ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa

What a piece of trash CMP is. What did he gain by saying those things? Hope it causes pause for future recruits going there. Sure as hell won't inspire any.

What a piece of trash CMP is. What did he gain by saying those things? Hope it causes pause for future recruits going there. Sure as hell won't inspire any.

Personally, I found myself nodding a lot during that interview. Yeah, there were a couple comments that smelled a bit like sour grapes regarding Haarms and Eastern. But his general thrust — that most players want to get to the NBA but few are willing to put in the extra work to get there and then conclude that they’ll have a better chance at a different program probably has a lot of hard truth to it. One thing he pointed out was how few transfers end up getting drafted - which is interesting considering the high number of transfers these days.

I suspect most high-level college coaches would at least agree with those general sentiments, leaving aside the specific cases of Haarms and Eastern.

Of course, having a better shot at the pros isn’t always going to be the primary reason somebody transfers. He mentioned that Haarms got beat out by Williams for the starting spot. Any coach would hope that a kid would respond to that by upping their effort to win it back. But not every kid will react that way, especially in Haarms’ situation where he could transfer without a year in street clothes. Peyton Ramsey just did the same thing, and who can blame him?

I give kudos to Painter for being so candid on this subject. It’s always refreshing to hear a coach move beyond the bounds of empty coach-speak platitudes.

Personally, I found myself nodding a lot during that interview. Yeah, there were a couple comments that smelled a bit like sour grapes regarding Haarms and Eastern. But his general thrust — that most players want to get to the NBA but few are willing to put in the extra work to get there and then conclude that they’ll have a better chance at a different program probably has a lot of hard truth to it. One thing he pointed out was how few transfers end up getting drafted - which is interesting considering the high number of transfers these days.

I suspect most high-level college coaches would at least agree with those general sentiments, leaving aside the specific cases of Haarms and Eastern.

Of course, having a better shot at the pros isn’t always going to be the primary reason somebody transfers. He mentioned that Haarms got beat out by Williams for the starting spot. Any coach would hope that a kid would respond to that by upping their effort to win it back. But not every kid will react that way, especially in Haarms’ situation where he could transfer without a year in street clothes. Peyton Ramsey just did the same thing, and who can blame him?

I give kudos to Painter for being so candid on this subject. It’s always refreshing to hear a coach move beyond the bounds of empty coach-speak platitudes.
I can understand why a coach would be upset because some kids leave. You put a lot of time and effort into these players and then they take off.

Look, as a fan of the game sure you can nod your head and agree with everything he said. I have no issue with the coach for even thinking it. It is completely different for him to come out and say it, no less with the audience he had when saying it.

So, let me get this straight, the coach is slamming him for not putting in the work but started him for a good portion of three years and when he wasn't starting he was getting off the bench pretty quick and still getting large minutes. So he is not putting in the work but yet CMP rewards him by giving him the minutes he did? Whose fault is that?

It is total sour grapes on his behalf and there is a reason we don't yet know why these players are transferring. There are ways to be candid and honest without calling out teenagers to early 20's, these are still kids. Kids that he recruited. Kids that he built a relationship with and their families.

As far as Ramsey goes, I feel for that kid because IMO he's better than Penix and don't blame him for transferring. Hope he doesn't show up in a big way and beat us.

I give kudos to Painter for being so candid on this subject. It’s always refreshing to hear a coach move beyond the bounds of empty coach-speak platitudes. I agree with this. Talk to me, no PC silliness. Give credit where it is due.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
I give kudos to Painter for being so candid on this subject. It’s always refreshing to hear a coach move beyond the bounds of empty coach-speak platitudes. I agree with this. Talk to me, no PC silliness. Give credit where it is due.
Totally agree. Painter has a culture and these guys decided that they weren’t willing to be a part of it. If you listen to what he said, there’s nothing offensive about it. It’s actually pretty refreshing. He won’t pay any price for this.

Wait....so Painter will accept transfers? I guess that is different somehow.
Painter divorced his wife, but that kind of quitting is different too...
Painter interviewed with Mizzou, but that is different also...
Eastern might have been a pain...but don't shit on a KID afterwards.
Fvck Purdue, and Fvck Matt Painter

I kind of thought so yesterday until I see where Eastern ended up. Painter probably knew what was happening when he spoke to Dakich. I would be pissed too at both Eastern and Michigan. If he went outside the conference that is one thing but what looks like possible tampering since he just went into the portal on Monday makes me think Painter was very polite.

Look, as a fan of the game sure you can nod your head and agree with everything he said. I have no issue with the coach for even thinking it. It is completely different for him to come out and say it, no less with the audience he had when saying it.

So, let me get this straight, the coach is slamming him for not putting in the work but started him for a good portion of three years and when he wasn't starting he was getting off the bench pretty quick and still getting large minutes. So he is not putting in the work but yet CMP rewards him by giving him the minutes he did? Whose fault is that?

It is total sour grapes on his behalf and there is a reason we don't yet know why these players are transferring. There are ways to be candid and honest without calling out teenagers to early 20's, these are still kids. Kids that he recruited. Kids that he built a relationship with and their families.

As far as Ramsey goes, I feel for that kid because IMO he's better than Penix and don't blame him for transferring. Hope he doesn't show up in a big way and beat us.
First of all, Ramsey is not better than Penix. That's ludicrous. Second, the only way we could play NW would be in the conference title game, so I could probably live with that.

So you’d rather coaches not say what they actually think?

These are two different subjects. Painter was talking about a kid being good enough to play in the NBA. You’re talking about a kid getting minutes in college.

It doesn’t take too much reading between the lines to figure out that one, if not both, of these kids were thinking that Painter and Purdue were thwarting their chances at making the pros. Well, maybe they’re just not good enough. But Painter’s obvious position is that they’d have to put in more effort if they want to do that. Think Victor Oladipo - the stories about him going the extra mile to improve are well-known.

Whatever the case, I think these kids are going to find out that Painter wasn’t what was keeping them from realizing their dream.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean they shouldn’t have been seeing the floor.

As far as Ramsey goes, I feel for that kid because IMO he's better than Penix...

I’m a big Peyton Ramsey fan. But he’s not better than a healthy Penix. Let’s hope he can stay healthy.

I can understand why a coach would be upset because some kids leave. You put a lot of time and effort into these players and then they take off.

That too. But, in addition, they seem to think their problem is their coach and team...whereas he thinks their problems are their own, and will follow them wherever they go until and unless they do something about it.

We'll agree to disagree on how CMP handled that talk yesterday. That being said, he probably knew about the Mochigan thing yesterday before we did. I still don't like it but can understand it a little more. FWIW I hope Eastern has a career day against PU next year.

On the Ramsey Penix thing, my feeling is Ramsey is a known commodity. He's a good QB and can run a little. Penix is Never healthy and might have a higher ceiling. I'd just rather have a 5th year senior who is a good qb

My question would be why would not one, but two different seniors leave without even telling their coach ahead of time? Doesn’t say much about the culture.

My question would be why would not one, but two different seniors leave without even telling their coach ahead of time? Doesn’t say much about the culture.
Reminds me of when Jason Collier and Luke Recker faxed their intentions to leave to Knight instead of telling him personally. If you have made up your mind to leave their probably is no easy way for you to handle-it doesn't make it right but understandable.

Reminds me of when Jason Collier and Luke Recker faxed their intentions to leave to Knight instead of telling him personally. If you have made up your mind to leave their probably is no easy way for you to handle-it doesn't make it right but understandable.
It’s not really understandable. There’s a clear lack of maturity if you’re not willing to go look the guy in the eye and tell him you’re leaving. We know for sure that both left without telling Painter? If so, that’s cowardly and reflects poorly on the players. Purdue has such a good culture that this can be considered addition by subtraction.

I'm glad you're not a coach because Penix is better than Ramsey and has a much higher upside. CTA and DeBoer saw that and made the correct call. Penix now has 2 full years in the S&C program and has gotten his body ready for the rigors of the big ten. I expect him to contend for the title of 2nd best QB in the conference behind Fields. I also wish Ramsey good luck at NU.

It’s not really understandable. There’s a clear lack of maturity if you’re not willing to go look the guy in the eye and tell him you’re leaving. We know for sure that both left without telling Painter? If so, that’s cowardly and reflects poorly on the players. Purdue has such a good culture that this can be considered addition by subtraction.

Kind of tough to look your coach in the eye and tell him when you're quarantined at home multiple hours from campus. By all accounts he texted Painter the night before and said he needed to talk to him the next day and told him then. No easy way to do it given the current climate we're in.

Kind of tough to look your coach in the eye and tell him when you're quarantined at home multiple hours from campus. By all accounts he texted Painter the night before and said he needed to talk to him the next day and told him then. No easy way to do it given the current climate we're in.
Provided that he actually spoke with him, then I have no problem with it. Another poster said he left without telling Painter. That would be cowardly, wouldn’t you agree?

Provided that he actually spoke with him, then I have no problem with it. Another poster said he left without telling Painter. That would be cowardly, wouldn’t you agree?
Him and Haarms both told Painter they were leaving, what they didn’t do is discuss it with him before deciding.

Him and Haarms both told Painter they were leaving, what they didn’t do is discuss it with him before deciding.

Optics are different given the current climate. Students have been on campus for nearly 2 months. There’s not a perfect way of doing this.

And that’s bad form, too. The guy who came to you and offered you a chance to play, on scholarship, in college is entitled to that kind of consideration.

Optics are different given the current climate. Students have been on campus for nearly 2 months. There’s not a perfect way of doing this.
You can’t call him or spend ten minutes chatting via video? There are ways to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT