ADVERTISEMENT

Whoever's tweeting using the PeegsOTF handle...

Have you completely missed what Wisconsin has done this year? Its nothing short of remarkable

northwesternwisconsin11216.jpg

That is remarkable. I'm not quite sure what the remark is, but it is remarkable. Probably a similar to remark when IU lost to PSU.

...why Indiana still hasn't had any success in the postseason going into years 9 and 10...

some things are just more depressing when read... Here is my Nostradamus moment: We get stuck in a gym with bad sight lines and struggle from 3, w/ bad/mediocre Troy showing up. We go home first weekend....the coach from Dayton (only realistic candidate) becomes a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, I've been around Fred after hours at Farm and no one said anything like that to him.
I wasn't talking about IU's early years. I'm talking about the past 2 when IU has done nothing.
The fact that clappy is winning games has to feel good for fred who stood pat last year when there was nothing short of a lynch mob calling for Crean and Glass both.
I know for a fact that there were some big time donors who flew with the team to the Duke game and let Fred know all about how they were disappointed on the flight home.

I know for a fact that there were some big time donors who flew with the team to the Duke game and let Fred know all about how they were disappointed on the flight home.
Sure they did... Immediately after the Duke game I would have done the same. Curious if he's heard from them since? Think they'll say anything to him if he wins 2 of 3 and wins the Big 10 title?

Look I want Crean gone as well. I don't think he's the answer but if he wins there's no point is bitching about it because its not going to happen

Sure they did... Immediately after the Duke game I would have done the same. Curious if he's heard from them since? Think they'll say anything to him if he wins 2 of 3 and wins the Big 10 title?

Look I want Crean gone as well. I don't think he's the answer but if he wins there's no point is bitching about it because its not going to happen
I think the only way they say something to him again is if we lose early in the BTT & the NCAA tourney

I would have some respect for Glass if he fired Crean after winning a conference title.

Is Mike Davis available? He made it to a national championship game.
I keep thinking about Minnesota and how the Grass is always greener. Minny was pretty respectable under Tubby and Pitino rode his players to moderate success early.
Now Pitino has one a handful of games and Tubby has Texas Tech trending up

I keep thinking about Minnesota and how the Grass is always greener. Minny was pretty respectable under Tubby and Pitino rode his players to moderate success early.
Now Pitino has one a handful of games and Tubby has Texas Tech trending up
Minnesota BB is not IUBB.

I keep thinking about Alabama FB and how they kept s-canning coaches until they got it right.

If the Clapper gets extended again without a FF appearance I'm giving up. It will be clear the administration has.

Reactions: chris007
The concern about the inability to get a great replacement for Crean if we can him after this year is valid in my opinion. After all we only ended up with Clappy after Miller and Bennett declined and Greenspan was told no on Stallings. Who knows who else turned us down. History would repeat itself.

Valid how? You would never fire anybody then, because you have to fire someone before you can hire someone else.

You really can't do much worse than Crean at a school like IU. Historically, IU has never had a worse coach. You could argue Watson or Davis were as bad, but there isn't a lot of evidence pointing to them being worse.

Well it's not my job to fire or retain him either, but here we are both engaged in a discussion about the topic. If you're going to participate in this conversation/debate, then you should be able to back-up your own logic and argument in the conversation/debate with at least opinion or preferably even some evidence of some sort instead of just spouting off words or borderline trolling. So go ahead and name those half dozen high school coaches. I'm sure that it would be pretty easy however to hire someone worse. Crean is nowhere near an elite college coach. He's probably above average, but he is not the worst or I'd argue even in the bottom half of all college coaches currently employed in the country. Please, provide something of substance to the conversation instead of just hyperbole.

This isn't a discussion. It's a lesson, and you aren't doing very well.

Reactions: Timmy!
Valid how? You would never fire anybody then, because you have to fire someone before you can hire someone else.

You really can't do much worse than Crean at a school like IU. Historically, IU has never had a worse coach. You could argue Watson or Davis were as bad, but there isn't a lot of evidence pointing to them being worse.

Crean sucks for IU. I want him replaced with a much better coach. However, Crean...Damnit dude. I'm not going to defend the guy, but if he's gone and someone new is brought in, it better not be just some other coach. The replacement has to be elite. And the elite guys ain't coming unless the situation is right. And the situation won't be right if Crean is fired after what outsiders would consider a pretty good year. We'll once again have to compromise and take another less than elite coach who we'll have to fire again in a few years. What's the point of that, even if the new guy is a slight improvement over Crean?

Now if a guy like Archie Miller is on board already? Sure, fire away.

Crean sucks for IU. I want him replaced with a much better coach. However, Crean...Damnit dude. I'm not going to defend the guy, but if he's gone and someone new is brought in, it better not be just some other coach. The replacement has to be elite. And the elite guys ain't coming unless the situation is right. And the situation won't be right if Crean is fired after what outsiders would consider a pretty good year. We'll once again have to compromise and take another less than elite coach who we'll have to fire again in a few years. What's the point of that, even if the new guy is a slight improvement over Crean?

This is a pretty realistic take on things, IMO. And Archie has Shaka Syndrome so far...never won a conference title.

This is dumb, but in your defense it's probably the dumbness our admin is infected with.

Like I said, who's been worse than Crean?

No one. There is a floor at a school like IU. It recruits itself.

With your philosophy, IU would've never hired Branch or Knight. Wisconsin would've never hired Bo. Duke would've never hired K. UNC would've never hired Smith. Unconn Calhoun. So on and so forth.

Basically, you're against the hiring strategy that resulted in some of the greatest coaches of the last half century. Genius!

You work for Fred Glass... don't you?

This is dumb, but in your defense it's probably the dumbness our admin is infected with.

Like I said, who's been worse than Crean?

No one. There is a floor at a school like IU. It recruits itself.

With your philosophy, IU would've never hired Branch or Knight. Wisconsin would've never hired Bo. Duke would've never hired K. UNC would've never hired Smith. Unconn Calhoun. So on and so forth.

Basically, you're against the hiring strategy that resulted in some of the greatest coaches of the last half century. Genius!

You work for Fred Glass... don't you?
He's clearly not proposing what it sounds like he's proposing, or he wouldn't offer Archie as an example of someone he'd be happy with.

Reactions: crimsonlaw and FL33

Honest question. Given the ego of an elite coach, do you not think that even if Crean were let go after this year, that that coach wouldn't look at the situation at IU and think that they could EASILY recruit just as well as Crean AND do A LOT more with said recruits? I'm not sure why people (not just you) think that elite coaches are a bunch of timid souls or are easily spooked. Most coaches look at the rabid fan base (that so many morans on the freebie say is a detriment) as a beautiful thing. They WANT that throng of people screaming at every sold out home game and following their every move. That's the appeal of IU or any other blue blood basketball coaching position.

He's clearly not proposing what it sounds like he's proposing, or he wouldn't offer Archie as an example of someone he'd be happy with.

I'll also add that in the few games I've watched of Dayton, I don't exactly get the hype. He's had some success in a smaller conference and a nice tourney run. That's the extent of what 90% of the people here see. After a small school makes a sweet sixteen here, people will fall in love with him.

That's not an analytical approach. That's chasing the shiny object.

If you're going midmajor, the search begins and ends with Greg Marshall. Of course...like always...the time to make that move was last year, and IU sat around with their thumb up their @ss and did nothing.

Reactions: crimsonlaw
I'll also add that in the few games I've watched of Dayton, I don't exactly get the hype. He's had some success in a smaller conference and a nice tourney run. That's the extent of what 90% of the people here see. After a small school makes a sweet sixteen here, people will fall in love with him.

If you're going midmajor, the search begins and ends with Greg Marshall. Of course...like always...the time to make that move was last year, and IU sat around with their thumb up their @ss and did nothing.
Marshall's impossible. No one can - or should - match that utterly ridiculous contract. You're right. Last year was the time for him. That train has left the station.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Die Ziege ist richtig.

The Koch Bros. helped Wichita St pay Marshall almost what Crean is making. He has 6 years -19 mil left on that contract. I have no knowledge about buyouts.

List: Archie Miller, Sean Miller (haha, I wish), Chris Mack, Brad Brownell, Messiah Stevens.

Daydreaming is over people. Crean will be at IU next year, barring another player running over another player.

Marshall isn't leaving Wichita. The Koch Bros have him locked up. This isn't the the 70s when Knight was hired when IU could take a chance on a relatively unknown 27 year old. If IU is sure they have a short list of elite or potentially pretty sure things who would come then they should make a move. The last search was a failure with zero coaches with those qualifications having interest. What has changed to make you that level coach would now be interested when they weren't for two straight searches?

And yeah, Crean is awful at the level IU is supposed to be. But he would be decent at an Illinois, Tennessee, and places without our expectations. As much of a clown as he is Davis was so much worse it's laughable. The program was in shambles when he left. At least we have some pretty good talent to build on now, even with some glaring holes. And Miller was just an example.

Last edited:
Die Ziege ist richtig.

The Koch Bros. helped Wichita St pay Marshall almost what Crean is making. He has 6 years -19 mil left on that contract. I have no knowledge about buyouts.

List: Archie Miller, Sean Miller (haha, I wish), Chris Mack, Brad Brownell, Messiah Stevens.

Daydreaming is over people. Crean will be at IU next year, barring another player running over another player.
LOL. His contract is WAY worse than you think it is. Here is what Marshall got:

1. Automatically renewing rolling 7-year contract.
2. Gradually working up to 3.5 million per year by 2021, and automatic raises after that each year.
3. Retains all rights to enter into his own endorsement and media deals*.
4. Buyout capped at $15 million.
5. Marshall's LDs if he leaves WSU early start at $500K and gradually drop to $200K over the next few years.

* Remember, most of Crean's "salary" is paid for by Adidas. Marshall gets the $3.5M from WSU, and then gets to negotiate his own shoe money on top of that.

It's an INSANE contract. It makes Crean look like he's working for minimum wage.

I'm no expert in sports contract law, but I've read a lot of coaches' contracts over the past few years as I was trying to make myself better versed at exactly what it would take to get rid of Crean. I have never seen anything like what Marshall got out of WSU. I don't care if it turns out Marshall is literally the second coming of Christ. If Glass gave any coach a contract like that, I'd lead the pitchfork and torch brigade right to his front door.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Honest question. Given the ego of an elite coach, do you not think that even if Crean were let go after this year, that that coach wouldn't look at the situation at IU and think that they could EASILY recruit just as well as Crean AND do A LOT more with said recruits? I'm not sure why people (not just you) think that elite coaches are a bunch of timid souls or are easily spooked. Most coaches look at the rabid fan base (that so many morans on the freebie say is a detriment) as a beautiful thing. They WANT that throng of people screaming at every sold out home game and following their every move. That's the appeal of IU or any other blue blood basketball coaching position.
As stated in my reply to FL33, I'm basing my opinion of elite coach's potential interest on nothing but history. When the best potential hires weren't interested, other than Cal, in either of our last two coaching searches what has changed to convince you it would be different now?

Reactions: MillerTime
LOL. His contract is WAY worse than you think it is. Here is what Marshall got:

1. Automatically renewing rolling 7-year contract.
2. Gradually working up to 3.5 million per year by 2021, and automatic raises after that each year.
3. Retains all rights to enter into his own endorsement and media deals*.
4. Buyout capped at $15 million.
5. Marshall's LDs if he leaves WSU early start at $500K and gradually drop to $200K over the next few years.

* Remember, most of Crean's "salary" is paid for by Adidas. Marshall gets the $3.5M from WSU, and then gets to negotiate his own shoe money on top of that.

It's an INSANE contract. It makes Crean look like he's working for minimum wage.

I'm no expert in sports contract law, but I've read a lot of coaches' contracts over the past few years as I was trying to make myself better versed at exactly what it would take to get rid of Crean. I have never seen anything like what Marshall got out of WSU. I don't care if it turns out Marshall is literally the second coming of Christ. If Glass gave any coach a contract like that, I'd lead the pitchfork and torch brigade right to his front door.

I wasn't kidding when I said that was Koch money behind that contract.

You're right. WSU had to make the contract public because of state law, but in real life, it wasn't public funds; it was Koch money. You were not joking.

I cannot fathom having their money. Not only are they contributing $1 billion to this presidential election, they are contributing to many state level elections as well. On top of that, they are going the Papa John's route and contributing to several universities with anti-liberal strings attached. David Koch donated $23 million to NPR. Suddenly, NPR is providing pro-fracking air time. Unreal.\

And people ask me why I hate crony capitalism.

I cannot fathom having their money. Not only are they contributing $1 billion to this presidential election, they are contributing to many state level elections as well. On top of that, they are going the Papa John's route and contributing to several universities with anti-liberal strings attached. David Koch donated $23 million to NPR. Suddenly, NPR is providing pro-fracking air time. Unreal.\

And people ask me why I hate crony capitalism.
I didn't hear about NPR. That's depressing.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
As stated in my reply to FL33, I'm basing my opinion of elite coach's potential interest on nothing but history. When the best potential hires weren't interested, other than Cal, in either of our last two coaching searches what has changed to convince you it would be different now?
Honestly, unfortunately, nada. I just so badly want to believe that IU could pull a page from the Michigan book and put on the full court press and go out and get that guy that everyone wants. (Yes, THAT guy). I truly believe that it could be done, just not by this AD and admin. *sigh*
So I guess the answer is that I believe it COULD be done but not by the same knuckleheads they've been pulling the trigger on previous hires. Let me dream already! lol

Honestly, unfortunately, nada. I just so badly want to believe that IU could pull a page from the Michigan book and put on the full court press and go out and get that guy that everyone wants. (Yes, THAT guy). I truly believe that it could be done, just not by this AD and admin. *sigh*
So I guess the answer is that I believe it COULD be done but not by the same knuckleheads they've been pulling the trigger on previous hires. Let me dream already! lol
Well, potential positives are that we could have had Beilein when IU hired Sampson instead. So there's that. And there is a lot more talent here than when Davis and Sampson left. We're past Sampson's debacle, and we have a state of the art practice facility now. Plus renovations are coming to AH.

Perrhaps another positive is that everyone hates Crean, so other candidates might not care if IU throws him to the curb. So maybe I should be more optimistic. Probably not though, and instead I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's canned and replaced with a competent, potentially elite, non clown show coach.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Marshall isn't leaving Wichita. The Koch Bros have him locked up. This isn't the the 70s when Knight was hired when IU could take a chance on a relatively unknown 27 year old. If IU is sure they have a short list of elite or potentially pretty sure things who would come then they should make a move. The last search was a failure with zero coaches with those qualifications having interest. What has changed to make you that level coach would now be interested when they weren't for two straight searches?

And yeah, Crean is awful at the level IU is supposed to be. But he would be decent at an Illinois, Tennessee, and places without our expectations. As much of a clown as he is Davis was so much worse it's laughable. The program was in shambles when he left. At least we have some pretty good talent to build on now, even with some glaring holes. And Miller was just an example.

Good god...are you an idiot? You missed the entire point.

You rarely hire an already elite coach. And if you do, they are halfway through their prime. You go looking for the guy with the potential to BE elite and give him a shot. Just like the guys I named. Ain't nothing changed from the 70s.

And I brought up Marshall as the only sure fire elite mid major coach that IU--predictably--waited too long on. It's idiots that think like you that are the reason we didn't fire Crean last year and go get him. Let's call it the ptownCramer strategy for the epically brain dead.

This fan base is so fvcking dumb I hope we keep Crean for ten more years and then lose for another 25 after that. It couldn't happen to a better brand of retards. Let's all clap, try real hard and wish ourselves into a better place!! Yay........

You rarely hire an already elite coach. And if you do, they are halfway through their prime. You go looking for the guy with the potential to BE elite and give him a shot. Just like the guys I named. Ain't nothing changed from the 70s.

And I brought up Marshall as the only sure fire elite mid major coach that IU--predictably--waited too long on. It's idiots that think like you that are the reason we didn't fire Crean last year and go get him. Let's call it the ptownCramer strategy for the epically brain dead.

This fan base is so fvcking dumb I hope we keep Crean for ten more years and then lose for another 25 after that. It couldn't happen to a better brand of retards. Let's all clap, try real hard and wish ourselves into a better place!! Yay........
Christ man. You really think this administration is going to identify and hire the next great up and coming coach? And I'm the idiot?

Far out man

Christ man. You really think this administration is going to identify and hire the next great up and coming coach? And I'm the idiot?

Far out man

That's not a reason to keep a coach.

At the worst it proves Glass's incompetence to his bosses and gets him fired sooner.

By your logic, we just keep Crean for 30yrs because we can never do better.

You do wax poetic.

Reactions: FL33
That's not a reason to keep a coach.

At the worst it proves Glass's incompetence to his bosses and gets him fired sooner.

By your logic, we just keep Crean for 30yrs because we can never do better.
No. We fire Crean. But after he shits the bed next season. Not right after he wins the BiG, if he wins it and doesn't flame out too badly at the end of this year. If, on the other hand, he does flame out these last couple weeks of the season, IU would have cover they need to fire him. That's consistent with what I've been saying this entire thread.

No. We fire Crean. But after he shits the bed next season. Not right after he wins the BiG, if he wins it and doesn't flame out too badly at the end of this year. If, on the other hand, he does flame out these last couple weeks of the season, IU would have cover they need to fire him. That's consistent with what I've been saying this entire thread.

That's fvcking dumb and indicative of a reactive approach instead of a proactive one.

7 years and a hundred some games in ,we all agree he needs to go. But you would base your decision on the outcome of 3 -7 games in Feb/march of 2016? Talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees.

Think about how stupid that sounds. It is the EXACT reason we didn't get Stevens. Crean had a little unexpected success...once.

Congrats, if your the AD your shitty, narrow logic just cost us another great coach. You will go down in history with other such luminaries as Fred Glass and the d!ckless wonder who hired Mike Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT