV94 Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Although it is fair to say that for every headscratcher he has, he gets victories that make up for it.

17. IUninethree

IUninethree All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This was going to be my exact point as well. NW needed Barnett and Walker to pave the way for what Fitzgerald has done. Keep in mind that Barnett had the two big years (9 & 10 wins) in the middle of his six year tenure bookended by seasons of 2, 3, or 5 wins. Walker got them back to 8 wins in his second year, but followed it up with 4 win and 3 win seasons before getting to three straight 6+ win years. Fitz has built on that and a few reset years where he's sub-500 in there. The last four years, though, have been amazing compared to what NW once was.

I know it's painful, but I think IU has to play the long game and trust the process to replicate what NW has done.