ADVERTISEMENT

Whoever's tweeting using the PeegsOTF handle...

IUdonger

All-American
May 26, 2006
Palatine Hill
stop getting me to get on the damn Crean bandwagon.

Crean will always be a "deflections, clappy" coach and unless we win a national title, I'd rather pork a fat chick.

This is pretty much what Fender looks like:

50512_5629949955_2107_n.jpg

Reactions: IUdonger
Nah.... Just Moops being Moops.

Unless people golf at night now.
I've played golf at night once. I think it was called Magic Hills outside of Columbia City.

Bunch of drunks and the mosquitoes were terrible. It was very much a safety hazard.

I hate to say it, but if IU were to take the step of firing Crean with that record and a top 2-3 finish in the B1G, it would seem pretty ridiculous. Regardless of what you think of him as a coach (and I'm one of those who feel he isn't exactly the best "in-game" coach (and I'm being generous in my description there) ) to put up that record, especially after Blackmon went down and after the early season showing in Maui, it is something of an accomplishment. You can debate exactly what brought about the change, as there are many factors in play, but for this team to come together and put forth the season that they have, regardless of how deep of a tourney run they make, is a surprise to many.

Clearly Crean isn't getting fired after this season.

Reactions: MaxCoke
I hate to say it, but if IU were to take the step of firing Crean with that record and a top 2-3 finish in the B1G, it would seem pretty ridiculous. Regardless of what you think of him as a coach (and I'm one of those who feel he isn't exactly the best "in-game" coach (and I'm being generous in my description there) ) to put up that record, especially after Blackmon went down and after the early season showing in Maui, it is something of an accomplishment. You can debate exactly what brought about the change, as there are many factors in play, but for this team to come together and put forth the season that they have, regardless of how deep of a tourney run they make, is a surprise to many.

Clearly Crean isn't getting fired after this season.
I tend to agree with you about him being back next year, but a loss in the first round of the NCAA would bring out a lot of irate fans and get the seat pretty hot again.

to put up that record, especially after Blackmon went down and after the early season showing in Maui, it is something of an accomplishment.

Accomplishment? As I've said before, Indiana has had its easiest schedule in a generation.

For the season up to this point, I would give Tom Crean a "Meets expectations".

And all it took was the aforementioned pu$$y schedule and Tom being forced to make different personnel decisions.

To me, not much has changed. Indiana still can't win on the road, in-game decision making isn't anywhere near what it should be for someone who's been doing this for 17+ years (unless you count ending the madness of switching defenses mid possession, which, as far as I'm concerned, even a talking monkey could understand is a bad idea), and the overall play of the team is still wildly inconsistent. I also don't believe this team is playing its best basketball of the season like other programs primed for a championship run.

Let's say Tom Crean stays...what happens next year when the schedule reverses, as it's wont to do, and the roster takes a step back? (anyone else think there won't be at least one surprise departure?)

We'll be right back in the Tom Crean comfort zone of 6th to 10th in the conference...trying to convince the selection committee that a win over the 'best' team in the Missouri Valley Conference, at home, should lead to a tournament appearance...

Last edited:
Accomplishment? As I've said before, Indiana has had the easiest schedule in a generation.

And all it took was the aforementioned pu$$y schedule and Tom being forced to make different personnel decisions.

To me, not much has changed. Indiana still can't win on the road, in-game decision making isn't anywhere near what it should be for someone who's been doing this for 17+ years (unless you count ending the madness of switching defenses mid possession, which, as far as I'm concerned, even a talking monkey could understand is a bad idea), and the overall play of the team is still wildly inconsistent. I also don't believe this team is playing its best basketball of the season like other programs primed for a championship run.

Let's say Tom Crean stays...what happens next year when the schedule reverses, as it's wont to do, and the roster takes a step back? (anyone else think there won't be at least one surprise departure?)

We'll be right back in the Tom Crean comfort zone of 6th to 10th in the conference...trying to convince the selection committee that a win over the 'best' team in the Missouri Valley Conference, at home, should lead to a tournament appearance...

Thon Maker

Make it so, Mr. Wesley.

Reactions: hoosierdug
Yeah, Tom Crean does amazing things with one and done talent...like miss the N.I.T.

Chasing players like this is what got him onto the hot seat in the first place. If a coach like Tom Crean wants any kind of sustained success, he needs to be bringing in 3-4 year guys and letting them develop within the program. But he's not doing that and is why Indiana is where it is. It's also why giving a ride to a guy like Priller is such a waste. That kid is never going to contribute and is taking up a scholarship that could be used on a player that could develop over time.

It's just a poorly run program.

From what I've read, I don't want Maker anywhere near Indiana.

Accomplishment? As I've said before, Indiana has had the easiest schedule in a generation.

If you read between the lines (and not quite between the lines in some parts of my post) you'll see I'm not the biggest of Tom Crean fans by far, for many of the reasons you mentioned in your post here. However, if his grade is "meets expectations" then you can't really fire the guy. You'd be sending a message that even if you meet expectations at IU it isn't enough and you have to exceed expectations or else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no where near sold that Crean is a long term solution at IU, but I cannot see how firing him after a season like this would do anything but harm IU's standing in the eyes of potential future coaches.

Reactions: MillerTime
Yeah, we won't have any clue what CTC's future is until after the tournament. Postseason success is too important to him this year.

Do you really think that if he either goes out in the first round, or only makes it to the round of 32 that firing is a realistic outcome? Just curious. I mean I understand there are lots of undercurrents here in play, but I would think that a top 3 finish (even with a weak schedule) would afford him extended time at the helm.

Do you really think that if he either goes out in the first round, or only makes it to the round of 32 that firing is a realistic outcome? Just curious. I mean I understand there are lots of undercurrents here in play, but I would think that a top 3 finish (even with a weak schedule) would afford him extended time at the helm.
Realistic? Sure. Probable? Meh. I dunno. I just know that the heat on his seat this season was not imaginary, and a good regular season followed by a postseason flop won't be enough to cool it down.

I think it if pisses off the right alumni enough and they make any back channel calls to believe they have a legit shot at Miller, Mack, Marshall, or Stevens (they wont get Stevens this year) then I would say anything is possible.

Accomplishment? As I've said before, Indiana has had its easiest schedule in a generation.

I'm going to grant you that our schedule has been easy. But compare it to MSU's schedule.

MSU
Home: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska
Away: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue
Home/Away: Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Wisconsin

IU
Home: Maryland, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue
Away: Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers
Home/Away: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Both only play each other once, obviously. Both only play Purdue and Maryland once. Both play Iowa twice. They have the benefit of playing Rutgers twice. While not identical, I think you could argue MSU's is easier. Yet they're 10-5 (and will finish 13-5). We may finish 13-5 too though.

Simply pointing out we're not the only team that has had a very easy schedule. But we've done pretty well with it.

Reactions: BaxterIU
I'm going to grant you that our schedule has been easy. But compare it to MSU's schedule.

MSU
Home: Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska
Away: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue
Home/Away: Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Wisconsin

IU
Home: Maryland, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue
Away: Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Rutgers
Home/Away: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Both only play each other once, obviously. Both only play Purdue and Maryland once. Both play Iowa twice. They have the benefit of playing Rutgers twice. While not identical, I think you could argue MSU's is easier. Yet they're 10-5 (and will finish 13-5). We may finish 13-5 too though.

Simply pointing out we're not the only team that has had a very easy schedule. But we've done pretty well with it.

"Easiest" relative to schedules Indiana has played in the past. Sorry for the confusion.

And MSU isn't burdened by the illusion that their coach has "figured things out" while hiding in the shadow of a watered down schedule.

Yeah, Tom Crean does amazing things with one and done talent...like miss the N.I.T.

Chasing players like this is what got him onto the hot seat in the first place. If a coach like Tom Crean wants any kind of sustained success, he needs to be bringing in 3-4 year guys and letting them develop within the program. But he's not doing that and is why Indiana is where it is. It's also why giving a ride to a guy like Priller is such a waste. That kid is never going to contribute and is taking up a scholarship that could be used on a player that could develop over time.

It's just a poorly run program.

From what I've read, I don't want Maker anywhere near Indiana.
This should be pinned. This. All day. Every day.
Crean didn't overcome the loss of Blackmon. He'd still be forcing him into the lineup, in spite of his nonexistent D. No, he lost him to injury and has benefitted from the insertion of somebody (anybody) into the lineup who can and will play even mediocre defense. He's clueless. If he weren't, OG would be seeing the floor a lot more.

If you read between the lines (and not quite between the lines in some parts of my post) you'll see I'm not the biggest of Tom Crean fans by far, for many of the reasons you mentioned in your post here. However, if his grade is "meets expectations" then you can't really fire the guy. You'd be sending a message that even if you meet expectations at IU it isn't enough and you have to exceed expectations or else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no where near sold that Crean is a long term solution at IU, but I cannot see how firing him after a season like this would do anything but harm IU's standing in the eyes of potential future coaches.

"Meets expectations" isn't going to get it done in year 8. Especially when you consider he's failed to meet them in the past several years...

I'll continue to believe that Tom's fate lies on the amount of Tournament success he has. Seeding is going to be very critical for this team as they absolutely suck away from Assembly Hall. They're not a very mentally tough team. But that's been par for the course for Indiana during Tom Crean's tenure.

Edit: Tom/Fred didn't do the team any favors re: Seeding with the way they built the non-conference schedule this year. And the B1G didn't either with their gift of this conference schedule. (and make no mistake, it's been an epic gift) It's going to come back and bite them in the arse for sure.

Reactions: Rangeline Fan
Crean isn't getting fired this year regardless. He could lose out from here and not get fired. You forget its Fred Glass behind him.

I've been as big of a crean detractor as possible but he's had a good 2nd half of the year after their rocky start.
They'll finish top 3 likely, maybe win it, probably get 1 win in the BTT if the draw is right and maybe win 1-2 in the NCAA.
Just hope he doesn't get an extension. That would be very fred glass

I don't care what people think about Maker and his entourage. If you think IU is squeaky clean right now you're nuts. A team with the current players expected to return, maybe sans Troy, add Thon would be really interesting to me.
RJ, Blackmon, Hartman or OG/ 3rd guard Newkirk, Thon, Bryant
Bringing DeRon Davis, Curtis Jones, Morgan, whomever is left out above, and Green.
Thats an interesting team to me. You could start 6'3, 6'4, 6'7, 7', 6'11
with plenty of height off the bench.
What if troy stayed and they lost some dead weight off the end of the bench (priller)
RJ, JBjr, Troy, Thon, Bryant
subs: Newkirk, Curtis Jones, Hartman, OG, Davis... Thats a top 10 maybe 5 team. If Blackmon doesn't want to defend then you move troy to the 2 and bring in Hartman or OG at the 4.
If he pulled in Thon and they brought everyone back they could (dumping Priller or dead weight) I'd tell him he has an extension on the line and that years record could yield him a 4 year extension.
Now excuse me I need to go throw up

Realistic? Sure. Probable? Meh. I dunno. I just know that the heat on his seat this season was not imaginary, and a good regular season followed by a postseason flop won't be enough to cool it down.

Tom Crean will be back next season. You have my Personal Guarantee.

Crean isn't getting fired this year regardless. He could lose out from here and not get fired. You forget its Fred Glass behind him.

I've been as big of a crean detractor as possible but he's had a good 2nd half of the year after their rocky start.
They'll finish top 3 likely, maybe win it, probably get 1 win in the BTT if the draw is right and maybe win 1-2 in the NCAA.
Just hope he doesn't get an extension. That would be very fred glass

I don't care what people think about Maker and his entourage. If you think IU is squeaky clean right now you're nuts. A team with the current players expected to return, maybe sans Troy, add Thon would be really interesting to me.
RJ, Blackmon, Hartman or OG/ 3rd guard Newkirk, Thon, Bryant
Bringing DeRon Davis, Curtis Jones, Morgan, whomever is left out above, and Green.
Thats an interesting team to me. You could start 6'3, 6'4, 6'7, 7', 6'11
with plenty of height off the bench.
What if troy stayed and they lost some dead weight off the end of the bench (priller)
RJ, JBjr, Troy, Thon, Bryant
subs: Newkirk, Curtis Jones, Hartman, OG, Davis... Thats a top 10 maybe 5 team. If Blackmon doesn't want to defend then you move troy to the 2 and bring in Hartman or OG at the 4.
If he pulled in Thon and they brought everyone back they could (dumping Priller or dead weight) I'd tell him he has an extension on the line and that years record could yield him a 4 year extension.
Now excuse me I need to go throw up
Is Glass really behind him still? I've seen several posts about pissed off big donors and the athletic dept getting irritated with the Crean family. Serious question, I don't pretend to be in the know from 2000 miles away.

Is Glass really behind him still? I've seen several posts about pissed off big donors and the athletic dept getting irritated with the Crean family. Serious question, I don't pretend to be in the know from 2000 miles away.

Here's my take. I think Fred would probably like to move on from Tom Crean. I recall a post (or maybe chat) earlier this season around Duke when someone "in a position to know" likened the relationship to a marriage gone bad. It was also about the time the sticky about coaching candidates showed up on the premie.

BUTT...since then we've won a ton of games and currently are in a position to win the conference. How The F do you fire a guy who wins the conference? Answer: You can't. Glass, regardless of what he or the mysterious "big donors" want, is painted into a corner with hands tied. Unless he's bringing in Brad Stevens (Spoiler: He's not) there's no way he could spin a coaching change now.

It should have happened last season. People would have understood. Instead it's just another IU AD bungle.

Again, Just my armchair take. I claim no sources.

If he stood behind him during losing seasons why would he abandon him when he finishes in the top 4 of the conference? don't be silly

Losing seasons at the beginning of Crean's time as coach were understandable, almost expected. Lack of Tournament success in years 6, 7, and possibly 8 and beyond, and you can see where things can start to turn. Throw in a historic amount of off-the-court issues that embarrass the program and University, to the point where the president has to come out and make a statement, and that only strengthens the argument.

I'm sure Fred loves to constantly hear from the donors and alumni during meet-and-greets about how upset they are regarding the state of the program. I wonder what it's like to open up his e-mail account everyday...?

Tom Crean may very well be the coach at Indiana next year. But it will only be because Fred couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Here's my take. I think Fred would probably like to move on from Tom Crean. I recall a post (or maybe chat) earlier this season around Duke when someone "in a position to know" likened the relationship to a marriage gone bad. It was also about the time the sticky about coaching candidates showed up on the premie.

BUTT...since then we've won a ton of games and currently are in a position to win the conference. How The F do you fire a guy who wins the conference? Answer: You can't. Glass, regardless of what he or the mysterious "big donors" want, is painted into a corner with hands tied. Unless he's bringing in Brad Stevens (Spoiler: He's not) there's no way he could spin a coaching change now.

It should have happened last season. People would have understood. Instead it's just another IU AD bungle.

Again, Just my armchair take. I claim no sources.
Fred Glass is chicken chit.

Losing seasons at the beginning of Crean's time as coach were understandable, almost expected. Lack of Tournament success in years 6, 7, and possibly 8 and beyond, and you can see where things can start to turn. Throw in a historic amount of off-the-court issues that embarrass the program and University, to the point where the president has to come out and make a statement, and that only strengthens the argument.

I'm sure Fred loves to constantly hear from the donors and alumni during meet-and-greets about how upset they are regarding the state of the program. I wonder what it's like to open up his e-mail account everyday...?

Tom Crean may very well be the coach at Indiana next year. But it will only be because Fred couldn't find a suitable replacement.
Yeah, I've been around Fred after hours at Farm and no one said anything like that to him.
I wasn't talking about IU's early years. I'm talking about the past 2 when IU has done nothing.
The fact that clappy is winning games has to feel good for fred who stood pat last year when there was nothing short of a lynch mob calling for Crean and Glass both.

Yeah, I've been around Fred after hours at Farm and no one said anything like that to him.
I wasn't talking about IU's early years. I'm talking about the past 2 when IU has done nothing.
The fact that clappy is winning games has to feel good for fred who stood pat last year when there was nothing short of a lynch mob calling for Crean and Glass both.

Then maybe it's not out in the open for the public to hear, but those conversations are definitely taking place.

Let's put it this way, if he doesn't act, then Fred will have to answer for why Indiana still hasn't had any success in the postseason going into years 9 and 10...

ADVERTISEMENT