ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be today's surprise Stud Signer?

By definition this class is not going to rank as high as others.

Small class and a ton of young talent blocking instant PT. Good problem to have.

Kevin Wilson had back-to-back classes with a higher average class ranking than Tom Allen's last 2 classes.
Not according to 247,
2011- .8113 2012- .8242 2013- .8335 2014- .8235 2015- .8378 (Wilson)
2016- .8367 2017- .8319 2018- .8490 2019- .8577 2020- .8486
(Allen)
Appears to me that Allen and staff have it hands down, and this years class (which isn’t complete) is essentially the same as 2018.

The class doesn't have any bombshells to be sure, but my first post on this site was that I expected this to be a "depth" class where they're looking to develop guys that might only be 1 or 2 year contributors.

I'm looking at the depth chart for next year and underclassmen to-be I'm seeing:
WR: Marshall (RS-So) Ellis (So)
OL: Bedford (So), Jones (RS-Jr)
TE: Hendershot (RS-Jr)
QB: Penix (RS-So) Tuttle (RS-So)
RB: Scott (Jr) Walker (Jr) James(So)

DL: Head (Jr) Bryant (RS-Jr) Elliott (Jr) Sio (So)
LB: McFAdden (Jr) Miller (RS-So) Jones (Jr)
Husky: Johnson (Jr)
DB: Mullen (So) Burgess (RS-Jr) Matthews (Jr) Taylor (Jr) Fitzgerald (RS-Jr) Williams (So)

Almost all of those guys are, more or less and for better or worse, known quantities.

Add in next years Senior class, which I personally consider to be strong:
Fryfogle, Whop, Cronk (hopefully), Ramsey (hopefully), Crider, Nworah, Jerome Johnson, Ziemba, Ball, & Layne.

So what this all tells me is that:
(1) IU has a ton of returning production and needed guys this year that they can develop.
(2) The 2020 season is going to be THE make-or-break year for Tom Allen. They can afford this class to fill in gaps and develop. But they're going to need to get some kids coming in next year that will be ready to seriously contribute by their 3rd year when all those Sophomores listed above have graduated.
(3) I also think the JUCO OL (Haggard) and Stanford OL (Powell) were really smart gets for, as CTA put it, to balance out the classes. If they can contribute and give the younger guys more room to grow without tying up a scholarship "waiting," then that's a great plan.
(4) Overall, next year is going to basically be cruise control in terms of roster because of all the returning starters & guys who played significant minutes. I have serious concerns about whether the coaches can parlay this season and hopefully a strong 2020 into the kind of recruits they're going to need to sustain it for another run.

Not according to 247,
2011- .8113 2012- .8242 2013- .8335 2014- .8235 2015- .8378 (Wilson)
2016- .8367 2017- .8319 2018- .8490 2019- .8577 2020- .8486
(Allen)
Appears to me that Allen and staff have it hands down, and this years class (which isn’t complete) is essentially the same as 2018.

I was using Rivals class rankings. I think everyone has enjoyed an increase in the composite scores over the last few years:

2015: 247 composites 799 ranked recruit was a .8535

2020: IU happens to have a .8535 rated recruit, 986 best.

Seems like recruits' ratings are sliding up, skewing your data. The goal is to beat your peers anyway, so these better recruits are still worse off against our peers.

Reactions: RedHeart
The class doesn't have any bombshells to be sure, but my first post on this site was that I expected this to be a "depth" class where they're looking to develop guys that might only be 1 or 2 year contributors.

I'm looking at the depth chart for next year and underclassmen to-be I'm seeing:

DB: Mullen (So) Burgess (RS-Jr) Matthews (Jr) Taylor (Jr) Fitzgerald (RS-Jr) Williams (So)

Almost all of those guys are, more or less and for better or worse, known quantities.

Fryfogle, Whop, Cronk (hopefully), Ramsey (hopefully), Crider, Nworah, Jerome Johnson, Ziemba, Ball, & Layne.

(1) IU has a ton of returning production and needed guys this year that they can develop.
(2) The 2020 season is going to be THE make-or-break year for Tom Allen. They can afford this class to fill in gaps and develop. But they're going to need to get some kids coming in next year that will be ready to seriously contribute by their 3rd year when all those Sophomores listed above have graduated.
(3) I also think the JUCO OL (Haggard) and Stanford OL (Powell) were really smart gets for, as CTA put it, to balance out the classes. If they can contribute and give the younger guys more room to grow without tying up a scholarship "waiting," then that's a great plan.
(4) Overall, next year is going to basically be cruise control in terms of roster because of all the returning starters & guys who played significant minutes. I have serious concerns about whether the coaches can parlay this season and hopefully a strong 2020 into the kind of recruits they're going to need to sustain it for another run.
we can't afford to have 2 "off" classes in a row. that will eventually come back to haunt you.

Reactions: TMFT
Everyone says by the time IU was 8-4, most kids had their choices locked in, so it's the 2021 class where we will hopefully see a jump. Why? B/C now after this season, a national bowl game on TV Jan 2, and perhaps another big OC hire, we're much more on the radar for better players as we'll be starting on them now thru summer camps, etc.

Let's say IU opens up the season next year with a win (perceived upset) at Wisconsin. That would be an example of how they start getting the 4-star types to start really looking at IU from the get go. I'd be bullish and remember, no one knows for sure how any recruit works out until they play 1-3 seasons. We have some size and athleticism and most of these guys will RS next year, but you never know who could breakout. Anything is possible ahead, and imagine if both 6'7 OL fill out and work out, that will look like a Wiscy Ol over time!
plausible.

With the exception of Rutgers, every team that we beat in the Big Ten, out-recruited us. Allen’s staff isn’t good enough. Simply put.

Maybe it would help a bit if we had more than two legit home games to bring these guys to? Unfortunately, both of those were over midway through the 3rd.

This bears repeating, especially today. We place too much emphasis on Recruiting Ratings. What is the difference between a high 3 Star Recruit and a low 4 Star Recruit? Maybe which Summer Camps they attended, maybe which Schools have offered them. I would rather have a 3 Star Recruit with ability who buys into your system, than a 4 Star with more ability who doesn't fit your culture or your School generally.

Then we get back to the Question of What is the Purpose of Recruiting Ratings? It isn't too assist Colleges by providing pertinent information to assist them in their Recruiting. It's to make the people who do this self important media stars by creating hype and chatter to make them money.

And last you have to think about the potential unholy alliance between recruiting services and those who run Summer Camps. Is there a Felicity Hoffman/Lori Loughlin situation? Do Rating Services approach parents and tell them that if their kid attends a particular Camp they will give their kid a better rating, and then accept a kickback from the Camp as a Referral Fee. Don't know for sure that it happens, but would it surprise anyone in this day and age? I guess it goes back to the punchline from that old joke. "Now that we have established Who and What we are, all that's left is to agree on the price.

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe

I call BS.

Let me shorten & rephrase this for you: CTA succeeded by recruiting a class full of guys not good enough to compete for early playing time.

The '18 class had 4 guys better than 5.6, including Penix at 5.8. Others were Rafferty, Walker & Head at 5.7. Then there were a bunch of guys at 5.6 who looked like they could play: Miller, C. Jones, Norris, Taylor, McCabe, Marozas + an AA PK.

The '19 class has 7 guys 5.7 or over, including 4 at 5.8: Robbins, Mullen, C. Williams, James. Whitner, Bedford & Passmore at 5.6 & Nofo, Jakes & Person at 5.5 looked like sleepers.

This class has 1 guy rated over 5.6: R. Williams at 5.8. And few other guys that really look interesting--Baldwin, Lewis, Neely-Whitley, Swinson. Quantity but not quality for the OL. They had guys that could have sweetened it at the end.....they just didn't get them.

This bears repeating, especially today. We place too much emphasis on Recruiting Ratings. What is the difference between a high 3 Star Recruit and a low 4 Star Recruit? Maybe which Summer Camps they attended, maybe which Schools have offered them. I would rather have a 3 Star Recruit with ability who buys into your system, than a 4 Star with more ability who doesn't fit your culture or your School generally.

Then we get back to the Question of What is the Purpose of Recruiting Ratings? It isn't too assist Colleges by providing pertinent information to assist them in their Recruiting. It's to make the people who do this self important media stars by creating hype and chatter to make them money.

And last you have to think about the potential unholy alliance between recruiting services and those who run Summer Camps. Is there a Felicity Hoffman/Lori Loughlin situation? Do Rating Services approach parents and tell them that if their kid attends a particular Camp they will give their kid a better rating, and then accept a kickback from the Camp as a Referral Fee. Don't know for sure that it happens, but would it surprise anyone in this day and age? I guess it goes back to the punchline from that old joke. "Now that we have established Who and What we are, all that's left is to agree on the price.

I think we could have really boosted our ratings if we simply recruited and signed 45 wide receivers in one class.

Could have had 10 deep on the depth chart!

I call BS.

Let me shorten & rephrase this for you: CTA succeeded by recruiting a class full of guys not good enough to compete for early playing time.

The '18 class had 4 guys better than 5.6, including Penix at 5.8. Others were Rafferty, Walker & Head at 5.7. Then there were a bunch of guys at 5.6 who looked like they could play: Miller, C. Jones, Norris, Taylor, McCabe, Marozas + an AA PK.

The '19 class has 7 guys 5.7 or over, including 4 at 5.8: Robbins, Mullen, C. Williams, James. Whitner, Bedford & Passmore at 5.6 & Nofo, Jakes & Person at 5.5 looked like sleepers.

This class has 1 guy rated over 5.6: R. Williams at 5.8. And few other guys that really look interesting--Baldwin, Lewis, Neely-Whitley, Swinson. Quantity but not quality for the OL. They had guys that could have sweetened it at the end.....they just didn't get them.

How does a former commit for Michigan go from 4 star to 2-star without a major injury or drop in performance?
You decommit from a major player and you instantly drop 2 stars?

That makes no sense.

It’s like the Purdue mentality.
“We really would like you to be a Boilermaker. Wait....what’s that? You signed with another school?
You’re trash anyway. We never wanted you. We’ve got walk-on’s better than you.”

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe
How does a former commit for Michigan go from 4 star to 2-star without a major injury or drop in performance?

That makes no sense.

“We really would like you to be a Boilermaker. Wait....what’s that? You signed with another school?

And....although Michigan was his only elite offer, he had a bunch of next tier offers....and he looked the part on his you tube video. He's not a small guy and has really good quickness.

That makes no sense.

I don't think he was ever a 4 star.

I was using Rivals class rankings. I think everyone has enjoyed an increase in the composite scores over the last few years:

2015: 247 composites 799 ranked recruit was a .8535

2020: IU happens to have a .8535 rated recruit, 986 best.

Seems like recruits' ratings are sliding up, skewing your data. The goal is to beat your peers anyway, so these better recruits are still worse off against our peers.
And you can skew rankings however you like to fit your narrative. I do agree your goal is to beat your peers, and I think at 8-4, Bucket, January bowl in Florida, we did pretty well at that this year.

Of course the things you say all have an element of truth to them. However, no fan of a team which has had (for them) a highly rated class ever makes this post.

Reactions: bang63

iv'e never put a lot of stock in recruit rankings either. i think it's more insightful to look at their offer lists. however this year i don't think we did too well in that area either did we?

Reactions: JWilk1234
iv'e never put a lot of stock in recruit rankings either. i think it's more insightful to look at their offer lists. however this year i don't think we did too well in that area either did we?

It doesn't look like it to me.

We do have to keep things in perspective. It's true that almost all of our guys had other P5 or close (ie U CONN, Memphis, Cincy) offers. In the early Wilson years 1/2 our recruits would have only MAC offers.

But I don't think this class sniffs 2018 or 2019. There are reasons why...not doubting that. Just ironic and IU-like that it happens after our first winning season in upteen years.

Reactions: kmathum

I don’t know about that.......a lot of the guys we got this year had many of the same competing schools we see in other years.

When Allen goes through the list, like he did last year, he always reveals info about battling other schools for kids. I know last year he said schools were making late pitches for guys he felt fortunate enough to hold on to.

Demarjhe Lewis - he was an Auburn commit and then he felt slighted. Did they recruit over him, try to get him back? Nobody knows the inside story but him and the coaches.

I see a lot of kids on Rivals that are 4-star players and you pull up the offer sheet and they may have one or two decent P5 offers and then a whole list of G5 offers. There are a ton of factors. Is a 3 star in a 6A school better than the 4-star in a 3A?

I’ve seen 4-stars that weren’t worth the ink they used on the LOI and 3-stars that are much better.

On that note, how is Braxton Burmeister doing at his 3rd school?

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
Is this really any different from years past? Seems to me we've done a good job finding the underrated kids and coaching them up.

The University of Kentucky just signed “8”, yes, “8”, Four-Star OL/DL. It is absolutely amazing the recruiting job that Stoops and his staff do down there. I’m sick of comparable schools like UK, bringing in guys that can actually recruit (Calipari, Stoops), and landing high end talent and having success. We get excited about top 150 recruits in basketball and anyone better than a 2 star in football.

This kind of acceptance is why we don’t ever win anything meaningful. I’m glad we won 8 games this year. It was a lot of fun. But we didn’t beat 1 good team with a pulse. If the Gator Bowl turns out to be the Insight Bowl 2.0, than everything I just said will be justified.

But I don't think this class sniffs 2018 or 2019. There are reasons why...not doubting that. Just ironic and IU-like that it happens after our first winning season in upteen years.
That's a fallacy. You know full well that most of these kids committed prior to the start of this season. We have dropped a bit from 2018 and 2019 recruiting levels which is almost certainly a function of the second consecutive 5-7 season in 2018. But we're working on a 9-4 (or, at worst, 8-5) season now and, given Allen's track record, particularly in Florida (did you know we'll be playing a bowl game there in two weeks?), it's reasonable to assume the 2021 recruiting class will be outstanding.

IU tweeted that he signed 3 hours ago.....2 before your post. Just fyi.
Was it included in a post in this thread? If so, I didn't see it.

Some come here for information, and don't necessarily follow IU's twitter feed. For the record . . .

I don't do Twitter,
Don't have a Facebook page,
Closed my LinkedIn profile
In a social media rage . . . .

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
The University of Kentucky just signed “8”, yes, “8”, Four-Star OL/DL. It is absolutely amazing the recruiting job that Stoops and his staff do down there. I’m sick of comparable schools like UK, bringing in guys that can actually recruit (Calipari, Stoops), and landing high end talent and having success. We get excited about top 150 recruits in basketball and anyone better than a 2 star in football.

This kind of acceptance is why we don’t ever win anything meaningful. I’m glad we won 8 games this year. It was a lot of fun. But we didn’t beat 1 good team with a pulse. If the Gator Bowl turns out to be the Insight Bowl 2.0, than everything I just said will be justified.

You do realize that the entire Big Blue Nation wanted to run Stoops out of town around 2016?

His seat was white hot with the fan base.
He currently has a losing record at UK and is 1-2 in bowls.

He started his UK career at 2-10, then 5-7, then 5-7, then started 2016 at 0-2 before going 7-3 down the stretch.

His recruiting took off in 2016 while they were still looking for the post season.

Reactions: 76-1
Of course the things you say all have an element of truth to them. However, no fan of a team which has had (for them) a highly rated class ever makes this post.
And there has to be a direct correlation between high recruiting ratings and winning programs. You dont see teams with mostly 2 and 3 star players playing for championships.

And there has to be a direct correlation between high recruiting ratings and winning programs. You dont see teams with mostly 2 and 3 star players playing for championships.
Hey, bang. It's me, the used car salesman. What happened to the thread you started this morning about recruiting? I can't find it anywhere!

But about your comment here, I see a team about to finish an 8 or 9 win season that is poised to leverage that for a best-ever recruiting class next year.

Stars and ratings have there place and who would not want their team full of 4 and 5 star players. However developed talent that stays 4 or 5 years can create a winning program, many higher ranked players leave early for the NFL. IU just had its best year in 25 years driven by an offense that was led by a 2 star (5.4) QB - Ramsey, a 2 star (5.4) playmaker- Whop, and a low 3 star (5.5) running back- Scott.

Hey, bang. It's me, the used car salesman. What happened to the thread you started this morning about recruiting? I can't find it anywhere!

But about your comment here, I see a team about to finish an 8 or 9 win season that is poised to leverage that for a best-ever recruiting class next year.
maybe you should try tv preaching. I'm guessing you whined to a moderator to pull the thread and I dont blame you.....it made you look like a carnival barker

You do realize that the entire Big Blue Nation wanted to run Stoops out of town around 2016?

His seat was white hot with the fan base.
He currently has a losing record at UK and is 1-2 in bowls.

He started his UK career at 2-10, then 5-7, then 5-7, then started 2016 at 0-2 before going 7-3 down the stretch.

His recruiting took off in 2016 while they were still looking for the post season.

Stoops has always been able to recruit. Joker Phillips ran that program into the ground.

I thought the word “mostly” was the operative word to cover their occasional highly ranked recruits. I doubt there are two P5 schools in the country that have enjoyed more consistent , long term conference success with fewer highly ranked recruits that those two.

And this goes back the the disparity in Rivals rankings that nobody seems to recognize. There is a definite geographic influence that is never factored in.

To put it bluntly: the linemen from states of Minnesota and Wisconsin (where these two schools draw a bunch from) are just better as 3 stars than the 3-stars in other states.

Rivals doesn’t factor in key things like school competition, classification and geography in their evaluations.

Reactions: midwolfe
I thought the word “mostly” was the operative word to cover their occasional highly ranked recruits. I doubt there are two P5 schools in the country that have enjoyed more consistent , long term conference success with fewer highly ranked recruits that those two.

That’s a direct result of the horribly lopsided divisions where they get to avoid O$U, UM, PSU, and MSU regularly. Never having to play more than 2 of them in the regular season.

Was it included in a post in this thread? If so, I didn't see it.

Some come here for information, and don't necessarily follow IU's twitter feed. For the record . . .

I don't do Twitter,
Don't have a Facebook page,
Closed my LinkedIn profile
In a social media rage . . . .

My intention was to let you know that he had signed and IU had confirmed it via twitter. He was in the fold pretty early on in the process.

That's a fallacy. You know full well that most of these kids committed prior to the start of this season. We have dropped a bit from 2018 and 2019 recruiting levels which is almost certainly a function of the second consecutive 5-7 season in 2018. But we're working on a 9-4 (or, at worst, 8-5) season now and, given Allen's track record, particularly in Florida (did you know we'll be playing a bowl game there in two weeks?), it's reasonable to assume the 2021 recruiting class will be outstanding.
Bowl: I think the drop is partially due to returning talent and lack of potential early playing time. (I have no facts to support my feeling. Huge Grin!) We' had some kids take a chance on us because they could play right away. Now it's a little different. Let hope 2020 is a killer class. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Bowlmania
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT